Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

The MSJ posted:

Them crawmommies even turn asari blue in captivity.

And that FBI agent probably wished he saved that trick for when he's cornered by terrorists or something.

Lol

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Tunicate posted:

Down's is a common way of referring to it, since it was discovered by Dr. Down. Just like Alzheimer's

It's no longer proper usage in US journalism or medical scholarship (Down Syndrome and Alzheimer Disease are preferred) but I have zero idea if that's the case in the U.K.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

AlbieQuirky posted:

It's no longer proper usage in US journalism or medical scholarship (Down Syndrome and Alzheimer Disease are preferred) but I have zero idea if that's the case in the U.K.

Yeah, the 's form is supposed to be used when the disease is named after someone who had it, like Lou Gehring's disease. When it's names of scientists they don't want the 's now. I think that's a relatively recent change

Jeffrey Dahmer
May 21, 2017

by Pragmatica
Muldoon
The proper name is Sun Children.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

I appreciate the BBC's classy and tasteful form of journalism.

"Down's."

LOL I mean check out these guys

https://www.downs-syndrome.org.uk/

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/downs-syndrome/

https://www.mencap.org.uk/learning-disability-explained/conditions/downs-syndrome

Do they not even know!

Aramoro has a new favorite as of 13:35 on Jun 4, 2018

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Fwiw they seem to have changed it to Down syndrome http://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-us-canada-44325048/the-first-washington-lobbyist-with-down-syndrome

On phone so no pic.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
Because I know you are all desperate to get a definitive answer, the BBC Style Guide says

quote:

Down’s syndrome
is the appropriate term (not ‘mongolism’). Cap ‘D’, lower case ‘s’.

And for good luck, the Guardian Style Guide

quote:

Down’s syndrome
say (if relevant) a baby with Down’s syndrome, not “a Down’s syndrome baby” – we wouldn’t say “a cerebral palsy baby”. The diagnosis is not the person

witha bonus:

quote:

doughnuts
despite Dunkin’ Donuts

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

spog posted:

despite Dunkin’ Donuts

Great title for a weight loss memoir.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

I mean - it's called Parkinson's disease, not Parkinson disease. Who on earth thinks Down's syndrome is a disrespectful term?

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Samovar posted:

I mean - it's called Parkinson's disease, not Parkinson disease. Who on earth thinks Down's syndrome is a disrespectful term?

The National Institutes of Health in the US in 1975 apparently. They changed the names of a bunch of things in the paper 'Classification and nomenclature of morphological defects' to remove the possessive apostrophe. Which is presumably by Parkinson's retained it's possessive apostrophe as it's not a morphological defect. Apparently it's stop confusing people who think that John Langdon Down had Down's Syndrome, not that he first described it. Like the guy above said, like Lou Gehring's is possessive because Lou Gehring is the guy who had it.

Aramoro has a new favorite as of 14:22 on Jun 4, 2018

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

spog posted:

And for good luck, the Guardian Style Guide

That would "Downne's sindrom" surely?

Anyway. The leader of the hard-right party in Germany got in trouble recently for trivialising the Holocaust:

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Chad gay, woah is me

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe
https://nypost.com/2018/05/17/lady-poops-on-restaurant-floor-flings-it-at-cashier/

We are literally no better than monkeys.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Guess they're just out of touch, like you.

https://www.ndss.org/about-down-syndrome/down-syndrome/

quote:

NDSS uses the preferred spelling, Down syndrome, rather than Down’s syndrome.

quote:

Down syndrome is named for the English physician John Langdon Down, who characterized the condition, but did not have it. An “apostrophe s” connotes ownership or possession.

quote:

While Down syndrome is listed in many dictionaries with both popular spellings (with or without an apostrophe s), the preferred usage in the United States is Down syndrome. The AP Stylebook recommends using “Down syndrome,” as well.

quote:

Instead of “a Down syndrome child,” it should be “a child with Down syndrome.” Also avoid “Down’s child” and describing the condition as “Down’s,” as in, “He has Down’s.”

http://www.dsagc.com/_dsagc/assets/File/2013-Down-Syndrome-Language-Guidelines(6).pdf

quote:

A baby born with Down syndrome is not a "Down's baby" or a "baby with Downs." He/she is a baby with Down syndrome

quote:

Words can create barriers and reinforce stereotypes. Therefore, the DSAGC strongly believes in the importance of ensuring that correct language is used. A child is much more than a label. Help to educate others about the preferred way to refer to individuals with Down syndrome.

https://dsawm.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/How-Do-I-Talk-About-Down-Syndrome.pdf

quote:

The correct name of this diagnosis is Down syndrome... not “ Downs” or “ Down’s” . The “s” in syndrome is not capitalized (syndrome). It is named for John Langdon Down, the 19th century physician who first classified the condition. It is also acceptable to refer to Down syndrome as Trisomy 21. This is a technical term used because Down syndrome is caused by the triplication (trisomy) of the 21st chromosome. Down syndrome is the most commonly used name.

http://www.nads.org/about-us/history-of-nads/

quote:

Therefore in 1972 when a decision to remove what became known as the “M” word from our name and materials, the organization changed its name to National Association for Down’s Syndrome. (The apostrophe s in Down’s was officially dropped in the early 1980’s.)

Don't worry, your cousins across the pond will be here and ready to accept you when you grow up.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

hehehe, nads

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

For a few moments she experienced nirvana as she achieved the monkey goal of complete freedom.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Byzantine posted:

hehehe, nads

It is a sort of unfortunate acronym.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Congressional Candidate In Virginia Admits He’s A Pedophile

quote:

“A lot of people are tired of political correctness and being constrained by it,” he said. “People prefer when there’s an outsider who doesn’t have anything to lose and is willing to say what’s on a lot of people’s minds.”

When asked whether he’s a pedophile or just writes about pedophilia, he said, “It’s a mix of both. When people go over the top there’s a grain of truth to what they say.”

Asked whether there was a “grain of truth” in his essay about father-daughter incest and another about raping his ex-wife repeatedly, he said yes, offering that plenty of women have rape fantasies.

Redczar
Nov 9, 2011

Man buys cellphone with 58 kilos of avocados

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

drat Chilennials

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Well, I do agree that referring to a person with Down/Down's sydrome/Trisomy 21 as 'a Down's child' is pretty unpleasant. But it does seem a bit odd; especially with the example I gave earlier re. Parkinson's disease - i.e. James Parkinson was the first to classify it, not the first recorded case of it. In fact, why would it particularly matter one way or the other if people thought it was named after the first sufferer of the disease/syndrome/disorder as opposed to who discovered it?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I wonder if there are any people out there with Downs Syndrome named Debbie.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I wonder if there are any people out there with Downs Syndrome named Debbie.

And do they live in Dallas?

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Guess they're just out of touch, like you.

Don't worry, your cousins across the pond will be here and ready to accept you when you grow up.

Sorry your Yankie doctors appear to be too stupid to not be confused by the fact that John Langon Down didn't have Down's Syndrome I guess.

The nomenclature for Parkinson's also doesn't officially have the possessive apostrophe, as with Alzheimer's and Asperger's in the US.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
We're arguing over apostrophe's.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

And some people still argue that the business studies are "at least as difficult as engineering".

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

The part I'm having trouble believing is that a college student paid for coffee using cash.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Aramoro posted:

Sorry your Yankie doctors appear to be too stupid to not be confused by the fact that John Langon Down didn't have Down's Syndrome I guess.

The nomenclature for Parkinson's also doesn't officially have the possessive apostrophe, as with Alzheimer's and Asperger's in the US.

It’s not the people who are NOT using the apostrophe who sre confused.

As for the others, do sway with their spostrophes, too.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
It's fine to want to define a way to spell it, but why would you actually care enough to point out the "wrong" usage? Especially if it's just one organization that disagrees with the apostrophe rule?
Hell, why would you give enough of a gently caress to look at a BBC article and go "wow they used the apostrophe how classy and tasteful"? There's no difference in tone whatsoever

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug

It’s not the people who are NOT using the apostrophe who sre confused.

As for the others, do sway with their spostrophes, too.

Please show us on the doll where the spostrophe didn't not touch you.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

GrossMurpel posted:

It's fine to want to define a way to spell it, but why would you actually care enough to point out the "wrong" usage?

I literally do not understand this question. Why would someone point something out on the internet?

GrossMurpel posted:

Especially if it's just one organization that disagrees with the apostrophe rule?
Hell, why would you give enough of a gently caress to look at a BBC article and go "wow they used the apostrophe how classy and tasteful"?

I guess you just didn't see the article directly above the Down Syndrome one that shows a picture of a little girl, and glibly mentions children drowning in toilets. I wonder if that had anything to do with my comment. Probably not, huh?

GrossMurpel posted:

There's no difference in tone whatsoever

Yes, there is, or there wouldn't be literally dozens of advocacy groups saying, "Don't use the apostrophe."

Dachshundofdoom posted:

Please show us on the doll where the spostrophe didn't not touch you.

I bought it dinner, and carried its printer. It owed me.

I'd like to point out that I said "Down's," once, then someone else had a mini-meltdown, and then I copy/pasted a few paragraphs from advocacy groups. I care about the apostrophe, because I have a personal connection to Down Syndrome advocacy, but I cared just exactly enough to point out that it sounded kind of lovely. The source of any drama after I posted one word under a picture is not me.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
Look, my sister has Down Syndrome, and while I deeply appreciate the work you do as an advocate, nobody cares about the drat apostrophe. Obviously it has significance scientifically and I'm all in favor of making the implications of nomenclature clear, but to your average person it is entirely irrelevant whether it's Down, Downs, or Down's. The same meaning is communicated either way. Please devote your energies to actually relevant issues like employment opportunities and health care for people with Down Syndrome instead of slapfighting over poo poo like apostrophes and disabled/differently abled/impaired/whatever the word of the week is.

And pretending you didn't start this with snippy poo poo like "Guess they're just out of touch, like you" and "Don't worry, your cousins across the pond will be here and ready to accept you when you grow up" is just loving disingenuous. Some random idiot making fun of you is no excuse for perpetuating this dumbass derail with deliberately inflammatory remarks.

To get us back on topic: There’s no evidence that sex robots provide health benefits

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
If Veni Vidi Ameche!'s dad had had a sex bot I'd be feeling much healthier right now.

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

that's it, i'm going full luddite

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

This article is actually slightly more :stonk: than I was expecting. I was imagining he’d be one of those creepy fake-nice NAMBLA types who tries to put a smiley face on abuse, but nope, open advocacy of brutal child rape all the way.

Sure seem to be a lot of public figures openly advertising their credentials as sociopathic, abusive dickbags at the moment.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

"I mean hey! all of congress are probably pedos anyway*, at least he's honest about it! He's got my vote!"

*with literally 0 evidence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Great crediting!