Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

a mysterious cloak posted:

GTI bros: my car wants an oil change in 6 days or 4800 miles.

Which is it :ohdear:

It’s one a year or every 10k so I would change it in 6 days if you’re at almost a year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

Warbird posted:

Not hot hatch specific per se, but Apple is aparently letting Google get in on the Carplay stuff, so you can use Waze and Gmaps for navigation if you have an iPhone. Half the reason I got the car was to use the phone stuff, so I'm psyked.

Holy loving poo poo, there is a God.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Hammer down and clock 5k miles in a week on that sucker. Problem solved.

Anything I should know re: oil changes? I’ve always just gone to Walmart or jiffy lube with the Jeep, so I assume the same can be done with a GTI? I’ve got some AAA coupons I could use instead.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
DIY it or go to a real mechanic because quick lubes are bad.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
for real. quick oil change places are a grand way to overspend for a hosed up car.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Here4DaGangBang posted:

Holy loving poo poo, there is a God.

Yeah i didn’t believe it then googled it and holy poo poo. Now I need to sign up for the beta.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

I never in a million years thought I'd be able to use Google Maps via CarPlay. Can't wait. Mounting my small iPhone next to my giant built in LCD just for navigation because Apple Maps sucks was so dumb.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

iwentdoodie posted:

How long has it been since you changed it last?

Bought new in December. Never.

I get freebies for 3 years at the dealer.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
apple maps really isnt that bad but i'm glad to see waze will be available soon

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

BraveUlysses posted:

Yeah it gets a lot of hate but it’s worked fine for whenever I use Siri while driving.

Waze will be nice just for the cop alerts.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

BraveUlysses posted:

I think the "Apple Maps Sucks" thing is mostly an overblown meme nowadays, but it's pretty dependent on where you live. In the Bay Area I've been using only AM for years and it works great for me. I know it's much worse overseas.

But this is great, because when Mazda puts CarPlay in my CX9 this fall I can use Apple Maps & Apple Music and my wife can use Google Maps & Spotify and all will be well.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Apple Maps is largely fine. It has an annoying habit of doubling my commute time as I’m driving, but that could also easily be due to the traffic here being as hosed as it is. I do have a few gripes about how it doesn’t quite figure out that I want to park beside a given restaurant each morning because it’s closed (free parking) but it’s largely ok.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Warbird posted:

Hammer down and clock 5k miles in a week on that sucker. Problem solved.

Anything I should know re: oil changes? I’ve always just gone to Walmart or jiffy lube with the Jeep, so I assume the same can be done with a GTI? I’ve got some AAA coupons I could use instead.

The oil required for the GTI (and maybe most VWs) is like loving unicorn blood at any local places. I had to order some online for my upcoming first change. Here's what I went with.

https://www.shopdap.com/make-model-...change-kit.html

ManiacMatt
Feb 28, 2007

This is not the pleasure planet I was promised!
Any Euro goons try out the Hyundai i30N? Us on the other side of the pond are supposed to be getting an N model of the new Veloster by them (which has been getting quite good reviews for the Turbo model). So was curious what the closest equivalent has been like.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Larrymer posted:

The oil required for the GTI (and maybe most VWs) is like loving unicorn blood at any local places. I had to order some online for my upcoming first change. Here's what I went with.

I was kind of hoping I could just toss in some full synth of whatever viscosity is needed or whatever and call it a day. This is going to be a bit of a pain.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006

Larrymer posted:

I'm just running the basic castrol 502 spec from walmart for $20 for 5 qts and changing at 5k miles.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Warbird posted:

I was kind of hoping I could just toss in some full synth of whatever viscosity is needed or whatever and call it a day. This is going to be a bit of a pain.

the absolute easiest way is to buy an oil extractor like this schwaben oil extractor:

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-schwaben-parts/65-liter-fluid-extractor/011885sch01a/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLQROKWizb4

this is the oil i use:

https://www.amazon.com/Liqui-Moly-2332-Leichtlauf-Engine/dp/B00LIC29H6

supposedly the drain plug needs to be replaced every time you do the oil but the extractor takes care of that.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
apple maps overseas sucks and waze has speed cameras sooo

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

BraveUlysses posted:

the absolute easiest way is to buy an oil extractor like this schwaben oil extractor:

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-schwaben-parts/65-liter-fluid-extractor/011885sch01a/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLQROKWizb4

this is the oil i use:

https://www.amazon.com/Liqui-Moly-2332-Leichtlauf-Engine/dp/B00LIC29H6

supposedly the drain plug needs to be replaced every time you do the oil but the extractor takes care of that.

I swear to god you'll never climb underneath a car again once you've used a *good* oil extractor pump. They make life so much easier.

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran

I think the warning is set to come on when the car is a year old (from manufacture date). Mine came on after I'd had the car for only a few months and I watched a video on YouTube that showed how to reset it.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

I swear to god you'll never climb underneath a car again once you've used a *good* oil extractor pump. They make life so much easier.

Don't these extractor things end up allowing crud to build up in the pan over time? I mean I get that they're easier if you just want to get it done quickly, but I feel like it'd be a bad thing to use every time. Especially when doing it the "old fashioned way" isn't exactly rocket surgery. I consider my Fiesta a pain in the rear end to jack up compared to previous cars I've owned but it's still a <5 minute process from the moment I enter my garage until it's safely up on jackstands ready for me to climb under. If I had a set of low-profile ramps it'd be a matter of seconds.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
i'm not sure but i'd expect the oil filter to catch most of the crud in the system before i'd hope it just hangs out in the pan until it comes out the drain plug. :shrug:

and as fast as you think ramps/jackstands are, nothing comes close to using an extractor. not one second of laying on the ground, not one drip of oil spilled during draining or cleanup, no need to remove annoying underpanels, ect.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

WescottF1 posted:

I think the warning is set to come on when the car is a year old (from manufacture date). Mine came on after I'd had the car for only a few months and I watched a video on YouTube that showed how to reset it.

Ohhhh, okay. I'll have to look at the sticker later. I might just get it done anyway and then be done for another year.

edit: on second thought, it takes about 5 seconds to reset the indicator, and the oil looks good, so there we go.

a mysterious cloak fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Jun 5, 2018

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

BraveUlysses posted:

i'm not sure but i'd expect the oil filter to catch most of the crud in the system before i'd hope it just hangs out in the pan until it comes out the drain plug. :shrug:
I worked in a boat service shop for 7 years. 99.9% of all the inboard/outboard engines had their oil changes performed with extractors. Many of these (Mercruiser) are based around GM blocks. And yes, the oil filters remove all the dirt/crud* and it doesn't just build up in the oil pan. The only thing we typically saw in oil pans was pieces of the insides of the engine, and in those cases the engines were scrap/being rebuilt anyway. Send off samples to Blackstone if you're worried about your internals.

* with regular maintenance.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
Get an air compressor powered one

Warbird
May 23, 2012

This all sounds expensive. I can crawl on the ground and total my car by loving with the ramps for free.

Anti Plum
Sep 15, 2007
How do you deal with the filter if you aren’t jacking up the car?

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Anti Plum posted:

How do you deal with the filter if you aren’t jacking up the car?

:lol: look at this poor schlep without a top mount oil filter :smuggo:

Alternatively:

Oil... Filter? Next owners problem.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Warbird posted:

This all sounds expensive. I can crawl on the ground and total my car by loving with the ramps for free.

lol considering you were apparently paying quicklubes to do the work...what's 40-50 bucks spread over a few oil changes? trivial $ compared the amount of money we spend on gas or insurance.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Quicklubes on my 03 Jeep Liberty excuse you. The thing has been largely indestructible in my decade and change with it.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Should I bother getting a tune for the Focus ST? Aside from some rev hang and the stupid low gas pedal (Steeda covers are on order) I have zero complaints. I mean, about how it drives. The AC vents are kinda lousy, but that's not relevant.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
depends, do u like wheelspin

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...

Wrar posted:

Should I bother getting a tune for the Focus ST? Aside from some rev hang and the stupid low gas pedal (Steeda covers are on order) I have zero complaints. I mean, about how it drives. The AC vents are kinda lousy, but that's not relevant.

An AccessPort and a protune do some pretty hilarious things for that car. And yes, there will be wheel spin.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Wrar posted:

What tires do you have?

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Eagle F1 Assymetric 2s. It's mostly the wife's daily driver. Like i said, I'm pretty happy with the car aside from the aforementioned niggles. I'm used to Subarus where the tune is more of a requirement than an option.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
I have a stupid problem.

Anyone else with a fist losing the wheel center caps? i swear i have had 3 of em pop out of the front passenger side wheel and its slightly annoying. I mean its not a HUGE deal they aren't that expensive or anything, but i mean its just stupid.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
If it's just that one wheel then I'd assume something is off with that wheel where the caps connect. I've never had one come off of mine and honestly didn't even notice they came out until this most recent time I was changing from winter back to summer.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!
I’ve never lost one.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

sneakyfrog posted:

I have a stupid problem.

Anyone else with a fist losing the wheel center caps? i swear i have had 3 of em pop out of the front passenger side wheel and its slightly annoying. I mean its not a HUGE deal they aren't that expensive or anything, but i mean its just stupid.

My father lost like three off of his older shape Fiesta ST so it was an issue before they even sold them in the USA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Is the Fiesta ST airbox bottom portion the same as the non-ST ones? Also, anyone want to sell one? :v: