Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Lysidas posted:

like someobdy in that twitter thread, i also wonder how this affects wiping / factory resetting a phone

is the phone now a brick if you forget the passcode and dont have the "wipe phone after 10 attempts" thing turned on?

if you have iCloud set up you can change the pin I think

but yes having it brick if you don’t know the passcode is good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug

Cocoa Crispies posted:

if you have iCloud set up you can change the pin I think

but yes having it brick if you don’t know the passcode is good

no, it is not good

what would be good is being able to wipe it and restore ios from itunes with all of your personal data gone, and not have a perfectly functional piece of electronics turn into a several hundred dollar paperweight

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

wiping involves having the enclave drop the key and generate a new one, which might still be possible with Apple tools, but that doesn’t require any path to extracting the key or decrypted existing data

e: Find my iPhone prevents a wipe without the iCloud password, in order to reduce theft

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Lysidas posted:

no, it is not good

what would be good is being able to wipe it and restore ios from itunes with all of your personal data gone, and not have a perfectly functional piece of electronics turn into a several hundred dollar paperweight

one time ipad

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

yeah if it wiped itself or something that'd be fine, having it brick just means if anyone ever buys one second hand and it wasn't properly cleared by the previous owner they just wasted $400 or w/e on a technically "working" phone that breaks immediately

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

i mean i'm sure they thought about this first and there's probably just some "oh you hosed up, tap here to erase everything" button

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Lysidas posted:

no, it is not good

since when does the data erasure after 10 failed unlock attempts mean you've functionally bricked your phone

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I feel like some people in this thread haven’t used iPhones or something

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

anthonypants posted:

since when does the data erasure after 10 failed unlock attempts mean you've functionally bricked your phone

he's saying the exact opposite

if you don't have that turned on, and thus have no way to trigger a wipe from the device itself, and the device isn't listening to anything over usb...

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug

anthonypants posted:

it does not, i am talking about the opposite: when you do not have the 10-pin-failure-wipe enabled, when that is not a way to erase the phone

(and if the phone doesnt have find my iphone enabled, because then you could wipe it through icloud.com/find)

if there is no automatic wipe after 10 failed pin attempts (which as far as i remember is the default), and the phone isnt enabled for find my iphone remote wipe, it seems like it might be impossible to reset it without the pin

ate all the Oreos posted:

i mean i'm sure they thought about this first and there's probably just some "oh you hosed up, tap here to erase everything" button

yeah i hope so

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Lysidas posted:

it does not, i am talking about the opposite: when you do not have the 10-pin-failure-wipe enabled, when that is not a way to erase the phone

(and if the phone doesnt have find my iphone enabled, because then you could wipe it through icloud.com/find)

if there is no automatic wipe after 10 failed pin attempts (which as far as i remember is the default), and the phone isnt enabled for find my iphone remote wipe, it seems like it might be impossible to reset it without the pin
i have no idea what you're trying to say here

the first thing you said -- being able to wipe your phone and restore ios from itunes with all of your personal data gone -- is possible. it is possible today, it was possible a year ago. in fact, you don't even need to do the "restore from itunes" thing at all. at what point does your phone become "a several hundred dollar paperweight" during this process, in your estimation

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Lysidas posted:

no, it is not good

the reason you want it to brick is to reduce the value in stealing and selling stolen iPhones

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug

anthonypants posted:

i have no idea what you're trying to say here

the first thing you said -- being able to wipe your phone and restore ios from itunes with all of your personal data gone -- is possible. it is possible today, it was possible a year ago. in fact, you don't even need to do the "restore from itunes" thing at all. at what point does your phone become "a several hundred dollar paperweight" during this process, in your estimation

this seems like more of an edge case the more i think about it, but this is the scenario:

• find my iphone is off
  • "wipe phone after 10 failed passcode entries" is off
  • you do not know the passcode, either you forgot it or you never knew it in the first place

at this point the phone will not communicate with anything over usb, so you cant wipe it through itunes, and you cant wipe it through the phone itself

you used to be able to wipe the phone through itunes without the passcode, afaik

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug

Cocoa Crispies posted:

the reason you want it to brick is to reduce the value in stealing and selling stolen iPhones

this is something which find my iphone is already very good for, and i guess this extra "cant wipe the phone" behavior (if that is accurate) might be good for people who dont want to enable find my iphone but want their stolen phone to be useless to someone else

me, id rather be able to find my phone and remotely wipe it too, but i do know some people who are uneasy with giving apple the ability to lock down their phone remotely

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Lysidas posted:

this is something which find my iphone is already very good for, and i guess this extra "cant wipe the phone" behavior (if that is accurate) might be good for people who dont want to enable find my iphone but want their stolen phone to be useless to someone else

me, id rather be able to find my phone and remotely wipe it too, but i do know some people who are uneasy with giving apple the ability to lock down their phone remotely

Then use find my phone?

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Phone posted:

iirc the way the current ios pin enumeration works is by interrupting the 10x and you're out policy by killing the power to reset the counter. this is separate from law enforcement agencies having magic boxes that they plug your phone into and it basically does an entire dump of the phone including stuff that isn't accessible in user space.

1 hour USB timer throws a wrench in both, i think

that's how it used to work, then Apple switched things around so that it incremented the counter before reporting success or failure so the device watching the screen couldn't cut power before the write happened

also, Activation Lock already makes stole phones useless (except for parts), it is still active after the phone is wiped

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Lysidas posted:

this seems like more of an edge case the more i think about it, but this is the scenario:

• find my iphone is off
  • "wipe phone after 10 failed passcode entries" is off
  • you do not know the passcode, either you forgot it or you never knew it in the first place

at this point the phone will not communicate with anything over usb, so you cant wipe it through itunes, and you cant wipe it through the phone itself

you used to be able to wipe the phone through itunes without the passcode, afaik
i'm gonna assume that a factory reset will trip that usb accessories flag

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Lysidas posted:

a lot of people never use or don’t know about "find my iPhone"

having the phone be unusable without the passcode or iCloud access means someone who does use a six-digit passcode (like initial setup really really wants you to) still gets protection from phone thieves (there’s a lot of herd immunity there too) and governments

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug

anthonypants posted:

i'm gonna assume that a factory reset will trip that usb accessories flag

yes, my point is how do you do that factory reset when the phone is locked with a passcode you dont know, and wont communicate over usb

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

you allow DFU even when the phone otherwise refuses to communicate over USB

edit: a quick google suggests this is how it works now because DFU is in the boot ROM, not flash, so an iOS update can't modify the behavior

pseudorandom name fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Jun 5, 2018

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

pseudorandom name posted:

and this trashes the disk encryption key, right?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Lysidas posted:

yes, my point is how do you do that factory reset when the phone is locked with a passcode you dont know, and wont communicate over usb

Find my iphone?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Lysidas posted:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug

Cocoa Crispies posted:

a lot of people never use or don’t know about "find my iPhone"

having the phone be unusable without the passcode or iCloud access means someone who does use a six-digit passcode (like initial setup really really wants you to) still gets protection from phone thieves (there’s a lot of herd immunity there too) and governments

yeah im coming around to this behavior, if this is even how it works, it just seems a little :raise: at first

pseudorandom name posted:

ah okay, i was barely even aware of this mode and hadnt encountered that acronym before, let alone the procedure required to put the phone in that mode, wonder if that enables usb communication and if so that seems like a neat threat vector

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug

Trabisnikof posted:

Find my iphone?

i specifically said im talking about when find my iphone is off, otherwise of course you can wipe it that way

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Cocoa Crispies posted:

yes, but can't disable Activation Lock

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Lysidas posted:

i specifically said im talking about when find my iphone is off, otherwise of course you can wipe it that way
why would find my iphone be off

this line of questioning is very dumb, because if you have the phone but you don't know the pin, you absolutely should have to prove that the phone is yours before you can use it. whether that's taking it to your carrier, the apple store, plugging it into a computer with itunes, or using find my iphone. the alternative is to make it easier to use or sell stolen iphones.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

don’t they handle this case with an appleid check at the Apple store before dfu-blasting a device?

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Cocoa Crispies posted:

yeah it clears everything and reinstalls iOS from scratch using a signed image from Apple. the phone will still ask for the owner's appleid and password when you attempt to set it up because that's handled on Apple's end of things.

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Shifty Pony posted:

yeah it clears everything and reinstalls iOS from scratch using a signed image from Apple. the phone will still ask for the owner's appleid and password when you attempt to set it up because that's handled on Apple's end of things.

yes and this is extremely Good because it stops people from stealing your poo poo

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Lysidas posted:

ah okay, i was barely even aware of this mode and hadnt encountered that acronym before, let alone the procedure required to put the phone in that mode, wonder if that enables usb communication and if so that seems like a neat threat vector

You clearly weren't at all aware, otherwise you'd have googled it instead of repeating the same thing people didn't understand before a dozen times. Is someone timing you on how long you take to write a post?

Just to be clear, you can reset the phone using DFU, but this will destroy all data on the device before the device ever decrypts it. And once it's turned back on, it'll ask for your iCloud credentials just to make sure it's yours. It would need a hell of a security fuckup for that to be a threat vector.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

yes and this is extremely Good because it stops people from stealing your poo poo

definitely, it is very well thought out.

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!
is politics chat still off limits, because Mueller caught Manafort trying to tamper with witnesses and they quote "encrypted chat" messages that were apparently also stored on his iCloud account somehow? so this means that the feds can crack whatever chat program he was using, or the chat program lets you store transcripts in the cloud which is just loving lol

e: apparently it's both Whatsapp and Telegram

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

McGlockenshire posted:

is politics chat still off limits, because Mueller caught Manafort trying to tamper with witnesses and they quote "encrypted chat" messages that were apparently also stored on his iCloud account somehow? so this means that the feds can crack whatever chat program he was using, or the chat program lets you store transcripts in the cloud which is just loving lol

it could also be the much more mundane explanation of "the witness he tried to tamper with tipped them off and provided them with the messages"

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano
Yeah it's the latter

https://twitter.com/SevaUT/status/1003813040637317120

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
even better:
https://twitter.com/sevaut/status/1003813040637317120

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
e;f,b

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

McGlockenshire posted:

e: apparently it's both Whatsapp and Telegram

the chat app is whatsapp

https://twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/1003811739442524160

If you look in this list you see that some are listed as "Manaford iCloud production" which i think means Manaford gave it over, so the question isn't about access but about data retention

there's the simple solution that manaford didn't delete all his whatsapp messages, or also that an icloud backup contained old messages

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!
so having not used either of those before, do they just keep data on the device unencrypted, or unencrypt on unlock, or do they actually force you to authenticate when starting them up? If I ever cared about encrypted chat, I'd sure as hell want to make sure just acquiring the device wouldn't be a way to get the data.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
I think WhatsApp encrypts on the device but doesn’t encrypt it’s cloud backups maybe???

• Locked thread