Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
I think RG is definitely the best opening, but I also think in most games there is only really "room" for one player to open trainer. If you open trainer you don't want to have to race someone else for the first radio or for other key techs. This could potentially skew those percentages since likely one person per 3-5 player game is opening trainer.

I may be wrong on this, but I never personally like grabbing trainer on turn 1 after seeing someone else do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I backed 18lilliput because it looks kind of intriguing and although it probably doesn’t hit the 18XX notes apart from superficially, the action selection seems interesting to me.

uncle blog
Nov 18, 2012

I'm looking for a game to play with the girl I'm dating. So something that's great with 2 players, potentially also supports more players. I already have Hive, but want something with a bit more meat. Preferably something small with less then a gazillion game pieces. Bonus points if playable in a park.

Have looked at 7 Wonders Duel, but I have the impression that it runs out of steam quite fast as you're seeing 50% of the cards every time you play.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

uncle blog posted:

I'm looking for a game to play with the girl I'm dating. So something that's great with 2 players, potentially also supports more players. I already have Hive, but want something with a bit more meat. Preferably something small with less then a gazillion game pieces. Bonus points if playable in a park.

Have looked at 7 Wonders Duel, but I have the impression that it runs out of steam quite fast as you're seeing 50% of the cards every time you play.

Patchwork has been my go-to date game since forever, and it's worked really great every time. It does have a reasonably large number of small bits, so that might be a problem, but if you can get even a blanket, you should be fine (unless it's too windy).

Alternatively, Jaipur might work. Seriously though, Patchwork is just too good at this particular game-space.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

uncle blog posted:

Bottom Liner posted:

Jaipur
Schotten Totten/Battle Line
The Fox in the Forest
Santorini/Tak/Onitama
Hanamikoji
Patchwork

That set of light 2 player games would last you a lifetime. I’m curious about Biblios for 2 as well if anyone has thoughts.

Bottom Liner's post covers this very well. I personally love Hanamikoji.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

angel opportunity posted:

I think RG is definitely the best opening, but I also think in most games there is only really "room" for one player to open trainer. If you open trainer you don't want to have to race someone else for the first radio or for other key techs. This could potentially skew those percentages since likely one person per 3-5 player game is opening trainer.

I may be wrong on this, but I never personally like grabbing trainer on turn 1 after seeing someone else do it.

Interestingly in the 4 player games on BGG Trainer has a lower win % than opening % as well, so its not even worth being a solo trainer opening. (Small sample sizes though).

I think unless you know what you are doing insta lock that RG opener and play from there.

Bottom liners list is very good.. except he somehow forgot Codenames duet. Drop battleline to make room imho. Hanamikoji covers a lot of the same design... Feel?

Cthulhu Dreams fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Jun 4, 2018

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Topiary isn't awful at 2, and the pieces should be heavy enough not to be at risk from wind.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Hive is easy to transport, waterproof, windproof, plays 2, and is awesome.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

angel opportunity posted:

RG is such a good first turn opener that when I play a teaching game I say to everyone "in this run you'll start with your CEO and a Recruiting Girl."

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

CommonShore posted:

RG is such a good first turn opener that when I play a teaching game I say to everyone "in this run you'll start with your CEO and a Recruiting Girl."

At that point you may as well cut to the chase and say they start with two recruiting girls, the trainer, two free management trainees and the milestones....and tbh I think that is legit.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

rydiafan posted:

Hive is easy to transport, waterproof, windproof, plays 2, and is awesome.
Is the difference between Hive and Pocket Hive only the size of it?

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Flipswitch posted:

Is the difference between Hive and Pocket Hive only the size of it?
I've heard that Pocket includes the expansion tiles, check for that.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Get pocket. It’s smaller and has two expansion tiles. It’s missing pill big iirc but that ones an iffy one anyway

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Chill la Chill posted:

Get pocket. It’s smaller and has two expansion tiles. It’s missing pill big iirc but that ones an iffy one anyway
Cheers bud!

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

Bottom Liner's post covers this very well. I personally love Hanamikoji.

At this point I'm considering home-brewing a copy of this game until some reprint comes out. I've heard a lot of good things, but I haven't seen a single copy of it in the wild that wasn't like $100 from a reseller.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Morpheus posted:

At this point I'm considering home-brewing a copy of this game until some reprint comes out. I've heard a lot of good things, but I haven't seen a single copy of it in the wild that wasn't like $100 from a reseller.

Bummer, didn't realize it was sold out everywhere. Looks like all the usual online US stores are listing it as a preorder, so I assume a reprint is in the works.

Since it came up I will take the opportunity to post an ill-timed description of Hanamikoji once again:

I just want to quickly talk about Hanamikoji because it's a fantastic, tight game with interesting decisions that plays in 10-15 minutes. Highly recommended.

Its theme is that you're running a restaurant/hotel in feudal Japan and want to attract the favor of geishas to bring in customers or whatnot.

There's 7 geishas worth different point values - three worth 2, two worth 3, one worth 4, and one worth 5. Along with each geisha there are corresponding item cards that are used to attract their favor - the ones worth two points each have two item cards, the ones worth three have three, and so on.

Accordingly, there's 21 item cards. The game begins by you shuffling them face down and taking one out of the pile - not revealed to either player - and placed into the box. So there's an immediate element of imperfect information. Each player is then dealt 6 item cards face down - hand information is always hidden. The remaining 8 item cards are put face-down as a deck nearby.

From there players just take turns drawing an item card from the deck, and then choosing one of four actions until both players have performed all four actions. They are:

1: Secret - Pick one card (again, unrevealed), and place it face-down underneath the Secret action card. It will be scored at the end of the round.

2: Trade-off - Choose two cards from your hand and place them face-down beneath the trade-off action card. They will not be scored.

3: Gift - Choose three cards and reveal them to your opponent. They pick one, scoring it immediately, and you score the remaining two immediately.

4: Competition: Choose four cards, reveal them, and split them into two sets of two. Your opponent chooses one set and scores it immediately, and you score the other.

If after scoring you have more item cards for a given geisha scored than your opponent, you gain their favor. The objective is to gain either 11 points (based on the geisha's values), or to gain the favor of 4 geisha. In the possible event of a tie the player with 11 points wins over the other.

That's it - if no one meets either end goal, you play another round, with the favor tokens for each given geisha staying where they are (though they can change to the other player if they then win their favor). You take the removed item card from the box, shuffle all the item cards back out, and perform the initial setup again (removing one unseen from the round again).

It's extremely streamlined and very light but every decision you make is interesting: when to pick which action, which cards to offer your opponent, which cards to take from your opponent in two of their four actions, etc. Also the art is pretty wonderful, too. It's $15 USD on Amazon right now which is a steal.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
Is it me or are the bots in the nTTA computer game really goddam tough?

Also, what are people's general strategies? It seems very difficult to balance population specifically but having enough rocks and science seems like a constant fight as well. And aggressions almost seem like a total waste of military actions except under very specific circumstances.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

FulsomFrank posted:

Also, what are people's general strategies? It seems very difficult to balance population specifically but having enough rocks and science seems like a constant fight as well. And aggressions almost seem like a total waste of military actions except under very specific circumstances.

They're definitely not pushovers!

Aggressions are a result of winning the military race, not part of the race itself, yeah.

In terms of advice, just be careful getting techs that cost too much to use: iron takes so many actions and rocks to break even, for example, code of laws is pretty expensive for what it is.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

FulsomFrank posted:

The computer seems very keen on topping you militarily. This means it's usually hard to get much traction going military superiority, but its predictability makes it pretty easy to "stay in range" (relying on your defender's advantage to negate military) while being more efficient on other fronts.

I wish the computer had a few "personalities" to shake the game up; as it stands I lost interest replaying the same game again and again - feels like too much of an efficiency grind when you effectively know what the computer will do.

I didn't do all the challenges though - geez is there some nutbars ones in there; they seem like they'd take very lucky sequences of events (or a much better player than me).

quote:

Aggressions are a result of winning the military race, not part of the race itself, yeah.

Also, it's super frustrating when you have a military advantage, but you can't find the cards to properly cash it in.

jmzero fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jun 4, 2018

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
Serendipitous timing - Hanamikoji got picked up by Deep Water Games & Distribution and is accepting pre-orders. You can pick them up at GenCon if you're going, otherwise they ship in August.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Chill la Chill posted:

Hive Carbon also includes expansion tiles and imo it looks nicer than the version with colored bugs.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
Does Argent play well at 2? What's its recommended player count? I might add it onto the Empyreal KS.

MystOpportunity
Jun 27, 2004
Hello, new to the thread but have been reading through stretches of it lately- appreciate everyone's insights. I have a small group (4-6) that meets pretty infrequently to play some pretty entry-level games we're getting a bit tired of (Catan, Axis & Allies, Secret Hitler), as well as a few others that we've had varying degrees of success clicking with (The Thing, Deception in Hong Kong).

I'd like to buy a couple new ones for the group, but want to (as I'm sure we all do) make sure it's worth the time/money investment, and am a bit overwhelmed by the sheer volume of what seem like good choices floating around. I've been skimming the Goon and Heavy Cardboard Guild consolidated ranking BGG lists and see a lot of appealing stuff, but was wondering about a few of the larger titles that seem to be big favorites on the general BGG rankings. I'm much more inclined to trust the recommendations of these smaller groups, but was wondering if someone would be willing to brief me on why a few of these aren't favored here/elsewhere, such as Scythe, Terraforming Mars, Twilight Imperium, and Gaia Project (not on the Goon list at all?).

Our group is definitely down to learn something involved, I'm just wary of the scenario others have recently expressed- endlessly learning new games and never replaying them- so would like to find something that's complex but rewarding enough to encourage everyone to come back. I was thinking about grabbing 1-2 short-format very approachable games (maybe Codenames and Sushi Go, or something like Space Alert?) as well as 1-2 more intense strategy types, but this is where I'm freezing up on choosing one to commit to.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

MystOpportunity posted:

I'd like to buy a couple new ones for the group, but want to (as I'm sure we all do) make sure it's worth the time/money investment, and am a bit overwhelmed by the sheer volume of what seem like good choices floating around. I've been skimming the Goon and Heavy Cardboard Guild consolidated ranking BGG lists and see a lot of appealing stuff, but was wondering about a few of the larger titles that seem to be big favorites on the general BGG rankings. I'm much more inclined to trust the recommendations of these smaller groups, but was wondering if someone would be willing to brief me on why a few of these aren't favored here/elsewhere, such as Scythe, Terraforming Mars, Twilight Imperium, and Gaia Project (not on the Goon list at all?).

If you want a very quick game, For Sale is a great little auction game that scales from 3-6 and plays in just 15 minutes. If you want a slightly heavier auction game, Ra, Medici, and Modern Art are all still classics.

The issue with Terraforming Mars is the luck-vs-length ratio. The game is largely about a single massive deck you all draw from. These cards matter a lot, since almost all the engine-building in the game comes from getting cards that combo together. But getting cards that combo is largely a matter of luck, unless you are willing to play with the draft variant rules. This makes the game even longer, and Terraforming Mars is far from a short game. It takes about two hours without teaching or drafting. Adding a draft adds another hour to the play time, and teaching adds much more than an hour. This is mostly due to the sheer volume of card text. The basic mechanics can be taught pretty quickly, but each player will have to read and understand a hundred cards in a new game. Lastly, the game does not have much interaction without the draft. The only other competition is the race for various goals and break-points. But the basic actions for reaching those break-points/goals are much less efficient than the cards that help you get there. Thus, that is also limited by the luck of the draw. Overall, Terraforming Mars has about as much luck and interaction as Race for the Galaxy, but Race plays in 10 mins to half an hour. Terraforming Mars plays in two to five hours.

Despite all my negatives statements, Terraforming Mars can still be fun if you want a heavy non-combative engine-building game about mega-corporations in space. It's an OK game. But there are enough board games out there that you shouldn't have to settle for merely OK games that have nerdy themes.

golden bubble fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Jun 5, 2018

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

If it didn’t cost so much, i imagine high frontier is probably a straight up improvement over terraforming mars for the timeframe involved.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

High Frontier is nothing like Terraforming Mars but it is a better game.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
The definitive Waitress strategy for FCM from BGG. I've never tried anything close to it, so no comment from me.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

SettingSun posted:

It was my friend's birthday and he convinced me to play Talisman, a game he really likes. I'd never played it before and only know it by its reputation in this thread.

I get the criticism now. Nearly every mechanic of the game is resolved via die roll. There's like no player agency. It would have been faster to just have everyone roll two dice and the first person to roll double 6's wins. And this game had like 4 revisions and 12 expansions?
:rolleyes:
Excuse me? There is lots of player agency. You get to decide what direction to travel.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

I still enjoy and recommend March of the Ants because there's nothing else like it--but it really needed more playtesting. It suffers from the "single giant deck of cards" flaw and unclear interactions between certain evolutions.

I'm only mentioning this because we just ran into a case that we could not figure out even after consulting BGG:

5 players, 1 has the Thief Abdomen (each other player has to feed 1 of your ants) and 1 has the Mimic Abdomen (copy another player's abdomen ability). 1 food feeds 4 ants (+1 per abdomen evolution). In what order do you figure out which ants get fed and by whom?

million dollar mack
Aug 20, 2006
Larson ain't getting this cow.

MystOpportunity posted:

Hello, new to the thread but have been reading through stretches of it lately- appreciate everyone's insights. I have a small group (4-6) that meets pretty infrequently to play some pretty entry-level games we're getting a bit tired of (Catan, Axis & Allies, Secret Hitler), as well as a few others that we've had varying degrees of success clicking with (The Thing, Deception in Hong Kong).

Our group is definitely down to learn something involved, I'm just wary of the scenario others have recently expressed- endlessly learning new games and never replaying them- so would like to find something that's complex but rewarding enough to encourage everyone to come back. I was thinking about grabbing 1-2 short-format very approachable games (maybe Codenames and Sushi Go, or something like Space Alert?) as well as 1-2 more intense strategy types, but this is where I'm freezing up on choosing one to commit to.

The answer is obviously Gloomhaven KEMET

Seriously though, you won't regret Kemet. It's a bit heavier than A&A but extremely re-playable and a good game to boot. If you like fighting each other then it's a good one.

Scythe is a decent game and it's reasonably streamlined, so that may be another option. Like most things, if taught well/correctly it's easy to pick up and you usually have a good idea of what to do next. Very little combat involved but you still need to be watching what other people are doing to master it.

million dollar mack fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Jun 5, 2018

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Does Argent play well at 2? What's its recommended player count? I might add it onto the Empyreal KS.

It's real good, but with one major caveat. Argent is known for being heavy in player interaction for a worker placement game, and 2 player is the maximum expression of that. Playing with only 2 players turns attacking into a zero-sum proposition, which makes going heavy into aggression a significantly better option than it is on 3+ player games. 2P Argent can be downright vicious, which is great if you like that kind of thing but many people want/expect WP to be mostly multiplayer solitaire affairs.

Balance-wise it works fine at all player counts, though it can get a bit chaotic and slow with 5 players.

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.

CaptainRightful posted:

I still enjoy and recommend March of the Ants because there's nothing else like it--but it really needed more playtesting. It suffers from the "single giant deck of cards" flaw and unclear interactions between certain evolutions.

I'm only mentioning this because we just ran into a case that we could not figure out even after consulting BGG:

5 players, 1 has the Thief Abdomen (each other player has to feed 1 of your ants) and 1 has the Mimic Abdomen (copy another player's abdomen ability). 1 food feeds 4 ants (+1 per abdomen evolution). In what order do you figure out which ants get fed and by whom?

The rulebook has blurbs on a bunch of specific cards. It says this about thief:

quote:

thief abdomen – This effect increases each other player’s feeding total by one. For the player who played this card, it reduces their feeding total by one for each other player.

I'm not sure ordering and "who is feeding who" matters per this, it just changes your total debt (with the usual repurcussions if you're short).

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Did you marry a man who married the sea? He looks right through you to the distant grey - calling, calling..
This is probably a stretch, but are there any board gamers in Melbourne that feel like having a gaming session this coming Saturday, Sunday or Monday and including a weird unknown NZ goon? I'm going to be in the city on those days in between work events, and am looking for things to keep myself occupied as I don't much enjoy travelling alone. All the board gaming events in Melbourne over that time give me the vibe that they'd end up with people playing CaH/Resistance/something else that would make me want to just go back to my hotel room and drink heavily, so figured it was worth checking out if anyone here is keen.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

CaptainRightful posted:

Feeding is simultaneous, is it not? Just treat other players with Thief Abdomen as if they were immune to it.

uncle blog
Nov 18, 2012

Thanks for the tips regarding 2-player games. I ended up buying Patchwork. Played it a couple of times with the girl. We both really enjoyed it. Very elegant and quick game.

Now I want to buy a new game that's great with 2 and maybe more players, something heavier with more theme. Has anybody played the 7 Wonders Duel expansion? Does it improve the game and increase its replayability?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

uncle blog posted:

Now I want to buy a new game that's great with 2 and maybe more players, something heavier with more theme.

Eldritch Horror. Theme out the wazoo, fine with two playing two Investigators each, a bit heavier than entry level but not too heavy, and full coop so if your SO feels a little overwhelmed you can help her without messing with your own game.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Played John Company for a second time. First time I felt like the whole retirement thing made no sense compared to making a ton of money last turn, that not running the company into the ground was next to impossible, and that I had no idea what was going on.

The second time I felt exactly the same going into the demonopolization stage, except the company was doing great and I felt great being the chairman of such a prospering business.

Then the lead player bought a Scottish island, flopped his company, then another player emerged as frontrunner, then the remaining three of us banded together into a consortium to buy up all the ships because he had none, then he could not get enough cash to sustain his business, so that flopped too, then crazy shenanigans galore.

I am now in love with the stupid thing. I might say it works better with 4 than with 5? Less downtime that way, I suppose.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Shenanigans involved the nominal owner of the consortium retaining his position only because he was the only person with enough free cubes left for sailing wide.

uncle blog
Nov 18, 2012

Jedit posted:

Eldritch Horror. Theme out the wazoo, fine with two playing two Investigators each, a bit heavier than entry level but not too heavy, and full coop so if your SO feels a little overwhelmed you can help her without messing with your own game.

This is probably a good suggestion, but I already have Arkham Horror TCG, which I intend to introduce her to soon, so I feel I have my Arkham bases covered.

Is Caverna or Agricola good with 2 players? Or something that might be similar and maybe a tiny bit lighter? Tzolkin good with 2? I want something were we build/construct/draft something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

uncle blog posted:

This is probably a good suggestion, but I already have Arkham Horror TCG, which I intend to introduce her to soon, so I feel I have my Arkham bases covered.

Is Caverna or Agricola good with 2 players? Or something that might be similar and maybe a tiny bit lighter? Tzolkin good with 2? I want something were we build/construct/draft something.

Ah, you have coop covered. If you want a two player building things game, try Caylus. Best 2P euro I know - although take that with the necessary pinch, as I almost never play games with two.