Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013
Put new EBC front brake pads in the VFR after 26500km. Man those pads bite... Feels so good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Jarmak posted:

That's not the way sound works, do you think when you're stopped at a light no one in front of you can hear you?

Loud pipes definitely make you more noticeable, but I'm confident 99% of people who utter the phrase "loud pipes save lives" are just using it as an excuse to be obnoxious.

I say it in the same way I used to say rubbing is racing after side swiping POVs in Iraq. With a grin.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

I went up some nice hilly roads the other day. You can see San Jose in the distance in pic 2.

pokie fucked around with this message at 20:55 on May 21, 2018

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Deeters posted:

Looks like a fun little bike. What part of VA are you in?

I'm in Vermont, with 3-year-old tags and registration from when I lived in VA >.<

New tags in the works, finally. I got lazy last summer and then ended up buying a house in a hurry and not having time to deal with this.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

EX250 Type R posted:

I say it in the same way I used to say rubbing is racing after side swiping POVs in Iraq. With a grin.

touche

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Moved in to my new place yesterday, complete with garage in the back yard! :toot:

Except the door popped off its hinges due to subsidence and is currently bolted shut. Eh, back yard is a step up from the street, and my old cover (pinned to stop it billowing) works fine to keep the rain off for now.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Renaissance Robot posted:

Moved in to my new place yesterday, complete with garage in the back yard! :toot:

Except the door popped off its hinges due to subsidence and is currently bolted shut. Eh, back yard is a step up from the street, and my old cover (pinned to stop it billowing) works fine to keep the rain off for now.

Get a chunky ground anchor and chain and make sure you use both.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Chunky chain is wrapped on the back wheel and frame to provide some semblance of immobilisation for the time being, ground anchor is on the list to get this week along with a disc lock.

I hope the anchor will drill in to flagstones alright, because that's what I've got. Anyone got any experience installing them?

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
How much work it is installing that vs just fixing the garage door? Or is it more a former garage, now a loose collection of semi rigid lumber arranged in a box like shape?

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Garage seems pretty solid to me, it's made of vertical concrete planks. They just shifted a bit and popped the door off one of its runners. Landlord wants to tear it down but personally I think it's salvageable; it'll take time to look at it either way.

The ground anchor should, if the instructions can be believed, take less than an afternoon with a masonry drill and a wrench. But as I say, I've never installed one before, so :shrug:

They only cost like a tenner though so it's worth a try.

BigFuzzyJesus
Dec 4, 2007
Now with more Jesus
I sold two dirtbikes to get one

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
I trust you'll be replacing the "I EAT rear end" swingarm sticker

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

sweet truck

BigFuzzyJesus
Dec 4, 2007
Now with more Jesus

Jazzzzz posted:

I trust you'll be replacing the "I EAT rear end" swingarm sticker

In the works, the parting line from casting makes things a little complicated. Still have the rest of uncle Ronnies sticker pack.

Thanks, poor lil fella has been on DD status the last 3 weekends since all Ive been doing is riding.

Gonna Send It
Jul 8, 2010
I picked this up yesterday for track duty:

It doesn't have the belly pan on it because the kickstand interferes with it. I have to go buy a rear stand today. It came pre-safetywired, has brand new tires, and 16k on the clock.

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--
I'm glad my quiet biek love is well-received.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

XYLOPAGUS posted:

I'm glad my quiet biek love is well-received.

My first week at my new home in AZ - a neighborhood that became a de facto retirement community - led to an immediate noise complaint while trying to get my DRZ running. Race pipe. It’s not really worth the hassle.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
Sometimes i do wish i could put my bike in a quiet mode. I love the exhaust most of the time but i just did a quick ride without earplugs which i almost never ever do and holy loving poo poo was it loud! My ears were ringing after and i have a pretty good arai helmet.

Fanelien
Nov 23, 2003

Went on a bit of a trip, 2500km 5 days around Vic and NSW.

Catching up on threads seeing as I haven't been posting on SA since late Feb is difficult.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
HELLO, Cycle Asylum!

Showed up 20 minutes ago.

I'm just staring at it. Well, I started it up too of course.

i have a lot of emotions i am dealing with right now

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Nice bike dude. You're gonna have a lot of fun.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Niiiiice you got a great deal on it, too. Very pretty bike.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
joined team orange this weekend. '13 300 XC-W

this thing fuckin rips, holy hell. it just wants to wheelie wheelie wheelie. always wanted a 2t and now i have too much, lol

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Jonny 290 posted:

HELLO, Cycle Asylum!

dude, nice. i used to ride a honda cb-1 around in denver a few years ago. check out the highways on the foothills. if you're just starting out you can ride 32nd ave to golden to just practice stopping at lights and stuff. with minimal cars

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Jonny 290 posted:

HELLO, Cycle Asylum!

Good bike in a really good color. Congrats.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Razzled posted:

joined team orange this weekend. '13 300 XC-W

this thing fuckin rips, holy hell. it just wants to wheelie wheelie wheelie. always wanted a 2t and now i have too much, lol

österreich uber alles

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Suck the head for a little extra cajun flavor
Fallen Rib

A MIRACLE posted:

dude, nice. i used to ride a honda cb-1 around in denver a few years ago. check out the highways on the foothills. if you're just starting out you can ride 32nd ave to golden to just practice stopping at lights and stuff. with minimal cars

This guy is not lying, 32nd and Federal all the way to Golden is a great beginners ride. It's through the city and some "historic" neighborhoods but slow and not many curves. As you get more comfortable, head up Hwy 6 to Central City or explore Golden Gate canyon (be comfortable leaning into turns before you do this!) Also, I love to go ride around by the oil refinery in Commerce City, not much traffic, no one is around and it's a neat industrial setting. Check out riding underneath I-70 by the colosseum before it's bulldozed. Such a purdy blue ninja, congrats!

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Took the Hawk out on a beautiful Sunday countryside ride, looking for roads I'd never ridden. When you are feelin the magic, the Hawk is an unbelievable biek experience. :swoon:

When I got back, I had to take the other Honda out for a romp. :getin:

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!
I've been tooling around Germany, Switzerland, and France on my new-to-me 2011 BMW F800ST. It's not as nimble as my R6 or FZ1, but it's much more comfortable.

My 10 year old son wants to be my passenger and we believe in ATGATT in our household. I picked him up a nice set of armored gloves, textile gear with CE armor, armored boots, and a Shark helmet on clearance which is honestly nicer than my helmet. They even had a little harness that I can wear that gives him something to hang on to as well.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Coydog posted:

Took the Hawk out on a beautiful Sunday countryside ride, looking for roads I'd never ridden. When you are feelin the magic, the Hawk is an unbelievable biek experience. :swoon:

It really is just a perfectly balanced bike. It seems like the designers set out to make something that they'd want to ride, rather than pushing any of its metrics to the max, and they succeeded really well.

I think Honda should just dust off the plans for the Hawk GT and start selling it again. Make the wheels 10mm wider so it can use the fancy new tires, stick on modern shocks and brakes, swap to fuel injection, replace all the lights with LEDs, and keep everything else exactly the same. Perfection

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Sagebrush posted:

Make the wheels 10mm wider
Can't you put VFR wheels on it or something? Or does that require fancy custom parts

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Can't you put VFR wheels on it or something? Or does that require fancy custom parts

VFR wheels require a spindle modified for 4 lugs. This allows you to use 90-93 (8 spoke 5.5") 94-97 (5 spoke 5") and 98-2007 (5 spoke, 5.5") VFR wheels. You can also mod spindles to fit Ducati and VFR400 wheels (using this myself, NC30 18" 8 spoke 4.5"). There are no other wheels that fit the stock spindle.

For the front end the only limit is wallet size. A CBR F2 wheel is a direct replacement for the stocker and fits a 120/70r17, including the speedometer drive, if you leave the right rotor off. Nearly every Honda front end slots right in, if you're willing to ditch the mechanical speedo.

I have an extra modded spindle + 99 VFR wheel with new 170/60r17 2ct, F2 and CBR F3 wheels, and CBR F3 front ends if anyone is interested....

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002
More dog whistles than a Petco
Whelp. I thought I was done three years ago, but bought a bike again last weekend. I previously had a Ducati Monster 620, Ducati 848.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Tremblay posted:

Whelp. I thought I was done three years ago, but bought a bike again last weekend. I previously had a Ducati Monster 620, Ducati 848.

Congratulations on your thriving practice.

nice bike, how's it ride?

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010
That is lovely. Whats the details?

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002

builds character posted:

Heh. Initial impressions:

-smooth
-great brakes
-good power/torque for days
-not as heavy as I expected
- the Ducatis I owned sounded like breaking down tractors. This one has more of a Subaru-tractor vibe.
-tft gauge cluster is pretty neat
-holy poo poo there are a lot of buttons

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

builds character posted:

Not pictured: one-piece, lime-green Aerostitch.

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002

Dagen H posted:

Not pictured: one-piece, lime-green Aerostitch.

Naw, I prefer flips from Walmart, basketball shorts, and a wife beater.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Ugh, I bet you get your coffee from dunkin' donuts as well :rolleyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002

Slim Pickens posted:

Ugh, I bet you get your coffee from dunkin' donuts as well :rolleyes:

Dunkin has the best chain coffee, and there is nothing you could ever say to convince me otherwise. I'm not kidding, I miss Dunks.