Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Well that just bungles the joke.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07vdtBMG4Kg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
my dad fell asleep during mad max fury road

in the theater

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

in the theater

Hopefully you did the right thing and stopped all communications with him since then.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Bruceski posted:

Well sure it gets messy. I don't think there's any kind of movie analysis that isn't messy, particularly not "here's what it meant to me."

The issue is that you’re talking in terms of, like, ‘learning humility to earn leadership” - which is generic and vague enough to apply as much to Admiral Holdo as to General Hux.

When we look at the specific story of the Resistance’s death and theoretical rebirth as the Rebellion, then the point is that the New Republic was poo poo and has now officially died. Poe and Holdo are representative of their moronic infighting. But the solution is something like ‘maybe we should be vaguely nicer to the poors or animals or something’.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

in the theater
:mediocre:

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I mentioned it in the gbs thread, but I was getting some light Blankman vibes from that L3 scene.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOGSwRe-QPM

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums
Lol I just saw Solo and the guy next to me fell asleep.

I almost joined him, but film was ok I guess.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Gonz posted:

Solo is going to feature Han kicking some dude in the balls so hard, the guy shits his pants.

Nailed it

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Han: Threepio, talk to the Falcon and see if we can get more power.
Threepio, in machine language: What do you need to get us more power? We're under fire.
L3/Falcon: I need equal rights.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
L3 was the best part of the movie

Top Gun
Oct 24, 2017

in the theater

I almost did too middle was really boring

Caros
May 14, 2008

The MSJ posted:

This would never have happened if everyone voted for Space Bernie.

Anyway, here is Jenny Nicholson’s Solo video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XP8FZ4cBzaI

I have no mouth but I must Beep-Boop is better than any line in the loving film.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

precision posted:

L3 was the best part of the movie

That’s almost by default; without L3, there is no science fiction in the entire movie.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

There's still lasers and spaceships and junk and planets and rotating magnet trains.

Though it is strange they never actually appear to be in space.

Star Wars is pretty light on "science fiction" in the first place though.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Lasers, spaceships, junks, planets, and trains already exist. They're not science-fiction.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Lasers, spaceships, junks, planets, and trains already exist. They're not science-fiction.

Interstellar spaceships, ftl travel and giant space battleships do not nor do blaster type weapons.

Also something doesn't need to not exist to be science fiction. All the stuff in The Martian and in Gravity exists.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

All the stuff in The Martian and in Gravity exists.

Neither manned missions to Mars nor giant orbiting clouds of space debris exist. Both of them are extrapolations of where current technology might eventually lead, classic sci-fi subject matter.

The main speculative component of Star Wars is people interacting with intelligent machines. Once L3 is dead, we're left with a (modestly entertaining) adventure story.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

After L3 is dead they interface her brain into their computer, drop raw deteriorating fuel into their fusion reactor, and plot a faster than light course past a gravity well.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

There's still lasers and spaceships and junk and planets and rotating magnet trains.

Though it is strange they never actually appear to be in space.

Star Wars is pretty light on "science fiction" in the first place though.

Bullets and trains aren’t sci-fi, on their own. What is the film saying about guns and trains?

With L3, you at least have the sub-Chappie joke where Kira apologizes to L3’s soul - the discarded, dead person - before ripping out a chunk of her brain. So, unlike Lando (and whoever runs the Star Wars promotional Twitter), Kira recognizes that the Navicomputer is not L3.

Other Star Wars actually have a lot of sci-fi stuff going on. See the Elysium-style computerized city in ESB, and all the cloning in Attack Of The Clones, etc.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

OK, but this movie is set a long long time ago when we didn't have them so it is science-fiction. If I knew how to put a smug robot emoticon thingy here, there would be one here.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

After L3 is dead they interface her brain into their computer, drop raw deteriorating fuel into their fusion reactor, and plot a faster than light course past a gravity well.

Yeah, you're right about the first one. It's not when L3 dies, but when they're done picking apart her corpse.

The other two are just lists of buzzwords. There's no fiction about science that I can see.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Jenny Nicholson has a really good point about how lovely it is that the fighter being a woman is played as a twist reveal.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Good thing Star Wars is a fantasy franchise.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Twist should have been that she's the daughter as that's what I thought immediately.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Was a daughter even mentioned at any point?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Vintersorg posted:

Twist should have been that she's the daughter as that's what I thought immediately.

That was my first thought too; I guess sci-fi/action-adventure storytelling has progressed enough that "this badass warrior is actually a young woman" isn't really a shocker moment for me any more.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Interstellar spaceships, ftl travel and giant space battleships do not nor do blaster type weapons.

Also something doesn't need to not exist to be science fiction. All the stuff in The Martian and in Gravity exists.

Your definition of science-fiction seems to be "an exaggerated version of real things". It's a survival story, but in near-orbit/Mars, so it's science-fiction.

300 is also for example science-fiction, because while Persians existed, they did not have cave trolls in their armies.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Jenny Nicholson has a really good point about how lovely it is that the fighter being a woman is played as a twist reveal.

I liked her bits that are basically what some folks in this thread have been saying: there's some deeply weird edits and tone stuff and jokes that were changed or removed as a result of Lord and Miller being removed

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

300 is also for example science-fiction, because while Persians existed, they did not have cave trolls in their armies.

I think only if the cave trolls were from outer space or had been genetically engineered.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I think 300 has some Frankensteins in it or something

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Blazing Ownager posted:

Also nobody wants a Boba Fett prequel.

I would take a Boba Fett sequel that's basically Blaster Wick, but they'd never have the balls to do something like that while the current management is in charge.

To do what, bring back a fan favorite previously thought dead character? Because, uh...

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

I am 100% certain that the massacre at the end was Vaders only scene in the initial planning of the film, as an "oh poo poo" cameo, and that the terrible Mustafar scene was whipped up in punch-up or reshoots.

It's the exact opposite, actually.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jun 4, 2018

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

eyebeem posted:

Good thing Star Wars is a fantasy franchise.
Well again, not really. Star Wars has always been science fiction about fantasy.

In A New Hope, for example, the film provides a sci-fi explanation for Luke's 'irrational' belief in magic and whatnot.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.

thrawn527 posted:

It's the exact opposite, actually.

Yeah, Edwards said they filmed the hallway scene a few months before release. The Mustafar scene also appears to be a reshoot/rework of a previously shot Vader scene that took place on a Star Destroyer. You can see that in one of the trailers I believe.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Blazing Ownager posted:

But less about that I think the bigger problem with Star Wars right now (at least in the main storyline) is the lack of any sort of bonds between characters. Two movies in and ALL of the principle characters have exchanged less than like 10 lines of dialogue. There's no feeling of this tight-knit group they want you to feel. Ray has exchanged like 0 lines of dialogue with half of the cast.

Can you imagine if you got to Return of the Jedi and Leia, and Luke hadn't interacted yet and Han only hung out with Luke for an hour? I honestly don't know why more people have picked on this point specifically, it's a huge deal but never comes up on the problems list.

ED: I bet you the cast of this movie has exchanged more dialogue than any of the main series leads

3 pages ago but this is a big reason why I think the OT was is so great: it's a swashbuckling adventure starring the Millennium Falcon. The ST doesn't really have that "center" setpiece that brings everyone together and forces them to talk to each other.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

3 pages ago but this is a big reason why I think the OT was is so great: it's a swashbuckling adventure starring the Millennium Falcon. The ST doesn't really have that "center" setpiece that brings everyone together and forces them to talk to each other.

I understand the intent here, but I think the only time Han Luke and Leia all appear on the Falcon together is after escaping the Death Star in ANH for that brief dogfight

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

And when they pick up one hand Luke from the cloud city spire

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

And when they pick up one hand Luke from the cloud city spire

Uh, Han wasn't there for that. For obvious reasons.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Haha yeah.

Just cool and good Lando was.

Han was chilling with Boba Fett.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Jewmanji posted:

I understand the intent here, but I think the only time Han Luke and Leia all appear on the Falcon together is after escaping the Death Star in ANH for that brief dogfight

I think the next spaceship they all appear on together is Home One and then the shuttle Tyderium

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

jivjov posted:

I think the next spaceship they all appear on together is Home One and then the shuttle Tyderium

:eng101: Tydirium