Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Fojar38 posted:

This is to counterbalance the D&D thread where the Tienanmen Massacre was hard men making hard choices

https://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/03/world/asia/tiananmen-square-25-years-later-details-emerge-of-armys-chaos.html

this is a good insight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

Magna Kaser posted:

Food and stuff. China has way better delivery services than the west and has for some time, but there are some that target the "can't read chinese and scared of google translate" crowd and charge accordingly.

Like Eleme or Meituan, the two big Chinese apps, generally charge between ¥2-¥10 for delivery, but the ones catering to expats like Sherpas start at ¥20-¥25 and go higher for all sorts of random reasons. I've also sometimes seen the food is straight up more expensive on Sherpas than Meituan or Eleme, so the restaurants are getting in on it to.

The same thing for this site called Baopals which is basically a site you pay some people to order from Taobao for you if you're scared of doing it yourself/have no Chinese friends or coworkers to teach you where the "check out" button is on the page. I'm not sure how well that one does, though.

e: I looked it up and they're doing pretty well. Looks like for the time being it's a pretty decent business model.

Middlemanning any business in China seems to be how the government makes ends meet, or is that just my hot take on foreign relations?

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

"I think you could better spend your time on finishing your editing before the deadline today."
\
:backtowork:
Simple History animation about the Battle of Hong Kong is good if you don't know much about it.

https://youtu.be/hzAo3oGX5To

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Does anything of note happen around the Tiananmen square anniversary? Like crackdowns etc

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

underage at the vape shop posted:

Does anything of note happen around the Tiananmen square anniversary? Like crackdowns etc

Anniversary of what? What are you talking about?

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Anniversary of what? What are you talking about?

the time the government dumped all that marinara sauce into the sewers

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010

Survivors, dissidents, and family of survivors and dissidents get put under increased surveillance or house arrest. Internet censorship increases, the latest I heard was that you're not allowed to transfer money in the amount of 64.89 and 89.64 on wechat. And of course the paid for commenters and shills on foreign media website put in extra effort.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://www.gettyimages.co.uk/photos/tiananmen-1989?sort=mostpopular&mediatype=photography&phrase=tiananmen%201989

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Taiwan had a air raid drill in Taipei lol

Maybe a just a "coincidence"

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Lot of stuff gets censored and my internet connection has been utter poo poo for a few days, which made sense once I noticed it was Nothing Happened Day.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

LimburgLimbo posted:

Taiwan had a air raid drill in Taipei lol

Maybe a just a "coincidence"

Every year there are air raid drills this week. There is going to be one today in the south. I'm on a field trip with students to Kenting, and we were told we need to get on the highway before 1 or else we will be stopped and need to spend an hour on the side if the road. Taichung's is on Thursday I believe, maybe tomorrow.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
Is sucking teeth specifically a Chinese thing? Is it like “tsk”ing? Or is it drawing air in through your front teeth?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

No. That's a huge Japan thing and also big in Korea. It means "I don't want to do this/I want to say no but I'm too trapped in my passive-aggressive culture so I'm just going to suck my teeth and sit here motionless". I've never encountered it in China.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Coolguye posted:

yeah to be clear what i said earlier talks about people working in china as something OTHER than an english teacher. working by being an english teacher is an entirely different thing and has to be considered in the lens of why china specifically a lot differently. going over to china to pursue manufacturing, management, legal, etc opportunities are pretty tightly tied to stuff unique in the chinese economy, whereas teaching english is pretty much the same hell job anywhere in asia. you may as well go to japan or korea and at least not get heavy metal poisoning for stepping outside for 15 minutes.

Teaching English in China is not a way to make money if you are working at a private kindergarten, a public school, or even a university (although the latter is better obviously). The under-the-table tutoring though can net you some impressive cash if you know how to go about it and can find a rich person or their kid to talk slowly to. Here are the rates that I remember back in 2009/10 for private classes. (cut rates by nearly half if you are not white)

No degree: $20-50 an hour.
BA degree: $40-60 an hour.
Masters degree: $60-80 an hour.
MBA degree: up to $100 an hour. (if you can swing bigwigs who want to improve their English before going to the west)

I was making ~$50 an hour (about 10 hours a week) teaching a kid who was going to go to a US private high school then university. I had to do some haggling with his father who made the mistake of bragging about how much he made, and offered me a pack of $100 cigarettes for free. I worked the angle that he needed an actual qualified teacher to prepare him for western schools, and it worked. If I were to go back to China I would print out a convincing MBA from an Ivy league school in the states and just spout buss-words from "Wallstreet" and other high-finance movies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGHd2bPn4ZU&t=58s

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

holy poo poo

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Please don't post my diary.

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
Reminds me of the Idiot abroad ep where the bus driver deliberately hams it up to make Karl dry retch

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Grand Fromage posted:

Please don't post my diary.

Congrats on having your diary nominated for the James Beard Award for Writing.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
lmao at the umbrella and blocking the 89.64/64.89 payments. Thats pathetic. I didn't know what to expect but that's exactly what I should have.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Last night Victoria Park

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme
Chicken feet are good, but not as good as pigs' feet

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
hey haier

your thoughts?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9gCRzQH6vI

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

Darkest Auer posted:

Chicken feet are good, but not as good as pigs' feet

Does anybody have any good recipes? The last time I tried making pigs feet they turned out not so well. I still have a few in my freezer I need to use up.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

I thought foreigners were taking ALL the women?

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
Watching anyone from anywhere gnaw on any kind of foot is unpleasant, unless you're into that sort of thing.

*sweatily GISes "aiyi sexy foot chomp"*

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

lol these two incels spent 20 mins filming a very exciting self-own

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Your clothes... give them to me, now.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT

Those comments. Yikes

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Can't watch at work. A summary?

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
two weird chinaphiles bum around china on motorbikes talking about their weird nerd chinese hobies.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
All the related videos to that are so goddamn cringey jesus

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
Chicken feet aren't gross, they're just flavorless.

Foreigners date "ugly" Chinese women because we like non-stick people. I'm assuming that's the point in the video?

Khorne
May 1, 2002

nickmeister posted:

Chicken feet aren't gross, they're just flavorless.

Foreigners date "ugly" Chinese women because we like non-stick people. I'm assuming that's the point in the video?
They also pointed out they tend to have straight black hair, different eyes, and the women interested in them in China aren't fat. Real stunning observations from that dynamic duo.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Blistex posted:

Teaching English in China is not a way to make money if you are working at a private kindergarten, a public school, or even a university (although the latter is better obviously). The under-the-table tutoring though can net you some impressive cash if you know how to go about it and can find a rich person or their kid to talk slowly to. Here are the rates that I remember back in 2009/10 for private classes. (cut rates by nearly half if you are not white)

No degree: $20-50 an hour.
BA degree: $40-60 an hour.
Masters degree: $60-80 an hour.
MBA degree: up to $100 an hour. (if you can swing bigwigs who want to improve their English before going to the west)

Does that $100 an hour rate still apply if I got my MBA/PhD of English Teaching from The University of Google Search 'PhD certificate' Right Click Copy Open Microsoft Word Paste Insert Name Export .pdf?

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
No you see these dark skin girls? They're actually attractive and these chinese just can't see it.

You see this ugly blonde guy? Same thing, they think he's good looking!

haha so silly these chinese!

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Grand Fromage posted:

No. That's a huge Japan thing and also big in Korea. It means "I don't want to do this/I want to say no but I'm too trapped in my passive-aggressive culture so I'm just going to suck my teeth and sit here motionless". I've never encountered it in China.

yasss save me white man from my passive aggressive culture

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
You okay, MM?

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Modest Mao posted:

No you see these dark skin girls? They're actually attractive and these chinese just can't see it.

You see this ugly blonde guy? Same thing, they think he's good looking!

haha so silly these chinese!

That's all true though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Top Hats Monthly posted:

Those comments. Yikes

lmao "Until they found out she was divorced, what a leftover woman"

• Locked thread