Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Can anyone make a video like that "shut the gently caress up no one cares" video but for polling?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

cmon ontario. do it for jack :canada:

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

You mean radical immigrant lover Jack "Radical" Layton, the radical?

People are now criticizing Wynne for not telling people to vote NDP. I'm not sure I'd want her to recommend people do anything, for fear that they'll do the opposite.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

flakeloaf posted:

You mean radical immigrant lover Jack "Radical" Layton, the radical?

People are now criticizing Wynne for not telling people to vote NDP. I'm not sure I'd want her to recommend people do anything, for fear that they'll do the opposite.

Yeah, I wouldn't expect the leader of a party to say anything like this, especially since her current gambit seems to be hoping to be a power-broker in a minority government situation.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Man I can't wait for the man who only won his party's leadership through technicalities after losing the popular vote to then win an iron clad majority in the provincial government through technicalities after losing the popular vote to give a big unironic speech about how "The people have chosen" :allears:

You know he will.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
I get your point, but "popular vote" so so completely meaningless in terms of how our government is actually elected it's probably not worth worrying about.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Quick, name the last prime minister elected with a majority of the popular vote

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012
Mulroney?

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

vyelkin posted:

Quick, name the last prime minister elected with a majority of the popular vote

Tony Blair?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

You got it. 50.03% of the vote in 1984.

Popular vote is meaningless in a parliamentary FPTP system.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Doubly so because only people in the riding in which the party leader is running are actually voting for the prime minister or premier.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

mojo1701a posted:

Yeah, I wouldn't expect the leader of a party to say anything like this, especially since her current gambit seems to be hoping to be a power-broker in a minority government situation.

It would see that the gambit is that candidates are hearing that they hate Kathleen Wynne so saying that was a way of saying she definitely won't be premier after the next election so you're not voting for her but for your candidate.

https://twitter.com/metromorning/status/1003595361103966208

"Do you regret not leaving a year ago?" "wipeout" "facing oblivion" "save the furniture" gently caress yes

I'm really excited to read the Liberal insiders' take after the election. "This election morphed into a campaign against Kathleen Wynne" said the person with 13% approval ratings for the last year. When you think, how did they end up here? My nuclear take reactor wants to imagine that maybe successful women get told what they can't do a lot more and get used to ignoring it and succeeding regardless and this is a spectacular backfire of that phenomenon. That's not fair to women though, there's no kathleen wynneness you can ascribe to an entire gender (or political party). She isn't going to destroy the OLP because she's a Liberal or a woman, she's going to destroy it because she's personally a huge egomaniac who should've made the obvious choice to step down a year ago.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

vyelkin posted:

Holy poo poo we had 75% turnout in the 84 and 88 elections and its kinda just been downhill from there unless there was some charismatic leader for people to care about (Layton, Trudeau)

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

Postess with the Mostest posted:

It would see that the gambit is that candidates are hearing that they hate Kathleen Wynne so saying that was a way of saying she definitely won't be premier after the next election so you're not voting for her but for your candidate.

"Do you regret not leaving a year ago?" "wipeout" "facing oblivion" "save the furniture" gently caress yes

I'm really excited to read the Liberal insiders' take after the election. "This election morphed into a campaign against Kathleen Wynne" said the person with 13% approval ratings for the last year. When you think, how did they end up here? My nuclear take reactor wants to imagine that maybe successful women get told what they can't do a lot more and get used to ignoring it and succeeding regardless and this is a spectacular backfire of that phenomenon. That's not fair to women though, there's no kathleen wynneness you can ascribe to an entire gender (or political party). She isn't going to destroy the OLP because she's a Liberal or a woman, she's going to destroy it because she's personally a huge egomaniac who should've made the obvious choice to step down a year ago.

This reminds me a lot of Greg Selinger of the Manitoba NDP tbh

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes
early voted ndp this weekend, not really happy with my vote cuz of the specific candidate in my riding but what the hey

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

I mean my point was more around plurality rather than majority.

And yeah first past the post is dumb as hell in a lot of situations that's kind of my point.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

My take would be that the OLP won multiple elections in a row where the narrative at dissolution was that they were doomed and an OPC majority was an inevitability and there was no point even having an election campaign because we might as well just give the OPC their turn, and then the OPC shot itself in the foot repeatedly and the Liberals won. I think they thought that was a serious possibility again this time, even with Wynne being so hated, especially after Ford became the OPC leader. They may have underestimated the depths of hatred for Wynne as well, since it's very difficult in 2018 to tell how much vitriol against any leader is legitimate widespread dislike versus smaller numbers of vocal people sharing stuff on social media.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
I don't think I have heard anyone in my daily life in the GTA ever say anything positive about Wynne. Lol even after the minimum wage hike people still fixiated on hydro bills and how much they personally hate her.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

vyelkin posted:

My take would be that the OLP won multiple elections in a row where the narrative at dissolution was that they were doomed and an OPC majority was an inevitability and there was no point even having an election campaign because we might as well just give the OPC their turn, and then the OPC shot itself in the foot repeatedly and the Liberals won. I think they thought that was a serious possibility again this time, even with Wynne being so hated, especially after Ford became the OPC leader. They may have underestimated the depths of hatred for Wynne as well, since it's very difficult in 2018 to tell how much vitriol against any leader is legitimate widespread dislike versus smaller numbers of vocal people sharing stuff on social media.

Disagree. McGuinty stepped down in 2011 with a 19% approval rating and the party recovered so well that you'd think that move would be automatic especially with Wynne at a 17 (up from 13). These people in early April aren't shrugging their shoulders asking who could've predicted this.

quote:

The number of veteran Liberal candidates on Kathleen Wynne's team is shrinking and that will make her task of winning re-election even tougher than it already is.

Three Liberal MPPs revealed in co-ordinated announcements on Thursday they will not run in June. This brings to 11 the number of Liberals who are throwing in the towel, nearly one-fifth of the caucus.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
I think the Hydro One sell off really sullied her progressive aura, especially since her other major policies made the modern ONDP seem much less radical and scary. She legitimized NDP fiscal policy while making herself seem like an unreliable and dishonest leader who couldn't be fully trusted to implement her own agenda.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Helsing posted:

I think the Hydro One sell off really sullied her progressive aura, especially since her other major policies made the modern ONDP seem much less radical and scary. She legitimized NDP fiscal policy while making herself seem like an unreliable and dishonest leader who couldn't be fully trusted to implement her own agenda.

Especially because she can't point to whatever it was that it was supposed to buy. We're running a bigger deficit this year than we got for the whole sale.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

vyelkin posted:

A parliamentary FPTP system is meaningless

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Helsing posted:

an unreliable and dishonest leader who couldn't be fully trusted to implement her own agenda.

Hmm.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

Especially because she can't point to whatever it was that it was supposed to buy. We're running a bigger deficit this year than we got for the whole sale.

Yeah, "Our finance industry donors and cocktail party buddies really wanted to add it to their portfolios" somehow doesn't have the ring of a decent campaign ad to it.

Silver Spooner
Jun 10, 2013
https://twitter.com/karivierimaa/status/1003644709934391297

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
Well this recording is gonna finish doug ford for sure

https://twitter.com/jessiecatherine/status/1003634311847817217

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

That just seems like a thing Doug Ford would say openly, at a debate or something.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

It seems like something he’d say in an ad.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

That just seems like a thing Doug Ford would say openly, at a debate or something.

literally in the clip he says "he can record me, I don't care, I'll say it." There's no way this works as an attack.

It's a foolproof argument though because as soon as you shoot someone unjustifiably you're no longer a responsible gun owner, so no responsible gun owner has ever shot anyone

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

I can't check twitter right now, is that the "We'll lower taxes on homeless people?" It's pretty galling the utter lack of brain activity that's visible there.

Also does anyone even remember buck a beer? It was AWFUL poo poo.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

The Liberals openly campaigning for their opponents has been a bold strategy, let's see how that pays off for them.

MA-Horus posted:

I can't check twitter right now, is that the "We'll lower taxes on homeless people?" It's pretty galling the utter lack of brain activity that's visible there.

Yes and I think you're vastly overestimating the tastes of the people who want to buy $1 beer.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

MA-Horus posted:

At Liberal Party HQ, where the Grits are revealing an audio recording of Doug Ford saying this at a campaign event: "Guns don't kill people, crazy people with guns kill people. Safe gun owners, how many times have you ever heard a responsible gun owner killing someone?" #onpoli

e: also picture a frumpy, defeated looking deb matthews glaring at a 30" monitor playing the words of it

Postess with the Mostest fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Jun 4, 2018

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

As soon as you get north of rutherford RD and the 400 you will find people who are more likely to vote for Ford when he makes gun comments like that.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
You mean you guys don't like to drink Lakers?

ARACHTION
Mar 10, 2012

This has been the single most entertaining provincial election that has occurred outside of my province. For anyone who has both a BC and Ontario perspective, who is more hated? Christy Clark or Kathleen Wynne?

I also have never heard anyone ever say a positive thing about Christy Clark. Even Liberal supporters seemed to dislike her despite thinking the government was ok.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I've heard people say positive things about Wynne herself, but generally not her government as a whole.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

The West Wants InOur Own Canpol Thread.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
lol

https://twitter.com/robferguson1/status/1003682770382721024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

I've heard people say positive things about Wynne herself, but generally not her government as a whole.

Peterson said she is the most dangerous woman in canadian politics, being a woman and an avatar of chaos and all that.