Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

The punishment as described by Molyneux would be very effective: if you refuse to comply with a DRO they just legalize your torture/rape/murder/what-have-you, and ban you from buying necessities like food, water etc by threatening the same punishment for anyone who sells anything to you.

This is also the punishment for loving the wrong person, refusing to allow corporate surveillance in your home, being poor, etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

VitalSigns posted:

The punishment as described by Molyneux would be very effective: if you refuse to comply with a DRO they just legalize your torture/rape/murder/what-have-you, and ban you from buying necessities like food, water etc by threatening the same punishment for anyone who sells anything to you.

This is also the punishment for loving the wrong person, refusing to allow corporate surveillance in your home, being poor, etc

wow weird, we can call these people "outlaws" because they are "outside" the "law"

this is a new concept that has never been thought about or existed before

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Jazerus posted:

wow weird, we can call these people "outlaws" because they are "outside" the "law"

this is a new concept that has never been thought about or existed before

It's not new, but it's generally considered unjust and inhumane and vigilantism is rightly illegal.

Of course Libertarians love the idea because they imagine people who agree with them on everything will be the ones deciding whom it's legal to enslave/hunt/rape/murder (the poor, loose women who won't gently caress them, etc)

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

VitalSigns posted:

It's not new, but it's generally considered unjust and inhumane and vigilantism is rightly illegal.

Of course Libertarians love the idea because they imagine people who agree with them on everything will be the ones deciding whom it's legal to enslave/hunt/rape/murder (the poor, loose women who won't gently caress them, etc)

my point was that it's just one more way that DROs are not actually an untested type of societal organization; they're just feudalism in a suit.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
Most people who hate the government are actually power-mad, and they want the government to go away because it's the only organisation strong enough to stop them and they resent it. For an example, see anyone whose last name is Koch. Those are the type of people who cannot stand having any power imposed upon them, but they desperately want to have power over everyone and everything else - the prime ingredients of genuine sociopathy. These are the type of people who don't want bad things done to them, but only them. These are the sorts of people who, even if you showed them terrible suffering from which they are insulated or actually inflicted any on them, they would still use their power to hurt other people because they simply have no ability to feel what other people feel, yet we applaud people like that and are expected to admire and emulate them, which is insulting. I've come to the point that whenever I see a "successful" person (a.k.a. anyone with far too much money), I don't see a rich person... I see the many, many people who are poor because of that person.

On the other hand, you have people who don't want horrible things done to them but don't want those same things done to people either... they have actual empathy. They know how it feels to suffer and they don't want to inflict it on anyone; I fancy that that would be true for most of the people contributing in this thread. I think that most of us have realised that wealth is power and that concentrating wealth makes for terrible power imbalances that inevitably lead to misery. What corporations have done, and it's devilishly clever, is that they have convinced the world that the government is the big bogey man even though government is the only thing powerful enough to reign in, even a little, corporate greed and indifference. I'm reminded of that great quote by Charles Baudelaire: “La plus belle des ruses du diable est de vous persuader qu'il n'existe pas" - I think that you recognise that one without me translating it. Despite mounting evidence, people are still appallingly greedy and they buy into the narrative that the government is stopping them from being rich and powerful instead of, well, the rich and powerful; the classic Steinbeck "disenfranchised millionaires" rhetoric. The government is doing gently caress all apart from insisting on naughty taxes, but the huge corporation that has all the market share and uses its lobbying power to foster anti-competitive behaviour wants nothing more than to crush you under its jack boots. Yet big corporations control the medias and, consequently, the narrative.

The latter paragraph is why I hold out no real hope of a peaceful transition from cut-throat capitalism to utilitarianism: a combination of overly-centralised wealth and power combined with horrifying human selfishness. The only possible way that corporations will give up all that they have taken is if the government forces them, and that will only happen if the people force the government and we are nowhere near that point. I am also convinced that, even if we could provide everyone with what they need to live well, people are desperate to find ways to feel superior to others. I feel that racial/gender/etc bias is a product of social conditioning, but selfishness is encoded in the human condition and all of the improvements in race relations have not made people any less greedy. Economic discrimination is the modern, socially accepted form of "bigotry", and I just don't see a way around it because change would require sacrifice, which is counterpoint to human nature and capitalist indoctrination.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Jazerus posted:

my point was that it's just one more way that DROs are not actually an untested type of societal organization; they're just feudalism in a suit.

The important part to the Libertarians is that the suit matches theirs. Feudalism is the explicit end-state of their desired society.

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

VitalSigns posted:

You have slighted your DRO by failing to pay your taxes non-taxation fees, or were confused with someone who had done such. Perhaps you failed to click an updated EULA quickly enough? Or maybe you gave minor offense to the wrong person, or gave even trivial succor to some other unperson. Whatever the cause, a flamboyance of warboys has descended upon your sorry still-moving unpersonhood to loot liberate you of your blood, amalgam fillings, personal effects, meat, and/or property rights. Is this a violation of your rights? The answer may surprise you!
  1. No, because warboys are not MEN WITH GUNS. They specialize in melee, harpoons, explosive, musical, and incendiary weaponry (both individually and severally in combination), all of which are explicitly excluded from any right-thinking DRO's definitions of "GUNS".
  2. No, because even if the the warboys had GUNS, your DRO's rescission of your life must have fair or else nobody (you included) would have freely consented to create joinder with them in the first place.
  3. No, because if it was, then you would have already challenged the jarl and won the trial by combat.
  4. No, because your skin's quantity of melatonin is to be a good culture fit with rights-having/life-having.
  5. No, because positive rights do not and cannot exist; they are a fake lie invented by Karl "Cultural" Marx to deceive us. Contrast this with negative rights, which are real and strong and still your friend.
  6. No, because you did not scream "stop violating the NAP!" either loudly enough or quickly enough and so your rights were therefore respected at all times, in a rights-respecting manner.
  7. No, because ________________________________________________________________ [fill in].
Pencils down! Better luck next time you reincarnate into the DROtopia, all shiny and chrome! At that time you can pick up your graded quiz/exit interview and learn from your mistakes in this life.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Libertarians are hypocrites, so if it happened to them they'd say it violates their rights but if the exact same thing happened to someone else they'd cheer the warboys on.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

JustJeff88 posted:

Most people who hate the government are actually power-mad, and they want the government to go away because it's the only organisation strong enough to stop them and they resent it. For an example, see anyone whose last name is Koch. Those are the type of people who cannot stand having any power imposed upon them, but they desperately want to have power over everyone and everything else - the prime ingredients of genuine sociopathy. These are the type of people who don't want bad things done to them, but only them. These are the sorts of people who, even if you showed them terrible suffering from which they are insulated or actually inflicted any on them, they would still use their power to hurt other people because they simply have no ability to feel what other people feel, yet we applaud people like that and are expected to admire and emulate them, which is insulting. I've come to the point that whenever I see a "successful" person (a.k.a. anyone with far too much money), I don't see a rich person... I see the many, many people who are poor because of that person.

On the other hand, you have people who don't want horrible things done to them but don't want those same things done to people either... they have actual empathy. They know how it feels to suffer and they don't want to inflict it on anyone; I fancy that that would be true for most of the people contributing in this thread. I think that most of us have realised that wealth is power and that concentrating wealth makes for terrible power imbalances that inevitably lead to misery. What corporations have done, and it's devilishly clever, is that they have convinced the world that the government is the big bogey man even though government is the only thing powerful enough to reign in, even a little, corporate greed and indifference. I'm reminded of that great quote by Charles Baudelaire: “La plus belle des ruses du diable est de vous persuader qu'il n'existe pas" - I think that you recognise that one without me translating it. Despite mounting evidence, people are still appallingly greedy and they buy into the narrative that the government is stopping them from being rich and powerful instead of, well, the rich and powerful; the classic Steinbeck "disenfranchised millionaires" rhetoric. The government is doing gently caress all apart from insisting on naughty taxes, but the huge corporation that has all the market share and uses its lobbying power to foster anti-competitive behaviour wants nothing more than to crush you under its jack boots. Yet big corporations control the medias and, consequently, the narrative.

The latter paragraph is why I hold out no real hope of a peaceful transition from cut-throat capitalism to utilitarianism: a combination of overly-centralised wealth and power combined with horrifying human selfishness. The only possible way that corporations will give up all that they have taken is if the government forces them, and that will only happen if the people force the government and we are nowhere near that point. I am also convinced that, even if we could provide everyone with what they need to live well, people are desperate to find ways to feel superior to others. I feel that racial/gender/etc bias is a product of social conditioning, but selfishness is encoded in the human condition and all of the improvements in race relations have not made people any less greedy. Economic discrimination is the modern, socially accepted form of "bigotry", and I just don't see a way around it because change would require sacrifice, which is counterpoint to human nature and capitalist indoctrination.

There's a fantastic essay by China Miellville in which he describes libertarianism (more specifically its sea-steading variation) as attracting capitalist losers. The big and powerful capitalists love the system because it works well for them while providing a mostly stable society in which they can enjoy their immense wealth, whereas libertarians resent it as they're too small and dumb to get themselves written advantageously into the tax code and power structure.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Captain_Maclaine posted:

There's a fantastic essay by China Miellville in which he describes libertarianism (more specifically its sea-steading variation) as attracting capitalist losers. The big and powerful capitalists love the system because it works well for them while providing a mostly stable society in which they can enjoy their immense wealth, whereas libertarians resent it as they're too small and dumb to get themselves written advantageously into the tax code and power structure.

http://inthesetimes.com/article/3328/floating_utopias

quote:

Utopianism has always had two, usually though not always contradictory, aesthetic and avant-gardist gravitational pulls: toward a hallucinatory baroque or, alternately, a post-Corbusier functionalism. In seasteading, these iterations are represented by Tsui’s hallucinatory organicism on one hand and Buckminster Fuller’s extraordinary, floating, ziggurat-like Triton City on the other.

The libertarian seasteaders are heirs to this visionary tradition but degrade it with their class politics. They almost make one nostalgic for more grandiose enemy dreams. The uncompromising monoliths of fascist and Stalinist architecture expressed their paymasters’ monstrous ambitions. The wildest of the libertarian seasteaders, New Utopia, manages to crossfertilize its drab Miami-ism with enough candy floss Las Vegaries to keep a crippled baroque distantly in sight. Freedom Ship, however, is a floating shopping mall, a buoyant block of midrange Mediterranean hotels. This failure of utopian imagination is nowhere clearer than in the floating city of the long defunct but still influential Atlantis Project.

It is a libertarian dream. Hexagonal neighborhoods of square apartments bob sedately by tiny coiffed parks and tastefully featureless marinas, an Orange County of the soul. It is the ultimate gated community, designed not by the very rich and certainly not by the very powerful, but by the middlingly so. As a utopia, the Atlantis Project is pitiful. Beyond the single one-trick fact of its watery location, it is tragically non-ambitious, crippled with class anxiety, nostalgic not for mythic glory but for the anonymous sanctimony of an invented 1950s. This is no ruling class vision: it is the plaintive daydream of a petty bourgeoisie, whose sulky solution to perceived social problems is to run away–set sail into a tax-free sunset.

None of this is surprising. Libertarianism is not a ruling-class theory. It may be indulged, certainly, for the useful ideas it can throw up, and its prophets have at times influenced dominant ideologies–witness the cack-handed depredations of the “Chicago Boys” in Chile after Allende’s bloody overthrow. But untempered by the realpolitik of Reaganism and Thatcherism, the anti-statism of “pure” libertarianism is worse than useless to the ruling class.

Big capital will support tax-lowering measures, of course, but it does not need to piss and moan about taxes with the tedious relentlessness of the libertarian. Big capital, with its ranks of accountant-Houdinis, just gets on with not paying it. And why hate a state that pays so well? Big capital is big, after all, not only because of the generous contracts its state obligingly hands it, but because of the gun-ships with which its state opens up markets for it.

Libertarianism, by contrast, is a theory of those who find it hard to avoid their taxes, who are too small, incompetent or insufficiently connected to win Iraq-reconstruction contracts, or otherwise chow at the state trough. In its maundering about a mythical ideal-type capitalism, libertarianism betrays its fear of actually existing capitalism, at which it cannot quite succeed. It is a philosophy of capitalist inadequacy.

Libertarianism’s nemesis, “the state,” is no less abstract. This is particularly so for libertarianism’s seasteading wing, for whom the political entity “the state” is bizarrely geographically literalized. Their intent is to slip the surly bonds of earth not up but sideways, beyond littoral borders. It is a lunatic syllogism: “I dislike the state: The state is made of land: Therefore I dislike the land.” Water is a solvent, dissolving “political” (state) power, leaving only “economics” behind.

GunnerJ fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Jun 5, 2018

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
On the other hand, lolbertarians' attempts to set up seasteads are so hilariously inept and fun to watch that I encourage every such group to go for it.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
Another one of my favourite libertarian lines is how taxation is theft. I find this hilarious for two reasons: Firstly, your employer steals more from you than the government ever will, they just aren't polite enough to write it down for you or give you anything in return for taking from your labour. Also, if you don't like the tax in a country, YOU CAN LEAVE. Unless you are a felon/tax evader, you can pack up your poo poo, renounce your citizenship (which was given to you for free) and gently caress off somewhere else. Rich people have been hiding their ill-gotten gains in tax shelters for years, and we know that they are all great!

Here's what else is fun... if you don't make any money, you don't have to pay any taxes and the government will steal send police to protect you, fireman to put out your blazing house, educate your children and, in countries that aren't poo poo, look after your health. You can be born in a country, grow up to be the age of adulthood without ever having had a job and never having paid tuppence in tax and gently caress off somewhere else... and they won't ask a thin dime of you. I know that a libertard would say that it's very hard to emigrate and that the government of, let's choose a somewhat less dumb country, Canada will aggress upon you if you try to live there without permission. I, of course, would respond that they have invested their time and labour in the land and you can't just use it without their say-so.

My point is, despite making fun of the incredibly stupid for my own giggles, is that you cannot convince people of anything if they disagree with you on principle. It doesn't matter if it's a fiscal issue or a social issue, a secular issue or a religious issue.... if people dislike something because it suspends their sensibilities, you can't win because any attempt to reason with them will just make them dig their heels in harder. This isn't a conservative/liberal thing or a capitalist/communist thing; when someone holds an idea up as sacred, nothing is going to shift it apart from a blow to the head. This may be interpreted in either the metaphoric or literal sense.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Of course Mieville wrote an essay about why libertarian seastanding is comically doomed. It's almost like he wrote a book involving the real-world issues of such a place and how it's not an instant utopia in anyone's hands.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

JustJeff88 posted:

Also, if you don't like the tax in a country, YOU CAN LEAVE.

I don't think this is really meaningfully true for most people who aren't wealthy, to be fair. But it's not like it comes up.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Disinterested posted:

I don't think this is really meaningfully true for most people who aren't wealthy, to be fair. But it's not like it comes up.

And it's not like the "benefits" of lolbertarianism are meaningfully true for most people who aren't wealthy at all, either.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

NGDBSS posted:

Of course Mieville wrote an essay about why libertarian seastanding is comically doomed. It's almost like he wrote a book involving the real-world issues of such a place and how it's not an instant utopia in anyone's hands.

The best thing about seasteading is that a common plan was to live on ocean liners in international shores off of San Francisco then work tech jobs there so they wouldn't have to pay taxes.

It's like "hey let's abandon society by only abandoning taxes while still using the benefits of America." It's like...uh hey guys that isn't how it works.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

"An Orange County of the soul" has to be one of the more biting indictments ever levied at libertarian dreams.

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

I have mostly avoided Jordan Peterson's output, partially intentionally, and I enjoyed reading this article. It went a long way towards explaining jrod's new infatuation with Jordy Pete for me, so thanks! I may or may not expand on that further later should I have the time + inclination.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

The best thing about seasteading is that a common plan was to live on ocean liners in international shores off of San Francisco then work tech jobs there so they wouldn't have to pay taxes.

It's like "hey let's abandon society by only abandoning taxes while still using the benefits of America." It's like...uh hey guys that isn't how it works.
Oh Blueseed   :allears:  #blessed #blueseed
    "Launch was planned for summer 2014,[11] provided that $18M more was raised.
    Blueseed is now on hold due to insufficient funding[11] and the founders are working on different projects."
    11. "Quick facts". Retrieved April 7, 2013.
Although I believe it was intended primarily to circumvent immigration laws for startup interns/employees, much moreso than allowing US citizens to circumvent tax laws:
    "In terms of taxation, Blueseed will not impose tax; however, individuals are responsible for paying their financial dues according to their country of residence. Corporate tax will be paid by startups located on board based on the country of incorporation.[45]"
    45. "What taxes will I have to pay?". Blueseed FAQ. Retrieved 2012-05-10.

Captain_Maclaine posted:

"An Orange County of the soul" has to be one of the more biting indictments ever levied at libertarian dreams.
It's been a long time since I'd read that essay and I had not remembered that turn of phrase, but  :drat::discourse:

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

JustJeff88 posted:

Just gotta have a top level

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

JustJeff88 posted:

Another one of my favourite libertarian lines is how taxation is theft. I find this hilarious for two reasons: Firstly, your employer steals more from you than the government ever will, they just aren't polite enough to write it down for you or give you anything in return for taking from your labour. Also, if you don't like the tax in a country, YOU CAN LEAVE. Unless you are a felon/tax evader, you can pack up your poo poo, renounce your citizenship (which was given to you for free) and gently caress off somewhere else. Rich people have been hiding their ill-gotten gains in tax shelters for years, and we know that they are all great!

Here's what else is fun... if you don't make any money, you don't have to pay any taxes and the government will steal send police to protect you, fireman to put out your blazing house, educate your children and, in countries that aren't poo poo, look after your health. You can be born in a country, grow up to be the age of adulthood without ever having had a job and never having paid tuppence in tax and gently caress off somewhere else... and they won't ask a thin dime of you. I know that a libertard would say that it's very hard to emigrate and that the government of, let's choose a somewhat less dumb country, Canada will aggress upon you if you try to live there without permission. I, of course, would respond that they have invested their time and labour in the land and you can't just use it without their say-so.

My point is, despite making fun of the incredibly stupid for my own giggles, is that you cannot convince people of anything if they disagree with you on principle. It doesn't matter if it's a fiscal issue or a social issue, a secular issue or a religious issue.... if people dislike something because it suspends their sensibilities, you can't win because any attempt to reason with them will just make them dig their heels in harder. This isn't a conservative/liberal thing or a capitalist/communist thing; when someone holds an idea up as sacred, nothing is going to shift it apart from a blow to the head. This may be interpreted in either the metaphoric or literal sense.

Yeah, the hard part that stops most of the lolbertarian whiners is that nobody else wants them either. They could renounce their citizenship in the US... but to a man, none of them are rich enough for the other western states to accept them despite their utter lack of desirable credentials.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Liquid Communism posted:

Yeah, the hard part that stops most of the lolbertarian whiners is that nobody else wants them either. They could renounce their citizenship in the US... but to a man, none of them are rich enough for the other western states to accept them despite their utter lack of desirable credentials.

Exactly. The ones that are rich have no desire to go anywhere because why would you leave a place where you are grossly overprivileged? I will say that the criteria to immigrate have become brutal. I only have the right to live and work in Canada because I was born there, which I admit sounds like saying "I only have the right to eat this bread because I grew the wheat, made the dough and baked it", but the point is that I was lucky - nobody chooses their country of birth and neither of my parents are Canadian. Otherwise, I would have no chance. In order to immigrate to Canada, at least from the US, the government requires a college degree and at least 150k in savings; there may be other requirements that I am forgetting. If you have that much saved up, why the gently caress move? People emigrate and start over elsewhere because they need a new lease on life. If one has 150 grand kicking around, I would say that you already drew the long straw.

Nevvy Z posted:

Just gotta have a top level

Not being flip; I genuinely have no idea what this means.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Liquid Communism posted:

One of my favorite examples of this are those bitcoiners who think they're clever by renouncing their US citizenship (a lengthy and onerous process) to duck taxes, only to end up supremely hosed as stateless citizens who then in a panic try to get the nearest US embassy to restore their citizenship only for the staff to go, "well you did sign off on the many forms saying that you knew what you were getting into and presented multiple attestations that you were of sound enough mind to do this, so not really a lot we can do chief," no doubt while suppressing laughter.

More specifically, I always crack a grin when I remember how Roger Ver renounced his citizenship and then ended up having to pay all his back taxes anyway in an attempt to get a visa to visit the US for some bitcoiner conference, only to have the state department block him anyway as too great a risk of overstaying.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

Disinterested posted:

But it's the precise same argument they give for if you don't like your rent, or your job: Leave. You have Freedom to choose another way!

Yet they'll discard this because governments aren't "legitimate" controllers of land, whereas property owners are rightful kings.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Captain_Maclaine posted:

More specifically, I always crack a grin when I remember how Roger Ver renounced his citizenship and then ended up having to pay all his back taxes anyway in an attempt to get a visa to visit the US for some bitcoiner conference, only to have the state department block him anyway as too great a risk of overstaying.
That was great.

Jazerus posted:

If it weren't for all the innocent non Libertarian-idjits it would hurt, it would be funny to see it in practice, and hear the Libertarian übermenschen wail about crony capitalism as they effectively became serfs of ThaneDRO.

"I was supposed to be dictating the terms of the contracts and deciding who was property"

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

VitalSigns posted:

That was great.

What made it even better was that he was never promised it in writing and paid it anyway.

I can't remember the specifics, though. Was he just given a verbal promise, or was it just a "It can't hurt your chances"?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Golbez posted:

Yet they'll discard this because governments aren't "legitimate" controllers of land, whereas property owners are rightful kings.
Really learning even a little about the history of land, clearances, and the enclosure movement should be enough to shoot this idea in the head.

Or turn them all into anarchists calling for the return of the commons.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

mojo1701a posted:

What made it even better was that he was never promised it in writing and paid it anyway.

I can't remember the specifics, though. Was he just given a verbal promise, or was it just a "It can't hurt your chances"?

If I remember right it was the latter, something like "you cannot be approved as long as you owe back taxes" but there was no guarantee.

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

mojo1701a posted:

They refused to even consider his application until he paid the back taxes. Then when he paid, they rejected the application on the grounds that he was a convicted felon in the US and only had a passport from St Kitts, where he owns no property other than the citizenship he bought.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

the dude got a visa in the end, from another embassy

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

VitalSigns posted:

If I remember right it was the latter, something like "you cannot be approved as long as you owe back taxes" but there was no guarantee.

Strawman posted:

They refused to even consider his application until he paid the back taxes. Then when he paid, they rejected the application on the grounds that he was a convicted felon in the US and only had a passport from St Kitts, where he owns no property other than the citizenship he bought.

Amazing. For the amount of money he owed, I sure as poo poo would've hired a lawyer to make sure it was all done properly.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

mojo1701a posted:

Amazing. For the amount of money he owed, I sure as poo poo would've hired a lawyer to make sure it was all done properly.

And that sort of old-fashioned, non-disruptive thinking is why you'll never be Roger Verified.

large adult son posted:

But not in time for the conference in question, which he hilariously attended remotely via a stick-mounted Ipad attached to a small motorized set of wheels.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Captain_Maclaine posted:

But not in time for the conference in question, which he hilariously attended remotely via a stick-mounted Ipad attached to a small motorized set of wheels.

ahaha, this is even better

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

large adult son posted:

ahaha, this is even better

He's a prick on a stick.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

large adult son posted:

What? You can do that?

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Stinkier than your average bear
Lipstick Apathy
I see that I'm too late, but...

RealTalk posted:

I just find it very hard to believe that her actual position was/is that a child could give consent to sex with an adult in any capacity, let alone for producing pornography.

The reason it's not hard for anyone else in the thread to believe, is because we are accustomed to a certain stripe of political "thinker" working from the assumption that their imagination is more credible than all of history or the presence or absence of real-life examples.

RealTalk posted:

Let me give you an example.

Consider a socially-conservative christian who personally thinks being gay or transgender is a sin. However, they don't speak about it or try and get other people to hate gays or anything like that. Most importantly, they recognize the equal rights of gays and transgendered people and would oppose any law that would deny them the right to get married or engage in any consensual behavior, regardless of their personal opinion on the matter.

You could say that such a person is homophobic and transphobic.

But also consider that they are strongly anti-war and are very articulate in speaking out against some of the most horrific atrocities that our government commits.

Personally, I would form a coalition with such people and get along with them based on our shared values, even though I don't agree with their social conservatism.

I would suspect that you would never overlook such rank "bigotry", regardless of the other merits of the person, or the fact that they would never impose their personal views on others. Further, you'd probably excoriate me for even associating with such a person even if I was only associating with them based on other areas where we agree.

My argument is that you'd readily forgive someone who associated with a known war criminal far more easily than you would someone who associated with a person that you think is a bigot.

Yeah, like that!

In all fairness, I could understand, (but still :thunk: about why it's worth the energy to them) if someone would make an argument like this centered on "well what if they're 17 years and 364 days old :smuggo:" but the apparent absence of any Mason-Dixon line reference in the text leads me to believe the author is sitting in an armchair imagining a drove of precocious and libertine 13-year-olds that are just absolutely crushed that they can't star in a Brazzers video.

JustJeff88 posted:

I would love to see some numbers with a reliable source on this; even I am very sceptical about this, and I'm as anti-capitalist as you come without actually being Karl Marx or maybe Gramsci. I did read an article about how a great deal of people, older ones specifically, who lived in former Soviet "republics" think that they were better off of under communism, but I lost the link.

I've heard some people I know talk about living in satellite states in relatively neutral terms. There's a common refrain about deciphering the state-controlled newspapers. It was like a game to try and figure out what was really happening behind all the fog that comes from following Doctor Jordan B. Peterson, PhD's cardinal rule of life: "Don't say anything that makes you weak."

I've gathered that the dominant value and expectation in Soviet life was stability, manifested in everyone being assigned their housing and employment, etc. I think someone from Romania or Lithuania or somewhere has said that back home they only had one or two kinds of pens available, and in America there's dozens and she gets choice paralysis and finds it ridiculous.

So upon the fall of the Soviet empire, one day the appointed bureaucrats just stopped showing up to the offices, because there was no more Soviet-ing to do, and the stability disappeared. I guess the regional administrative areas and places of employment had to reconstitute themselves from scratch. I should probably read some books on this, come to think of it, because that's an open question to me how that worked. The point being in one sense, the fall of USSR opened a frontier of possibility and national political self-determination, but the floor was pulled away with the ceiling, so it was definitely going to be a net loss for a great deal of vulnerable people, just as the fall of monarchy was a net loss for many people who experienced the Russian and American Revolutions (including loss of life, limb, family, etc).

I think that's a good case study for the concept of "creative destruction." It was probably better overall for most people in the 10-20 year term, but it was by its incarnation, in its backbone, a military regime, competing for imperial clout and deficient in openness and tolerance, and I'm not sure how far it could have taken itself with America making its own little DRO blockade against it. But again, I don't really know enough details to speak with conviction here, and the present regime in Russia proper isn't necessarily much better. And if you follow the Croatian thread in E/N at all, you'll recall how hard it is to take an employer to court for failure to pay wages in modern Croatia. So, yeah, thanks for bringing it up, gave me a lot to ponder.

Or I could have noticed ToxicSlurpee's post, lol.

Anyway, I'm listening to October on audiobook, too. It's very long and I keep forgetting who's who, but I do appreciate the depth and the stories here and there that make it really easy to put yourself in someone's shoes.

Stinky_Pete fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Jun 6, 2018

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
and now for your daily presentation of a man with brainworms defending Jorp

https://the-ivory-tower.com/pankaj-mishras-imaginary-fascist-review-review-jordan-peterson/

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Mr Interweb posted:

What? You can do that?

If I remember right, he resubmitted through Japan (where he actually lives) rather than St. Kitts (where he's nominally a citizen via one of their shady investments-for-passports schemes) and it cleared the second time.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Jesus Christ, the about page on that Ivory Tower site

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

Discendo Vox posted:

Jesus Christ, the about page on that Ivory Tower site

its nothing but wormbrains all the way down

quote:

Nathaniel is a graduate in International Politics (Bsc. Econ.) from Aberystwyth University with an MA in Journalism from Bournemouth University. He considers himself a latter-day Pickwickian, who views the nuances of the world with a growing sense of bewilderment and a strong desire for more beer. With thinly veiled pugnacity, he tends to write from a Catholic, British High Tory perspective on a broad range of topics and fully embraces the last available position of the modern rebel: orthodoxy. Nathaniel’s interests include history, politics and poetry but he also dabbles in architectural critique and philosophy.

fishception fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Jun 6, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
I’m phoneposting, but please, do the following: post and number all the biosketches 1,2,3 etc, then all the profile pics, labeled AB C etc, let’s have an impromptu matching quiz!