Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Arcsquad12 posted:

Titan remnants are much better at hiding within the Federation because you don't see them starting any more uprisings when there are plenty of Zeon remnants who will gladly scapegoat themselves. Then the titan pilots get to do what they love. That Byarlant Custom pilot was probably having a blast putting down spacenoids.

They should do another Gundam movie set in the late UC that's just Patlabor 2 but Gundam

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

Titan remnants are much better at hiding within the Federation because you don't see them starting any more uprisings when there are plenty of Zeon remnants who will gladly scapegoat themselves. Then the titan pilots get to do what they love. That Byarlant Custom pilot was probably having a blast putting down spacenoids.

I mean, there was that one time with the New Desides.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Zedd posted:

I agree that Full Frontal should have been a True-Believer emulating Char as best as he could, with the magic-carpet-ride near the end being Char/Amuro telling him he's a dumbass (Assuming the tripping balls scene has to stay).

char: newtypes evolution hmanity gravity earth souls age intent

frontal: what

amuro: he...he means you're being dumb

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

i just finished unicorn and lapace box is one of the dumbest things in the entire gundam series and that last episode is up there with 0083 in terms of being stupid as hell

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
If vampires exist, then give them priority in leading the government

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

full frontal sucks because you can tell they wanted to use char, but they couldn't because that would be hosed up, so they give us a fake-char, who is char is his basic personality and beliefs but lacks any of the character and nuance and humanity that char had so all of his actions feel empty. he's an empty vessel! he calls himself a vessel, and maybe that was what they were going for, but they don't do anything with it so he's just some boring antagonist who fades to dust because newtypes or whatever

char can't be in gundam unicorn. even so, char is in gundam unicorn

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

If vampires exist, then give them priority in leading the government

It's been done

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Microcline posted:

It's been done

This is the one where you have to choose between either going to either the north or south pole in the vampire ufo so the vampires could open the windows and get fried by the sun right?

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Parallax posted:

i just finished unicorn and lapace box is one of the dumbest things in the entire gundam series and that last episode is up there with 0083 in terms of being stupid as hell

Laplace's Box is way dumber than anything in 0083. Even Kou's irrational distaste for carrots.

vvv We agree, at least a VA joke is a good in joke and solid trivia.

The Notorious ZSB fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Jun 4, 2018

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The Notorious ZSB posted:

Laplace's Box is way dumber than anything in 0083. Even Kou's irrational distaste for carrots.

Kou has the same voice actor as Vegeta. It was just a stupid VA joke. The joke behind laplaces box is that someone somehow managed to get it published without realizing how loving dumb it was.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Laplace's Box is a cool concept that is just executed in a way that doesn't make too much sense, so pretend the actual text of the charter was about space colony independence and not about "maybe if newtypes exist they should be recognised??"

Caros
May 14, 2008

Lemon-Lime posted:

Laplace's Box is a cool concept that is just executed in a way that doesn't make too much sense, so pretend the actual text of the charter was about space colony independence and not about "maybe if newtypes exist they should be recognised??"

Yeah, a line about how space colonies were originally supposed to become fully independent in UC 0100, have a fully representative presence in the federation government, or something similar would have the same general effect without relying on space wizards. It would still be entirely symbolic, just less dumb.

DKD
Dec 25, 2011
It makes sense if we knew that theories about Newtypes were a big thing at the time the charter was written. Thematically, it would fit in well with the ideas of progress and change in the minister's speech, and as tacit acknowledgment that Earth had wronged the people it had banished to space. Both his speech and Marida's speech in the church put forth the idea that old religions were being replaced by a belief that change would come from humanity itself changing.

I suspect that the fixation with an altered founding charter has a lot to do with contemporary Japanese issues surrounding their own constitution, specifically the parts concerning demilitarization; from what I've heard about the right-wing ultranationalism of the author of the original novel, that would put a rather unpleasant spin on things.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer
I kinda wish they'd ended Unicorn with the reaction to the Laplace's Box reveal being a bored shrug from the federation bigwigs, an order to fire Gryps II again, and a smash cut to the credits. It's only slightly dumber than McGillis's plan to take over by stealing a symbolic Gundam.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Unicorn's biggest problem to me is that what it actually precluded it from being what it wanted to be.

The series spent a lot of time trying to make it thematically about the possibilities of the future, something hard to miss because Banagher never shuts up about it. The problem is that this is set in UC 96, and we know what happens next IE a shitton more pointless wars and a lot more meaningless exploitation and suffering. Unicorn steps up to the plate and goes "Maybe the future will be bright!" in a setting that's already marked to have Mufti's rebellion, the Mars Zeon war, the Cosmo Babylonia wars, the Zanscare invasion, war against your choice of either CONSENT or the Man-Hunting Attachment, and on and on up till the Turn A Gundam destroys the world and we eventually land in the Correct Century. Banagher comes across as especially naive and foolish to believe in peace in our time in a setting are driven with strife as the Universal Century. For Unicorn to have worked, for it to have a hopeful message of surpassing the past and breaking the chains of inheritance, for it to have succeeded at its CORE MESSAGE Unicorn absolutely could not have been in the Universal Century. I get it was there for marketing reasons basically, but Unicorn falls flat when put into context.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Laplace having the "space adapted humans" clause is so stupid, because humanity could have adapted to space by some weird biological mutation that resulted in them being more tolerant of radiation or some bullshit. So just by that fact, they'd get a priority in the government administration. The wording is way too vague to make any sense and be including in the constitution/charter of a a government. It's like the founders somehow knew that newtypes would show up a good 60 years prior to Zeon Deikun first proposing it! What are the odds!

Also as Omnicron said, the whole possibility argument falls flat we we know the future of the Universal century already. Hint: it's not a happy place.

DKD
Dec 25, 2011
But a big part of that is that you should try to do good regardless, instead of sinking into nihilism like Full Frontal. Just because catastrophes and atrocities will happen doesn't mean that you should shrug your shoulders and let the killing continue unabated just because you know it'll happen at some point regardless. If I could send a message to a pacifist or progressive reformer in 1920s Germany, I don't think I would say something like "Don't bother, in a few years fascism will win, millions will die, and the continent will be shattered for generations. Enjoy the cabarets while you can."

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Parallax posted:

full frontal sucks because you can tell they wanted to use char, but they couldn't because that would be hosed up, so they give us a fake-char, who is char is his basic personality and beliefs but lacks any of the character and nuance and humanity that char had so all of his actions feel empty. he's an empty vessel! he calls himself a vessel, and maybe that was what they were going for, but they don't do anything with it so he's just some boring antagonist who fades to dust because newtypes or whatever

I find it kind of hard to see how he's Sunrise wanting to use Char without using Char when (a) they could easily come up with a guy in a mask and call it A Char if they really wanted, given they've already been doing it for years, (b) they show Char as dead at the end of the story when it wasn't necessary given the ending of Char's Counterattack already painted him as probably dead, closing the door on using him for the future, at least chronologically when it wasn't necessary to do so and (c) while Frontal might look, sound and fight like Char he doesn't think or act remotely like him at all. He doesn't have Char's intensity, pride or passion and both his plan and his goal reflect that. Char cared about revenge and fulfilling his father's ideals in some way at various points (whether you think those ideals are Newtypism or Contolism), while Frontal just wants to free the Colonies because he sees that as the will of the majority. Which he wants to do by simple economic extortion rather than any kind of political or martial means. He doesn't even voice any particular personal connection to that goal, he's just doing it because he sees it as what's best in a Utilitarianist way (i.e. "the greatest good for the most people").

Full Frontal is as much a copy of the original as any other A Char really; he's just given a more definite connection to the original character than any of the others. Zechs is more of a copy of Char in some ways, since Zechs flat out copies Char's backstory and motives for much of Wing as well as his personal style.

If Full Frontal is to be said to suck, it's because his character is given no definite backstory within the actual OVA and his final actions are to turn the Mega Size Zeong in to a magical school bus so he can bring Banagher on trip to the end of time because nihilism before they have a really week argument about the purpose of action and then give up and die. Which does suck, even if I like the idea of having the central conflict resolved by argument rather than conflict; the execution was so weak either way that it falls through on that part. On the whole though, I actually quite like his character as a contrast to the actual Char. He had his own goals and went about things his own way, and wasn't boring or maaaad like Zechs, Rau, Zeheart or half a dozen other Char's throughout Gundam's history and that puts him on a good footing all on it's own to my mind.

Caros posted:

Yeah, a line about how space colonies were originally supposed to become fully independent in UC 0100, have a fully representative presence in the federation government, or something similar would have the same general effect without relying on space wizards. It would still be entirely symbolic, just less dumb.

It'd be less dumb, but I can also see why they didn't do it: because while Newtype inclusion in the government isn't as relevant to UC overall, a lack of it in future doesn't really reflect on the protagonists or their hopefulness for the future since Newtypes became less prominent and there really weren't many around to include, even if the Federation wanted to. Plus, there absolutely could be some involved in the government by F91 or Victory, but we so rarely see any of the individuals making up the Federation that we'd have no way to confirm or deny it. By contrast, having the line be about colonial independence is a lot harder to fit in while not making Banagher and Mineva look naive, since the Colonies demonstrably don't have independence at any point we know of in UC.

What's weirder to me is that when Frontal is explaining his plan aboard the bridge of the Nahel Argama, he starts by saying "we all know the Federation will never grant independence to the Colonies", before outlining what he wanted to do. Which is bullshit. Side 3 was autonomous before the One Year War, Side 6 was fully independent during it, the Federation gave Neo Zeon Side 3 as an independent zone during ZZ and the Federation were conducting a negotiation with Char's Neo Zeon early in Char's Counterattack for the sale of land; meaning they had to be willing to recognize Neo Zeon as an independent faction then too, because you can't form a treaty with a non-state of any kind. Side 3 and the Colonies could have some kind of independent nation on several separate occasions, but the leaders of all those factions piss the chance away every time in a bid for personal power. And yet the Federation are the ones Spacenoids are angry at every time we ever see any kind of blame going on.

I suspect Surnise are quietly retconning bits of Gundam to include Newtypes being more central to the various conflicts around Zeon than they really were in the actual animations, and for the Federation to be more of a poo poo than they were in the actual animations. The Hathaway's Flash animation will probably make those suspicious definite, since the dickishness of the Federation is a central point of it. Though honestly, even Tomino seemed to indulge in that himself; since while Newtypes are barely mentioned in the 0079 TV show, they're given more prominence in the movie trilogy, with Gihren and Degwin mentioning waiting for them to become a reality as the final goal for Zeon during the Hitler comparison scene, and Sayla and Char talking about how she thinks Char wants to form a nation for Newtypes during their confrontation in Texas for instance.

DKD posted:

I suspect that the fixation with an altered founding charter has a lot to do with contemporary Japanese issues surrounding their own constitution, specifically the parts concerning demilitarization; from what I've heard about the right-wing ultranationalism of the author of the original novel, that would put a rather unpleasant spin on things.

I've heard rather conflicting reports on the author over the years, both that he's a right wing nut with many comparisons to Tom Clancy (who I assume is ultra right wing, being unfamiliar with his work beyond the guy's name) and that he's not actually ring wing with those prior reports being grossly exaggerated. So I'm not really sure which of them to believe. That said, I do suspect that the author had gently caress all to do with the story's outline because individual author's often don't when writing prominent EU stuff for an existing franchise. Star Wars EU authors for instance often have the outline of the work they're to write handed to them, with the story group being the ones deciding what direction the EU is going for at any given time and deciding who should write what. Fukui has confirmed in post Unicorn interviews that he had less power than people assume, and that he was informed that Unicorn would be an OVA even before he took the contract to write it. If Sunrise were planning on making this an animation all along, there's no way they'd just let him write what he wanted and weren't going to meddle and dictate to some degree.

Plus, given that the gist of the show is: "yeah, the charter was changed without our knowledge but using that as an excuse for war would be bad, so don't do that poo poo okay?" I'm not sure how that could really reflect the author's right wing nationalist leanings even presuming he has some.

ANAmal.net posted:

I kinda wish they'd ended Unicorn with the reaction to the Laplace's Box reveal being a bored shrug from the federation bigwigs, an order to fire Gryps II again, and a smash cut to the credits. It's only slightly dumber than McGillis's plan to take over by stealing a symbolic Gundam.

Only a handful of people know the actual contents of the box, and those that do are terrified of it getting out because it could be used as an excuse to start a new war. Which it absolutely could in UC, given that there have been several revolutions by Spacenoids prior to that point; many with less excuse. I don't really see why Frontal wanting to use that fear as a bargaining chip to buy the decade or so extra time he'd probably need to organize an economic revolution that would exclude the Earth Federation and give the colonies power within the Earthsphere is particularly dumb. Especially when that fear is already working, given that said fear is allowing Syam Vist to bribe the Earth Federation.

All of Bael's power was purely symbolic. Laplace's Box has demonstrable economic power and Frontal wanted it for economic power himself. What's dumb about that?

Monaghan posted:

Laplace having the "space adapted humans" clause is so stupid, because humanity could have adapted to space by some weird biological mutation that resulted in them being more tolerant of radiation or some bullshit. So just by that fact, they'd get a priority in the government administration.

Do people still genuinely not realize the wording only says the priority will be in "involving" them in the administration of the government and not in their position within the government? All it is is a rule that stops exclusion based on race, not some kind of exceptionalism.

Monaghan posted:

It's like the founders somehow knew that newtypes would show up a good 60 years prior to Zeon Deikun first proposing it! What are the odds!

Probably about the same as Zeon Deikun first proposing the theory despite there being nothing to hint Newtypes would be a thing? Why is it a problem that Zeon Deikun could prophesize them with nothing to base it on, but someone else couldn't do it before him?

DKD posted:

But a big part of that is that you should try to do good regardless, instead of sinking into nihilism like Full Frontal. Just because catastrophes and atrocities will happen doesn't mean that you should shrug your shoulders and let the killing continue unabated just because you know it'll happen at some point regardless. If I could send a message to a pacifist or progressive reformer in 1920s Germany, I don't think I would say something like "Don't bother, in a few years fascism will win, millions will die, and the continent will be shattered for generations. Enjoy the cabarets while you can."

More than that, they were mostly trying to convince people to stop going to war over Zeon. Which happened. At no point that I can recall are Banagher or Mineva trying to stop people from ever fighting again in favor of friendship circles or something. They knew war was going to happen and wanted people to get over the past, not keep digging it up as an excuse to fight a new. Which is a pretty decent message and doesn't seem all that naive to me.

Edit: it occurs to me that some of my posts in this thread are a little verbose, which I realize not everyone will like and may annoy more than intrigue. I tend to have a lot to say on Gundam, even if I don't say it all that well going by the last exchange, but if I'm being overly wordy it's probably best to tell me now so I can try and tamp it down in future.

tsob fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jun 4, 2018

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

tsob posted:

Only a handful of people know the actual contents of the box, and those that do are terrified of it getting out because it could be used as an excuse to start a new war. Which it absolutely could in UC, given that there have been several revolutions by Spacenoids prior to that point; many with less excuse. I don't really see why Frontal wanting to use that fear as a bargaining chip to buy the decade or so extra time he'd probably need to organize an economic revolution that would exclude the Earth Federation and give the colonies power within the Earthsphere is particularly dumb. Especially when that fear is already working, given that said fear is allowing Syam Vist to bribe the Earth Federation.

All of Bael's power was purely symbolic. Laplace's Box has demonstrable economic power and Frontal wanted it for economic power himself. What's dumb about that?

I guess it's been a while, but I thought Unicorn ended with Mineva broadcasting Leplace's secret extra constitutional article to the entire Earth sphere, so everyone had it, though I could be remembering it wrong. I also probably should have described Full Frontal's plan as less dumb than McGillis', not more dumb. It's still an outdated version of a founding document that was superseded almost as soon as it was written because someone blew the place up. It doesn't have the force of law behind it, and after seeing Zeon repeatedly get slapped around I don't think there are any spacenoid separatists still alive.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

ANAmal.net posted:

I guess it's been a while, but I thought Unicorn ended with Mineva broadcasting Leplace's secret extra constitutional article to the entire Earth sphere, so everyone had it, though I could be remembering it wrong. I also probably should have described Full Frontal's plan as less dumb than McGillis', not more dumb. It's still an outdated version of a founding document that was superseded almost as soon as it was written because someone blew the place up. It doesn't have the force of law behind it, and after seeing Zeon repeatedly get slapped around I don't think there are any spacenoid separatists still alive.

Unicorn involved dozens of Spacenoid Separatists coming crawling out of the woodwork, with their mobile suits all jazzed up, and managing to entangle the Federation as a distraction while more Spacenoid Separatists were going about their own thing. Mineva definitely does broadcast the full text of the article along with footage of it's original tablet to the whole world but Frontal was never after the charter as an end in and of itself; he wanted the charter so he could keep it private while using it to bribe the heads of the Federation like Syam Vist had. He wasn't looking for money, just time. Time that he could use to extend the life of Side 3's independence long enough to form a Spacenoid economic bloc that would then shut out the Earth and be able to take full independence from an impoverished Earth. Which seems like a perfectly viable plan to me. The idea of bribing the Federation using the charter is demonstrably possible, because Syam Vist has been doing it for decades. He didn't even need that long; just another decade or maybe two instead of the 4 years Side 3 had before it was folded back in to the Federation in UC0100.

tsob fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Jun 4, 2018

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My favorite part of Unicorn was the Zeon Remnant. I don’t like the acid trip ending and I wish there was more to Full Frontal...but I will say after like a year the Unicorn suit is finally starting to grow on me a bit.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

tsob posted:

Do people still genuinely not realize the wording only says the priority will be in "involving" them in the administration of the government and not in their position within the government? All it is is a rule that stops exclusion based on race, not some kind of exceptionalism.

How does that work? This is my big problem with the document. It makes no loving sense. What does involving them mean? Administration in government is big difference from voting or what not. Administrators in government are government officials in the executive branch, not the layman. Or with that logic, is every one in a democracy involved in the Administration of government? We vote on the leaders after all. But adminstration of government implies decision making power of some degree, which the stupid working of the charter doesn't make clear. Does this mean that space adapted humans get to make some form of policy decisions? Furthermore, the document also says "given priority"
Priority over whom? Do they get more of a say than other non-space adapted spacenoids? The whole wording of the document is a complete mess.

tsob posted:

Probably about the same as Zeon Deikun first proposing the theory despite there being nothing to hint Newtypes would be a thing? Why is it a problem that Zeon Deikun could prophesize them with nothing to base it on, but someone else couldn't do it before him?

Because it's never brought up before Deikun, until Unicorn retcons it. . Deikun's claim was revolutionary and he told people about it. Someone in the government brought up the idea of space adapted humans. It was such a big deal that they decided to put it in the constitution of their government. Were there any public discussions that occured surrounding this? If it was widely accepted that space adapted humans would exist, why was Deikun's claim so controversial and revolutionary?

Deikun's claim was more of a philosphical thing- it wasn't something that was enshrined in a legal document.

Monaghan fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jun 4, 2018

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I still hope Gaia Gear gets the full series treatment one of these days. Keeping the soundtrack of the radio drama because it's sooooooo good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLPxFAsodN8

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Monaghan posted:

Because it's never brought up before Deikun, until Unicorn retcons it. . Deikun's claim was revolutionary and he told people about it. Someone in the government brought up the idea of space adapted humans. It was such a big deal that they decided to put it in the constitution of their government. Were there any public discussions that occured surrounding this? If it was widely accepted that space adapted humans would exist, why was Deikun's claim so controversial and revolutionary?

Deikun's claim was more of a philosphical thing- it wasn't something that was enshrined in a legal document.

Yeah, this retcon bugged me a lot, even more than the inherent stupidity of writing a clause about theoretical space wizards into a founding governmental document. A huge central pillar of Zeon Deikun's space messiah status is that he's supposed to be the philosopher who, in summary, proposed that people living in space would evolve, so people should live in space. This is a central pillar of the Gundam backstory and it drives a lot of the OYW; exploiting this philsophy and riding Zeon's popularity coattails is how the Zabis came to power, after all. Then Unicorn has the government write something similar to newtype theory into a document written 60 years before Zeon came up with it and I guess literally everybody forgot about it or agreed not to talk about the idea anymore, despite the indisputable fact that enshrining something into a government document would require a fair amount of people to be aware of it?

Re: Full Frontal Chat, Full Frontal's plan was honestly one of the best thought out and interesting ideas of Unicorn. It's a gritty, dirty, practical realpolitik solution to the "problem" of colonial independence, and his way of going about it was actually intelligent and made sense; he didn't give a poo poo about what was in the box, only its power as a threat. It's a shame that they ruined the idea of an utterly practical Char by throwing in all of the newtype nihilism garbage at the end.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

there's also the fact that Deikun created his philosophy after people had been living in space for a while, possibly from observing people living in space? not just, "hey here's something that might happen, eventually"

when you see what lapace's box is its such an obvious contrivance, everything from how its worded to what its implications are supposed to be. they even try to downplay its meaning in the show, saying that whatever it said was no longer as important as the Feds keeping something secret. you can logic it out all you want but as a device in a show that's telling a story it falls flat on its loving face

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

also I agree that Full Frontal's plan is totally sound, I just wish they spent a "little" bit more time fleshing him out, even if that's time spent reiterating that he himself feels like he's a hollow shell of a human being

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Parallax posted:

also I agree that Full Frontal's plan is totally sound, I just wish they spent a "little" bit more time fleshing him out, even if that's time spent reiterating that he himself feels like he's a hollow shell of a human being

My ideal Full Frontal is one who does broadly the same things, but instead of being a cyber newtype clone "vessel", he's a bitter and burned out colonial separatist who is cashing in on Char's image and prestige to manufacture support for an actual, practical, workable plan for colonial independence instead of grandiose stupidity like throwing rocks at the Earth or trying for world domination, with a final confrontation based on whether not it's right for the spacenoids to leave the Earth to wither and die rather than a debate about nihilism at the end of time.

This serves the dual purpose of making your antagonist an interesting and sympathetic character while also making the final conflict not a stunted rehash of a story that was already done. It also lines up with how Frontal acts; a man who sees the true value of the Box as a propaganda tool and weapon is a man who is also likely to see the same characteristics in utilizing the image of the Red Comet, even if the substance of both of those things is ultimately false.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jun 4, 2018

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Parallax posted:

In what way is Frontal's plan sound? It's a rehash of Japan's plan to strangle the USA economically in WW2, but even that was probably inspired by Napoleon's Continental System which, spoiler, did not work to stop Great Britain from trading.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Full Frontal is a completely absurd name and who OK'd that?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

It's a Gundam anime, and Gundam is a franchise where we've had characters named Quattro Vagina and Jamitov Hymen. That poo poo just rolls off the back at this point.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Kanos posted:

It's a Gundam anime, and Gundam is a franchise where we've had characters named Quattro Vagina and Jamitov Hymen. That poo poo just rolls off the back at this point.

https://twitter.com/murasamefour/status/1002344541062619136

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Arcsquad12 posted:

In what way is Frontal's plan sound? It's a rehash of Japan's plan to strangle the USA economically in WW2, but even that was probably inspired by Napoleon's Continental System which, spoiler, did not work to stop Great Britain from trading.

Yeah, I thought the fact that he called it the Co-Prosperity Sphere was meant to imply that it was doomed to failure, like the previous attempts at the thing.

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Quattro Bajeena, Elbow Smash, Sleggar Law, Adenaur Paraya, Fraw Bow, Alpha A. Bate, Gates Capa, Azis Adiba, Jamitov Hymen and every other good Gundam name are here to let you know Tomino, even if not directly responsible, is the man who started it.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

00 owns because you have to deal with Allelujah Haptism, but in exchange you get Lockon Stratos, which is pretty cool.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

The secret is that the best Tomino names are in non-gundam shows. Consider Shott Weapon and Kitten Kitten.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Arcsquad12 posted:

It's likely a lot easier to restrict the free flow of goods when you're talking about spaceships that have to dock at very specific places in space than when you're talking about boats which can offload goods pretty much anywhere there is a coast. That and the Federation needs to sell off a whooooole lot more goods to support the economy of the entire Earth than you need to sell off to support the economy of a single country, meaning that restricting trade lanes is going to cause serious economic pain.

It's likely not a perfect plan, but it's perfectly sensible to try to use the economy as a lever to upset the status quo after a half dozen attempts at using military power to do so have utterly and completely failed.

Droyer posted:

The secret is that the best Tomino names are in non-gundam shows. Consider Shott Weapon and Kitten Kitten.

Amandara Kamandara.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

i don't loving care if it's the best plan ever or if it would be actually successful, all I mean is that it has a semblance of logic and base in reason. Minerva points out its flaws to Full Frontal when he reveals it, and they're about creating an underclass of Earth dwellers who will resent spacenoids, not economical logistics. presumably Earth depends on space colonies for resources whereas the space colonies are self-sufficient

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

if there's a flaw with frontal's plan, its that no one has been able to unite all the space colonies against the federation, but maybe he thinks the box would change that?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Droyer posted:

On the other hand, Zuchini Nicchini

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Natora Einus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Parallax posted:

if there's a flaw with frontal's plan, its that no one has been able to unite all the space colonies against the federation, but maybe he thinks the box would change that?

The box's primary purpose is as a weapon to menace the Federation with in order to delay Side 3 losing its independence in UC 0100. As Unicorn takes place in UC 0096, Frontal seems to be expecting that forming such an economic coalition would take years of work.