Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Kameh posted:

Shot +2 74.

16 of 18 GIR.

2 birdies against 4 bogeys.

37 putts.

All 4 bogeys and a par on a par 5 were 3 putts.

Somebody hold me.

Dammit man, get a hold of yourself.

Seriously, that sucks. Playing out of your loving mind but not putting well. Or, did you putt well, but just left yourself lots of extremely long putts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

David wanted you to have this.
I mean I wanna be helpful but that’s an amazing round I’d be thrilled to have? So conflicted

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

Wish I was good enough to three putt my way to a 74

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION
I did hit the ball well. It wasn't anything very flashy; I hit 10/14 fairways with only the last miss off the 18th tee not giving me a straight shot at the green. I hooked a 4i from 200 to the left center of the green, pin high, maybe 40 feet away from an extremely tucked pin on the right.

Left my birdie putt 10 feet short, lipped out the par putt.

These greens are heavily contoured, but I've putted them well before. They were slower than I expected, so that messed with me for sure. For most of the day, I wasn't just barely catching a piece of the green and leaving myself extremely long putts. I was leaving putts 5-6 feet short or long from inside 20 feet. My lines were good, but I couldn't find the distance to save my round.

I've got a scramble on a different course on Thursday, so I should be able to help with at least the ball striking if nothing else changes.

Kameh fucked around with this message at 02:02 on May 29, 2018

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Was up in Tennessee last week and got to play one of my favorite courses while up there, well ok, the only course I've played while up there lol

Also, this is what happens when a course doesn't have a driving range to warm up on, I got lucky on the first hole, it's probably 60-70' downhill so I hit a nice easy 3 wood and had a wedge in and stuck it close. Then everything fell apart for a few holes until I got warmed up properly. :(

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

My home course doesn’t have a range so I always try to jump out and play a couple holes before league/tournament rounds. Last week it backfired though when I played for an hour and then sat outside the clubhouse for 2.5 hours waiting on one of our opponents to show up. First time I’ve shot 9 over through 9 holes in probably two years, I’m still upset about that.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

Summit posted:

I mean I wanna be helpful but that’s an amazing round I’d be thrilled to have? So conflicted

My best round ever I had a single 3 putt bogey and I'm still annoyed by it 2 years later. We golfers sure are strange.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Kameh cursed me. 3 putted the first three holes for bogeys. 6 over after 9, just uninspiring short game. Then, on the 9th hole, a bird poo poo down my collar. Had to take off the shirt and scrub it and me down with a towel. Shot 3 over on the back, with some steady putting and a stable short game.

Guy i was playing with was a good fit. Had one bad habit: He never let an errant shot go without loooking for the ball, and he was not great at judging distance. We had several holes we played multiple balls, with different clubs from the tee, etc... He would spend 5 minutes looking for a ball not in play.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

I had my second lesson ever yesterday, and although the pro put a lot of swing thoughts in my head while I was there, it was great. I hadn't seen a video of my swing in quite a while and I was really doing too much with my arms and not enough with my body. I went out today and practiced a few things on the course and ended up gaining quite a bit of distance with every club; my 4 hybrid typically carries 200 and I flew it 225 on three consecutive swings. I still get a little quick with my hands sometimes and hit a big pull but that should happen less often as I keep working on it. I really wish I had access to a good launch monitor though so I could get a feel for my distances, there's a lot of indecision right now and it will take a while to adjust.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

US Women's Open is going on. Delayed start due to weather so Fox is unable to show baseball, plus it's being aired without any commercials, which means Fox is losing a ton of money.

Looks like Holly got some collagen and a nosejob:

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Tiger 5 strokes back, in the 4th group on Sunday. Tied for 7th.

If he can start to play well in the 1st round, he might start winning again.

He could still win, of course.

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

Its getting closer but yeah hes still not putting 4 rounds together.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

If his putting was a tiny bit better today he’d be several shots lower. I still don’t think he’ll ever be as clutch as he was though.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION
This is a little different because he was +4 through 7 and then became the best ball striker in the field. His putting is the only thing standing in his way of winning. If he figures out something tonight, he may pull it off, but he's going to need a lot of help.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Is there some kind of expected bad weather for tomorrow at Muirfield? Why is everyone off the tee by 9:30 AM? At least everything will maybe be wrapped up by like 3?

https://www.pgatour.com/tournaments/the-memorial-tournament-presented-by-nationwide/tee-times.html

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Boco_T posted:

Is there some kind of expected bad weather for tomorrow at Muirfield? Why is everyone off the tee by 9:30 AM? At least everything will maybe be wrapped up by like 3?

https://www.pgatour.com/tournaments/the-memorial-tournament-presented-by-nationwide/tee-times.html

Yep but then it didn't really materialize I think. So now it's in a three way playoff poo poo show (that's a brutal 18th).

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
So I was snap hooking the ball badly on the Driving range with my driver and hybrids last week. Monte to the rescue:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2y-0Xe7wYJc

The solution? Try to hook the ball even more. Worked perfectly and immediately. According to Monte, this is because a snap hook is caused when your face is so open that you body reacts to save your shot.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

daslog posted:

The solution? Try to hook the ball even more. Worked perfectly and immediately. According to Monte, this is because a snap hook is caused when your face is so open that you body reacts to save your shot.

When I hit a hook it's because I'm slightly over the top (out to in swing path), good hip rotation and a flip/early release through impact. When I go for lessons the Pro is primarily working on my club path, this is the hardest part to fix but it sets the foundation for consistency. Using the swing monitor it shows my swing path being -1 or -2. This is down from -6 or higher when I started. You really need an expert to analyse your individual swing and apply the appropriate fix. For me it was a feeling if swinging out to the right through impact.

All he then tells me is to try and keep my wrists quiet and have my trailing hand palm facing the target through impact. Doing this means I can't flip or over rotate the arms before hitting the ball. The body is responsible for squaring up the face of the club with good hip rotation.

Halo14 fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Jun 5, 2018

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
I had one of my best rounds in years last week. I played a course in Somerset, WI called St. Croix National. It's a bit of a wonky course, LOTS of elevation change, a few 'target golf' holes, and a lot of trees. It's a fun course though, it's in fantastic shape and there's never anyone on it.

Bogeyed the last two holes to shoot 76
10/14 fairways (this is the most fairways I've hit in a long time)
9/18 GIR (a couple on the fringe, and some really close misses)
6/9 up and down
30 putts

No penalty strokes.

What a fun round, I've been a much better ball striker this year than....ever. I finally had a round where I didn't put myself in trouble off the tee, amazing what a difference that makes. I seriously had SEVEN birdie putts under 20 feet and just couldn't get any to drop, when I hit the green I generally was close to the hole. Hit pretty good putts all round, just nothing of any length fell.

Excited to play again soon, of course I'll probably suck, but confidence is growing!

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
5 over through 5, finally get over pace of play issues and 2 over through next 14. If you hit big pulls on every shot, maybe stop lining up down the middle? I probably found the guys ball 15 times in 9 holes (he only played the front).

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
Had an opportunity for a pretty great round at league tonight and just totally botched it.

Even through 6, 2 birdies, 2 pars, 2 bogeys(including a bogey save after an OB tee shot).

Hit the green on the 7th hole, 20 feet under the hole in perfect position. Yip my first putt like 8 feet past the hole, lip out my par putt and make bogey. :suicide:.

That's okay, the 8th is a short par 4 and the 9th is a short par 5.

Hit an absolutely perfect 4 hybrid off the tee on 8, 40 yards from the green. This is a nasty green though, it slopes REALLY severely from back to front. Tell myself to make sure I leave my pitch under the hole, I'd rather be 30 foot short than 8 feet long. Hit a pretty good pitch that looks like it's going to ride the slope close to the hole but unexpectedly stops above the hole, 8 feet away. Hit the putt as softly as I possibly could, lips out and rolls 8 feet under the hole. Lip out my par putt for a 3 putt bogey. :suicide:

Hit a terrible tee shot on the 9th hole, but hit a really good punch hook recovery to leave myself 130 to the pin. I underestimate the wind in my face and come up about 50 feet short. Leave my first putt 5 feet short, misread the putt and lip out my par putt.

:suicide::suicide::suicide::suicide::suicide::suicide::suicide::suicide::suicide::suicide::suicide:

tldr: even after 6, three consecutive 3-putts to end my round with 4 lip outs to shoot 39.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

I hit 8/9 greens Monday night and had five birdie putts of 5-10 feet. Only made one of them. That one was on the hardest hole on the course though so it held up for a skin but drat. Should have been under par, instead was a few over thanks to a hooked hybrid going OB on a long par three.

Playing the same holes in my league tonight and it should be playing soft again so I want at least 2 birdies.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Suprfli6 posted:

I hit 8/9 greens Monday night and had five birdie putts of 5-10 feet. Only made one of them. That one was on the hardest hole on the course though so it held up for a skin but drat. Should have been under par, instead was a few over thanks to a hooked hybrid going OB on a long par three.

Playing the same holes in my league tonight and it should be playing soft again so I want at least 2 birdies.

My back nine yesterday had back to back birdies, but one was a 3 inch tap in on a par 3, one was a 6 incher after a long uphill eagle try. I made one putt longer than 6 feet all day. Lots of birdie looks on the back, but no joy putting.

zinc68
Apr 26, 2010

DoctaFun posted:

I had one of my best rounds in years last week. I played a course in Somerset, WI called St. Croix National. It's a bit of a wonky course, LOTS of elevation change, a few 'target golf' holes, and a lot of trees. It's a fun course though, it's in fantastic shape and there's never anyone on it.

Bogeyed the last two holes to shoot 76
10/14 fairways (this is the most fairways I've hit in a long time)
9/18 GIR (a couple on the fringe, and some really close misses)
6/9 up and down
30 putts

No penalty strokes.

What a fun round, I've been a much better ball striker this year than....ever. I finally had a round where I didn't put myself in trouble off the tee, amazing what a difference that makes. I seriously had SEVEN birdie putts under 20 feet and just couldn't get any to drop, when I hit the green I generally was close to the hole. Hit pretty good putts all round, just nothing of any length fell.

Excited to play again soon, of course I'll probably suck, but confidence is growing!

Thats really good for that course! So many blind / partial blind shots! I played it two weeks ago and agree, always in great shape! Too bad they force people to use carts since it is built on the old ski hill.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

zinc68 posted:

Thats really good for that course! So many blind / partial blind shots! I played it two weeks ago and agree, always in great shape! Too bad they force people to use carts since it is built on the old ski hill.

That's the best I've ever shot there, and I've played there a fair amount. I need to move back to the back tees though, playing the blues means I hit my 3i off the tee a lot. I guess I could hit more drivers if I could play a big reliable draw, but that's just not the case.

You are a beast if you want to walk that course, I don't think I'd enjoy that, especially once it gets humid.

This is the best shape I've seen it in awhile. Let me know if you head up there again, I live over in Mahtomedi so it's not a bad drive at all for me. We could meet up for a round.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Finally had a good round on Monday. And by good round, I mean my best round ever in the league. My putting was keyed in on the last five holes. Four putts at 20 feet or more. Drained two of them and put the other two within a foot of the cup. Took ten of twelve points. Shortening my backswing has been a significant improvement. Feeling good.

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

Starting to really really hate scrambles. I have played in more work-related charity scrambles (4) than normal rounds (3) this year.

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug
My putter has been fire the last couple 9 hole rounds I've played which is great, but my swing has felt really bad and I've wasted two 14 putt outings with spraying teeshots all over the place and thinning/topping the ball way more than I'm used to. My shots have been getting thinner and thinner over the last month and now it's definitely something I'm thinking about prior to taking a swing which I'm sure isn't good. Time to get a lesson it seems.

Golf.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION

ironlung posted:

Starting to really really hate scrambles. I have played in more work-related charity scrambles (4) than normal rounds (3) this year.

I feel the same. I played in one at the end of May on perhaps the worst greens I've EVER played on, and I paid almost double what I'd normally pay to play at this course (for no good charitable cause, I might add), and we barely managed a 68 (2 putt birdies on 3 par 5s and an up-and-down on a driveable par 4).

Winning score was 58. There's no way in hell. 5 hour round to lose by 10.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
Same. It's charity scramble season here and last week was some ESPN tournament at a tough course. Played with 3 other near-scratch players.

We played our eyeballs out and shot -16, only to come in 2nd by 3.

No mulligans, no "let the long drive dude hit a 400y tee shot for you for $100", no other bullshit, and some scrub looking dudes shot 19 under? Sure.

At least the swag at these things is good.

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

This is the best videogame
I have ever played!
Yeah similar experience a few weeks ago, 4-man team shot 58 and putted lights out all day and we finished 3rd lol

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

:siren: U.S. Open thread is up! https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3859750 :siren:

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

Homestar Runner posted:

Yeah similar experience a few weeks ago, 4-man team shot 58 and putted lights out all day and we finished 3rd lol

BCRock posted:

Same. It's charity scramble season here and last week was some ESPN tournament at a tough course. Played with 3 other near-scratch players.

We played our eyeballs out and shot -16, only to come in 2nd by 3.

No mulligans, no "let the long drive dude hit a 400y tee shot for you for $100", no other bullshit, and some scrub looking dudes shot 19 under? Sure.

At least the swag at these things is good.

Kameh posted:

I feel the same. I played in one at the end of May on perhaps the worst greens I've EVER played on, and I paid almost double what I'd normally pay to play at this course (for no good charitable cause, I might add), and we barely managed a 68 (2 putt birdies on 3 par 5s and an up-and-down on a driveable par 4).

Winning score was 58. There's no way in hell. 5 hour round to lose by 10.

Scrambles are basically the worst, especially charity ones. I will never play in one again if I am expected to foot the bill for myself. I think I posted here about my last experience in one a year ago or so. The 18th was the "long drive" hole, I mashed the poo poo out of the power boost button and creamed a drive, perfect draw around the bend, ball ended up maybe 10 feet off the front side of the green. ~330+ yard drive all said and done. Easily had the longest by probably 40 yards. The prize was 4 round vouchers at a local TPC course. During the "awards" they called my name out for the victory and the guy sponsoring the prize decided since I had won he would rather give it to the only all woman group that played, so I got my choice between a crappy corona baggo set or a corona beach umbrella. In front of ~50 people there I told them that was kind of BS, took the baggo set and threw it in the garbage can. Thing was better off in the garbage anyway.

We came in 3rd place overall that day. We shot a 60 (12 under) the winning group (a 13 year old, his grandfather, a man with a limp and a 10 handicapper) carded a 56....a fucken 56 and no one questioned it. I also got closest to pin that day and they didn't even have a prize for it.

On a brighter note, I played in a 4 man best ball yesterday with a buddy of mine and some dudes he knows from work. They were all 5-6 handicaps, my buddy used to play to a +1, but hasn't played in a few years because life so he decided to roll as a 5 and myself, last year I was about a 3.5 and after ~5 months off My consistency is wrecked so they all just kinda marked me as a 10 handicap and went on with it. Shot a lights out 76... had a triple and and double and a birdie. The other group of "5 handicappers" didn't shoot better than 86 between them. Edit: Also won $40 off them, so that's a bonus.

thebushcommander fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Jun 11, 2018

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

It seems like the nicer the course, the more cheating goes on in scrambles. Or at least that’s been the case in the ones I’ve played in. Out of like 20 I’ve played at my home course there’s only one winning team I am pretty sure was cheating, but my course is a cheap rural one with a pretty tight-knit member base. I played in one yesterday and took second with a score of -9, in a tournament with 25 teams, and it only took 4 hours.

Any time I’ve played in ones at the more exclusive courses in the area, I’ve personally witnessed cheating and seen numerous people get called out for shenanigans with the long drive sheet or winning scores. I tend to only play in those ones now if somebody I know is involved in the tournament or something.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Suprfli6 posted:

It seems like the nicer the course, the more cheating goes on in scrambles. Or at least that’s been the case in the ones I’ve played in. Out of like 20 I’ve played at my home course there’s only one winning team I am pretty sure was cheating, but my course is a cheap rural one with a pretty tight-knit member base. I played in one yesterday and took second with a score of -9, in a tournament with 25 teams, and it only took 4 hours.

Any time I’ve played in ones at the more exclusive courses in the area, I’ve personally witnessed cheating and seen numerous people get called out for shenanigans with the long drive sheet or winning scores. I tend to only play in those ones now if somebody I know is involved in the tournament or something.

Rich people don't get where they are by being nice

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
How usual has music on the course become? The two ball i played with yesterday played country music, loud, from a bluetooth speaker. It's the third time in a year or so I've run into it. It's like they didn't consider the impact on me. They also only stopped their running conversation for each others shots. That no longer bugs me, it becomes just background noise, but pretty loud music is bizarre to me. I just never thought I'd see it when you're playing with strangers.

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug
I had people blasting two different conservative talk radio shows on separate speakers when I played through a couple weeks back. Was honestly pretty annoying and I can't imagine playing well or enjoying myself if I was surrounded by a bunch of loud arguing for an entire round.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I'll play music, but only if I'm in a foursome with friends that I know don't mind it. That's really the only time it's ok to do something like that on a golf course.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

My rule is you can play whatever you want on a Bluetooth, but I get to spend the entire round loudly telling you why you have lovely taste.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Played the Pebble Beach round I have been waiting for all year on Monday. It was fun - especially since it was my first time playing there and especially because it was free. It was very windy and I completely butchered the first few holes and took 4 penalties and blew out a 49 on the front but rallied for a 42 on the back (I'm up to 13 hcp now so that is good for me.) Bogeyed 16/17/18.....meh - but at least no 3 putts all day. The greens were perfect speed but very hard to read - as advertised. The caddies know them well though, obviously and helped a ton. The bunkers are no joke and perfectly placed to catch even very good tee shots and especially on approaches to the smallish greens - I was in 10 bunkers and they are deeper than you'd think. A can of beer was $9, lol.

We did not take bluetooth speakers.