Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

:lol::lol::lol:

I missed that!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Thank the lord our moderator will pull through with this request.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

A lot of people have stopped using the "you don't know about video game development" excuse as the patches content continue to suck rear end and they keep getting delayed. Now the faithful have retreated to "We asked for this" as the primary excuse for CIGs incompetence.

What exiting new mental gymnastics await us this year?

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

VictorianQueerLit posted:

Wait. I remember in the Bitcoin threads like 6-8 years ago we were mocking some guy who had received an inheritance and kept setting up bare concrete/cinderblock wall "Gaming bars" with folding tables and cheap gaming rigs he built. His gimmick was that he accepted bitcoin back when places just started doing that.

Is this the same guy or is there a second person blowing hundreds of thousands of his family's money on being a nerd entrepreneur? It wouldn't surprise me if the extremely smug bitcoiner showing off his gaming hovels morphed into a six figure Star Citizen backer but "pay $500 a month for an abandoned storefront and shove gaming rigs on folding tables" is entry level nerd business so it could be a different person.
it is, I remember "slumlord" and his variances popping up in bitcoin/gaming related poo poo for the last decade

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

Beet Wagon posted:

Pretty much yeah. He posted an album on his "I gave my kid a stupid name" account but basically the whole place looks like this:

What the fucks that thing on the left?

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

Beet Wagon posted:

I realize we've moved on to greener pastures but holy poo poo I just realized how deep this rabbit hole goes:

This is the same insane weirdo who was shilling his lovely "gaming bar" on /r/starcitizen and /r/mwo in like 2015.

I'm the dad who's deep enough into Star Citizen to try and name my son after it but disconnected enough from the family to throw a name at my wife for her to deal with and not realize we're spelling it differently.

:sad:

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

BeigeJacket posted:

What the fucks that thing on the left?

it's a "kegerator" for chilling your beer kegs or mini kegs when you can't afford an actual bar setup. You can typically find them in the garages - or 'man-caves' - of depressed middle-age guys who like football and/or cars.

teh_Broseph posted:

I'm the dad who's deep enough into Star Citizen to try and name my son after it but disconnected enough from the family to throw a name at my wife for her to deal with and not realize we're spelling it differently.

I mean, there's no way that story's not 100% bullshit. I guarantee it was either

A) He suggested 'Gunner' and his poor wife told him to gently caress right off and so they compromised with something that is technically a real name in some countries

or

B) He had a killer idea for a crossover promotion for his lovely bar and the insane dork product he loves and chose "Gunnar" right out of the gates, like how sometimes idiots will name their kids "Verizon" or whatever out of misplaced brand love.

Either way though, the casual racism of pinning the name on his wife not speaking English well (She's capital 'A' Asian, you see) is loving primo :discourse:

Beet Wagon fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jun 4, 2018

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

I'm trying to think of a novelty/gimmick bar or boozer that I've been too that didn't fill you full of embarrassment the second you stepped over the threshold. But I have nothing.

There's a Breaking Bad themed bar in East London somewhere, that looks especially......bad.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

I feel like Citizen theories about what Star Citizen is actually trying to do are becoming a lot like flat earther conspiracies. "I don't know what the earth actually is, but I know that it isn't round! I have 3 pieces of evidence confirming my point of view and all other evidence against is lies." The community rallies around this common understanding of what the game isn't- it's not a scam! But then they start trying to talk about why it isn't a scam and they all end up rejecting each other's evidence. "No no no, you're being mislead, it's his commitment to fidelity that has caused the problems." "No, you are buying into the FUD, it's his cinematic vision that is causing things to take so long! But at least we can agree- it'll all be okay in the end."

I wonder what the final stop on these trains is going to be. When whole groups of people begin basing their daily lives around shared delusions, there has to be some point where it meets a bad end. Like, you can probably get away with thinking that gravity isn't real and things "Just fall towards the ground" without any repercussions. But at some point you start voting hard right nazis into power because all the people telling you you're wrong must have been duped by the jews. Somehow I don't feel like CIG's inevitable collapse is going to snap a lot of these people out of it, but I do wonder what the next level of doubling down will be.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

:reddit: posted:

Gamers move on, thats just life
I was thinking recently, wondering why I have lost my passion for SC. I streamed it a lot and posted many pics of the game showing off its prowess. Then I realised one day, out of the 8 people I signed up with (close friends) 6 have not logged in for over 2 years and the other 1 logs in once per patch.

My advice is not to think about it too hard. That strategy got you this far why change now? You could even end up losing the faith.

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

Daztek posted:

Mark Strong talks a little about why Squadron 42 is taking so long: https://www.instagram.com/p/BiE8Y_ghKM2/

"But uh it hasn't even come out yet, coz apparently the technology they use to shoot it is too far ahead of the actual technology they have to show it. So it's almost ahead of its time"

This must be a Chris Morris sketch

his nibs fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jun 4, 2018

CellarDweller
Jan 19, 2014

Down In The Pit... There's It!

Sarsapariller posted:

Somehow I don't feel like CIG's inevitable collapse is going to snap a lot of these people out of it, but I do wonder what the next level of doubling down will be.

Contributing to the kickstarter for Chris Roberts' Galactic Inhabitant most likely.

CellarDweller fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jun 4, 2018

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

"He's just trying to make a cinematic space video game" I say, because what those words mean is very clear and not at all a nebulous pipe-dream.

Also "Chris is not trying to do this, or if he is, he sucks" is hilariously close to self-awareness.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

The difference being WoW was an actual game he played for 4 years after it was released with regular content updates.

And SC has been in development for 6+ years and there's no game.

He's talking like people have been playing the game and are simply burning out, but the game isn't even done. People are burning out because it's not real.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Zaphod42 posted:

Also "Chris is not trying to do this, or if he is, he sucks"

So close, and yet so far away..

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Zaphod42 posted:

He's talking like people have been playing the game and are simply burning out, but the game isn't even done. People are burning out because it's not real.

People have been burning out with early-access games for years now. And SC has a pretty good way to nudge people (that matter for the project bottom line) into coming back (and paying more money).

The reddit poster above simply lacks faith, or money.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Beet Wagon posted:

it's a "kegerator" for chilling your beer kegs or mini kegs when you can't afford an actual bar setup. You can typically find them in the garages - or 'man-caves' - of depressed middle-age guys who like football and/or cars.

I mean, there's no way that story's not 100% bullshit. I guarantee it was either

A) He suggested 'Gunner' and his poor wife told him to gently caress right off and so they compromised with something that is technically a real name in some countries

or

B) He had a killer idea for a crossover promotion for his lovely bar and the insane dork product he loves and chose "Gunnar" right out of the gates, like how sometimes idiots will name their kids "Verizon" or whatever out of misplaced brand love.

Either way though, the casual racism of pinning the name on his wife not speaking English well (She's capital 'A' Asian, you see) is loving primo :discourse:

like all the babies named Khalisi

poor kids

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

big nipples big life posted:

poor kids

Khalisi Kardashian

New member of the Kardashian Klan?

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

OF-7 reporting for duty!

I figure by now all these people have given up, so I'll just swing in and take over their work for them. And by take over I mean just claim as my own and never actually do anything with. :effort:

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

BeigeJacket posted:

I'm trying to think of a novelty/gimmick bar or boozer that I've been too that didn't fill you full of embarrassment the second you stepped over the threshold. But I have nothing.

There's a Breaking Bad themed bar in East London somewhere, that looks especially......bad.

I've been to a lot of the "A bar.....but gamers" places people had set up.

One was in the literal supply closet of a vape shop with a NES that wouldn't work right and an original Xbox. Another was similar to this backer's setup where he just picked out five identical $400 towers on newegg, so it was a blank room filled with computers. Nobody wanted to LAN though so it was just two smelly fat guys nursing a canned budweiser and playing either WoW or DOTA by themselves.

PederP
Nov 20, 2009

Gunnar and Gunner are perfectly valid names in Scandinavia. A bit more than 0,25% of male Danes have this name. I wonder if he would've gone with one of the similar names if it had been a girl, i.e. Gun-Britt, Gunhild, Gunnlang or simply - Gun.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

PederP posted:

Gunnar and Gunner are perfectly valid names in Scandinavia. A bit more than 0,25% of male Danes have this name. I wonder if he would've gone with one of the similar names if it had been a girl, i.e. Gun-Britt, Gunhild, Gunnlang or simply - Gun.

Guun

A fine name.

PederP
Nov 20, 2009

Hav posted:

Guun

A fine name.

The Dutch 'Gonnie' would also make for a fine Junior Citizen name.

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

PederP posted:

The Dutch 'Gonnie' would also make for a fine Junior Citizen name.

GRR GONNS
:argh:

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

The Titanic posted:

OF-7 reporting for duty!

I figure by now all these people have given up, so I'll just swing in and take over their work for them. And by take over I mean just claim as my own and never actually do anything with. :effort:

There is a word for that. It has something to do with bows.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.
Hang on, I recognize that gaming bar guy also! He joined up in Test Squadron and posted a ton of crap about his gaming bar there as well.

https://testsquadron.com/threads/i-am-slumlord-aka-slvml0rd.3167/

If you wanted to be even less surprised he is also into cryptocurrencies and vaping.
It's amazing how predictable it is.

reverend crabhands
Feb 3, 2016

I said come in! posted:

Is Elite Dangerous actually a good game? I've never played it but heard that it has a super steep learning curve so I avoided it.

Yep. Not everyone's cup of tea though.

It's a remake of the original Elite, and somewhat true to that, it's open world with bugger all hand-holding. HOTAS is recommended.

You very much find your own entertainment in it, here's the galaxy, off you go.

I've seen many players marvel at how much there is in there and comment (very genuinely and very enthusiastically) how in love they are with the game, just how loving awesome it is. This echoes my experience when I started playing.

Not sure I want to say much more, but after you've played for a bit you will start to see the seams, you see the repetition, and other parts (I don't want to talk too much about for fear of ruining) and it's easy to become a bit cynical about it, there is much to criticize. But it is what it is and while the wonder and awe lasts it's really something special.

At the end of the day Elite is just a game, an open world game where you find your own entertainment, if it's the sort of thing you like you'll probably really like it.

FWIW I have something like 18 weeks playtime in the game, so I am gonna be biased. Have not played for long time though.

Also, it goes on sale reasonably often, can pick up the base game for $10 or something if you're in no rush.

reverend crabhands fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jun 4, 2018

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

teh_Broseph posted:

I mean I have a cousin named Bobby, another named Nigel, and was thinking of naming my son Lewis (middle name: Hamilton) so it's a done thing in the larger world.

There's an unfortunate number of people in Saskatchewan naming their poor kid Ryder too. Poor Ryder Getzlaf.

Edit: Gunnar as a name peaked in popularity in 2013 though.

Jonny Nox fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jun 4, 2018

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
Gonns ruin everything

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

big nipples big life posted:

poor kids

This one drives me insane.

HER NAME IS DAENERYS

How are you so obsessed with game of thrones that you name a kid after a character, but you also don't pay attention to the show and can't be bothered to read a book...

Grubby Hobo
Feb 13, 2018

There's something else about bears not many people know. If a bear gets hooked on the taste of crowdfunding, it becomes a man-killer. He'll go on a rampage and has to be destroyed. And that's why you should never hug a bear.

Cao Ni Ma posted:

A lot of people have stopped using the "you don't know about video game development" excuse as the patches content continue to suck rear end and they keep getting delayed. Now the faithful have retreated to "We asked for this" as the primary excuse for CIGs incompetence.

What exiting new mental gymnastics await us this year?

Yes, there has been a definite shift. Now it seems the more intense of the backers can't wait to bail on their previous dreams, and say to CIG, in effect "it's OK, break tons of promises, squeeze us like lemons, just please please please give us the game we want." The whole thing seems to be following the Stages of Grief list:

Denial ("We are right and you are wrong")
Anger ("Hater! Why do you even care? Get out of here! I didn't even read your stupid wall of text")
Bargaining <-- We are here
Depression
Acceptance

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
Scrod

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Zaphod42 posted:

This one drives me insane.

HER NAME IS DAENERYS

How are you so obsessed with game of thrones that you name a kid after a character, but you also don't pay attention to the show and can't be bothered to read a book...

Khaleesi is (arguably) easier to spell and it "means something" instead of just being a name, which idiots love.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I wonder how many SC fans are audiophiles.

Asking for a friend.

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

History Comes Inside! posted:

Khaleesi is (arguably) easier to spell and it "means something" instead of just being a name, which idiots love.

Still cultural appropriation though :colbert:

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

Jonny Nox posted:

I mean I have a cousin named Bobby, another named Nigel, and was thinking of naming my son Lewis (middle name: Hamilton) so it's a done thing in the larger world.

There's an unfortunate number of people in Saskatchewan naming their poor kid Ryder too. Poor Ryder Getzlaf.

Edit: Gunnar as a name peaked in popularity in 2013 though.

idk what that means I'm just marveling that homedude made it sound like somehow he and his wife weren't on the same page for how his own kid's name would be spelled and he just looked at the birth certificate a month later and said whoopsie.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

iospace posted:

I wonder how many SC fans are audiophiles.

Asking for a friend.
You Your friend looking to offload some premium pebbles?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Fidelitious posted:

Hang on, I recognize that gaming bar guy also! He joined up in Test Squadron and posted a ton of crap about his gaming bar there as well.

https://testsquadron.com/threads/i-am-slumlord-aka-slvml0rd.3167/

If you wanted to be even less surprised he is also into cryptocurrencies and vaping.
It's amazing how predictable it is.

Gaming Hovel Dude posted:

So how many of us have Asian Wives, with little hybrid turret gunners in training? We should make a Club. How young is too young to start turret and co-pilot training anyway? Is there labor laws that prohibit us from such enslaving of our own offspring?

holy loving yikes