Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
Shinohara rules and I want him to be my best friend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Sega did a live stream showing off the 3-5 remasters last night and while they didn’t officially announce anything, Nagoshi said one of the reasons they made them is the surge in popularity in the West. So I think we can look forward to them coming over eventually

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

https://twitter.com/raiohv/status/1001643026949820418?s=21

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

curried lamb of God posted:

Shinohara rules and I want him to be my best friend

Speaking of real people in Yakuza games, the darts guy in Yakuza 6 was so awkward. His English lines felt so out of place.

On the upside, darts in 6 was much better than in some of the other games; instead of the semi-random nature of the past ones, you could reliably hit what you wanted to as long as you timed it right.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

MonsterEnvy posted:

So people who would you say your favorite final boss is in the Yakuza series.
3s entire hospital worth of enemies

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Playing Kenzan is helping me relearn a lot of the words and kanji I've forgotten since I studied Japanese many years ago. Plus, I now recognize the kanji for "murder", which is always helpful!

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
The final boss fight(s) in 4 are pretty good (granted you got the sacred tree armor for Tanimura), considering how the battle theme grows with each one.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
Hm yes but do you know the kanji for EXTREME?

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Deceitful Penguin posted:

3s entire hospital worth of enemies

The American dude who talked in American and was flipping the gently caress out with dual pistols was so good

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Taintrunner posted:

The American dude who talked in American and was flipping the gently caress out with dual pistols was so good
3 is my first and only Yakuza game I completely finished and even then BRACKU MONDAY is mostly wiped outta my memories for being incredibly dumb

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hahaha what the gently caress is this Yakuza 4 plot twist holy poo poo the end of Tanimura’s section is so loving bizarre

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Taintrunner posted:

Hahaha what the gently caress is this Yakuza 4 plot twist holy poo poo the end of Tanimura’s section is so loving bizarre

This is correct.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Taintrunner posted:

:allears: Good to see folks reel at that.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

My first thought when I read that was "which plot twist was that again?" because there's a few of those in Yakuza 4.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I still think 3 is the lowest point in that series (but still pretty alright!) but drat, does 4 get pretty fuckin' wacko.

However, Majima becoming the god-king of the city who can clear a path at will was absolutely amazing.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
Just finished Kiwami and enjoyed it a lot, it didn't feel like a letdown after 0 as a lot of people have said

The moment where Kiryu announces himself as the fourth chairman was fantastic

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

Shinjobi posted:

Dolly forever

harperdc posted:

So does Erranda, who has real good funny stats. Her and the obatarian are a good bench behind the platinum hostesses.

yeh this was my hostess squad

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
Ms. Isobe is very good if you finished the disco substory, pretty much an unofficial platinum hostess

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

Unfortunately I was incredibly bad at the disco minigame.

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

Today I found out that Don Quijote is a real chain of stores and I'm still reeling.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

punchymcpunch posted:

Today I found out that Don Quijote is a real chain of stores and I'm still reeling.

Not only is it real, but they are REALLY well represented in Yakuza. They are incredibly cramped and just stuffed floor-to-ceiling with the most batshit random stuff you can even imagine.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
To each their own - I was bad at the Disco minigame until I wasn't. It's a bit like Rock Band in that the lower difficulties are tougher for most folks because the inputs don't intuitively match the rhythm of the song. Beyond that, it's just putting in some extra steps before each beat and nailing the super.

In the final danceoff for Isobe, I had a not great performance but won by 50 points. It's easier than it seems at first.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
https://twitter.com/rainbowfission/status/1002979428866187264

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future

ALFbrot posted:

Not only is it real, but they are REALLY well represented in Yakuza. They are incredibly cramped and just stuffed floor-to-ceiling with the most batshit random stuff you can even imagine.

Yep and the jingle that plays is real too. Don-don-don, donki...donki hote! When the first Mega Donki opened up in the small town where I lived it was pretty magical.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I finally finished Yakuza 4! That is, uh, the world's greatest wrestling entrance that I have ever seen. It's better than 3 and I liked how the climax came together but it did leave me wanting kinda. The baby sidestory was pretty great, they let you name a loving baby whatever you want for god's sake.

The jump from 4 to 5 is... wow. drat. You can really see how 0 started out a PS3 game. Also the passing of time with the characters is super wild, but I'm barely into Kiryu so far. I know people say it's too ambitious for its own good, but having started from 0 to just starting 5, you really do see the jump in every quality over time.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

I finally got around to finishing up the last few chapters of Kiwami, here are some thoughts:

- Like many others have stated, the boss fights in Kiwami are not very good. Bosses in Yakuza tend to have far too much health as it is, so let's give them a health regen ability! Yeah, it's easy to interrupt that with a heat action (does the game ever actually tell you that any heat action will stop the healing, not just the Kiwami moves?) but it's still a pain in the rear end and the number one reason why I put the difficulty down to easy for the last third of the game. The second to last boss was still a bunch of bullshit and I hated it. Sure, let's give him respawning mooks, that'll be fun. At least those guys lose their guns after you knock them out once and it's not too bad once you're down to the boss and one knife-wielding dude, so it could've been much worse.

- I love Majima and want him to be my friend, but as many others have also said, Majima Everywhere is not a good feature. I liked all the scripted rank-up scenes, but constantly running into Majima when you're just trying to get to the next substory or plot point just sucks, especially later on when he has five goddamn health bars. I also don't like how the Dragon style is tied to fighting Majima and doing the coliseum fights, because you have to do a shitton of grinding to level up the style to where it was at the start of the game. I never even got some of the skills, because Everybody's Idol Goro just would not loving spawn, ever. There were also a few I missed because I guess they required me to play more MesuKing and... well, I'd rather not.

- I liked all the references to Yakuza Zero, as well as the new Nishiki scenes that fleshed out his heel turn.

- The finale and ending :gbsmith: The voice acting is fantastic throughout the game, but it was especially on point there.

While the gameplay and presentation are obviously improved in Kiwami, I might actually prefer the original PS2 version. Yeah, it's rough around the edges and the English dub is horrid for the most part, but at least it is somewhat focused. Kiwami feels like they just threw a bunch of new stuff and recycled Yakuza Zero game mechanics on top of a decade-old PS2 game and called it a day without really trying to make it all fit together. Kiwami was obviously a low-budget affair and the price point reflected that (unless you bought a a physical copy in my country :argh:), so I'm not going to be too harsh on the game.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Kiwami is a bookend to Yakuza 0 and I was torn the gently caress up at the final boss fight of that game.

hamburgers in pockets
Jun 18, 2005

Yeah, that's blood. It'll get better before the show.

punchymcpunch posted:

Even better is playing other games that didn't get the licenses and still recognizing them. Yakuza has official Boss Coffee and Don Quixote shops, while Persona 5 has Oyabun Coffee and Rocinante stores. :eng101:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Last night I did chapters 12 and 13 in 0 (I was playing multiplayer games with friends all week) and I used a heat action to throw a guy off a bridge, this game continues to find new ways to own.

Also omg that Oda/Makoto reveal :aaaaa:

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Oda vaguely reminds me of Akiyama. Something about the way he talks.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
wow why in the gently caress do these games not have an autosave ugggggggggghhhhhhh

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Moridin920 posted:

wow why in the gently caress do these games not have an autosave ugggggggggghhhhhhh

At least, starting with Kiwami, you can save from the pause menu and not use the phone booths. It took me way too long to figure that out.

Gr4vyB04t
Jan 31, 2010

Hey gurl, hey.

Moridin920 posted:

Ahaha yeah, I had to redo the dog saving poo poo from the beginning like 4 times because of this.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yakuza 5 is rad. I had to haul a food cart around town and also did Tokyo Drift poo poo also I’m a 47 year old man racing a taxi against young street punks this game owns also my wife is being a goddamn controller hog

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I remember liking Yakuza five a ton and then hitting saejimas chapter like a brick wall. Everything he's doing and everything about him is just so lame campared to kiryu.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
Kiwami: Man, I was really hoping to close out the Pocket Fighter's Replacement substory without having to go through all 40,000 races in the Pocket Circuit proper. Why did they make the first few races piss-easy in the substory, only to gently caress you with King poo poo Turbodick at the end

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future

ALFbrot posted:

Kiwami: Man, I was really hoping to close out the Pocket Fighter's Replacement substory without having to go through all 40,000 races in the Pocket Circuit proper. Why did they make the first few races piss-easy in the substory, only to gently caress you with King poo poo Turbodick at the end

Just use a parts set up guide. There were only a handful of races in Kiwami that require winning against RNG if you set things up properly.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

Gaius Marius posted:

I remember liking Yakuza five a ton and then hitting saejimas chapter like a brick wall. Everything he's doing and everything about him is just so lame campared to kiryu.

This but Shinada. His chapter was creepy af

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Ytlaya posted:

Oda vaguely reminds me of Akiyama. Something about the way he talks.

I'm pretty sure Oda is literally a face swap of Akiyama's model, just like Bacchus is a version of Akiyama's Yakuza 5 bonus outfit.

Terminally Bored posted:

This but Shinada. His chapter was creepy af

Yeah, I really enjoyed the film noir aspect of Shinada's character as a disgraced man trying to unravel the conspiracy that took everything away from him. But man, I did not enjoy how they seemed to lean hard into the disgraced part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

Crappy Jack posted:

I'm pretty sure Oda is literally a face swap of Akiyama's model, just like Bacchus is a version of Akiyama's Yakuza 5 bonus outfit.

Isn't that all the characters though? I love it when a group of people turn around to walk away in absolute perfect unison.