Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Epicurius posted:

Japan didn't have the manpower or the supply/logistics to win in China. If you look at the map of the land they took, its never all that far from the coast, except for a little bit near the puppet state in Inner Mongolia, because so many of their supplies were being shipped by sea. The further away from the coast they got, the more strained their supply lines got. Meanwhile, behind the lines, the combination of the Communist "base areas" and the non-Communist resistance meant that Japan couldn't even secure the countryside in the area they controlled. There was an active resistance movement in Manchuria that the Japanese actively tried to put down for ten years, finally succeeding in 1942. Meanwhile, the whole "burn to ash/three alls" campaign by the Japanese was a symptom of their inability to do anything against unrest, or to get any benefit out of the territory they controlled. When you resort to large scale civilian massacres and scorched earth combat fighting guerrillas, it's a sign that your conquest attempt has gone pretty seriously wrong.

Pretty much. "Victory" would have just meant extending this mess to the rest of China instead of just the coastal regions. It was not a well thought out plan, to the extent it was even a plan at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
keep in mind the whole thing got kicked off with the extremely rad strategy of the Kwantung army field grade officers being like "lets go bonk some heads" and then sort of working backwards and forwards from there

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

Cythereal posted:

I've repeatedly heard stories that a lot of the lend-lease trucks sent to the Soviet Union still had USA painted on the sides, which most Russians who saw them thought was an acronym to the effect of (I don't remember the exact Russian words) "Kill that loving Adolf."

I've read an account that said the soldiers believed (or at least so they told civilians) that it's because they're export models. You know, for exporting to America.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Even at the height of its territorial presence in China, the Japanese only really managed to maintain control of the cities and railroads- huge pockets of Chinese troops could remain behind the 'line' and even retain their supply- even if by 1944 the KMT troops weren't really capable of offensive or effective defensive action, the Japanese also weren't capable of gaining much from fighting.

Chiang faced similar problems when he went to war with the Communists- he attacked and took cities and railroads but in the end it mostly left him more vulnerable when the Communists decided to counterattack- it wasn't a war of thick, impenetrable front lines.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Kinda hard to do that, China big.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
And then the Soviets kicked their arse.

sullat posted:

Would it? From a Soviet perspective, China being a big mess would be preferable to China being a stable power that's still unhappy about the loss of the north side of the Amur.

I don't think the Sino-Soviet rift is a thing that is obvious ahead of time.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Fangz posted:

And then the Soviets kicked their arse.

I don't think the Sino-Soviet rift is a thing that is obvious ahead of time.

Before the Japanese invaded, there was an entire, very bloody war between China and the Soviet Union. The Sino-Soviet split has nothing to do with this.

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

feedmegin posted:

Japan is about 50% bigger by land area and has twice the population of the UK, you know...

drat, why didnt the Japanese think of having two and a half million Indians fight their wars for them?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Libluini posted:

Before the Japanese invaded, there was an entire, very bloody war between China and the Soviet Union. The Sino-Soviet split has nothing to do with this.

Yeah, but I don't think that's going to be enough to dissuade the Soviets from intervening in China on the logic that doing so would secure them influence there.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

HerraS posted:

drat, why didnt the Japanese think of having two and a half million Indians fight their wars for them?

Didn't they have that exact idea/concept? Like, liberating the Indian subcontinent and then rallying them as kind of a pan-Asian brotherhood against western imperialists?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

bewbies posted:

Didn't they have that exact idea/concept? Like, liberating the Indian subcontinent and then rallying them as kind of a pan-Asian brotherhood against western imperialists?

They toyed with the idea, yes, but the IJA said oh gently caress no we're not invading India we barely have the manpower or equipment for our current commitments.

It was one of several possibilities the Japanese military leadership considered in 1942 after taking the Philippines. Their immediate military goals secure, they faced the question of what to do next. The main ideas considered were ceasing expansion to consolidate and fortify their gains, invade India and Sri Lanka, invade Australia, invade the rest of the DEI to cut off Australia from the US, or invade Midway as a stepping stone to Hawaii.

Thanks to Yamamoto pulling a "Do it my way or I and my senior staff quit," Japan went with that last option and we all know how that turned out.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

FOIA request lead to 73mb of 50's and 60's internal NSA security posters being declassified.

I've always found the "groovy" 60's pop iconography unsettling and NSA propaganda messages don't help

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Cythereal posted:

Thanks to Yamamoto pulling a "Do it my way or I and my senior staff quit," Japan went with that last option and we all know how that turned out.

This is pretty much post WWI to end of WWII Japan in a nutshell. Officers did what they wanted, when they wanted, and then browbeat the imperial government/establishment into accepting it. Civilian officials were impotent too because you were dealing with a system based on Imperial Germany's but the previous emperor was mentally retarded, most likely lead poisoning, and his son was raised by the military establishment.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Cythereal posted:

They toyed with the idea, yes, but the IJA said oh gently caress no we're not invading India we barely have the manpower or equipment for our current commitments.

It was one of several possibilities the Japanese military leadership considered in 1942 after taking the Philippines. Their immediate military goals secure, they faced the question of what to do next. The main ideas considered were ceasing expansion to consolidate and fortify their gains, invade India and Sri Lanka, invade Australia, invade the rest of the DEI to cut off Australia from the US, or invade Midway as a stepping stone to Hawaii.

Even if they did it the other ways I doubt it would have gone much better in the long term

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Milo and POTUS posted:

Even if they did it the other ways I doubt it would have gone much better in the long term

Probably so. The IJA vetoed the India and Australia invasions (and thought they'd vetoed the Hawaii move) because they'd be massive sinks of manpower when the IJA had very little manpower to spare. The consolidation and fortification plan was dismissed by both the IJA and IJN because it was cowardly and unglorious. The IJN and IJA thought they'd agreed to advance southeast into the rest of the DEI to cut off Australia until Yamamoto threw his tantrum.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
WW2 Data

The first part of US mines is up, and we get a few revelations. How is the tree suspension device supposed to work? What are practice mines painted as; what about dummy mines? What is an Anti-Tank Mine M5 made of, and why does using an anti-lifting device defeat its purpose?

All that and more at the blog!

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/06/04/politics/mueller-manafort-witness-tampering/index.html posted:

Hapsburg group activity
In late February, the new filing says, Manafort "repeatedly contacted" two anonymous people who may be witnesses against him, called Person D1 and D2. Those two people had previously assisted lobbying and public relations efforts that Manafort masterminded in the US and Europe. They have recently helped investigators find evidence of the witness tampering effort, prosecutors said.
Manafort and a confidante first asked the two people to claim that the Ukrainian lobbying work only happened in Europe, effectively attempting to get their stories all on the same page, since all involved knew the group had lobbied Congress, investigators said. Manafort also attempted to use the two people to influence the distinguished group of former European political leaders they previously worked with, called the Hapsburg group, who were part of the alleged lobbying scheme.
The two people had previously helped Manafort arrange for the Hapsburg group to contact US senators, meet with members of Congress and their staffs, and publish an op-ed in The Hill newspaper in Washington that supported the politics of former Ukrainian President Viktor Yanukovych, while posing as independent voices, prosecutors have said. In Monday night's filing, prosecutors attached several emails and schedules from 2011 to 2013 about the Hapsburg group's meetings in the US with members of Congress.
Manafort's allegedly illegal contacts with the two people happened in the days after prosecutors unveiled a new set of criminal charges against him in DC related to his lobbying work. Those charges had revealed for the first time the existence of the Hapsburg group and its efforts in the US.
Also that week, on February 23, Manafort's longtime deputy Rick Gates agreed to plead guilty to charges of conspiracy and lying to investigators and would cooperate with prosecutors, making Manafort's case an even more difficult one to overcome.

goatsestretchgoals fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Jun 5, 2018

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Those Habsburgs might have been in eastern europe but they definitely have the intelligence of the Spanish Habsburgs

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

goatsestretchgoals posted:

The more things change, the more they stay the same.
fingers crossed a bunch of scottish/irish dudes halberd erik prince

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Cythereal posted:

Probably so. The IJA vetoed the India and Australia invasions (and thought they'd vetoed the Hawaii move) because they'd be massive sinks of manpower when the IJA had very little manpower to spare. The consolidation and fortification plan was dismissed by both the IJA and IJN because it was cowardly and unglorious. The IJN and IJA thought they'd agreed to advance southeast into the rest of the DEI to cut off Australia until Yamamoto threw his tantrum.

Note that despite this, Imphal still happened.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Alchenar posted:

Note that despite this, Imphal still happened.
Imphal was 1944 though and it was basically a hail-mary attempt with minimal forces (the japanese attacked with something like 3 divisions IIRC), minimal logistical support (and even the small amount of supplies that reached the front had to go through the naga hills, which was a logistical nightmare) and minimal air assets. Imphal was basically lost for the Japanese as soon as the offensive started, to be honest.

It's not really comparable, unless by Imphal you mean the invasion of Burma in 1942.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

HerraS posted:

They just had millions of Koreans, Taiwanese and Chinese forced into doing their industry for them instead.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
once again i take the time out of my busy schedule of nothing in particular to combat a harmful myth:

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

quote:

No refuge could save the hireling and slave
From the terror of flight or the gloom of the grave,
And the star-spangled banner in triumph doth wave
O’er the land of the free and the home of the brave.

The Star-Spangled Banner is three-fifths good song, but then you get to the pro-slavery verse and welp

"This Land is Your Land" should be the national anthem. Especially the verse about private property.
That verse is about soldiers, who are either paid to be there (hirelings) or forced to be there (slaves). Francis Scott Key, like all americans of the time I know about, was really, really anti-standing-army.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

HEY GUNS posted:

That verse is about soldiers, who are either paid to be there (hirelings) or forced to be there (slaves). Francis Scott Key, like all americans of the time I know about, was really, really anti-standing-army.

I sometimes wonder how the founding fathers would react to the near hero worship of the military in modern America. Washington would probably be down but Jefferson would be beyond horrified.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Two hundred years of time and a couple economic/technological revolutions will shuffle around a few values and underlying assumptions

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Don Gato posted:

I sometimes wonder how the founding fathers would react to the near hero worship of the military in modern America. Washington would probably be down but Jefferson would be beyond horrified.
as would 17th century nonsoldiers, but for completely different reasons

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

HEY GUNS posted:

Is this so clear-cut? What I have come to understand is that there were escaped slaves serving under the British and participated in the attack on Baltimore. Francis Scott Key of course kept his own slaves.

Regardless, Hieronymous Alloy gets bonus points for mentioning that the song is "three-fifths good." I totally missed that when I first saw it this morning.

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks
In my uninformed opinion, Japan could have probably come out on top in a war against the US, but that sort of war wasn't the one they got.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Is this so clear-cut? What I have come to understand is that there were escaped slaves serving under the British and participated in the attack on Baltimore. Francis Scott Key of course kept his own slaves.
Black people served on both sides of that war.

Slave owners did not refer to what they were doing as keeping slaves. Those were "servants." The most common use of the word was as a metaphor. This is squarely within the contemporary discussion of what it means to have a longterm army.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jun 5, 2018

Kei Technical
Sep 20, 2011

HEY GUNS posted:

fingers crossed a bunch of scottish/irish dudes halberd erik prince

Don't stop

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

HEY GUNS posted:

Slave owners did not refer to what they were doing as keeping slaves

While I don't think the song refers to actual slaves either, some of them at least did -

http://www.ushistory.org/us/27f.asp

https://archive.org/details/christiandoctrin00lcarms

They specifically justified it using biblical and classical slavery in fact.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

What? What the gently caress? What? Why?

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Look out for the Hamführgler

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
And Obersturmmann McCheese.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Unit cuff title:

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Cessna posted:

Unit cuff title:

milhist thread gangtag

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Hey, at least you know the place has good grills.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014