Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

VA-11 Hall-A is bad and goes to dark place approx 15 min into the intro. I did like the pixel art and cat though. Game play is meh too.

The sad part of 7s is that it never fully embraces the poor writing and the author doesn't do anything interesting with the plot. Sosuke felt flat as Logic Man and he reminds me too much of irl former friends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

NRVNQSR posted:

Opinions vary wildly. I've met people who prefer ZTD to VLR; I wouldn't go that far myself, but I consider all three games very good.

Probably two thirds of ZTD is very good, but the true ending is super bad and it retroactively made me dislike even the stuff that was fun initially. The whole setup seemed a lot more fun than 999/VLR but I don't feel like it was explored nearly as well - which is a shame because of the deep ties to VLR.

quote:

We can probably agree that ZTD isn't a visual novel, though.

I was about to argue this point but. . . . you're actually pretty right there, huh. The character jumping mechanic would have made a more "VN-y" narration really weird.

nabo
Oct 23, 2010

Alder posted:

VA-11 Hall-A is bad and goes to dark place approx 15 min into the intro.

Darker than thread favorites Zero Escape series, Danganrompa, House in Fata Morgana, etc?? I mean there is a lot to criticize about va-11 h4lla (or w/e), but "it gets dark" falls kinda flat in this thread.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

food court bailiff posted:

Probably two thirds of ZTD is very good, but the true ending is super bad and it retroactively made me dislike even the stuff that was fun initially. The whole setup seemed a lot more fun than 999/VLR but I don't feel like it was explored nearly as well - which is a shame because of the deep ties to VLR.

This is 100% my view. The end makes the rest of the game worse, and really soured my memory. There are bits that are genuinely very cleverly set up, but they're not enough to save itself from its ending.

As for whether or not it's a VN, I guess not. Not really sure what it would come under though. An adventure game?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

playing DR3 and while the first case was interesting and I liked the twist was the dialogue always this shoddy and I just forgot? Feels like every conversation is just people talking past each other to make gimmicky quips that don't land.

I like the small handful of relatively normal people like the astronaut tho

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017

Alder posted:

VA-11 Hall-A is bad and goes to dark place approx 15 min into the intro. I did like the pixel art and cat though. Game play is meh too.

The sad part of 7s is that it never fully embraces the poor writing and the author doesn't do anything interesting with the plot. Sosuke felt flat as Logic Man and he reminds me too much of irl former friends.

Oh yeah I wasn't crazy about him but he actually had back and forth with the protag, a past that was actually related to the village/mystery (unlike the previous who were from the village but... knew nothing about the plot lol) and his route had an actual rising escalation of reveals and progression.

The other three were absolutely abysmal. You could literally take them out or fuse them into one route and you wouldn't miss a thing. Its, no kidding, the worst case of plot progression I've seen so far in an otome game and they aren't always famous for their excellent writting. And then sosuke comes and it's a normal game again.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

nabo posted:

Darker than thread favorites Zero Escape series, Danganrompa, House in Fata Morgana, etc?? I mean there is a lot to criticize about va-11 h4lla (or w/e), but "it gets dark" falls kinda flat in this thread.

mostly it just gets cheap

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

IME DR is closer to absurdity than dark themes. I haven't played the other games yet.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

CottonWolf posted:

This is 100% my view. The end makes the rest of the game worse, and really soured my memory. There are bits that are genuinely very cleverly set up, but they're not enough to save itself from its ending.

Just echoing this. Part of my enjoyment of the earlier game was based around trying to figure out what was going on (under the assumption that the answer would be something similarly entertaining to some of the reveals in the first two Zero Escape games). Now that I know the explanation isn't anything particularly good, it retroactively makes that stuff less interesting.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Man now I'm just super disappointed again that funding issues prevented the third Zero Escape game from being truly great

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

The issue is the story. I'm not sure more money would have saved it. Personally, I didn't have any problems with the presentation.

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017
Its very often that the resolution to very big mysteries involving a lot of questions/ variables end up not living up to the questions. I often think that it's either better to leave them open ended / focus on the character drama part of it.

It's one thing to have a very closed circuit murder plot; but the zero escape plot probably could never live up to expectations.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

Meallan posted:

Its very often that the resolution to very big mysteries involving a lot of questions/ variables end up not living up to the questions. I often think that it's either better to leave them open ended / focus on the character drama part of it.

It's one thing to have a very closed circuit murder plot; but the zero escape plot probably could never live up to expectations.

I keep wondering if he changed things though because reading interviews with him after VLR he alluded to things happening in the third game that never happened.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

quote:

"When Uchikoshi was developing the second and third games simultaneously, he had the plot skeleton for the third game which was left intact, but the rest of the game became totally different. It’s because when he was writing the plot, he already knew what the outcome was going to be, so he might end up getting bored in writing the scenario. In order to avoid that, he had a suggestion to ‘surprise himself even more’, which resulted in the story getting changed."

I guess money probably wasn't the issue, but I am very curious what the original draft was regardless.

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

CottonWolf posted:

To be fair, it's the third game in a series by Uchikoshi, and he's got a reputation of making the third game in his series have a bad ending :v:

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

@Meallan: do you have a ideal otome game? Other than C:R ofc as I'm curious what others would consider interesting.

Ideal Otome:
-working adults
-plot>romance
-MC has some exp dating
-Real world setting
-MC has personal interests apart from LI
-Fewer LI but better written interactions
-MC is allowed to have her own plans/life goals
-MC is proactive in her own way (We don't have to fight)
-LI are not controlling on any route

Although I like fantasy but so much of fantasy falls under tropes so if possible I would want to avoid that.

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017
Your points are pretty much the same for me?
My ideal otome would probably be in the same vein of 7scarelt (had it been good). Or the psychadelica (had it also removed high school setting + real weird gender politics). Basically I love atmosphere, especially suspenseful atmosphere. I love when the MC narration veers to the melancholic; I quite like sad stories... but I don't like them to go over the top full danganronpa (that works best in absurdist settings). This is probably something that can be applied to all VNs though.

You can see then how sad I was that psychadelica wasn't Great. And that 7scarlet not even good.

Hey I have other otomes I would like but I'll save it for tomorrow when I'm not about to fall asleep.

Edit: GIRLS. I want more girls and women in my otomes.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Gloomy Rube posted:

To be fair, it's the third game in a series by Uchikoshi, and he's got a reputation of making the third game in his series have a bad ending :v:

Yeah at least ZTD actually had an ending

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

ZTD rules, and probably my favorite character in the series originates from it.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

ZTD rules, and probably my favorite character in the series originates from it.

Gab?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

it could only be Eric

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Carlos was a good guy

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017
I remember liking Carlos almost exclusively for how much poo poo he had to put up with from June and Jumpei.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

My favorite character from ZTD? Heh let’s just say he’s a little..... complex

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Meallan posted:

Your points are pretty much the same for me?
My ideal otome would probably be in the same vein of 7scarelt (had it been good). Or the psychadelica (had it also removed high school setting + real weird gender politics). Basically I love atmosphere, especially suspenseful atmosphere. I love when the MC narration veers to the melancholic; I quite like sad stories... but I don't like them to go over the top full danganronpa (that works best in absurdist settings). This is probably something that can be applied to all VNs though.

You can see then how sad I was that psychadelica wasn't Great. And that 7scarlet not even good.

Hey I have other otomes I would like but I'll save it for tomorrow when I'm not about to fall asleep.

Edit: GIRLS. I want more girls and women in my otomes.

Some VNs have a female LI which is like 1/10 of the time. I'm always looking for female VA with Male LI for variety's sake and I wanted to date Nagito DR2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9QouxDdv3I

I feel ya since I should've liked the last 2 otome but a lot of factors dragged it down from poor writing scenario to rude characters <:mad:>

Also I feel like a huge aspect is just me outgrowing certain games as I approach 30 and less patience for difficult LI? I can see myself being OK maybe X person will change but now it's just X person is going to do that terrible thing over and over.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

dmboogie posted:

yep! though fyi Confines of the Crown is a straight-up VN, it doesn't have any gameplay mechanics like their other titles.

It's only like half-otome but I'll take a moment to plug Magical Diary while we're on the subject; it pokes fun at Harry Potter wizard school poo poo while simultaneously being kind of a love letter to it, the actual magic parts are surprisingly fun and in-depth and the characters are all p. endearing. There is one fukken asshat guy, but he is intentionally written to be Bad and is treated as such in-universe.

Re: asshat guy. If you completely refuse to put up with him, he actually leaves you alone and disappears from the rest of the story. I really, really did not expect to be able to tell an obviously major character to just gently caress off and have it actually work. Magical Diary impressed me in quite a few unexpected ways, and this was my favorite. I'll definitely be checking out Confines of the Crown soon.

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017
Omg I just finished 7scarlet and I'm sorry thread for derailing this again with this stupid game but for the two of you who have played it:

if Sosuke and Yuzuki were the game at its best then the brother route was the absolute plunge into poo poo again. Not only was he as interesting as toilet paper, there was no reason for him to be into Ichiko. He fell in love with her WHEN SHE WAS STARTING MIDDLE SCHOOL WHAT THE HELL. Spent 1 year in prison for no reason because he could escape all along!! Ichiko immediately went from "brother" to "yeah I'll make out with you", it took leas than 5 in game minutes. And I was just laughing at Hino being there too probably going "knew this dude was a siscon I just fuckin knew it". AND THEN THEY BURNED THE FLOWERS BECAUSE if they did so there would be no more revenants forever and it was just "what these villagers have not... in the centuries they have lived with this problem... ever tried destroying the flowers... that they know spawn them..." like I thought no one was bringing that idea because it was given that they had tried and it did not work. I assumed the flowers just rose again or something but no. That was the solution.
How can the same writer deliver some of the best moments of dread/anxiety during the forest part in Sosuke route also be the one who wrote all that spoilered above is the true mystery of Okuzato or wtv the place was called

Meallan fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jun 7, 2018

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Yeah...I cleared sosuke's route and the entire game continued to be mediocre. I read the summaries and I agree how pointless the solution ended up. At least you liked 2/5 LI so not a total waste of money?

I feel bad since I wrote it in the survey and it's so terrible.

Alder fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Jun 8, 2018

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017
Liked is definitely putting it too nicely. It was when the game was a 4-5/10 for me instead of like 2 or 3. I legit was kinda mad at the rest of the game. I see people recommending it on reddit and I want to fight them lol

It was a waste of money... I wouldn't recommend it above 5 euros to anyone, not even people used to mobage lol

Meallan fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Jun 8, 2018

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

@meallean join me and I have alot regrets corner. Did you find it weird how overprotective all the LI ended up? I must protect you 24/7!1 like m Mc is a adult and she is a capable person except when plot calls for risky business.

Reddit isn't the most enlightened place as ppl bought BAW and PC too.

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017
It happens a lot in general but yeah it was so over the top in this one. Hino treated the MC like a godamn child and Isora went full Toma

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

Meallan posted:

How can the same writer deliver some of the best moments of dread/anxiety during the forest part in Sosuke route also be the one who wrote all that [garbage]

god i feel exactly the same way about g-senjou no maou. the whole first half of the game is this crime thriller, it keeps hinting that your alter-ego is the main villain, even the other characters are getting suspicious. there's lots of suspense and drama and i really really enjoyed it. it's like the whole thing is the setup for this psychological character drama where the big reveal is that actually YOU are the bad guy and the main character and all the heroines have to come to terms with that, and what that means for the main character's Self and all their relationships...

and then as soon as you lock into the final route it just goes right down the shitter. suddenly a whole scene-long infodump about some guy nobody's ever heard of who is actually the main villain who is, i poo poo you not, your long-lost twin brother that was mentioned once in a "yeah he died when i was a baby" kind of way and never even referred to again and the player has no reason to care about this new fuckboy, and then the rest of the game is (presumably) about the MC and the main girl teaming up to git da bad guy in the most vanilla "hero wins" way. that all flies in the face of the entire rest of the story. god, i read it like, more than a year ago and i am still so triggered by awful-writing whiplash.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

Radio Free Kobold posted:

god i feel exactly the same way about g-senjou no maou. the whole first half of the game is this crime thriller, it keeps hinting that your alter-ego is the main villain, even the other characters are getting suspicious. there's lots of suspense and drama and i really really enjoyed it. it's like the whole thing is the setup for this psychological character drama where the big reveal is that actually YOU are the bad guy and the main character and all the heroines have to come to terms with that, and what that means for the main character's Self and all their relationships...

and then as soon as you lock into the final route it just goes right down the shitter. suddenly a whole scene-long infodump about some guy nobody's ever heard of who is actually the main villain who is, i poo poo you not, your long-lost twin brother that was mentioned once in a "yeah he died when i was a baby" kind of way and never even referred to again and the player has no reason to care about this new fuckboy, and then the rest of the game is (presumably) about the MC and the main girl teaming up to git da bad guy in the most vanilla "hero wins" way. that all flies in the face of the entire rest of the story. god, i read it like, more than a year ago and i am still so triggered by awful-writing whiplash.

oh man I was gonna finish that but now I don't give a gently caress at all so that saves me some time

that's awful lmao

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
oh gently caress yeah well that VN is done for me too then.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Radio Free Kobold posted:

don't forget how the main character has randoms bouts of amnesia/disassociation (can't remember exactly which its been years) that in the narration happen to coincide exactly to switching to the villains perspective but its actually all just a big coincidence

not to mention im pretty sure they outright lie to you in the narration to hide the tricks in some of the prior mind-games. also figure skating

god g-maou sucks

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
I felt GSnM dropped the ball in the last act too, but for very different reasons. The twist was a bit dumb and poorly handled but I didn't really have a problem with it; for me the problem was that I liked the main heroine, and the last act completely removes all of her personality and competence, becoming little more than a victim to be saved by the MC.

I don't regret playing the game since it still had some great sequences early on, but it squandered a lot of potential.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

Cake Attack posted:

don't forget how the main character has randoms bouts of amnesia/disassociation (can't remember exactly which its been years) that in the narration happen to coincide exactly to switching to the villains perspective but its actually all just a big coincidence

not to mention im pretty sure they outright lie to you in the narration to hide the tricks in some of the prior mind-games. also figure skating

god g-maou sucks

that's what really gets me about the whole thing. they don't just leave it open and go "y'know, it's possible that you're the villain", no nigga they loving spotlight it, they hint at it, they dance around it, the player (and eventually the characters) figure out "wait a minute I'm the villain", they build up to it through the whole game like it's The Big Twist and then it just...isn't. like a big "gently caress you". nothing really stings so much as wasted potential.

Stefan Prodan posted:

oh man I was gonna finish that but now I don't give a gently caress at all so that saves me some time

that's awful lmao

don't let my salt stop you. i've heard the other three side routes are very good. just, uh. don't finish it.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

There should probably be a lot more spoiler tags in this discussion than there currently are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

NRVNQSR posted:

I felt GSnM dropped the ball in the last act too, but for very different reasons. The twist was a bit dumb and poorly handled but I didn't really have a problem with it; for me the problem was that I liked the main heroine, and the last act completely removes all of her personality and competence, becoming little more than a victim to be saved by the MC.

I don't regret playing the game since it still had some great sequences early on, but it squandered a lot of potential.

My main issue is the same. I technically called the twist before it happened (as soon as the relevant details came up) so that part didn't bother me. But they really hosed up Haru's personality.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

There should probably be a lot more spoiler tags in this discussion than there currently are.

MegaZeroX fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Jun 9, 2018