Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Why haven't the ferengi sold the alternate terak nor whatever it's called to the highest bidder yet?

Like theres a whole spare ds9 sitting in n space that's common knowledge, empty, and no one wants it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Kitchner posted:

Reading that Gene Roddenbury went all foaming at the mouth and hard in the pants while describing the Ferengi sexual prowess never gets old.

I really need to read more about Gene Roddenberry's batshit ideas

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

VictorianQueerLit posted:

Hello, I'm Gene Roddenberry and my original vision is that the Ferengi don't actually have penises because they are all actually giant penises. An entire race of interstellar penis men *snorting sounds*

well, not quite...

Iron Crowned posted:

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

McGiggins posted:

Why haven't the ferengi sold the alternate terak nor whatever it's called to the highest bidder yet?

Like theres a whole spare ds9 sitting in n space that's common knowledge, empty, and no one wants it?

Yeah, the design is trash and it’s apparently in the middle of nowhere, falling apart. Hell, nobody really wanted Terok Nor except that it already existed in orbit around Bajor, and it would have been impolitic for Starfleet to build one of those big mushroom starbases

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Moridin920 posted:

I like when Sisko compares the Ferengi to old Earth people and Quark is all gently caress you dude you were a bunch of mass murdering psychopaths we're nowhere near that bad.

ds9 owns every other trek thing so goddamn hard

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

e: beaten

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Even in little green men when theyre talking about using radiation from nuclear bombs Quark is like "they detonated fission bombs in their ATMOSPHERE?!?"

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

MA-Horus posted:

Even in little green men when theyre talking about using radiation from nuclear bombs Quark is like "they detonated fission bombs in their ATMOSPHERE?!?"

Don't forget their reaction to tobacco smoking.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Iron Crowned posted:

You know about the VOW OF CELIBACY ON RECORD line in TMP being because that race fucks people to insanity like some sexual opium den, right?
TMP's really less about becoming the singularity and merging with the infinite than it is getting some sweet otherworldly poon. Very fitting with Gene's vision.

Also all that telepathic IMZADI stuff that made it over to TNG's pilot.

The question is who would win in a smashfest between a Deltan and a Ferengi?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

FilthyImp posted:

You know about the VOW OF CELIBACY ON RECORD line in TMP being because that race fucks people to insanity like some sexual opium den, right?
TMP's really less about becoming the singularity and merging with the infinite than it is getting some sweet otherworldly poon. Very fitting with Gene's vision.

Also all that telepathic IMZADI stuff that made it over to TNG's pilot.

The question is who would win in a smashfest between a Deltan and a Ferengi?

The viewers

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
The TMP novelization goes into a lot more detail about Federation culture at that point, like how dudes like Kirk are cavemen assholes because they need to go out into space to wreck poo poo and all the "New Humans" just chill and do art and sex all day

I mean it sounds sort of up it's own rear end but it's almost too easy to make fun of people who aren't into it

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

Tighclops posted:

The TMP novelization goes into a lot more detail about Federation culture at that point, like how dudes like Kirk are cavemen assholes because they need to go out into space to wreck poo poo and all the "New Humans" just chill and do art and sex all day

I mean it sounds sort of up it's own rear end but it's almost too easy to make fun of people who aren't into it

Well that would kind of make sense. You can live in any environment you want, you can have any food or material item you want. You need no currency and are largely free from health concerns, disasters or whatever (except the ones used to create plot in the TV series) and will apparently live to be 100-120+. With a Holodeck you can recreate, relive and modify anything you can imagine in any way you can imagine.

If you choose to go get into phaser fights and starship battles all the time instead of just being a pure philosophical being then the pure philosophical beings are probably going to consider you savage because you choose to risk death to be in a military organization.

So there are probably billions of stuffy assholes claiming that the Shakespeare reading, classical concerto listening, extremely diplomatic Picard is actually a barbarian.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

With a Holodeck you can recreate, relive and modify anything you can imagine in any way you can imagine.
ToS era didnt have the Holodeck, and TNG made it seem like it was this brand loving new thing like a steam washer/dryer that only the flagship could have.

But FedTech is probably like Computers on roids and by the end of the second month HoloDek 7.5 was probably available for every civilian to have on their PADDs through an interface you placed on your temples.

Earth under the Federation is probably lile the worst parts of CineD and D&D smushed together.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
The Whale Probe was right

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
wubwubwubwubwubwubwub

wubwubwubwubwubwubwub

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Ds9 and Voyager visits Earth a few times and it seems quaint if anything. They got restaurants and cafes instead of just replicating poo poo.

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017
those are just hipsters that ~Want The Experience~

It's still pretentious because all restaurants are just restaurant themed theme restaurants

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Idk they still have people clean the bar and serve drinks all day, presumably for no pay. Maybe Star Trek is a lot more Brave New World than The Culture :tinfoil:

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017
they are tending bar and serving drinks ironically

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

They are genetic subhumans who are bred and raised to like to tend bar and serve drinks. They wouldn't imagine or settle for any other life.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Tighclops posted:

my recollection is that Starfleet largely consisted of people who were too drat stubborn to quit just because they were faced with fuckin' space-gods or ascended aliens or whatever, whereas your average Earther would either collapse in on themselves or immediately defect in the face of overwhelming superiority

naem
May 29, 2011

those are just hipsters that ~Want The Experience~
It's still pretentious because all restaurants are just restaurant themed theme restaurants

Colonel Cancer posted:

Idk they still have people clean the bar and serve drinks all day, presumably for no pay. Maybe Star Trek is a lot more Brave New World than The Culture :tinfoil:

they are tending bar and serving drinks ironically

The only currency left is hipster cred

there's a huge long line of people who want to wait tables and cook at that quaint little cafe and you have to network and collect and trade antiques from 2092 to even get a foot in the door

The hippest most status bearing federation citizen is weeding a grape patch in France, like a 15th century peasant, in wooden clogs and sack-cloth, eating only course whole grain bread beaked in a clay hearth. They make documentaries about him that people watch in between playing the trumpet and eating a banana split and having 5-dimensional-pan-specifies-holographic-Omni-orgies

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

my recollection is that Starfleet largely consisted of people who were too drat stubborn to quit just because they were faced with fuckin' space-gods or ascended aliens or whatever, whereas your average Earther would either collapse in on themselves or immediately defect in the face of overwhelming superiority

yeah youre right it was something like this, plus that weird little addendum where kirk is all "ok guys heh seriously spock and I are just friends"

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
everyone knows that if any of the main cast of st were banging it was mccoy and spock

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Colonel Cancer posted:

Maybe Star Trek is a lot more Brave New World than The Culture :tinfoil:

I'm glad I'm not a gamma quadrant.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

naem posted:

The only currency left is hipster cred

there's a huge long line of people who want to wait tables and cook at that quaint little cafe and you have to network and collect and trade antiques from 2092 to even get a foot in the door

The hippest most status bearing federation citizen is weeding a grape patch in France, like a 15th century peasant, in wooden clogs and sack-cloth, eating only course whole grain bread beaked in a clay hearth. They make documentaries about him that people watch in between playing the trumpet and eating a banana split and having 5-dimensional-pan-specifies-holographic-Omni-orgies

Oh gently caress I remember that guy.

Like you're not even joking im pretty sure thats an actual dude.

naem
May 29, 2011

McGiggins posted:

Oh gently caress I remember that guy.

Like you're not even joking im pretty sure thats an actual dude.

wait isn't it Picard's brother?? You're right

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Tighclops posted:

Well, it's sort of right/makes sense in a way. Most of the explorers, frontiersmen, and general society pushers have more or less been assholes.
There will always be a segment of the population that have the personality to push the envelope. They will cause strife and discomfort to the average, "gentel" type population.

So yeah, Kirk being a " Love to Drink, fight and gently caress! (also explore a bit)" would absolutely fly in the face of people who ....play the flute and discuss philosophical implications of the snail.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

everyone knows that if any of the main cast of st were banging it was mccoy and spock

Salty Josh
Jul 13, 2016

Sometimes there's so much beauty in the world, I feel like I can't take it, and my heart is just going to cave in.
Nap Ghost
I remember when Spock played that bad rear end doctor on Columbo.

What a show!

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

naem posted:

wait isn't it Picard's brother?? You're right

Yeah it's his brother. He used to be president of earth or some stupid thing so every time Picard needs to ground himself morally he goes home and drinks home grown wine with the hipster king.

And the very first episode hes in Picard is all "why dont you use the replicators or agrobots?" And the dude it all "that just ruins the ~experience~"

loving star trek invented hipsters.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Sounds like we need to reverse the weather control and sabotage the seismic regulators

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
I feel like this was recently posted but does anyone have the link to that bonkers YouTube video that starts out “last time on Star Trek” and has Data with the beard?

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Gazorra tng edits.

It's one of those

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
guys what if geordi was a huge rear end in a top hat to scotty because deep down he was jealous and afraid scotty would want to touch leah his enterprise

"when you touch the ship you're touching me, geordi (don't let anyone else touch me, or i'll kill you. i'll kill all of you!)"

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
scotty stumbles into the engine room late at night, drunk off his arse. he sees geordi leaned up facing against the warp core. geordi hastily fumbles his fly back up.

"why d'ye have your fly undone for in the engineering, laddy? y'e got a dilithium pussy in there?" geordi coughed and gulped. "hahaha, nice one, scotty..."

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

McGiggins posted:

Gazorra tng edits.

It's one of those

Many thanks I found it with that keyword

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

scotty stumbles into the engine room late at night, drunk off his arse. he sees geordi leaned up facing against the warp core. geordi hastily fumbles his fly back up.

"why d'ye have your fly undone for in the engineering, laddy? y'e got a dilithium pussy in there?" geordi coughed and gulped. "hahaha, nice one, scotty..."

Silly Geordi, that's what bio-neural gelpacks are for

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.
i like to think beetle snuff is more ferengi coke than ferengi snortable tobacco, since im pretty sure actual snuff (snortable powdered tobacco) only exists so headshops have a legal excuse to sell cool coke paraphernalia like those cool lil vacuum cleaner coke straws and "snuff bullets" and all that, which is a very ferengi style move in and of itself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Powered Descent posted:

Silly Geordi, that's what bio-neural gelpacks are for

Mindfuck