Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Thrifted this bad boy today. Sony TFN-7070W. Far as I can tell it’s early 70s, and it looks close to brand new. Battery terminals are rusted as poo poo but I’m working on that, otherwise it’s coming in clear as a bell!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Ultimate Mango posted:

Make a thread so some of us and live vicariously. I wish I knew how to get high quality DCI recordings. Have never managed to sign up and watch the web streams.

r/dcileaks my friend

EDIT: the stream service is garbage since they farmed it out to a third party production company

Bottom Liner has a new favorite as of 01:32 on May 31, 2018

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

TraderStav posted:

drat, I've gone by that place a thousand times and live 5 minutes from there. I may have to finally go and check it out. It looks like they sell chicken feed and old tractor wheels.

Yeah, I used to go down Pontiac trail to dixboro to get to class, so I passed by it a ton too and never stopped cause that was always at 7am and they weren’t open yet. My girlfriend finally got me to go because she really wanted to try it but couldn’t get her family to because her mom is convinced it’s a mob front, for extra legitness :haw:

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!
Conference season is upon me! So I bought a fruity dress for one of them

and there was NO WAY I was going to pass up this skirt, given that I teach Classical history:

Said skirt was four sizes too big for me (it's a 1980s bubble skirt I found at my fave second hand shop in London), but altering it was a pretty easy tailoring job so paying someone else to do it for an extortionate fee really grated. Subsequently, the pain of paying someone to do a job I could have done at age 10 was incentive to buy this bad boy:

so that I can service and get up and running this gizmo:

No, no, not the cat, but rather my pre-War Singer 221 :black101:

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
I bought plastic bicycle parts.

EdwardSwifferhands
Apr 27, 2008

I will probably lick whatever you put in front of me.
Dope area code bro. I also approve of transformers.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
Yay for Japanese Tom of Finland.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

The Sexual Shiite posted:

I bought plastic bicycle parts.

His gun is a tiny version of himself.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Ms Boods posted:

No, no, not the cat, but rather my pre-War Singer 221 :black101:

The art that went into old things... even lampposts seemed to have art on them. :unsmith:

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Dick Trauma posted:

The art that went into old things... even lampposts seemed to have art on them. :unsmith:

The pre-war modules are amazing, a lot of Egyptian motifs; this one is from 1938 or 39 (I can look up the serial number later). I have a 127K from 1904, which is my fave machine ever (I wish it was out of storage :smith:), and it is amazingly decorated with the Egyptian motifs.

Later 221s have much plainer sides because of the war and that, so one with the scrollwork like mine is sought after. I got super lucky acquiring this one back about 20, 25 years ago -- Featherweights got super popular amongst quilters in the US right about then, and started to go for crazy prices. My mom mentioned to someone at work that I was looking for one, and the someone said, 'Oh...I have my mother's; it's been sat on the top shelf of my closet for years.'

Immaculate condition, at the time, just needed the old cloth cords replaced. My mother's colleague gave it to me. :3:

They are fabulous little guys; weighs just under 12 lbs cos it's made from aluminum (or aluminium, as they'd say here).

ETA - me again, hello. Finally had a decent enough day to photograph some of the other fruits of April/May shopping (as well as look over what repairs and alterations need to be done to make some of these items streetlegal :v:

Fruity dress

Vintage lounging jacket, maybe 1950s -- it's super soft and snuggly

There's a vintage shop I go to when I'm back in the US that sells new stuff, as well; this is a new piece.

If you can't make out the fabric, it's Marie Antoinettes and cakes :bigtran:

Different vintage shop: Early '60s day dress, hand made judging from the ragged state of the seams, awful zipper, and no tags, so it needs some TLC. nce it's smartened up, I can wear it with a crinoline underneath should I want to irritate fellow conference colleagues.

late 1940s? Probably 1950s jacket that I spied and what looks great with the daisy dress, It also needs some work done on it, mostly securing buttons and poppers/snaps. O

Another pop art dress; this is the one that got me off my duff and refurbishing my sewing machine, cos £16 for a hem - you can gently caress that sky high.

Finally, from the same vintage shop as the Marie Antoinette dress, this is a late 1930s party dress. It didn't fit on my mannequin (which is my size, but with a much bigger and unyielding bust). I like it. It looks like something Erin Walton would wear.

Apologies for girling up the place, but I've been photographing loads of stuff the past few days for eBay auctions and that, too.

I also didn't realise how much yellow has appeared in my current closet -- time to start looking for yellow shoes :hist101:

Ms Boods has a new favorite as of 18:45 on Jun 2, 2018

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Found at a little used bookstore for 5 bucks each:

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Nice! I'm digging these dresses, they're sharp!

For content, bought one of those skookum roto-molded Yeti cooler knockoffs so I could have cold beer all weekend at a music festival coming up:

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

OSU_Matthew posted:

Nice! I'm digging these dresses, they're sharp!

Cheers! I super love hunting around in vintage and charity shops for clothes (hence an eBay clearout every summer), and once the sewing machine is up and running, I'm doomed to :homebrew: (especially with my sewing! I've got my eye on a vintage zigzag stitcher at the moment, and am rebuilding my sewing textbook library, tailoring and stuff in particular).

Leon Black
Sep 2, 2004

Say whaaaat?
Got some art by Scott C, of the feature film Hot Fuzz:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Gutted the Joycons that came with my Switch and put them in these Atomic Purple shells that are on Amazon so I can be a 90s boy again. It was not easy to do.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Tim Whatley posted:

Gutted the Joycons that came with my Switch and put them in these Atomic Purple shells that are on Amazon so I can be a 90s boy again. It was not easy to do.

Those look great!

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Tim Whatley posted:

A E S T H E T I C S

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Not watermelon red

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
If that was something actually made by Nintendo I would feel a little bad about selling my switch.

I don’t miss it though.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

1redflag posted:

Not watermelon red

They sell that color!

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Tim Whatley posted:

:vince:

How is that not the default color???

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Tim Whatley posted:

They sell that color!

Hmmm, I don't know if that makes it better or worse, tbh.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
I've actually got 2 oranges, 2 reds, and 1 each of blue and green that I'll be posting on samart later today (shells only, no guts). Here's what the orange and red look like:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3853499&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Tim Whatley posted:

This owns. Nintendo's loving up by not selling these officially

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Can confirm it's a colossal pain in the rear end. Estimated time for it was 45 minutes, but it took me like two hours cause I really didn't want to break those tiny ribbon cables. Having custom shell colors is super rad though.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Yeah took me two hours. I could probably do it in 30 minutes though now that I know. Nintendo uses triwing screws FYI so make sure you have a driver to do that if you want. Amazon sells those too. Obviously also good small electronics tweezers.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

Tim Whatley posted:

Yeah took me two hours. I could probably do it in 30 minutes though now that I know. Nintendo uses triwing screws FYI so make sure you have a driver to do that if you want. Amazon sells those too. Obviously also good small electronics tweezers.

drat, I remember my first gen Gameboy had triwing screws. After I broke the LCD I wanted to take it apart and had never seen that type of screw before. I got it open with a baseball bat...

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Just bought three new suits for work. Black two piece Calvin Klein, navy two piece Nautica, and a gray three piece Joseph Abboud. I'd post pictures but they're still being tailored. Maybe when I get them back but :effort:.

Cosmic Web
Jan 11, 2005

"Stand and deliver, that my hamster might have a better look at you!"
Fun Shoe

Tim Whatley posted:

Hot drat!

Are these or these these the same?

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

JEEVES420 posted:

drat, I remember my first gen Gameboy had triwing screws. After I broke the LCD I wanted to take it apart and had never seen that type of screw before. I got it open with a baseball bat...

Nintendo has always been into security through obscurity. Before the internet and being able to order any tool you could imagine, the trick people used was to melt the end of a plastic pen and jam it over the screw to form a makeshift triwing bit.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Tim Whatley posted:

This is slick. Replacing the latches on the joy cons was an ordeal, i can't imaging changing out the whole shell, ugh.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Cosmic Web posted:

Hot drat!

Are these or these these the same?

Bought mine here

https://www.amazon.com/BASSTOP-Repl...=basstop+joycon

They all come with colored buttons but I kept the OG buttons. Would've probably gone color if I got the white ones. They also sell variants with a proper D Pad but I'm fine with the buttons. They also also sell the shell for the Switch proper, which believe it or not, is the easiest part of the three pieces to swap out.

The Joycons each contain roughly 5 ribbons, with the right Joycon having 2 more due to the infrared and what I think is some sort of antenna. If you break one, it's all over, so just be warned on that. Another tip is do this on a clear piece of white paper or non-carpeted area. Lots of small screws can get lost and you'll be hosed. (I put them in the top compartment of my small electronics tool kit). More importantly, each shoulder button (R and L) have two springs that are like a centimeter long. They're a pain in the rear end to put the shoulder button back on and are springs so they'll shoot out. Make sure you're in an area you'll easily be able to find the springs.

Edit: Here's a very helpful tutorial that I just skimmed through.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3TeP1G5lO0
If you're not familiar with small electronics I'd recommend it. He also shows how to replace the shell for the console which again, is quite easy compared to the Joycons.

Tim Whatley has a new favorite as of 21:16 on Jun 4, 2018

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Coffee And Pie posted:

If that was something actually made by Nintendo I would feel a little bad about selling my switch.

I don’t miss it though.

Yeah I haven’t touched mine in months. I was excited for smash and Dark Souls, now souls is delayed so I got it on PS4.

If smash isn’t good and they wait another year to release Super Nintendo games on my 2018 Nintendo console it’s going on eBay.

colas
Feb 14, 2007

Rolo posted:

my 2018 Nintendo console it’s going on eBay.

There's nothing you like so far?

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

Yeah, I was debating picking one up. Why do you not love it?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Tim Whatley posted:

Edit: Here's a very helpful tutorial that I just skimmed through.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3TeP1G5lO0
If you're not familiar with small electronics I'd recommend it. He also shows how to replace the shell for the console which again, is quite easy compared to the Joycons.

I tried to watch this, but the guy looks like a nerdy Bas Rutten and I just can't get past his voice not being right.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Snowmankilla posted:

Yeah, I was debating picking one up. Why do you not love it?

It’s really popular and awesome hardware. I liked Zelda and Mario a ton. Other than that it’s good for a few indies and expensive ports from years ago. I haven’t liked a game since Celeste.

I also don’t like tennis, Pokémon or anime so it sort of ruins a lot of it. I think I’m just growing out of gaming so the limited library (it is) doesn’t help.

E: and their online matchmaking with friends is practically nonexistent. They handicap people that like to play games socially because Nintendo.

Rolo has a new favorite as of 02:55 on Jun 5, 2018

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
A :krad: boardgame to take to Gencon and play with goons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Bottom Liner posted:

A :krad: boardgame to take to Gencon and play with goons

Oh man, I'm gonna have to try and join in on this one.