Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jazzzzz posted:

Since y'all are posting pics of suspension work - how much of a pain in the rear end is swapping cartridges in USD forks if you've never done it before? I'd have to buy a bunch of tools, so I'm already leaning towards just taking the forks to a shop to have them do it.

It's really no more painful than just doing fork seals, you're just putting something else in when you reassemble. The difficulty lies in how cunty the designer of your particular fork chose to be as that determines how much you need to spend on bullshit special tools.

Showa/kayaba = please don't hurt me
Wp/ohlins = bring em on
Marzocchi = i am death incarnate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
I am having a motherfucker of a time with compressing the springs in my KTM’s front forks, fwiw.

E: pre-emptive “I am having a motherfucker of a time with compressing the springs in my KTM’s front forks, fwiw.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Love those rims

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Jazzzzz posted:

Since y'all are posting pics of suspension work - how much of a pain in the rear end is swapping cartridges in USD forks if you've never done it before? I'd have to buy a bunch of tools, so I'm already leaning towards just taking the forks to a shop to have them do it.

I have about $200 in special tools, not counting the stuff I made myself. A variety of high speed compression adjuster removers and fork cap removers. These are required. I have a few damping rod holders, and some vice grips for specific diameters.

I don't have any seal drivers cuz lol y.

Though customized suspension is pretty much required in the dirtbike world, doing it yourself is a bad idea unless you know what you're doing. Send it out.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

This is excellent. How'd you paint them?

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
I ordered silver Warp 9 rims and had a spare set of hubs and took them to a local powder coater, who gave me a bit of side eye about the purple rims and gold hubs request (I also dropped them off in a purple Scion xB low rider) but did a really kickass job.

The Ride Now in Chandler put the tires on and scraped some of it but it’s not a princess it’s a dirt bike, right?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

shacked up with Brenda posted:

I have about $200 in special tools, not counting the stuff I made myself. A variety of high speed compression adjuster removers and fork cap removers. These are required. I have a few damping rod holders, and some vice grips for specific diameters.

I don't have any seal drivers cuz lol y.

Though customized suspension is pretty much required in the dirtbike world, doing it yourself is a bad idea unless you know what you're doing. Send it out.

How do you put the seals in without munting them if you haven't got drivers? Pvc pipe or something?

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
Guess I'll replace gaskets and clean up the cases on the pretty new to me XR200R motor that's finally getting a top end refresh:

Hmm well that's worrying. Wait something looks real hosed here:

Uhhh wow I guess the Idaho farmboy PO installed the RH crank bearing replacement with some generous hammering.

I think I'm going to make this into a tiny clock face.

40oz of fury
Sep 24, 2007

~*JDM*~ turn signals and passenger grab bar

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

To be fair, that is the most JDM bike ever

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
that is a good lookin' bike

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Holy smokes that z900 is :swoon:

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Ola posted:

Holy smokes that z900 is :swoon:

I sat on one yesterday at the dealer while waiting to get a tire mounted. I didn't want to leave.

Also a Shiver, a CB1100, a Scout Sixty, a Thruxton, a Scrambler Sixty2, an SCR 950...

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I bought the $11 Amazon bead seat (This one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LW7PURZ)

For the money its not bad at all. The beads are held together with what I can only describe as thick fishing line. Each bead has multiple strands of it, woven together in whatever fractal design is required to hold all the beads.

There is no adjustment built in, so you have to tie off the tiedown elastic somewhere further down the elastic if you need it tighter, which I did to fit it on my elite. The fact that you have to tie off the elastic means that you cant really swap it between bikes with different seats. It doesnt really matter though at $11, you can just buy a second one, which I probably will for my SV650.

Other than that, its standard bead seat stuff. Keeps your butt cool, keeps it from getting sore longer than the stock seat will.

For $11, I highly recommend it.

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jun 4, 2018

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Thanks for the review of that. I've been meaning to get one of those $11 seats, and wasn't sure if it was okay vs the expensive ones.

Question, do you think the beads will mar or leave a mark on the seat they are used on, when removed down the line?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

They feel smooth enough to me that they wouldnt physically damage the seat. It remains to be seen how well the beads keep their black color, I'd imagine not well, as crappy paint is SOP for Chinese stuff

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Plot twist: they're actually ebony.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Almost gave up because I have no idea what the gently caress I'm doing, but persevered and got the carbs off finally :toot:

Gave them babby's first clean (they didn't seem particularly dirty though, there was only a little sandy crap in the bottom of the bowls) and got everything put back together probably correctly before the sun went down.

I'm still cleaning the air filter, doubt I'll get the oil done tonight so I won't know if I seriously hosed anything up until at least tomorrow. Even if it's still broken by then, I'm proud of myself for keeping at it and getting this much done.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
That sandy crap is all it takes to plug a jet.

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Suck the head for a little extra cajun flavor
Fallen Rib
My friend sold his FJ09 but keep his aftermarket exhaust to sell to me!

Out with the old:

:getin:

Install was easy, under one hour. I left the baffle in, don't want to bike to loud and don't want to re-tune the fuel mapping.

Bike looks and sounds great. Feels like it has more power around 7k rpm but what the hell do I know, this bike is powerful as hell anyway.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Send your ECU to Nels at 2wheeldynoworks, it takes about 4 days including shipping and you can find coupon codes or sales on the various bike forums so it costs around $250 or so. You'll never regret spending that money.

My brother did it on his FJ09 and I did my FZ10 and both are night and day better in every way.

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

Renaissance Robot posted:

Almost gave up because I have no idea what the gently caress I'm doing, but persevered and got the carbs off finally :toot:

Gave them babby's first clean (they didn't seem particularly dirty though, there was only a little sandy crap in the bottom of the bowls) and got everything put back together probably correctly before the sun went down.

I'm still cleaning the air filter, doubt I'll get the oil done tonight so I won't know if I seriously hosed anything up until at least tomorrow. Even if it's still broken by then, I'm proud of myself for keeping at it and getting this much done.

I saw that you're still having trouble in the other thread, so, I'll say that I also had all the symptoms of a clogged pilot jet. I bought what I heard was good for cleaning them—guitar wire*, 9 or 10 gauge—and took my carbs apart. They looked totally clean. You could even see through the pilot jet holes. I cleaned them regardless, moving the wire in and out of every orifice.

When I put them back together, bike had no more symptoms.

So, you really gotta clean them beyond what appears to be clean. They're sensitive.

*This is made of steel, and carb jets are brass, so you have to be delicate, or you might inadvertently be giving yourself bigger carb jets. The copper wire strand recommended in another thread is softer and safer, but not as easy to use. (Not particularly cheaper though, as the guitar wire itself was like £1.)

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Suck the head for a little extra cajun flavor
Fallen Rib

Spiffness posted:

Send your ECU to Nels at 2wheeldynoworks, it takes about 4 days including shipping and you can find coupon codes or sales on the various bike forums so it costs around $250 or so. You'll never regret spending that money.

My brother did it on his FJ09 and I did my FZ10 and both are night and day better in every way.

It's on the list for sure. Hitting a bump in A mode is terrible. Glad to here personal experience that it is worth it.

Cylon Dinner Party
Dec 2, 2003

bored now.
Today I pulled off some decals and rear passenger pegs. Then I found this under the seat.

This side is fine.

Wait... wtf

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah someone did t latch it right and then sat on it.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

It says right there jindal soft, if it were jindal hard it would've broken right off.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Pulled the lower fairing off of the Ninja for a little inspection (it's pretty chewed up on the underside).

I may leave it off.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
So your subframe is bent: a (short) guide.

Also did some busywork in replacing stripped / broken bolts, and I have license plate bolts instead of zip ties for the first time in forever.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Last weekend: adjusted CRF chains and bent a shift lever back close to where it should be. Those roots really jump out at ya!

Up to about 20 hours on them, no funny sounds or hard starts. Well beyond their 15 hour time bomb reputation :) They seem to run a little leaner off the bottom than they did when we first got em tho. Time order a couple mixture screws and pilot jets?

I have a couple friends who were all "I'm gonna get a dirt bike next month and join you riding" But after I've changed the engine and gearbox oils a couple times, changed the fork oil, checked the valves, greased the linkages, and tightened a couple spokes, they're all freaked about maintenance. LOL. That's not even getting started. Wait till the butter-soft titanium valve clearances start going!

clutchpuck fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Jun 11, 2018

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe

spandexcajun posted:

My friend sold his FJ09 but keep his aftermarket exhaust to sell to me!

Out with the old:

:getin:

Install was easy, under one hour. I left the baffle in, don't want to bike to loud and don't want to re-tune the fuel mapping.

Bike looks and sounds great. Feels like it has more power around 7k rpm but what the hell do I know, this bike is powerful as hell anyway.

I had an akra on my FZ-07 and I'm really tempted to put one on my 09 - how's the sound?

advion
Jul 25, 2005

spandexcajun posted:

It's on the list for sure. Hitting a bump in A mode is terrible. Glad to here personal experience that it is worth it.

I can only vouch for vcyclenut as that's who I went with to flash my ECU but it was back within a couple days and it feels great. He will also reflash for free if you get an exhaust or want changes. It's well worth the money to fix a couple of Yamaha's stupid decisions no matter who you go with.

Edit - Also I want that drat Akra.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
More KTM things happening. Cooling fans didn’t kick on at all yesterday, and boiled off a bunch of coolant on the way home from boxing practice.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Revvik posted:

More KTM things happening. Cooling fans didn’t kick on at all yesterday, and boiled off a bunch of coolant on the way home from boxing practice.

Would you buy a KTM from this man?

Seriously I'm sorry. Whats the culprit? Vibrated the contacts loose?

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
I’ll find out this weekend. I mean, overall, the time is irrelevant I just don’t wanna loving bother just yet. I’ve got my DRZ in the meantime.

Seriously tempted to fire sale this drat thing now.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
I will share in your KTM woes. My Duke 390 is randomly throwing "low oil pressure" errors. After reading a bunch of forums I have purchased a new oil pressure sensor.

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--
Swapped back to the stock seat after trying to like my new Sargent on the 05 SV650. I had one on my 06 SV and loved it, but that bike didn't have rearsets. Either that or this used seat was modified by one of the previous owners. Either way, I could never get comfy on it.

Oh well. Stock sits comfortably and I've been doing a lot less long rides now that it's $Houston hot. I'm going to try the $11 Amazon beads and throw up my Sargent on eBay.

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008
I got a new gas tank ordered today. It's a free warranty replacement because the Italians apparently never expected America to do something as stupid as put corn in the gas. My current tank is bubbling and doing all kind of weird poo poo. But the dealership was super helpful, took pictures, blah blah blah - they've got a replacement coming and everything is cool. Good times.

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

Replaced front fender that bird cracked and side fairing that human cracked. Found some OEM ones on eBay. Also had to basically remove the top end for spark plugs and air filter. Hopefully the iridium plugs are worth the price because screw doing that again.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Rode to work for the first time this season and got the last spot that's right by the side door. The side street that has a designated scooter/motorcycle zone has been packed most days so far, which is :coal:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

60k valve check/oil change.

Carb linkage is worn. It's a common problem with 950s that have some miles:

built a new linkage with some allthread and heims.