Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

The internet was a mistake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

CelticPredator posted:

They should just end Star Wars

It’s all toxic

Nah; the toxic people are just REALLY loud and annoying

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Star Wars already ended; Lucas sold it to Disney.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

....who then put out 4 movies, a TV series, a bunch of books and comics, etc.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

jivjov posted:

does your wife know that strangers on the internet are loving (with) you

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

jivjov posted:

That's our jivjov! [laugh track][freeze frame on jivjov's winking face][Text appears: Executive producer: Richard "Lowtax" Kyanka]

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

The MSJ posted:

That's our jivjov! [laugh track][freeze frame on jivjov's winking face][Text appears: Executive producer: Richard "Lowtax" Kyanka]

Oof, laugh tracks. Rough.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

jivjov posted:

Marjorie Carvalho, host of Star Wars Action News and Now Playing Podcast, found herself on the receiving end of bullying from Jedi Temple Archives moderation staff. That combined with all of the toxicity flowing from TLJ/Solo haters (specifically the people calling fans of those films "cucks" or "soyboys" or whatever, or being hateful about it, NOT people who merely disliked the films and can discuss them rationally) prompted her to start the #ForceOutHate movement to promote positivity and polite discussion in the Star Wars community.

A bunch of people from the fan community have been tweeting about it, and they even got a tweet from Joonas Suotamo

That this even had to be something kind of makes me want to never say I'm a fan of Star Wars. It all seems rife with some of the worst dregs humanly possible.

No one can enjoy anything, everybody is a loving angry frothing at the mouth sperg and any attempts at inclusion is a slight that deserves immediate retribution of the highest magnitude.

Boycotts, petitions, threats, insults.

Everyone go back to the 80s where it was socially unacceptable to be into this nerd poo poo.

:rant:

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

star wars is not under attack

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Nah, seeing a campaign like this is a good thing. There will always be assholes, there will always be people that can't stand the idea of minorities existing in their spaces....an organized response telling them to get hosed, that all are welcome to enjoy Star Wars....that's a powerful message, with repercussions beyond just Star Wars itself.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

AndyElusive posted:

That this even had to be something kind of makes me want to never say I'm a fan of Star Wars. It all seems rife with some of the worst dregs humanly possible.

No one can enjoy anything, everybody is a loving angry frothing at the mouth sperg and any attempts at inclusion is a slight that deserves immediate retribution of the highest magnitude.

Boycotts, petitions, threats, insults.

Everyone go back to the 80s where it was socially unacceptable to be into this nerd poo poo.

:rant:

this is just the internet, guy

there's nothing special about the star wars fandom that makes it more full of lovely people, there's gonna be lovely people no matter what you're into

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

it has never been socially unacceptable to like star wars, lmao

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Who the gently caress is joona suatomo

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

He's the guy playing Chewie now that Peter Mayhew's knees are dead.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

What the gently caress is the innernet?

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

somehow not a star wars character, but merely a star wars actor

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Brother Entropy posted:

All of Star Wars'a stage.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Admittedly I can understand the feeling of wanting to disassociate from particular things you like or even entire interest groups on the basis of the visible majority of people who associate with it being disgusting.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Rick and Morty is one of my favorite shows

:smith:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

CelticPredator posted:

Rick and Morty is one of my favorite shows

:smith:

You must have a very high IQ.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

He's a Finnish man who's probably smiling pleasantly at the mention of his name by A.O. Scott.

e; like Canada at the UN, he's just happy to be there

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Brother Entropy posted:

I remember when someone thought Daisy Ridley is the name of a Star Wars character.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Daisy Ridley?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Yes that was her point

Sorry, I hadn't yet watched her video. I generally agree with her all of the time but I liked this movie a LOT more than she did.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I think the problem with Solo is that it's a bad film and it's pretty easy to realize it's a bad film without watching it

CD.txt

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

jivjov posted:

Nah, seeing a campaign like this is a good thing. There will always be assholes, there will always be people that can't stand the idea of minorities existing in their spaces....an organized response telling them to get hosed, that all are welcome to enjoy Star Wars....that's a powerful message, with repercussions beyond just Star Wars itself.

Making the Star Wars fandom more inclusive is fine and all, but seems like bad prioritization when the actual films come out and nobody gives a poo poo after the initial box office.

The question is what people are being included into, and the answer with a film like Solo is seriously unclear.

Basically: why is your anti-bigotry rhetoric centered around enjoyment of Star Wars?

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Jun 5, 2018

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

AndyElusive posted:

What the gently caress is the innernet?

A place to buy parachute pants.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

"They died."

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

AndyElusive posted:

His penis is more machine now than flesh.

Twisted and evil.

This is the greatest post in the whole thread.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Real missed opportunity to have Darth Maul, right as he takes off his hood, say "YOU KNOW ME, AND I SURE KNOW YOU... EVERY ONE!"

Abalone Malone
Jul 26, 2002

I think 300 has some Frankensteins in it or something

Here is Lando singing about just the thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6V2oCX3Hn4&t=140s

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Kelly Marie Tran apparently deleted her Instagram.

Come on Star Wars fans, it's not her fault she was playing a terrible character with bad writing

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

Come on Star Wars fans, it's not her fault she was playing a terrible character with bad writing

I think Daisy Ridley deleted hers, too, not long after TFA.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Toxic as gently caress online communication has to be shut down but how? It's everywhere now. There has to be consequences to their actions because right now you can do whatever the gently caress you want.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Vintersorg posted:

Toxic as gently caress online communication has to be shut down but how? It's everywhere now. There has to be consequences to their actions because right now you can do whatever the gently caress you want.

Moderation, and just don't join communities that don't have it. Social media is brain poison.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Yeah, I was just coming here to post this. What is wrong with people? I remember her posting how excited she was to be in a Star Wars movie, and her enthusiasm was infectious and wonderful. The internet attacking to this point is just so god drat rage inducing.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Doronin posted:

I think Daisy Ridley deleted hers, too, not long after TFA.

In her case I think it was because she posted something about gun violence after one of the various school shootings and was mobbed over that rather than something to do with movies.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Wheat Loaf posted:

In her case I think it was because she posted something about gun violence after one of the various school shootings and was mobbed over that rather than something to do with movies.

I have no doubt it was a combination of that and things to do with her involvement in Star Wars.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

Wheat Loaf posted:

Ah, I didn't know that. I do remember her comments section being a spectrum of super misogynistic/hateful poo poo bashing her for being a female and in the movie, and people trying to balance it all out by saying nice things.

She was also the first young celebrity figure I knew of to speak out about female infertility and endometriosis (issues very close to home), so I was really sad to see her bail on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

This kind of poo poo will eventually and seriously taint the franchise if it hasn't already.

These fans are going to poison the well and nobody in their right mind will want to act in a Star Wars movie.

Might as well toss this franchise into carbon freezing until these loving low life's die off and reboot it when the world is so miserable they desperately need a reminder of what it was like to enjoy themselves at the movies.