Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

BiggerBoat posted:

Same. I need to see that movie again, actually. Creed was so loving great. How do I know the sequel is gonna suck bad?

Rocky was also great and look at the sequels

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Smiling Jack posted:

Rocky was also great and look at the sequels

Three terrific ones?

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

RCarr posted:

Three terrific ones?
Everybody remembers the musical montages and everything about Ivan Drago from Rocky IV. Nobody remembers Paulie's Robot Girlfriend. By itself that whole subplot drops the movie from competing for the title of 'Best Rocky' down into the dregs of the series.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

NorgLyle posted:

Everybody remembers the musical montages and everything about Ivan Drago from Rocky IV. Nobody remembers Paulie's Robot Girlfriend. By itself that whole subplot drops the movie from competing for the title of 'Best Rocky' down into the dregs of the series.

I'm pretty sure everyone also remembers the robot. It's just that she only shows up in about 3 scenes, I think. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if in, like, 30 years, declassified CIA documents reveal that the US government paid Stallone $20 million to make Rocky IV the way he did.

Also, I'll love Rocky IV because it gave us this 30 For 30 parody.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Paulie's sexbot was probably the most forward-thinking and accurate element of Rocky IV.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

exquisite tea posted:

Paulie's sexbot was probably the most forward-thinking and accurate element of Rocky IV.

BiggerBoat posted:

Same. I need to see that movie again, actually. Creed was so loving great. How do I know the sequel is gonna suck bad?

Maybe the Creed sequel will save the world from the current political climate, just like Rocky IV saved the world from the Cold War.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Man, I hated that loving robot.

All robots in contemporary 80's movies sucked because everyone was so blasé about them. The robot in Space Camp should have been the most amazing thing about NASA, instead it's just there to just wander around and launch random kids into space.

In Rocky 4 they should have just run that robot out there in front of the Russians and watched them fall to their knees and rend their clothing in despair when confronted by superior Western technology. Instead Paulie just nutted in it nightly.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Krispy Wafer posted:

Man, I hated that loving robot.

You say that, but what if "Real Steel" had been Rocky sequel where Rocky taught Paulie's robot to fight?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

The one thing I would have changed about Spider-Man: Homecoming would be

Damage Control should have given Toomes compensation but only something like 10% of what he spent. It's Tony knowing he's screwing over someone, trying to make ammends and loving it up. Such a small check would have been an insult.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Inzombiac posted:

The one thing I would have changed about Spider-Man: Homecoming would be

Damage Control should have given Toomes compensation but only something like 10% of what he spent. It's Tony knowing he's screwing over someone, trying to make ammends and loving it up. Such a small check would have been an insult.

I would have changed what his house looked like, because it made me lose all sympathy for him.

That home has to be worth millions, you could have gotten out of the game a long time ago if you weren't so greedy, Vulture.

Or Hollywood writers are so out of touch that they think that's a totally normal middle class house to have.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

WampaLord posted:

I would have changed what his house looked like, because it made me lose all sympathy for him.

That home has to be worth millions, you could have gotten out of the game a long time ago if you weren't so greedy, Vulture.

Or Hollywood writers are so out of touch that they think that's a totally normal middle class house to have.

Yes but to be fair, I don't think we know what his wife does. Perhaps shes a neuro surgeon?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Hey he’s just trying to feed his guys!

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Inzombiac posted:

Yes but to be fair, I don't think we know what his wife does. Perhaps shes a neuro surgeon?

In that case he didn't need to go into arms dealing at all!

Like after a point you stop being "I'm just doing this to provide for my family" and go full on into "I'm an arms dealer now, this will be my job until I retire, I guess, I'm just so darn good at it!"

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

WampaLord posted:

Or maybe he bought that house because of his arms dealing?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Davros1 posted:

Or maybe he bought that house because of his arms dealing?

Yes, that's my point. He could have gotten a modest normal house after like one or two jobs and been out of the game but he wanted to have a loving $4 million super home so he just kept on going and thus they undermined his whole "working class sympathetic background" thing.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I don’t think he’s ever the one more score type of villain? He has to be talked into the Stark job when every other option is gone.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Aphrodite posted:

I don’t think he’s ever the one more score type of villain? He has to be talked into the Stark job when every other option is gone.

Yep. He says several times that he's just trying to look out for his family but doesn't state an end goal.

I got the feeling like he knew everything could go pear-shaped suddenly so he wanted to get a good pile of cash beforehand. He was smart in not going after any huge target ubtil he was, uh, "forced" to go after Stark's plane.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Aphrodite posted:

That was after years and years of doing it, though.

E: VVV OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!

WampaLord has a new favorite as of 22:23 on Jun 4, 2018

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

maybe...he's a villian?

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

WampaLord posted:

Yes, that's my point. He could have gotten a modest normal house after like one or two jobs and been out of the game but he wanted to have a loving $4 million super home so he just kept on going and thus they undermined his whole "working class sympathetic background" thing.

When Stark sells weapons to terrorists it's business, but when Toomes does it is a crime? gently caress that.
He even says basically that in the movie.

Yeah, we know Stark grew a conscience and stopped doing that thanks to numerous movies, but the average person would be "yeah, right; rich douchebag just going to be quieter about it in the future." Because, seriously, where does T. Stark get all his money, enough to spend hundreds of billions of dollars on vanity flying weaponized armor and even some for his buddy Peter.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Stark stops selling weapons to people because it’s bad, that’s Iron Man 1. 10 years ago. Maybe Toomes should have watched that.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Aleph Null posted:

When Stark sells weapons to terrorists it's business, but when Toomes does it is a crime? gently caress that.

Selling weapons is bad no matter who does it, yes.

If you want to argue that Tony Stark should have been arrested as an arms dealer, I'm not going to argue against you at all.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

WampaLord posted:

Selling weapons is bad no matter who does it, yes.

If you want to argue that Tony Stark should have been arrested as an arms dealer, I'm not going to argue against you at all.

That was not my personal opinion, sorry, I should have said. That was the opinion of Toomes in the movie and he had a point. He decided "if that rich rear end in a top hat can do it, and steal my job, then I'm gonna do it, too" instead of "gently caress, I know selling weapons to bad guys is bad, maybe Stark should stop doing it--oh, he did, never mind."

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Toomes is the MCU`s Walter White. Cool.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Like Walter White became Heisenberg, Toomes became The Vulture.
edit: loving BEATEN

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
I have to say, turning The Vulture into an actually frightening and powerful villain is not something I expected.

I mean, I thought the best person to play Vulture was Ben Kingsley before this movie came out.

Consider what I remember

Versus what we got

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

Aphrodite posted:

Stark stops selling weapons to people because it’s bad, that’s Iron Man 1. 10 years ago. Maybe Toomes should have watched that.

....did he though? Cause I remember Hydra having some pretty sweet Stark Tech hovercarriers

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Tony didn't make the weapons, just the propulsion system.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!
Tony never sold weapons to terrorists. He had contracts with the military. It was his business partner who was secretly selling weapons to terrorists. Also, terrorists stealing them, etc. Tony himself was only "honoring" his contracts. And when he saw them in "enemy" hands and all that is when he shut that down (and thus fought his partner). And then Hammer picked up the contracts.

That's all legal poo poo across the board that happens in today's real world (your Lockheed's, your Rugers, etc). Contracts come and go.

Doing it from your trunk like the Vulture or Nick Cage in that other movie is what gets you in trouble.

Government semantics.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

Aleph Null posted:

I have to say, turning The Vulture into an actually frightening and powerful villain is not something I expected.

I mean, I thought the best person to play Vulture was Ben Kingsley before this movie came out.

Consider what I remember

Versus what we got

I was intrigued when I heard the villain was the culture and then I saw the trailers and I was so loving on board. Goddamn that's a loving cool design and he was a cool villain.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Ferrule posted:

Tony never sold weapons to terrorists. He had contracts with the military.

Ahh, but you contradict yourself.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

I just picked this up on my zillionth watch through of Frozen now that by younger daughter has discovered it:
When Anna and Kristoff after thrown out of Elsa's castle by Marshmallow, they go sliding down a snow filled ravine. Anna spins and tumbles the whole way down, but Kristoff who has spent his whole life in the mountains is able to maintain control and slide down feet first the whole way.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

Aleph Null posted:

Consider what I remember

Versus what we got

IIRC, John Malkovich was in talks to play Vulture in Sam Raimi's Spider-Man 4. I would have been down with that.

That said, Michael Keaton was loving awesome as Vulture and one of the best MCU villians overall. I like that they made the Vulture into a guy who made his money through scavenging instead of just being another mad scientist with a super suit, though.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

WampaLord posted:

They didn't undermine his "working class sympathetic background", the character himself did. You have sympathy for him because of Damage Control screwing him over, but once you see his house (and his previous murder of one of his compatriots) he'd already betrayed those beliefs himself.

He could have chosen not to rob Stark's plane, but the lure of "one last score" got to him. He was greedy, and had been greedy for a long time. He just didn't chose to see it.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

ZeusCannon posted:

I was intrigued when I heard the villain was the culture

I could stand a Consider Phlebas movie

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Davros1 posted:

They didn't undermine his "working class sympathetic background", the character himself did. You have sympathy for him because of Damage Control screwing him over, but once you see his house (and his previous murder of one of his compatriots) he'd already betrayed those beliefs himself.

The movie doesn't call any attention at all to his house being ridiculously expensive, though, I honestly think it's just writers being extremely out of touch.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Aleph Null posted:

Yeah, we know Stark grew a conscience and stopped doing that thanks to numerous movies, but the average person would be "yeah, right; rich douchebag just going to be quieter about it in the future." Because, seriously, where does T. Stark get all his money, enough to spend hundreds of billions of dollars on vanity flying weaponized armor and even some for his buddy Peter.
Clean energy / Legacy tech and patents from the weapons business that also have use for civilians IIRC.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

WampaLord posted:

The movie doesn't call any attention at all to his house being ridiculously expensive, though, I honestly think it's just writers being extremely out of touch.

When I saw that house, when Peter and Ned showed up, I thought it was a loving rich person's house.

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004
It's actually an extremely realistic portrayal. As a former poor (now middle class), I can tell you if you're down and out and suddenly find a great source of income you go nuts. Big rear end TV, big rear end house, fancy everything, because you've never had it before so you want all the things you dreamed of NOW. He's doing the very large scale version of "won the Fantasy 5, time to buy a boat to park in front of my double wide."
I have total sympathy for him because rich people hosed him, so his determination to out rich them makes total sense in his mind.

That doesn't make him right. I just totally understand the slide into villany.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

Guys, the Vulture was like two comma rich in the beginning because he owned the company and then was gonna lose everything thanks to Stark and Damage Control. His objective wasn't getting rich, it was staying rich.