Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Alas; I have been foiled. Yes, the Rebels used Tydirium to get to Endor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

Jenny Nicholson has a really good point about how lovely it is that the fighter being a woman is played as a twist reveal.

I didn't read the twist as "she's a woman", I read the twist as "these people with the Mad Max armor and motorcycles are actually freedom fighters"

To even suppose that her being female is a "twist" is to buy into society's notions about what "is" or "isn't" feminine behavior or appearance.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Yes that was her point

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.
My take was they were surprised by her youth more than anything. This tough, intimidating marauder was actually a young, normal looking human. In-universe it seemed to me she was supposed to be in her late teens, like around 17/18. Her mother died and passed on the mantle while she was still a young woman.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Putting that "Samus is a Girl" trope to good use I see

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Now that Solo's flopped, what's the prospect of Episode IX pulling a Jurassic Park 3 and performed worse than its predecessor (i.e. TLJ) as well?

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.
Possible, though for what it's worth, each of the third movies in the trilogies has just barely made more money than the second movie.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Wheat Loaf posted:

Now that Solo's flopped, what's the prospect of Episode IX pulling a Jurassic Park 3 and performed worse than its predecessor (i.e. TLJ) as well?

i think it might do better that TLJ did because they get to hype it up as the end of the trilogy

solo could easily be dismissed as a one-off mistake or whatever that doesn't ruin the prospects of the rest of the franchise, especially if they take away any kind of lessons for why it underperformed

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I'm just worried that after the divided response to TLJ and the low box office performance of Solo that future Star Wars films are all gonna be as "safe" as TFA was.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I really hate the Maul reveal.

I get that Disney views all their canon as equally important. But I always felt that the movies should stand on their own. Nothing that was originally from the cartoons/comics/television/trading cards/candy wrappers/novels should really be necessary for understanding what's in the actual movies. Sure, pull creatures and cameos from them to fill background scenes. You want a cheeky reference to a lovely PlayStation fighting game? Sure, whatever.

Until this point, everything from the Disney movies have been pretty self contained to the movies. Until the Maul reveal. Yeah, I know that Clone Wars is canon. I know that he has a huge story arc about how he survived, got new robot legs, and fought Darth Sidious. I loved Clone Wars and thought it was pretty badass. I haven't watched Rebels after the first season, but I am aware of Maul's involvement, and how his story comes to an end. I'm not against them doing whatever in the non-movies.

Bringing that into the movies is just baffling. Most people saw him die in Phantom Menace. And as far as the movies were concerned, his story was finished. It feels super cheap. His story is done in the movies, and they've explored him with him in the extended canon. Not only are a bunch of people who only see the movies wondering "wtf, he's dead," they're setting him up as the big bad of the Solo side films. We know Han isn't going to be the one to kill Maul, so the most that will happen is Han brings down Crimson Dawn and Maul strolls off and hides.

Also I feel that Maul starting a criminal syndicate is really stupid.

Maybe I am wrong though. Cause my friends who all saw it with me loved the cameo. But, they're not very good at watching movies, because they thought Crimson Dawn was part of the Empire. I think they were aware Maul survived and got robot legs, but weren't aware of the details either, because they though Maul still worked for the Emperor. I dunno, the whole thing makes me feel stupid in a way I can't describe. I don't want to be the :goonsay:, but Maul's appearance can't be explained by anything in the movies, and that it forces me to say "Well actually in the cartoons..." And that's terrible.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Well that's why they got jj Abrams. Being the end of a trilogy doesn't really necessarily improve box office I think.

But the slightly longer period of time between Solo and IX might make people less sick of it by then

Lucas had it right spacing the films by three years. Star Wars every year is too much.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I don't think annual releases are too frequent; especially with them staggering the ongoing story and the spinoffs. Annual releases of the numbered episodes would probably be too much though

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

On Maul, people always speculated maybe he survived. He clearly has robot legs in his hologram. I don't think you really have to rely on anything from the EU for anyone who saw episode I to get the gist

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

On Maul, people always speculated maybe he survived. He clearly has robot legs in his hologram. I don't think you really have to rely on anything from the EU for anyone who saw episode I to get the gist

I can get that. People saw Two Faces's dead-rear end corpse and still thought he could be alive before they had explicitly said he was dead when DKR came out.

But every about Maul's cameo felt shoehorned and unsatisfactory to me.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

jivjov posted:

I'm just worried that after the divided response to TLJ and the low box office performance of Solo that future Star Wars films are all gonna be as "safe" as TFA was.

You can bet on it.

Like expected, it's going to be the fans of Star Wars that ultimately end up killing it.

Because they don't actually like Star Wars.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Oh wait a loving second!

Humanoid with cybernetic components prolonging his life and restoring his mobility, that's science fiction right there boiiiiiiiiiii!

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
To call these three movies a trilogy just seems a bit weird to me, like we're only doing that because its star wars and we know we're supposed to. With the prequels, after the second one everyone went back to see the little poo poo finally become Darth Vader as we all knew that was the point of the whole affair. I'm far too young and beautiful to know what the deal was with the original trilogy but I presume it was a more organic affair and franchises didn't need to sustain billion dollar companies for the next eternity anyway.

With this lot though, its right another movie, to... er do what exactly? What story is getting finished off here? Especially given the chinese whisper style story telling between the first two. All the old people are dead, theres the sith school shooter, supergirl and the bumbling blokes to somehow put a lid on this centuries long story of galactic politics and warfare. Before we get some more. Probably with the same characters anyway.

I don't think I like star wars.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I think the problem with Solo is that it's a bad film and it's pretty easy to realize it's a bad film without watching it if you just see a trailer or the news about its production. It might cause some damage to the brand but if the next film is good instead of bad its takings will probably recover a lot.

Detective No. 27 posted:

I can get that. People saw Two Faces's dead-rear end corpse and still thought he could be alive before they had explicitly said he was dead when DKR came out.

But every about Maul's cameo felt shoehorned and unsatisfactory to me.
I agree. I don't have a problem with bringing him back but I'd rather they introduced him earlier in the film and spent a little time explaining why he's running a criminal enterprise and how/if he's linked to the Empire. Just having it as a twist doesn't really answer anything.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Oh wait a loving second!

Humanoid with cybernetic components prolonging his life and restoring his mobility, that's science fiction right there boiiiiiiiiiii!

Ever heard of pacemakers and wheelchairs?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Darth Maul is an alien anyway, why didn't they just say there was nothing important in his legs anyway and he grew them back.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Star Wars could use a Namekian or two.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Robot cybernetic legs are loving awesome you loving nerds.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Darth Maul is an alien anyway, why didn't they just say there was nothing important in his legs anyway and he grew them back.

robot legs are cool

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Was Darth Maul's penis (before he lost in the reactor core of Theed City) red, black, or red and black?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

porfiria posted:

Was Darth Maul's penis (before he lost in the reactor core of Theed City) red, black, or red and black?

Good question. These are the kind of things they need to push in the marketing for the next star wars to get me to see it. We need answers to questions.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Not all aliens keep their genitals in the same places

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Starts out red and turns black as blood rushes to it

Then the horns come out

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Vinylshadow posted:

Starts out red and turns black as blood rushes to it

Then the horns come out

Wrong.

http://www.dmeb2.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=4&t=000003

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

His penis is concave and comes out like a lipstick, then he turns to the side, sneers, and another one comes out the back

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

His penis is more machine now than flesh.

Twisted and evil.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

AndyElusive posted:

His penis is more machine now than flesh.

Twisted and evil.

But how many settings does it have?

Asking for a friend

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Detective No. 27 posted:

[My friends are] not very good at watching movies, because they thought Crimson Dawn was part of the Empire.

Your friends aren’t wrong. The Imperials are in league with the Pike Syndicate, who are allied to Crimson Dawn.

Confusion arises because the film never properly explains what the Empire is, or what its relationship to the CRIME SYNDICATES is.

Of course everyone in the world has heard of Star Wars, but if you’re a kid and Solo is your introduction, it is never shown or explained that the motorcycle cop at the start is an Imperial motorcycle cop. It is never shown or explained that the train is an Imperial train. The guards on the train and the motorcycle cop are dressed entirely differently, so you can easily conclude that the train is owned by a CRIME SYNDICATE whose members wear fuzzy white clothes.

The fact that Corelia is an Imperial shipyard is not revealed until near the very end of the film, when the ship from the opening scene reappears. The opening text (and the scene where her goons brutalize some Imperial guards) had implied that Corelia is controlled by Lady Proxima. Then the Imperials are defending mines run by the Pike Syndicate.

Even if you have seen one or two other movies, Solo is the first movie about “the lawless time” where it turns out that everything has been thrown into chaos and suddenly these CRIME SYNDICATES have appeared. And they actually rival or surpass the Empire in terms of sheer scope power. You need some actual storytelling here.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Detective No. 27 posted:

Maybe I am wrong though. Cause my friends who all saw it with me loved the cameo. But, they're not very good at watching movies, because they thought Crimson Dawn was part of the Empire. I think they were aware Maul survived and got robot legs, but weren't aware of the details either, because they though Maul still worked for the Emperor. I dunno, the whole thing makes me feel stupid in a way I can't describe. I don't want to be the :goonsay:, but Maul's appearance can't be explained by anything in the movies, and that it forces me to say "Well actually in the cartoons..." And that's terrible.

Doctor Who is a tv series, but it also has tons of extraneous material that's accumulated over more than 50 years, whether it's comics, novels, radio dramas etc. But the BBC has rules about this kind of media, namely that viewers shouldn't have to pay money for some kind of tie-in story just so they can understand something that happens in an episode of the tv show. I think when you have a big multimedia franchise, that's the best way to do it.

Lucas had it right spacing the films by three years. Star Wars every year is too much.

I think once a year is fine, but you've got to have a full year between them. Having them out every six months is too much. I have no doubt that they were hoping they could start doing two per year if Solo had succeeded in the summer, and now that it hasn't, I hope they've thought better of it.

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009
I saw Solo with a pretty large group - people who love Star Wars, but don't follow the extended canon - and pretty much all of them were very confused by the Maul reveal.

They either assumed it was, like, his brother or something, or actually started second guessing the timing of this movie. I had to remind them that this is long after The Phantom Menace since the empire exists, etc...

Feels like miss on the part of Disney here.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
So what with the #ForceOutHate movement I got in on the ground floor of, Ive spent quite a bit of my day talking with TLJ haters...and I've reached the conclusion that virtually none of them have actually watched the film. Or if they did, they didn't actually recall any of it. All of their talking points rely heavily on completely ignoring lines of dialog or things appearing directly on screen.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

All Star Wars fans do is complain. That’s their lot in life.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

jivjov posted:

So what with the #ForceOutHate movement I got in on the ground floor of, Ive spent quite a bit of my day talking with TLJ haters...and I've reached the conclusion that virtually none of them have actually watched the film. Or if they did, they didn't actually recall any of it. All of their talking points rely heavily on completely ignoring lines of dialog or things appearing directly on screen.

What is #ForceOutHate ?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

What are message boards good for if not complaining? It's the only way.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

AndyElusive posted:

What is #ForceOutHate ?

Marjorie Carvalho, host of Star Wars Action News and Now Playing Podcast, found herself on the receiving end of bullying from Jedi Temple Archives moderation staff. That combined with all of the toxicity flowing from TLJ/Solo haters (specifically the people calling fans of those films "cucks" or "soyboys" or whatever, or being hateful about it, NOT people who merely disliked the films and can discuss them rationally) prompted her to start the #ForceOutHate movement to promote positivity and polite discussion in the Star Wars community.

A bunch of people from the fan community have been tweeting about it, and they even got a tweet from Joonas Suotamo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

They should just end Star Wars

It’s all toxic