Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

I have no idea what I'm doing.

I'm imaging projects being lost cause you gotta pay for anything more than 100mb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Plorkyeran posted:

Writing to a pipe is not materially different perf-wise than writing to a temporary file. The temporary file typically will not actually hit disk, and the main overhead is just creating the fs entry, which will be dwarfed by the time spent actually compiling the file.

Ask me about trying to figure out why an entire gpfs cluster began running super slow whenever 1 user application has been running for awhile :suicide:

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Nude posted:

I'm imaging projects being lost cause you gotta pay for anything more than 100mb.

Think what you will of Microsoft but they're unlikely to somehow leverage an acquisition of Github into corrupting Junio Hamano to the dark side and changing the behavior of git itself. If a Github project is used enough that someone has bothered to clone it then it'll still be trivially easy to push that clone to some other remote. What's realistically at risk of being lost in case of catastrophic Github failure or stupidity are things like issue tracking and pull requests, not so much source code. Losing those things would certainly be annoying for the project in question, but probably not cataclysmic.

If the acquisition happens and Microsoft does do something stupid and open source unfriendly -- which is certainly possible -- then the realistic worst case scenario is that while Github slowly gets absorbed into the Visual Studio ecosystem, Gitlab/Bitbucket/whatever compete for the best transition and import tools and poo poo just quietly moves over. Realistically I'd expect the main impact it'll have on typical github users will be direct support for Microsoft-y things like Git Virtual File System and Visual Studio Team Services, plus maybe a Microsoft-friendly site redesign. Their goal with something like this is at least in part to get open source software devs to write useful things on and for windows, not bully them for their piddly lunch money or otherwise drive them away to other platforms.

Microsoft has 1835 open source repositories on github, they have an interest in not loving it up. There's certainly a lot of potential for them loving it up anyhow but that will be years down the road, not overnight.

LOOK I AM A TURTLE
May 22, 2003

"I'm actually a tortoise."
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, if Microsoft fucks up GitHub it will be due to incompetence, not maliciousness. Microsoft is almost excessively invested in open source now, to the point where it feels like they're driven by guilt due to their past sins.

I can see them Microsofting up the UI, and also trying to push .NET, Visual Studio, Azure, etc. through the tools and UX. GitHub accounts will probably be merged with Live accounts at some point. I don't see them charging extra or otherwise inconveniencing regular OS projects.

I imagine many companies using private GitHub repos will (understandably) move away. I just hope we don't also get a mass exodus of open source projects solely because of anti-MS sentiment, which is honestly 10 years out of date at this point.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

It looks like you're trying to clone this repo! Can I help?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

LOOK I AM A TURTLE posted:

Yeah, if Microsoft fucks up GitHub it will be due to incompetence, not maliciousness. Microsoft is almost excessively invested in open source now, to the point where it feels like they're driven by guilt due to their past sins.

I can see them Microsofting up the UI, and also trying to push .NET, Visual Studio, Azure, etc. through the tools and UX. GitHub accounts will probably be merged with Live accounts at some point. I don't see them charging extra or otherwise inconveniencing regular OS projects.

I imagine many companies using private GitHub repos will (understandably) move away. I just hope we don't also get a mass exodus of open source projects solely because of anti-MS sentiment, which is honestly 10 years out of date at this point.

They are going to replace the GitExtensions interface with some app-like bullshit even for the desktop, like they did with Skype, and I'm already mad.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

Xerophyte posted:

Think what you will of Microsoft but they're unlikely to somehow leverage an acquisition of Github into corrupting Junio Hamano to the dark side and changing the behavior of git itself.

Google beat them to the punch many years ago anyway, and thankfully they've been hands-off.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I really hope people give it a chance because every time I have to use another online git repo thingy I'm thinking "gently caress, why couldn't they just use github, it's UI is so much better (or what I'm used to because everyone else uses it)".

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
i really hope they add that slowly animating popup thing telling me to use Edge like they do to msdn docs.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Boss posted this to teams this morning, I assume he saw it on reddit.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

They are going to replace the GitExtensions interface with some app-like bullshit even for the desktop, like they did with Skype, and I'm already mad.
If you mean the GitHub desktop client, it's already the worst Git UI available so I don't see how they could make it worse.

Git Extensions is a separate thing and is actually cool and good.

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

Rogue operating systems on occasion spread lies and rumors about me.

Thermopyle posted:

...what I'm used to because everyone else uses it...

Literally Microsoft's market strategy for the last two decades.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Thermopyle posted:

I really hope people give it a chance because every time I have to use another online git repo thingy I'm thinking "gently caress, why couldn't they just use github, it's UI is so much better (or what I'm used to because everyone else uses it)".

It's not just what you're used to. I can't speak for gitlab (never used it) but github is miles better than bitbucket in every metric. It's faster, waaaay faster, which is really sad considering that github is often really slow, but like all Atlassian products Bitbucket is a slow lumbering beast for no reason. Also has way more features and a much, much more functional UI.

We use bitbucket at my new job and man I really miss github. All my coworkers spent this morning talking about how horrible MS is after the news of the acquisition came out. They're all old and their gripes against MS are that they replaced VB with .NET :eng99:

Their hatred would be much better pointed at Atlassian who only make garbage products :argh:

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Taffer posted:

They're all old and their gripes against MS are that they replaced VB with .NET :eng99:

WHO in their right mind still pines for visual loving basic???

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

SupSuper posted:

If you mean the GitHub desktop client, it's already the worst Git UI available so I don't see how they could make it worse.

Git Extensions is a separate thing and is actually cool and good.

Oh, in that case I am much relieved, because that's what we use at work.

Taffer posted:

It's not just what you're used to. I can't speak for gitlab (never used it) but github is miles better than bitbucket in every metric. It's faster, waaaay faster, which is really sad considering that github is often really slow, but like all Atlassian products Bitbucket is a slow lumbering beast for no reason. Also has way more features and a much, much more functional UI.

We use bitbucket at my new job and man I really miss github. All my coworkers spent this morning talking about how horrible MS is after the news of the acquisition came out. They're all old and their gripes against MS are that they replaced VB with .NET :eng99:

Their hatred would be much better pointed at Atlassian who only make garbage products :argh:

I've never really had any issues with Bitbucket, but I rarely use its interfaces - it's just our remote repository as far as I'm concerned. :shrug:

Unrelated: Is this the right thread to laugh at this?

https://twitter.com/appleinsider/status/1003762097048768514

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION
Honestly the complaints I've seen about Microsoft acquiring GitHub just stink of "I haven't updated my view of the software development world in 10 years" and I just roll my eyes.

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.
Yeah, it's not like Microsoft is perfect or anything but I'd expected people to do better than "M$" and Clippy memes.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Sagacity posted:

Yeah, it's not like Microsoft is perfect or anything but I'd expected people to do better than "M$" and Clippy memes.

No you wouldn't, this is what you would expect.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
I mean it’s a little uncomfortable to me that github is part of a different platform now, changing its fiscal and business incentives. I can’t really put my finger on any concrete bad thing - like there’s no reason to migrate off of gh now because MICROSOFT is in control if you were already ok with a WHOLE DIFFERENT COMPAny HOSTING YOUR CODE but it just... makes me uncomfortable.

bigmandan
Sep 11, 2001

lol internet
College Slice
Gitlab is cool and good. I use a self hosted CE version at work and it works well enough for what we need it for.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

My primary concern is very dumb and petty: I like github's ui and it's probably going to change.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Oh Apple, never change. And by never change I mean continue to declare that you are changing and anyone who doesn't like it can go suck dicks in hell.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.
The only thing that bugs me about the Microsoft purchase is the trend of everything becoming owned by megacorporations, but I guess that's capitalism for you.

hackbunny posted:

https://visualstudio.uservoice.com/forums/121579-visual-studio-ide/suggestions/3440221-bring-back-classic-visual-basic-an-improved-versi

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

hackbunny posted:

Hacker News's greatest son: https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=8545606 https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=16085037

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

Sagacity posted:

Lower your expectations.

Case in point, check out the GVFS project for some hot takes, such as "PoopVFS" and "Rename GVFS to "M$vfs"'. Wow, some other project also used those 4 letters, clearly this is microsoft up to no good and certainly not a reasonable effort to improve git so that it can be used with literally the biggest repo ever, which oh yeah, is one of microsoft's flagship products.

It clearly takes more patience than would I have not to close, lock, and ban these idiots.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Absurd Alhazred posted:

The real horror is that anyone was treating OSX OpenGL as "supported" when it hasn't been updated for 8 years. This deprecation is just a formality, for all intents and purposes it was already deprecated.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
I'm upset at the GitHub thing because they made an unprofitable company and are being rewarded with more Microsoft stock than the CEO. Like, maybe don't give the people who can't make sustainable file hosting $8 billion dollars???

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Absurd Alhazred posted:

OpenGL on the Mac hasn't been updated in almost a decade. Its deprecation has been expected for some time.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Suspicious Dish posted:

I'm upset at the GitHub thing because they made an unprofitable company and are being rewarded with more Microsoft stock than the CEO. Like, maybe don't give the people who can't make sustainable file hosting $8 billion dollars???

We're they trying to make a sustainable company in the amount of time they've existed or were they angling for acquisition all along?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

has that guy posted a single top post there less than 4 paragraphs in length

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

bob dobbs is dead posted:

has that guy posted a single top post there less than 4 paragraphs in length
You show some respect, he singlehandedly saved Fedex.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

It's literally impossible to write good code in Visual Basic, these people are insane. I learned programming in Visual Basic and it took me years of academic courses to undo the harm

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

Factor Mystic posted:

Lower your expectations.

Case in point, check out the GVFS project for some hot takes, such as "PoopVFS" and "Rename GVFS to "M$vfs"'. Wow, some other project also used those 4 letters, clearly this is microsoft up to no good and certainly not a reasonable effort to improve git so that it can be used with literally the biggest repo ever, which oh yeah, is one of microsoft's flagship products.

It clearly takes more patience than would I have not to close, lock, and ban these idiots.

:vomit:
Why are people so terrible?

Thermopyle posted:

We're they trying to make a sustainable company in the amount of time they've existed or were they angling for acquisition all along?

It is a startup, search your heart.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

Tag yourself, I'm the reply confessing that my SQL queries come straight from the client.

canis minor
May 4, 2011

https://snyk.io/research/zip-slip-vulnerability

Specification allowing for creation of directory traversal entries kind of bothers me

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

boo_radley posted:

Tag yourself, I'm the reply confessing that my SQL queries come straight from the client.

i'm the "easy-to-use" berkley sockets api.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Thermopyle posted:

if i've learned anything from my last 4 years of living in san francisco, it's that startup have no idea what they're doing and basically float on by until they run out of money

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Xarn posted:

:vomit:
Why are people so terrible?

Why must the evil behemoth Mikkkro$oft steal all the valor and goodwill by copying the acronym of the well-known and widely-used project, uh *squints*... GNOME Virtual File System?

boo_radley posted:

I'll be the startup unironically making new .aspx.vb files in hellyear 2018

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Suspicious Dish posted:

Twitter is a publicly traded company and has never made a dollar in profit ever. The whole point of tech companies is to get acquired. That's the only exit strategy that exists.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

poemdexter posted:

Twitter is a publicly traded company and has never made a dollar in profit ever. The whole point of tech companies is to get acquired. That's the only exit strategy that exists.

Counterpoint: Amazon took like 15 years to post a profit, not because they didn't have a solid business but because they kept plowing their revenue back into the company.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
lotta tech companies doing boring business poo poo makin bank

twitter's anomalous in having fended off multiple acquisition offers because of the naziism of the users. also naziism of ceo, lol