Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Pretty sure by TOS and whatnot, everyone in the Federation were well aware of the dangers of alcohol and willingly avoids it.

Except Scotty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Leavemywife posted:

He was also in Reaper, where he helped his buddy (who worked for the Devil) capture escaped demons.

That show went places. Turns out the protagonist was actually the son of the Devil, his step-father dies, returns as a zombie and they send him to Hell to spy on Satan, Sock - the guy you were talking about - gets into an anime "She's my step sister" plot and actually sleeps with her, the other friend eventually begins dating a demoness, and in the last episode of the second season(That ended up being the last one) the main character challenges the Devil for his girlfriend's soul but as he is almost winning his angel buddy appears and breaks his hand because God told him so and he loses.

Samuringa has a new favorite as of 16:01 on Jun 3, 2018

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Preem Palver posted:

The Defiant in DS9 is a good example of this. It's essentially some big engines attached to even bigger guns protected by shields and a prototype cloak. It's one of the smallest ships in the fleet, but can fly circles around much larger ships and blast them to pieces; it also skips all of the usual Federation amenities. The ship runs on a barebones crew that sleeps on bunks in the main hallway and only the captain has some small personal quarters. There's no holodeck, science labs, or families and civilians being tugged along into a warzone. If you want to hang out with friends or spend your days killing and/or loving everything in the holodeck you need to complete your mission so you can go back to port. It was a nice change of pace from the luxury yachts with guns vibe that the TNG-era ships have.

Of course, Worf being a Klingon weeaboo, lives on it by himself even when it is docked and just listens to Klingon opera at deafening volume while staring at the blank metal walls.

It was a shame they didn't have the budget to make a more military Enterprise-D for the alternate timeline in Yesterday's Enterprise. Then again, it was weird that they didn't have a counselor onboard but still had a bartender.

e: Thinking about it, they could have used the model of the main hull without the saucer section.

Sunswipe has a new favorite as of 16:20 on Jun 3, 2018

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

B-Rock452 posted:

When I was in middle school I was at a con and I got food poisoning and threw up right in the middle of the floor. Nana Visitor took me to a back room and found me a ginger ale. I can't picture Kevin Sorbo doing that so you guys definitely won out in the end.

Aww

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Leavemywife posted:

He was also in Reaper, where he helped his buddy (who worked for the Devil) capture escaped demons.

That was a seriously fun show.

drat shame it died before its time.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
EDIT - okay, finally worked on the third try. Weird.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Samuringa posted:

That show went places. Turns out the protagonist was actually the son of the Devil, his step-father dies, returns as a zombie and they send him to Hell to spy on Satan, Sock - the guy you were talking about - gets into an anime "She's my step sister" plot and actually sleeps with her, the other friend eventually begins dating a demoness, and in the last episode of the second season(That ended up being the last one) the main character challenges the Devil for his girlfriend's soul but as he is almost winning his angel buddy appears and breaks his hand because God told him so and he loses.

Almost got it. After it was cancelled they did some interviews and he wasn't actually Satan's kid. His dad was a demon who fell in love with a human and gave up being a demon. Only since he wasn't a human he couldn't really die which was why he came back as a zombie

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Reaper was super good and I am really upset it was cancelled. The leads all had really solid chemistry with each other.

And Michael Ian Black as one half of a gay demon couple that started a demon rehab group to oppose the Devil. Ray Wise was an excellent devil, too, being intimidating and menacing without any overt anger.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

I just totally ready Worf's dialogue in Michael Dorn's voice and it made me ridiculously happy.

Dorn does a lot of voice acting for superhero cartoons and he's fabulous at it. He's Kalibak in JLU and they couldn't have found a better fit.

He also owns a jet!

El Gallinero Gros has a new favorite as of 17:48 on Jun 3, 2018

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Dorn does a lot of voice acting for superhero cartoons and he's fabulous at it. He's Kalibak in JLU and they couldn't have found a better fit.

He also owns a jet!

He’s one of the default male human npc voices in World of Warcraft: Worf is really a bank teller in Stormwind.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Leavemywife posted:

Reaper was super good and I am really upset it was cancelled. The leads all had really solid chemistry with each other.

And Michael Ian Black as one half of a gay demon couple that started a demon rehab group to oppose the Devil. Ray Wise was an excellent devil, too, being intimidating and menacing without any overt anger.

That show was on Netflix for a minute when streaming started picking up, but it vanished before I finished it. I was so pissed, but it’s not like I would have gotten an actual conclusion. :smith:

Torquemada posted:

He’s one of the default male human npc voices in World of Warcraft: Worf is really a bank teller in Stormwind.

He was also in the FMV stuff for Emperor:Battle for Dune

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Ugly In The Morning posted:

That show was on Netflix for a minute when streaming started picking up, but it vanished before I finished it. I was so pissed, but it’s not like I would have gotten an actual conclusion. :smith:

He was also in the FMV stuff for Emperor:Battle for Dune

I think it's on Hulu now?

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Leavemywife posted:

Ray Wise was an excellent devil, too, being intimidating and menacing without any overt anger.

With smooth-talking huckster mixed in. You knew he was up to something, but he knew exactly what to say to convince you.

Season 2 is where it really picked up. Season 1 was OK.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Davros1 posted:

Pretty sure by TOS and whatnot, everyone in the Federation were well aware of the dangers of alcohol and willingly avoids it.

Counterpoint: Saurian Brandy.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Len posted:

I think it's on Hulu now?

Just season 1, though, for some reason.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

Opened my eyes.

mojo1701a posted:

With smooth-talking huckster mixed in. You knew he was up to something, but he knew exactly what to say to convince you.

Season 2 is where it really picked up. Season 1 was OK.

Lucifer is probably the most consistently fun casting I've seen, it's always a good time when they let an actor have fun with the role

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Samuringa posted:

Lucifer is probably the most consistently fun casting I've seen, it's always a good time when they let an actor have fun with the role

I could never for the life of me understand why they had to marry the Lucifer concept with a police procedural though. It's a pretty stunning lack of imagination.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Volcott posted:

No aliens blew up florida with a laser.

Time aliens. May have hated us for our freedoms.

The thing that will always grind my gears about that: Aliens that humanity has barely even heard of are secretly building a weapon that will destroy Earth entirely, and they decide to test a prototype by sending it to Earth and carving a strip down the Eastern seaboard.

If they'd tested it almost anywhere else, their actual plan probably would have succeeded.

datajugend
Jan 15, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
The acting in Lucifer gets better? I watched season 1, still no clue why i finished it.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I believe the Synthehol thing in Star Trek TNG was because Gene Roddenberry was a recovering alcoholic and didn't want to have his utopian characters drinking actual booze.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

datajugend posted:

The acting in Lucifer gets better? I watched season 1, still no clue why i finished it.

I gave up on Lucifer after the rapper scene in the first episode.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I watched one episode of Lucifer and I continue to make fun of my friend's bad taste.

Lord Sexatron
Aug 1, 2003
I know the Vertigo comic it's based off would be basically unfilmable but jesus they could have done better than some plain rear end police procedural.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Did the show explain why the devil would care about solving crimes?

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Alhazred posted:

yep.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Sunswipe posted:

It was a shame they didn't have the budget to make a more military Enterprise-D for the alternate timeline in Yesterday's Enterprise. Then again, it was weird that they didn't have a counselor onboard but still had a bartender.

e: Thinking about it, they could have used the model of the main hull without the saucer section.

a bartender is even more necessary during wartime

like in M*A*S*H*

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I mean I sort of get it. Police procedural is probably the safest format in the history of television, so if you’re worried about any weird show concept not working you can pretty much just wed it to the procedural format and be on your way

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Alhazred posted:

hey everyone gets bored eventually

(I assume this is not the real reason)

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Maxwell Lord posted:

I believe the Synthehol thing in Star Trek TNG was because Gene Roddenberry was a recovering alcoholic and didn't want to have his utopian characters drinking actual booze.

He was a bomber pilot, an airline pilot, and a cop, so I would be honestly surprised if he didn’t have massive substance abuse problems.

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Is it handsome in here, or is it just me?

DACK FAYDEN posted:

hey everyone gets bored eventually

(I assume this is not the real reason)

You're more generous than I am because I assumed that was 1000% the real reason.

How about a lawyer show where the devil tries to get everyone the death penalty so he can rack up more souls?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Fumaofthelake posted:

You're more generous than I am because I assumed that was 1000% the real reason.

How about a lawyer show where the devil tries to get everyone the death penalty so he can rack up more souls?

But if the Devil gets the killers released, he'll get even more souls.

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Is it handsome in here, or is it just me?

Krispy Wafer posted:

But if the Devil gets the killers released, he'll get even more souls.

I assumed a network procedural wouldn't really truck with an "everyone is damned" premise and assume only criminals go to hell, but I like the way you think.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Fumaofthelake posted:

I assumed a network procedural wouldn't really truck with an "everyone is damned" premise and assume only criminals go to hell, but I like the way you think.

Season 3 episode 4, the Devil balks at getting a school shooter free with the realization the damned to saved ratio isn't in his favor.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
When I hear about 'Lucifer' I can't help but think about that fake show in '30 Rock' where God becomes a detective.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

FELD1 posted:

When I hear about 'Lucifer' I can't help but think about that fake show in '30 Rock' where God becomes a detective.

I love God Cop.

God: "I have an idea. Let us pray."
Partner: "To who?!"

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
If Brimstone had just come out 10-15 years later, it'd probably have been fairly successful.

The gimmick of The Devil as a Detective seems so far removed (from what little I know of the Lucifer comic and TV series) from the original comic that I wonder why someone just didn't pitch that and dump the whole nightclub/comic book connection. It seems like that is enough.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The weird thing about Lucifer is how him being the devil never helped solve any cases. You could have changed his backstory to just be a charismatic, successful and slightly shady nightclub owner and most of the show would be exactly the same.

The show wasn't really that bad but that was mostly because of the actors being fun and not really the stories.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I wish I could have taken a photo but the electronic billboard by the megachuch by the freeway was showing an ad for Lucifer a few weeks ago. :laugh:

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

mojo1701a posted:

I love God Cop.

God: "I have an idea. Let us pray."
Partner: "To who?!"

This is why I can't bring myself to give the show a chance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.

Detective No. 27 posted:

I wish I could have taken a photo but the electronic billboard by the megachuch by the freeway was showing an ad for Lucifer a few weeks ago. :laugh:

#[country]LovesLucifer was trending on twitter when the last season began and boy, did people throw a shitfit over it.