Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

uvar posted:

These tips are great, but where are all the life hacks for used pasta water? Pouring that starchy thirst quencher down the sink seems so wasteful!

Why you should never throw away the water you use to cook pasta

PASTA lovers who regularly cook the Italian dish will be used to immediately tipping the leftover water down the drain.
But that’s actually a mistake, as the starchy water can be put to good use.
Here are six ways it can benefit your home.

1. Watering your plants and flowers
Water which pasta has been cooked in is full of starch, which is often rich in minerals and vitamins.
That content makes it helpful for growing plants and flowers, so use it to water the garden.

Just make sure you avoid watering plants with water that’s been salted, and let it cool before you put it on any soil.

2. Making your own pesto sauce
Most people can’t dive into a bowl of pasta without a spoonful of pesto.
The remaining pasta water can help you make it — ensure it’s kept warm and it’ll act as a bonding agent.

3. Making homemade pizza dough and bread
As the water retains some of the flavours and starch from the pasta, it’ll give your homemade pizza dough, or bread, a new and unique taste.

Similarly, use it to make broths or soups and you’ll get an extra flavour punch. It’s good for boiling vegetables in too.

4. Washing your dirty dishes
You might think using pasta water to wash dishes would leave them filmy, but the starch actually dissolves grime and acts as a natural cleaning agent.
All you need to do is leave dishes soaking in it for a bit first.

5. Soaking your sore feet
If you have sore feet at the end of a long hard day then this novel treatment might just be the one for you.
All you have to do is warm up your spaghetti water to a comfortable temperature and pop your feet in.
The heat combined with the minerals will soothe aches and pains.

6. As a replacement for shampoo
If your hair lacks shine or looks flat then soaking it in the water for 10 minutes could help.
After that shampoo as normal and you’ll be amazed at the gleam you get.
This isn’t the only cooking tip to sweep the web in recent months.
Chef Fabio Viviani recently urged people to stop putting oil in their boiling water when making pasta.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
Also, if you are cooking soba, save the water as a drink on the side. This is called soba-cha. It will be gross if the soba has a low buckwheat to wheat ratio, so only do it with decent soba.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

twoday posted:

Also, if you are cooking soba, save the water as a drink on the side.

That's ironic, because drinking the water off your pasta seems like the kind of idea you'd only come up if you'd been drinking.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

twoday posted:

1. Watering your plants and flowers
Water which pasta has been cooked in is full of starch, which is often rich in minerals and vitamins.
That content makes it helpful for growing plants and flowers, so use it to water the garden.

Ooh, that actually sounds like a pretty good--

twoday posted:

Just make sure you avoid watering plants with water that’s been salted

WTF

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Boiling pasta in unsalted water sound like something that would induce a heart attack in any Italian mama worth her salt (haha), by the mere mention of it.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
Lifehack! Cook your pasta with oil and without salt! The oil will swim on top of the water so it won't even touch the pasta, but at least the pasta will taste like poo poo because you didn't put any salt in!

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

KozmoNaut posted:

Boiling pasta in unsalted water sound like something that would induce a heart attack in any Italian mama worth her salt (haha), by the mere mention of it.

Olive Garden doesn't salt their pasta water, per company policy.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Olive Garden doesn't salt their pasta water, per company policy.

Which is why Olive Garden is the whitest restaurant.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Iron Crowned posted:

Which is why Olive Garden is the whitest restaurant.

Second-whitest. Skyline Chili beats it.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Phanatic posted:

Thankfully Skyline is quarantined to Ohio and surrounding states.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Phanatic posted:

Skyline Chili, while sill basically being a whites-only restaurant, does now have spicy cheese making it massively less white than previously and allowing others to vye for the crown.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Do restaurants like that even have pasta water? I assumed that everything came in frozen/canned and they just heated it up.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

Do restaurants like that even have pasta water? I assumed that everything came in frozen/canned and they just heated it up.

They heat it up in water.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Use your pasta water to make wall paper paste imo.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Screaming Idiot posted:

LIFEHACK: EAT ALL THE FOOD IN ONE SITTING SO YOU DON'T HAVE TO BOTHER WITH LEFTOVERS OR LIVING INTO YOUR 40'S
A+ username/post combo

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Yawgmoth posted:

A+ username/post combo

He's pretty good at those, but I don't know if it's intentional.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I just realized I want a videogame whose loading screen hints take the form of life hacks.

Life Hack: Eat food to recover health!
Life Hack: Shoot enemies in the head to do more damage!
Life Hack: Seek the Crystal of Phanaria in the depths of the Dungeon of Porg!

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Samuringa posted:

Just like hot dog water, you freeze it into ice cubes and put in drinks of visiting people you don't like

This kills the bib.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Dareon posted:

I just realized I want a videogame whose loading screen hints take the form of life hacks.

one of the loading screen hints from Krush Kill n Destroy was to look out for bugs in your glass when you go drink something at night

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Dareon posted:

Isn't that basically Gauntlet?

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Also save all your pickle juice for when you're really hungover.

om nom nom
Jul 23, 2011

om nom nom nom nom nom nom
Grimey Drawer

This is like 50 posts ago but if you're going to do that you may as well just pour the water out while holding the spaghetti in with a spatula

Edit now that I've read the rest of the thread:

Most/good restaurants cook 10lb pasta at a time to very al dente, producing a lot of pasta water, then cool it down, then do the last couple minutes of cooking by heating up your pasta in the pan of sauce that the cook has made when you order it. Or they have a pot of hot water to finish the cooking before it's topped with marinara or tossed in mac and cheese sauce or whatever that was made earlier (or bought I suppose if we're covering our bases) and heated up in small batches for dinner service.

om nom nom has a new favorite as of 07:23 on Jun 5, 2018

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Dareon posted:

To defeat the Cyberdemon, shoot at it until it dies!

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Kaethela posted:

To defeat the Cyberdemon, shoot at it until it dies!

Lifehack: the Cyberdemon is huge, which means it has huge guts!

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Lifehack from DOOM 4 loading screen. Not a lost art!

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice
I can't figure out how to get a section link on this stupid thing, but there were some pretty normal tips back in Office 97: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Easter_eggs_in_Microsoft_products

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Plinkey posted:

Also save all your pickle juice for when you're really hungover.

Also save it to brine chicken in before you fry it. It's how Chik-fail-a does it.

One weird trick homophobic restaurants that you shouldn't support don't want you to know!

Fake edit: the "fail" typo was this iPad's autocorrect; I'm not only leaving it in there but stealing that joke. #Lifehack: have your crappy tablet make equally crappy humor for you!

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Lifehack: the Cyberdemon is huge, which means it has huge guts!
RIP AND TEAR

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
This is a life changer.

If you only have one bathroom at work, then you go first thing in the morning and piss all over the seat.

When you have to poop later that day, you can come back and if there is still piss all over the seat, then you know that nobody else's rear end has touched it.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Same but with your desk.

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Also save it to brine chicken in before you fry it. It's how Chik-fail-a does it.

One weird trick homophobic restaurants that you shouldn't support don't want you to know!

Fake edit: the "fail" typo was this iPad's autocorrect; I'm not only leaving it in there but stealing that joke. #Lifehack: have your crappy tablet make equally crappy humor for you!

In what way is Chick-fil-A food bad? Their politics are bad, but their chicken is v good.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

How did that can opener end up working out for you?

loving AMAZING. I forgot to say thanks for the suggestion!

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

No problem. That thing changed my life and I have no idea why it's not the universal standard design.

incoherent light
Aug 15, 2014
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPu7_3IWjkY

hack 1: make a prison shank!
hack 2: toilet paper your hair
hack 3: fffffffffffffff

They cook steak with an iron, make a cup-o-soup with some beef inside a cooked bird, put tin foil in the toaster. Then they move on to syringes.

I just got to the part where they use condoms but for the all the wrong reasons.

mozman
Nov 3, 2010

a very wet possum posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPu7_3IWjkY

hack 1: make a prison shank!
hack 2: toilet paper your hair
hack 3: fffffffffffffff

They cook steak with an iron, make a cup-o-soup with some beef inside a cooked bird, put tin foil in the toaster. Then they move on to syringes.

I just got to the part where they use condoms but for the all the wrong reasons.

Every single steak hack cooked that meat to oblivion. :(

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Hurt Whitey Maybe posted:

In what way is Chick-fil-A food bad?

Nobody said it was.

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Witness the assless man and despair!
All futures point to a world of filled holes.

mozman posted:

Every single steak hack cooked that meat to oblivion. :(

Alot of people willingly order their steak cooked to oblivion.

e: oh poo poo! Please don't start the steak derail!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Rysithusiku posted:

Alot of people willingly order their steak cooked to oblivion.

e: oh poo poo! Please don't start the steak derail!

A good piece of meat intentionally cooked well done can be very good. Not my preferred option, but not bad. Somehow I doubt that wrapping a bit of steak in foil and leaving it in the toaster for ten minutes is going to result in anything good.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Also that one with the blow torch just turned it to straight up charcoal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost
I just wanted to see the reasoning behind pouring nail polish into a condom.

Ofc it's clickbait.