Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Vox Nihili posted:

i mean, you can say that all you like, but it doesnt actually make it so. its an open legal matter and the prevailing quasi-consensus (insofar as there is one) is that self-pardons aren't recognizable because you can't assume the role of judge over your own case

Real talk, if he fuckin gutted She-Huck like an elk at the Daily Press Briefing, and immediately pardoned himself, assuming he does have the right, would there then be no legal recourse? sure, impeachment, but you couldn’t get justice for her grieving father, Smilin’ Mike Huckabee?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Political scientist here. Just wanted to jump in and say this is a fantastic digestible explanation. GG guys, keep 'em coming.

These videos would be much better without that stupid voice filter. Not watching it because of that.

Lambert has issued a correction as of 08:33 on Jun 5, 2018

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

this video does not properly explain the role of money in politics, the primary business constituency of the two parties, and how policy implementations go almost entirely with what the business and wealthy want while basically ignoring everyone else. the video makes it seem like complete corruption is not the norm of the system and that politicians and the political filter are honest people trying to do the best they can within the confines of a game

the other explanations are okay but give outsized importance to them instead of talking about the inherent corruption of the system [and also inherently how you can't have democracy under capitalism]

I still like Richard Wolff's explanation of the process and the inherent 'game theory' better:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REPaxBX9LGo&t=4313s

comedyblissoption has issued a correction as of 08:31 on Jun 5, 2018

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Extra Credits has the dumbest "analysis" videos I've ever seen and that's when they tackle trivial poo poo like game design, I'm never loving watching their take on politics.

Cursed video.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

we already have done this in this thread like 5 times but no, her support for modi's fascism is disgusting

She's still one of like 5 Dems out of the 240 in congress to take radical positions like our war in Yemen is bad or perhaps the US being the world police isn't a good idea. She has her flaws but lets not pretend that the overall Dem position on foreign policy is anything other than atrocious. There are very few people in congress willing to challenge our insane foreign policy in totality and she is one of them.

MaxxBot has issued a correction as of 08:41 on Jun 5, 2018

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Phone posted:

idk being bffs with modi is kinda :stare:

every world leader is bff with modi

not that its good, but nobody is going to enact poo poo against india even if they elect a Real Aryan Hitler

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

MaxxBot posted:

She's still one of like 5 Dems out of the 240 in congress to take radical positions like our war in Yemen is bad or perhaps the US being the world police isn't a good idea. She has her flaws but lets not pretend that the overall Dem position on foreign policy is anything other than atrocious. There are very few people in congress willing to challenge our insane foreign policy in totality and she is one of them.

hi this doesn't excuse being besties with a loving fascist

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

quote:

"Bernie would have won" I shout over and over as I shrink into a klansman.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
but what about her thirst for Muslim blood

and remember that time she visited Assad.....for some reason?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Oh Snapple! posted:

hi this doesn't excuse being besties with a loving fascist

[extremely whataboutist voice] which member of Congress isn't currently besties with a loving fascist? (besides Bernie)

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
"don't let perfect be the enemy of good"

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I will give this to Gabbard; she is at least changing it up a bit and is besties with different fascists than most other members of Congress.

(If I were a single-issue foreign policy voter I'd burn my social security card and go find some distant Amish cousins to couch-surf with.)

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Morning suck zone. Today was primary day and I was able to vote for some Medicare for All supporting candidates for all the contested positions so that was pretty cool. But jesus christ we need to come up with a better solution than having retirees run poll stations. Iowa has apparently switched over from pen and paper to electronics for registration when you come to the polling place, likely because of our stupid new voter suppression ID law. They were using ipad minis and the old guy and old lady working them could not figure them out at all. Even just to start they open up to the app they have to sign people in and it says "press home button to continue". The old lady kept pressing and holding the home button, turning the ipad off. She thought it was broken. I got her to just tap the button (to her credit she was trying as hard as she could, she just didn't have any tools to troubleshoot) and it worked. Then it wanted to scan my drivers license, which it did by having me put it in a plastic thing they had attached to the ipad. It worked, I selected a democratic ballot, it printed off a receipt for me to sign (which is a whole different thing that will probably break at some point today), they handed me a scantron, and off I went.

But they couldn't get it to work for anybody else. I spent about ten minutes trying to help them get through for the lady behind me. We eventually got her DL to scan but the "which ballot do you want" screen kept coming up empty. After a few tries of that she said "I don't understand, I'm a registered republican!" and I admit that kind of killed my desire to help even though this is just a primary election so it isn't like there's any impact to me whether she votes or not. So I tried like one more thing and then just said I had to go to work.

Its a good thing I had some time to spare because otherwise I wouldn't have been able to vote. Who knows if they're ever going to figure it out. And god help them if something actually jams or breaks today.

If you're going to switch away from pen and paper it should be required that you involve actual Human Machine Interface experts that design a system that would be completely obvious and unbreakable even if someone has never seen a touchscreen before.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Thoguh posted:

Morning suck zone. Today was primary day and I was able to vote for some Medicare for All supporting candidates for all the contested positions so that was pretty cool. But jesus christ we need to come up with a better solution than having retirees run poll stations. Iowa has apparently switched over from pen and paper to electronics for registration when you come to the polling place, likely because of our stupid new voter suppression ID law. They were using ipad minis and the old guy and old lady working them could not figure them out at all. Even just to start they open up to the app they have to sign people in and it says "press home button to continue". The old lady kept pressing and holding the home button, turning the ipad off. She thought it was broken. I got her to just tap the button (to her credit she was trying as hard as she could, she just didn't have any tools to troubleshoot) and it worked. Then it wanted to scan my drivers license, which it did by having me put it in a plastic thing they had attached to the ipad. It worked, I selected a democratic ballot, it printed off a receipt for me to sign (which is a whole different thing that will probably break at some point today), they handed me a scantron, and off I went.

But they couldn't get it to work for anybody else. I spent about ten minutes trying to help them get through for the lady behind me. We eventually got her DL to scan but the "which ballot do you want" screen kept coming up empty. After a few tries of that she said "I don't understand, I'm a registered republican!" and I admit that kind of killed my desire to help even though this is just a primary election so it isn't like there's any impact to me whether she votes or not. So I tried like one more thing and then just said I had to go to work.

Its a good thing I had some time to spare because otherwise I wouldn't have been able to vote. Who knows if they're ever going to figure it out. And god help them if something actually jams or breaks today.

If you're going to switch away from pen and paper it should be required that you involve actual Human Machine Interface experts that design a system that would be completely obvious and unbreakable even if someone has never seen a touchscreen before.

The last time I voted somewhere in person, I ended up in the middle of this weird tug-of-war where one person would tell me to wait where I was, another would motion me forward, then the first person all "I told you to wait there". This repeated a few times over.

When I got home I looked up the state's absentee ballot process.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
Have any dems started sucking off Howard Schultz to run for office? Seems like the thing to do

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.

docbeard posted:

I will give this to Gabbard; she is at least changing it up a bit and is besties with different fascists than most other members of Congress.

(If I were a single-issue foreign policy voter I'd burn my social security card and go find some distant Amish cousins to couch-surf with.)

Is anybody in Congress actually good on FP other than Barbara Lee? (btw, if she's down with some overseas fascists please don't tell me...someone has to be good, right?)

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

I can't wait to call the ex Obama guy who bought this election a pussy to his face if he holds a town hall.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
he’s totally going to be the Bloomberg of 2020 if Bernie gets the nom

https://twitter.com/aseitzwald/status/1004001286084325387?s=21
https://twitter.com/aseitzwald/status/1004002329249636352?s=21

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

navyjack posted:

Real talk, if he fuckin gutted She-Huck like an elk at the Daily Press Briefing, and immediately pardoned himself, assuming he does have the right, would there then be no legal recourse? sure, impeachment, but you couldn’t get justice for her grieving father, Smilin’ Mike Huckabee?

most likely, yes

but is it really that unusual for a millionaire to get away with murder? you

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

:thermidor:

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

my first instinct was not to watch and I feel vindicated now.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
this guy is near indistinguishable from the dude that did the SOTU rebuttal from inside a diner

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
https://twitter.com/gzornick/status/1004005975131553793

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

gradenko_2000 posted:

this guy is near indistinguishable from the dude that did the SOTU rebuttal from inside a diner

except that he's a billionaire who played a big role in a famous company and is leveraging that to buy favorable coverage from the media

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Main Paineframe posted:

except that he's a billionaire who played a big role in a famous company and is leveraging that to buy favorable coverage from the media

And this is somehow the best he can do. Yeah, I see great things in his futur...

...he's totally going to be the 2020 nominee, isn't he?

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

docbeard posted:

And this is somehow the best he can do. Yeah, I see great things in his futur...

I knew Schultz was gonna be prime succ matieral but wow...this loving guy

At least Zuck was in favor of UBI

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

docbeard posted:

the instant he announced his retirement, every single news outlet mentioned possible presidential ambitions, usually at the same time

we're gonna get Schultz/Biden 2020, I bet

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

navyjack posted:

I would furiously google how to nominate someone for a peace prize

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/NarangVipin/status/1003780728272904192

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

navyjack posted:

In all seriousness, it's very much an open legal issue.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Listened to the Dianne Feinstein dollop eps
She sucks rear end

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rq3QXIVR0bs

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Lawman 0 posted:

Listened to the Dianne Feinstein dollop eps
She sucks rear end

She's worse than many Republicans, lmao

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Vox Nihili posted:

Yeah like :holymoley:

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Vox Nihili posted:

That can't be right, Obama endorsed her re-election so she must be good.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
political consultants are extremely smart

https://twitter.com/michaelwhitney/status/1003739078712594433

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

This is like the Democrats singing when Republicans voted to kill Obamacare. I don't get it! It would be one thing if the people who would rather have nuclear war than Trump get good press were like, frothing at the mouth anti-Republicans, but they aren't They're the same decorum-crats who love compromise and bi-partisanship. They really want to win, but only if they can win through Republicans scoring own goals. Why do you even care about winning if you don't try to win and if you don't do anything when you win?

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I refuse to believe that anyone outside of New York gives a poo poo about Bloomberg or knows who he is.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

im bloomberg's midwestern stronghold, a region well known for its love of effete costal liberals

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

docbeard posted:

I refuse to believe that anyone outside of New York gives a poo poo about Bloomberg or knows who he is.

and yet they said NY would go Bernie

friggin' weird

moral of the story is consultants are idiots

• Locked thread