Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

The new Kataklysm is extremely good and cool, that's my hot take

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Shugojin posted:

Of all the embarrassing bands I like Ghost is actually one of the better ones :shobon:

I actually listened to/own Christopher Lee's extremely terrible album about Charlemagne, for one thing

It's real loving bad you guys but I like listening to the late Christopher Lee say/sing things

Hey his stuff rocks.

I still love Therion, but man they're a hard band to play loud in the car with the windows down.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

yay my favorite noodly woodly band Obscura has an album coming out in July. Kind of wish they brought back Fountainhead but I guess he didn't get along with the frontman.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Can’t wait for that Obscura album. The last one was so good.

Hot Diggity! posted:

John Darnielle is cool but I cannot get into them for the life of me

John Darnielle has the best taste in metal and I’m not even exaggerating. Anytime he tweets about an album I haven’t heard I listen to it asap and it ends up being great. He also happens to be a very strong Christian with incredibly nuanced and well thought out views on religion. He is a cosmic treasure.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
He wrote about Church of Misery in the New York Times. It was weird but great.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

The new Ihsahn is really good. Like god drat.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

CornHolio posted:

I still love Therion, but man they're a hard band to play loud in the car with the windows down.

Secret of the Runes is one of my all time favorite albums, but they sort of lost me after Gothic Kabbalah.

And the band itself is ultra cringeworthy.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

All Swedish metal bands except Bathory and Dismember (and I guess the small handful of bands who split up after like one ok album) are cringeworthy. Search your feelings etc etc

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Anything with LG Petrov is perfect and unassailable, though.

My point is that Therion take the cringe factor to cosmic levels. They're like a steampunk LARP group or something.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Jun 4, 2018

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

LG Petrov is some kind of swedish incarnation of the Buddha, imo

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

saviro posted:

liking ghost is like eating steak well done

in the end whoever does it is trash

still better than everything else in the mainstream rock, except for muse of course

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

You have something against red hot chili peppers my dude, i know they are into the lullabies business since a couple of years but still man

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Yeah - I was going to include them in my post, but then I thought I shouldn't since it's been 20 years since californication...

But since we took it this far back, I think the time is ripe to hate on depeche mode now. I loving hate depeche mode, they suck!!!!

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
aren't Covenant some goth techno group

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Just making sure everyone knows how embarrassing it is to be a fan of Therion.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
lol, just lol if you like anything

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

lol, just lol if you like the red hot chili peppers

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

i am cringe-diving on utube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ek1YWNAJ-K0

holy poo poo, thread. this 90's quality 3d animation music video is like a whole new level of cringe

more 2018 cringe:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8MqvUeDqL4

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

MikeCrotch posted:

aren't Covenant some goth techno group

Yeah, that's why the metal group changed their name to The Kovenant.

E: and the chili peppers haven't done anything good in like 27 years

Fenrir fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Jun 4, 2018

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

KozmoNaut posted:

Just making sure everyone knows how embarrassing it is to be a fan of Therion.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Fenrir posted:

E: and the chili peppers haven't done anything good in like 27 years

IDGAF, they made Blood Sugar Sex Magik and after that they can do whatever they like.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Impossibly, Therion went even further up their own asses following Gothic Kabbalah. Honestly that's their last good record.

However, Vovin is still a very good and potentially underrated symphonic metal album. Sirius B and Lemuria also are really good with some excellent production work.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Vargatron posted:

Impossibly, Therion went even further up their own asses following Gothic Kabbalah. Honestly that's their last good record.

However, Vovin is still a very good and potentially underrated symphonic metal album. Sirius B and Lemuria also are really good with some excellent production work.

Agreed on all counts.

Christofer Johnsson is extremely creative and talented, and also a complete weirdo sperglord. He runs the band with an iron fist, fires people almost randomly, truly deeply believes in dark magick or whatever, and is an active member of the nationalist (=anti-muslim) party Sverigedemokraterna, yet claims to not be racist because they have an immigrant bus driver where he lives, and he's quite nice.

Then again, Chuck Shuldiner ran Death with an iron fist and hired/fired people seemingly at random, and everybody adored/adores him.

So I dunno. Artists are weirdos, it's some kind of cosmic constant. And you need a strong personality to be a frontman for a succesful band. Witness the hubbub concerning Tobias Forge. Brilliant artist, very likely an rear end in a top hat.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

If you want a musical revolving door, peep Iced Earth's lineup changes.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Well, Jon Schaffer is also kinda special ;)

I mean, there's a whole Wikipedia page detailing current and former members of Iced Earth. That must be some kind of record.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Iced_Earth_band_members

Cervix-A-Lot
Sep 29, 2006
Cheeeeesy
Dimebag Darrel was overrated.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Chuck was a musical mastermind AND a lyrical genius tho

why are we comparing him to tuomas holopainen

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Cervix-A-Lot posted:

Dimebag Darrel was overrated.

And Kirk Hammett is a guitar virtuoso :smug:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Mr. Pickles posted:

Chuck was a musical mastermind AND a lyrical genius tho

why are we comparing him to tuomas holopainen

Holopainen made the greatest concept album ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWwSVOo5K_k

:colbert:

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Jun 4, 2018

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
The first three Iced Earth albums were so good

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

i was using that name to demean the Therion guy, but this is gonna be AWESOME!!! *clicks*

oh man, I had no idea about this

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

It is a masterpiece. I will hear no dissent.

(Don't wait for the metal to start, there is none.)

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

The only metal needed would be in the form of pennies and dimes, and gold nuggets

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

KozmoNaut posted:

Agreed on all counts.

Christofer Johnsson is extremely creative and talented, and also a complete weirdo sperglord. He runs the band with an iron fist, fires people almost randomly, truly deeply believes in dark magick or whatever, and is an active member of the nationalist (=anti-muslim) party Sverigedemokraterna, yet claims to not be racist because they have an immigrant bus driver where he lives, and he's quite nice.

Then again, Chuck Shuldiner ran Death with an iron fist and hired/fired people seemingly at random, and everybody adored/adores him.

So I dunno. Artists are weirdos, it's some kind of cosmic constant. And you need a strong personality to be a frontman for a succesful band. Witness the hubbub concerning Tobias Forge. Brilliant artist, very likely an rear end in a top hat.

Chrigel from Eluvietie is the same way. He seems to run the band as a tyrant, however he also does a giant amount of the actual composition and has let the other vocalists shine constantly so hes not just like greedily hoarding the creative work. It's his baby and hes not going to change. Whenever I've met him at a show he's always been a super nice dude. Hell Bob Ross was called a tyrant, not cause he was mean, but because he knew what he wanted and was not interested in changing it.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Vargatron posted:

I really, really unironically like everything after Gothic Kabbalah even. Sitra Ahra was good (not great) but Les Fleurs del Mal (sp?) was fantastic and I really like their newest album. I might be in love with Lori Lewis.

But yeah, that video is hilariously bad and their current image is :wtf:

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
I always thought Annihilator was the leader in lineup changes

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

KozmoNaut posted:

Agreed on all counts.

I would have loved to have witnessed the messy drama generated by Chuck Schuldiner and Paul Masvidal being in the band at the same time

One of my old clubbing friends was always going on about how he wished Dave Mustaine and Jeff Waters had done an album together like I think they planned to back in the 80's. It would have been amazing but there's no way it would have ended without or both of them killing each other.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

KozmoNaut posted:

Holopainen made the greatest concept album ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWwSVOo5K_k

:colbert:

The amazing thing is when he made an album about Scrooge McDuck (apparently Finns love Scrooge for w/e reason) it somehow managed to be less cheesy than any single Nightwish album, or indeed single line of lyrics, ever!

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

tote up a bags posted:

The amazing thing is when he made an album about Scrooge McDuck (apparently Finns love Scrooge for w/e reason) it somehow managed to be less cheesy than any single Nightwish album, or indeed single line of lyrics, ever!

Leave it to the Finns to create a symphonic concept album masterpiece about a family of cartoon ducks.

The whole Donald Duck family is hugely popular in all of Scandinavia. I'm not sure why, but we're completely obsessed with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Dadbod Apocalypse posted:

I always thought Annihilator was the leader in lineup changes

Only metal adjacent but check Shai Hulud’s Wikipedia page