Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Durkon shows him a memory of a time he asked him to show him a memory, the current memory from 10 seconds ago. He's trapped forever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

Durkon shows him a memory of a time he asked him to show him a memory, the current memory from 10 seconds ago. He's trapped forever

"Durkula! Ah'v come tae bargain!"

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1123.html
:siren:Swirly Attack!:siren:

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Ooh, Sunder Attack without the appropriate feats. Good job!

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015
Well, this is the second time it's happened to her - and either she didn't had one (and hopefully, she learned her lesson), or fixing a bowstring is too slow for combat.
E: Regarding the lack of feat - it just means that: A.he makes a lower roll; B.she would get an AOO - doesn't matter here, as she's using a bow.

Gun Jam fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Jun 4, 2018

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

You could probably fix a bowstring with a mend cantrip

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

You could probably fix a bowstring with a mend cantrip

This led me on a mental tangent.

1. Wouldn't a magic items cost forbid the use of mend.
2. Are the strings of bows separate items?
2a. Are the strings magic?
3. Do magic items experience normal wear and tear?

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

They'll bend the knee or I'll destroy them

ikanreed posted:

This led me on a mental tangent.

1. Wouldn't a magic items cost forbid the use of mend.
2. Are the strings of bows separate items?
2a. Are the strings magic?
3. Do magic items experience normal wear and tear?

Unless your DM is a dick, Mending would work.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Brony Hunter posted:

Unless your DM is a dick, Mending would work.

I guess? Depending on the tone of your game, they could be really relevant questions a la Roy's sword being star metal.

If your +5 bow holy can only be strung with a tail hair of a unicorn, spares are hard to come by.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

ikanreed posted:

I guess? Depending on the tone of your game, they could be really relevant questions a la Roy's sword being star metal.

If your +5 bow holy can only be strung with a tail hair of a unicorn, spares are hard to come by.

Would make things interesting in a fantasy D&D setting version where the Dominion invading the Peasant Republic loses half of their magitek tanks because they lack enough spare devils blood to run their engines.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Raenir Salazar posted:

Would make things interesting in a fantasy D&D setting version where the Dominion invading the Peasant Republic loses half of their magitek tanks because they lack enough spare devils blood to run their engines.

So, the Nazis on the Eastern Front?

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Colonial Air Force posted:

So, the Nazis on the Eastern Front?

So Hobgoblin's, with tanks.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
What is Durkula doing with the throne? It looks like he's packing up and leaving, which seems like a grave tactical blunder, even for him.

I like that Hilgya is still covering the baby's eyes, and that no vampires could think of anything useful for Elan to do. :3:

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

What is Durkula doing with the throne? It looks like he's packing up and leaving, which seems like a grave tactical blunder, even for him.

I like that Hilgya is still covering the baby's eyes, and that no vampires could think of anything useful for Elan to do. :3:

It got knocked over, he's just straightening up. Apparently feels pretty confident this fight no longer needs his attention.

Ponsonby Britt
Mar 13, 2006
I think you mean, why is there silverware in the pancake drawer? Wassup?
When the vampire says that Belkar "barely needed a nudge," does she mean that he barely needed a nudge to attack the dwarf cleric whose name I've already forgotten? Or that he barely needed a nudge to protect V?

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Ponsonby Britt posted:

When the vampire says that Belkar "barely needed a nudge," does she mean that he barely needed a nudge to attack the dwarf cleric whose name I've already forgotten? Or that he barely needed a nudge to protect V?

It's Belkar. He barely needed a nudge to attack anyone.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

And I think he also has a terrible Will save, if you want to look at it that way.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

He said "protect V" as he was stabbing her. I think the push was just to make him think the cleric was attacking V and he had to defend her.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
It's not a new joke, either. Remember Nale's Suggestion?

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

Colonel Cool posted:

He said "protect V" as he was stabbing her. I think the push was just to make him think the cleric was attacking V and he had to defend her.

Also a nod to Belkar’s character growth - he actually does give enough of a poo poo about his teammates now to willingly defend them.

Earnestly
Apr 24, 2010

Jazz hands!
Yeah, or it's a bluff. He may not actually be dominated because of his protection from evil cloak pin, but perhaps is acting as if so to close in on NotDurkon with his guard down.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!
Nah, he couldn't fake the swirly eyes. One of those fun times the "game mechanics are concrete and everyone has a certain level of meta awareness" thing about the comic actually effects the plot.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

If the greater dispel was suppressing the effect of the magic item that could wear off before the dominate though, right? So in a few rounds the protection from evil gizmo could turn back on and zap him?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Facebook Aunt posted:

If the greater dispel was suppressing the effect of the magic item that could wear off before the dominate though, right? So in a few rounds the protection from evil gizmo could turn back on and zap him?

I think that the vampire doing the dispel would have had to have been specifically targeting the clasp that does the protection from evil bit. Area dispels don't affect magic items. That being said, Nokrud does know that Belkar has an item that protects against domination due to their earlier altercation in the Godsmoot temple. But, yeah, in 1d4 rounds the item will start working again, so it's going to be at most 4 actions from Belkar while dominated, assuming the Order doesn't break the control early.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Belkar never triggered his clasp of Protection from Evil. It doesn't do anything when it's off, and it's not gonna turn on on its own.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Belkar never triggered his clasp of Protection from Evil. It doesn't do anything when it's off, and it's not gonna turn on on its own.

What if he activates it while fighting the "Evil" cleric that he is protecting V from?

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente
Can the cat activate it for him?

Earnestly
Apr 24, 2010

Jazz hands!

jeebus bob posted:

Can the cat activate it for him?

Scruffy is an animal companion, not a familiar.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Answer the God damned question!

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Answer the God damned question!

Animal companions aren't smart enough to operate magical items. Scruffy is basically a normal cat with extra hit dice. He can be trained to attack on command, but not operate a smart phone.

That said, dispel magic on a magic item doesn't turn it off, it suppresses it for 1d4 rounds, after which Belkar's back on team technically good guys.

e: Wait, the item isn't a continuous protection from evil, is it, it's activation. Welp! He's a thrall for a while, then.

Mystic Mongol fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Jun 9, 2018

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Mystic Mongol posted:

Animal companions aren't smart enough to operate magical items. Scruffy is basically a normal cat with extra hit dice. He can be trained to attack on command, but not operate a smart phone.

That said, dispel magic on a magic item doesn't turn it off, it suppresses it for 1d4 rounds, after which Belkar's back on team technically good guys.

e: Wait, the item isn't a continuous protection from evil, is it, it's activation. Welp! He's a thrall for a while, then.

What about that hero dog that called 911

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

It's sort of funny that the big turning point for the battle was just "Oh, they pre-buffed, cast Dispel and then hypnotize them." For the hay that was made early on about the Order having actually planned and prepared this time it seems like they didn't really have a plan beyond the first two rounds.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

What about that hero dog that called 911

Phones aren't magical items-- this is D&D, not Mage: the Ascension. And even if it was, phones have been part of the Consensus for a looong time.

God, I miss M:tA.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

Mystic Mongol posted:

True, but it’s been strongly suggested a couple of times that Scruffy is significantly smarter than your average housecat (e.g. he noticed not-drizzt’s scrying sensor, which requires an Int of 12+ iirc).

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Cabbit posted:

Phones aren't magical items-- this is D&D, not Mage: the Ascension. And even if it was, phones have been part of the Consensus for a looong time.

God, I miss M:tA.

Wait, did I understand you right that phones actually run on magic in the WoD universe and nobody realises it? :catdrugs:

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

System Metternich posted:

Wait, did I understand you right that phones actually run on magic in the WoD universe and nobody realises it? :catdrugs:

And every historical event was caused by either a vampire or a wizard. WoD was a bit of a mess.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

A.o.D. posted:

And every historical event was caused by either a vampire or a wizard. WoD was a bit of a mess.

In WoD sometimes paradox was only caused if you there fireballs down main street and the norms saw you.

And in other editions, throwing fireballs anywhere cause fireballs because the Universe knows what you did.

WoD was a real mess.

Oh and Rasputin was claimed by seven different clans.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

System Metternich posted:

Reality in WoD is determined by consensus. If most of the humans alive on the planet would look at a phone and say, "That's a phone," the phone works for anyone.

Therefore, if something is widely accepted, it's not "magic" anymore.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

So WoD technology runs on an equivalent of Warhammer 40k Orc's belief system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

nimby posted:

So WoD technology runs on an equivalent of Warhammer 40k Orc's belief system.

40k Ork teck is more consistent and rational.