Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

PT6A posted:

Make it untenable for them to express their opinions in any public venue by metaphorically ripping off their head and making GBS threads down their neck anytime and every time they try to promote hatred and xenophobia.

This looks good now until the Republicans hold the House and Senate in 2018 and Trump wins re-election in 2020 because the Democrats still haven't built any serious platform to run on other than "Trump is bad"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012

Tertiary Stresses posted:

People who vote for these populists are lovely people, and economics are a minor indicator of shittiness and likely a cover for the real reasons. Both the Brexit and 2016 vote provide great examples.

For Brexit, the major common reason to vote Leave was immigration control. And it turns out that the Leave voters were driven by values, not economics. Since the decisions are being made based on values, facts don't have to line up for them to be supported.

Looking at the rise of Donald Trump, multiple studies have pointed out that status threats, personal values, and straight up racism and sexim, were the main drivers for voting. Certainly not economics. Even scarier is the fact that for those racists, they would abandon their democratic values if they perceived non-whites were benefiting from it.

In general, people who vote for populists are voting based on their values and their desire to maintain those values as the dominant social standard by punishing those they deem as Others. I'm not convinced that economics is such a major driver that fixing that problem would prevent the rise of the values voter and the continued growth of populist politics. Just that fact that they view the civil rights gains of LGBT and people of colour as threatening to their status is enough to drive them towards embracing lovely candidates. In general, if you vote for a lovely candidate, you are probably a lovely person.

Where do those values come from though? People aren't just born believing in the death penalty (referring to the Brexit article). Why are the people who hold these values now able to elect US governments and fascist parties in Europe? Something must have changed.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Jimbozig posted:

If your excuse for voting for a fascist is "I wasn't motivated by the idea of a literal gestapo rounding up brown people and putting them in literal concentration camps! I just don't care if our government does that." Then you are in fact enormously racist.

Yes, but we're not supposed to acknowledge that because they didn't specifically vote for the concentration camps. They voted for the increase in income they'd have once all those folks were rounded up, which is definitely different.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jun 5, 2018

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

tagesschau posted:

This is a very roundabout way of revealing that you've read the infobox on Wikipedia and nothing else. There's a reason it took more than five months to form the government.

You act like 163 seats is a small number, but that's nearly a quarter of the house, and more than were won by any party not headed by Angela Merkel. Paths to a coalition that represents a majority of the house disappear very quickly in that scenario. If an election were held today, the largest two parties (CDU/CSU and SPD, who form the current grand coalition) might actually fall short of a majority and require the help of a third; Die Linke and the AfD would gain seats.

When was the last time a party in Germany has won an outright majority in government and hasn't had to negotiate a coalition to form government? If I read your original post correctly you are arguing against PR because the AfD make it harder to form government in Germany when that is an outlier in one of the most stable democracies in the world.

Dukemont
Aug 17, 2005
chocolate microscopes

infernal machines posted:

The arguments against PR are that democracy simply doesn't work. Maybe we can hope for a benevolent autocrat.

It’s exactly this.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Jimbozig posted:

If your excuse for voting for a fascist is "I wasn't motivated by the idea of a literal gestapo rounding up brown people and putting them in literal concentration camps! I just don't care if our government does that." Then you are in fact enormously racist.

Don't forget the always-fun "people calling me racist made me join the neo nazis"

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
PCs joining the Libs in campaigning for the NDP
https://twitter.com/spaikin/status/1004001045926694912

With bonus shade throwing upon the widow Ford

Tertiary Stresses
Jul 27, 2007

vyelkin posted:

You're right, but the point is that higher levels of inequality leads to higher status anxiety. And I don't just mean economic inequality. That tends to be what we study, because it's easiest to measure, but inequality manifests along every line you can think of: economic (both income and wealth), gender, sexual orientation, race, nationality, geography, etc., etc. To grossly simplify, as inequality worsens, the different rungs on the social status ladder get farther apart, and we become more anxious about where we stand relative to others. Of course, that status ladder isn't solely determined by economics, but economic conditions exacerbate other forms of status. Here's a passage from a recent article that I think illustrates this fairly well:

In my opinion, everything you said in your post is pretty accurate, but you're pointing at symptoms rather than the underlying cause. We live in a grossly unequal society divided along numerous lines, and that makes people anxious about their status. For straight white men, especially, seeing others climbing the status ladder is particularly threatening because all of those categories have granted unearned privilege in the past, and losing that privilege means a relative loss of social status, which is made more valuable by the economic problems of our unequal society. The easiest way to preserve this status is to punch down by keeping down those who are currently asking to rise up to that level, whether by fighting gay equality, preserving sexist norms in workplaces, discriminating against people of colour, etc., rather than the much more difficult fight of trying to raise your own level relative to those above you.

Also, a lot of the racism and sexism and desire for immigration control and so on, I would argue, is driven by a scapegoating effect rather than by inherent racism and sexism. In Britain there has been decades of right-wing propaganda about how terrible the EU is, how terrible immigration is, and how the EU and immigration are responsible for Britain's problems. Now, we could argue all day about what's actually responsible for Britain's problems (I would argue neoliberal austerity and globalization have played a much greater role) but what matters are perceptions, not reality--this is true of both inequality and values-identity voting preferences. In a situation of high inequality (not just economic but racial, class, etc.) and scapegoating against the EU and immigration, people respond by punching down with racism (trying to maintain status relative to immigrants), and by acting against the thing they perceive as the cause of their status anxiety (immigration and the EU).

I think the major cause of almost everything we're talking about is status anxiety, not economic anxiety. Status anxiety can play out economically but also regularly manifests along lines of race, sex, gender, nationality, and so on. But, again, I don't think it's enough to say "okay, status anxiety is the problem" because where does the status anxiety come from? It comes from inequality:

I totally agree that inequality can be a driving factor for status anxiety. And I believe that addressing the inequality is a major step that we have to take as a society. I'm just not convinced that it is the major contributor to the problem of populism. If you look at the history of racist politics, it always occurs when those with less status push for more equality. An example is the rise of Confederate Monuments. The majority of them were built during the Jim Crow era. The next biggest spike was during the Civil Rights movement. Both were a form of pushback by openly racist politics and occurred during different economical conditions. Even here in Ontario, one can look at the election of Mike Harris in part as a response to the social progress made by Rae.

There is also a long history of racist exclusion of Blacks and other people of colour from labour movements, during times of hardship or ease. And look at the treatment of Ida B Wells by other women in the suffrage movement.

The intersection of economic equality, racism, gender, sexuality, and other identifiers is complicated. I just think that the economic portion plays a smaller role than the general racism and that addressing economics will do very little to appease the significant portion of white society driven by their values for white supremacy. At best, improving economic status for everyone reduces some peoples tendency to embrace racism, but aggravates those who fully embrace their prejudices to hate the fact that PoC and women benefited from the economic boost as well.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

Well, the good news is we seem to be heading in that direction, the bad news is there's a lot of 'em and they're getting madder because of it.

The arguments against PR are that democracy simply doesn't work. Maybe we can hope for a benevolent autocrat.

pure democracy doesn't work though

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Typo posted:

What does that mean

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
"The worsening conditions for almost all but the very rich is leading to an increase in populism, racism and other forms of tribalism! They're even advocating for rounding up immigrants and minorities and putting them into prison!"

"The solution is obvious; gently caress white men and also hire more women guards."

Half this thread nods and applauds.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

What is pure democracy?

PR isn't direct democracy, it's just more granular representation than FPTP. It's not as if the extremist elements disappear when they can't form a party, they just become the radical wings of established mainstream parties. They're still there, their MPs/MPPs still get seats, but based on brand recognition of the larger organization.

EvilJoven posted:

"The solution is obvious; gently caress white men and also hire more women guards."

Why is it you think acknowledging social justice means this?

What part of "white men have considerable privilege over other demographic groups in our society, maybe it's time we gave others a leg up too" translates to "well gently caress me then" in your mind?

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jun 5, 2018

Dukemont
Aug 17, 2005
chocolate microscopes

Typo posted:

Every previous civilization on earth and thus every type of government has collapsed at one point or another.

It's not about whether it 'worked' or not.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Dukemont posted:

Every previous civilization on earth and thus every type of government has collapsed at one point or another.

It's not about whether it 'worked' or not.

but certain government types worked a lot better than other ones, constitutional parliamentary monarchies for instance works a lot better than absolute monarchies, even if both collapses at some point

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

DariusLikewise posted:

This looks good now until the Republicans hold the House and Senate in 2018 and Trump wins re-election in 2020 because the Democrats still haven't built any serious platform to run on other than "Trump is bad"

this is because the democrats don't actually care that much about what trump's doing, they're only mad that he's being rude about it

hell obama was doing a lot of the same poo poo, he just wasn't doing it as openly

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
Obviously you can advocate for economic equality and social issues simultaneously. Liberal politicians don't do the former because it's going to take away their ticket to getting rich.

The hosed up thing is that the part of the electorate that are racist, white supremacist, whatever will still vote for progressives if its in their economic best interests to do so. To take the states as an example, a friend of mine canvassing in Pennsylvania in 2008 got a lot of "yeah don't worry, we're voting for the <n-word>" style responses from white households because Obama was was perceived at the time as the best economic hope for them at the time. 8 years later Pennsylvania went Republican and not because misogyny against Clinton overwhelmed racism against Obama, but because, given power, the Democrats had thrown the working class to the wolves while protecting the financial sector from retribution. loving Texas sent Democrats to their senate till the 90s until Bill Clinton's full neoliberal takeover of thr party and destruction of the old union base handed it over to the Republicans.

Tldr, terrible racist people can, have and will vote for progressive/left wing candidates as long as they offer economic hope for them. Given the choice of nothing but lovely neoliberalism everywhere, they'll indulge their worst impulses. That's how you get Brexit and Trump. Mark Blyth had a great video with corresponding stats to back it up but I forgot how to find it.

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
THE SPEECH SUPPRESSOR

Remember: it's "antisemitic" to protest genocide as long as the targets are brown.

DariusLikewise posted:

When was the last time a party in Germany has won an outright majority in government and hasn't had to negotiate a coalition to form government? If I read your original post correctly you are arguing against PR because the AfD make it harder to form government in Germany when that is an outlier in one of the most stable democracies in the world.

The only time it happened was Adenauer in 1957.

What evidence do you have that the AfD is an outlier? They and Die Linke are polling higher than their performance in September.

Dukemont
Aug 17, 2005
chocolate microscopes

Typo posted:

but certain government types worked a lot better than other ones, constitutional parliamentary monarchies for instance works a lot better than absolute monarchies, even if both collapses at some point

By what metric did these governments 'work' better than others, is it stability? longevity? because they restricted democracy?

Who did these governments work better for?

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
Fascism is primarily an ideology of the scared middle class.

Also the main argument against PR based on fears of fascism completely fails when it's obvious that lacking this, fascists just infiltrate and take over mainstream right wing parties and drive them to the right. Congrats, you managed to avoid having an official nazi party by ensuring that your conservatives are putting power in the hands of an actual nazi anyway.

quote:

They work very good at upholding privilege

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Dukemont posted:

By what metric did these governments 'work' better than others, is it stability? longevity? because they restricted democracy?

if the fact that constitutional monarchies worked better than absolute monarchies isn't obvious to you I don't think it's productive to explain it or go into a post-modernist definition defining roundabout

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

DariusLikewise posted:

because the Democrats still haven't built any serious platform to run on other than "Trump is bad"

they kinda have actually:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2018/05/29/immigration-dominating-gop-tv-ads-house-contests/638063002/

quote:

Democrats, meanwhile, are bombarding voters with ads that promise to protect Obamacare, shore up Social Security, and expand Medicare, the data from Kantar’s Campaign Media Analysis Group (CMAG) shows.

“We need Medicare for all, to make absolutely certain that what happened to my family never happens to yours” California Democrat Paul Kerr says in on TV spot that begins by recounting how his family was financially devastated by medical bills after his mother was diagnosed with Lou Gehrig’s disease. Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders championed that kind of single-payer universal health care system in the 2016 election.

The competing messages demonstrate just how far apart the two parties are. They’re not just talking about key issues differently; they’re touting completely different issues to motivate activists and win hotly contested primaries.

“It sometimes feels like the two parties are talking to two different countries,” said Kyle Kondik, a political analyst with the University of Virginia’s Center for Politics.

And in many ways, they are, especially in primaries, Kondick said. He notes that Republicans are appealing to a whiter, older, more rural electorate, while Democrats are courting a more diverse, younger, urban constituency.

The GOP focus on immigration is particularly striking, given that it was not among the top 10 issues Republicans were spending their ad dollars on at this point in the 2014 midterms. In that cycle, GOP contenders were attacking then-President Barack Obama, bashing the Affordable Care Act, and promising to rein in government spending.

Now, immigration ranks second only to pro-Trump spots in GOP campaigns across the country — and just by a smidgen. The reason is simple, says Brian Murray, a GOP consultant based in Arizona.

Democrats are basically running on the traditional platform or defending and expanding government programs, the national democratic party is garbage at messaging but individual candidates are doing pretty well at it

tekz posted:

loving Texas sent Democrats to their senate till the 90s until Bill Clinton's full neoliberal takeover of thr party and destruction of the old union base handed it over to the Republicans.

that's more a dixiecrat holdover than anything: southern democrats they voted for were pretty economically right-wing and signed onto President Reagan's tax cuts and neoliberalism by the 1980s

https://www.nytimes.com/1981/07/30/business/reagan-s-3-year-25-cut-in-tax-rate-voted-by-wide-margins-in-the-house-and-senate.html

quote:

In a decisive victory for President Reagan, the House of Representatives today approved the Administration's tax cut bill.

The measure provides for three years of reductions totalling 25 percent in individual tax rates and major reductions in taxes paid by business and by oil producers.

The key vote, 238 to 195, gave Mr. Reagan a third upset victory over the Democratic House majority on fiscal issues. The President won by virtue of the same coalition of Republicans and Southern Democrats that brought him victory in May on the budget resolution and in June on the budget reconciliation bill.

But I digress, dun wanna turn this into another USPOL chat thread

Typo fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jun 5, 2018

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

PCs joining the Libs in campaigning for the NDP
https://twitter.com/spaikin/status/1004001045926694912

With bonus shade throwing upon the widow Ford

Why is "for the people" written in Orange? Is Doug an NDP plant!?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Arcsquad12 posted:

Why is "for the people" written in Orange? Is Doug an NDP plant!?

The "READY TO GOVERN" refers to the PC and is thus in blue. The "FOR THE PEOPLE" refers to the NDP and is orange.

I don't know why Ford did that, but kudos for his relative honesty :v:

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

What is pure democracy?

PR isn't direct democracy, it's just more granular representation than FPTP. It's not as if the extremist elements disappear when they can't form a party, they just become the radical wings of established mainstream parties.

OTOH it's way harder for them to appear in parliament because fringe parts of the population are distributed throughout large areas, it's harder to crack the ~30% barrier or so you need in a multiplicity of ridings than it is for those 5-10% to simply vote Trillium or w/e and get that much percentage of the seats in the legislature no matter where they are located

it could also be argued that PR reduces the incentive for coalition building and lead to to a much more fractured legislature, and thus things pass alot less.

quote:

They're still there, their MPs/MPPs still get seats, but based on brand recognition of the larger organization.

Internal party discipline means they are unlikely to be able to hold the budget or regular government actions hostage to their own weird agendas, the party whip can force their vote when push comes to shove. This is much more relevant in parliamentary systems (as oppose to america) where parties still hold a lot of power over their caucuses.

Dukemont
Aug 17, 2005
chocolate microscopes

Typo posted:

if the fact that constitutional monarchies worked better than absolute monarchies isn't obvious to you I don't think it's productive to explain it or go into a post-modernist definition defining roundabout

I understand your point but I fundamentally disagree. I don't think that the people are necessarily better represented under a constitutional monarchy than an absolute monarchy, or that one objectively 'works' better than the other.

Can you definitively say that a constitutional monarchy will be of more benefit to the people than an absolute monarchy? Or does it just continue to represent those with power at the expense of those without?

I ask with what metrics you judge whether a government 'works better' than another because what is the ultimate end here?

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/CBCPolitics/status/1004060708550606849

Cautious optimism! :)

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
So weird, all the tweets from this account other than retweets are NDP/York, nothing on other policies or PCs

https://twitter.com/OntLiberal/status/1004033078283546625

https://twitter.com/OntLiberal/status/1004067922287955968

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

Tertiary Stresses posted:

I totally agree that inequality can be a driving factor for status anxiety. And I believe that addressing the inequality is a major step that we have to take as a society. I'm just not convinced that it is the major contributor to the problem of populism. If you look at the history of racist politics, it always occurs when those with less status push for more equality. An example is the rise of Confederate Monuments. The majority of them were built during the Jim Crow era. The next biggest spike was during the Civil Rights movement. Both were a form of pushback by openly racist politics and occurred during different economical conditions. Even here in Ontario, one can look at the election of Mike Harris in part as a response to the social progress made by Rae.

There is also a long history of racist exclusion of Blacks and other people of colour from labour movements, during times of hardship or ease. And look at the treatment of Ida B Wells by other women in the suffrage movement.

The history of organized labour and racism contains plenty of dark chapters and yet unions were often major proponents of expanding civil rights and making them a plank of the Democratic party platform. The CIO and UAW played a significant role as members of the New Deal coalition in setting the stage for the Democratic party to become the principal champion of civil rights from the 1960s onward.

This isn't to say that unions or the labour movement should be immune from criticism for the significant and enduring racism they've perpetrated at various points in their history up to the present day, but on the balance they were an important force for fighting racism and for making anti-racism a distinctive part of post world war II liberal ideology in the United States. Go back to the pre-New Deal era before organized labour was a major player and it's more often than not the Republicans who are closer to being an anti-racist party. Organized labour played a role in changing that.

quote:

The intersection of economic equality, racism, gender, sexuality, and other identifiers is complicated. I just think that the economic portion plays a smaller role than the general racism and that addressing economics will do very little to appease the significant portion of white society driven by their values for white supremacy. At best, improving economic status for everyone reduces some peoples tendency to embrace racism, but aggravates those who fully embrace their prejudices to hate the fact that PoC and women benefited from the economic boost as well.

What do you suppose the role of Fox News, right-wing talk radio, the billionaire funded alt-right/alt-light and various other paid media provocateurs have played over the last few decades? How does your analysis account for the fact that wealthy individuals defend their inequitable share of society's wealth by lavishly funding and providing platforms toward prominent racist right-wingers?

MikeSevigny
Aug 6, 2002

Habs 2006: Cristobal Persuasion
So what else is going on in Ontario this week

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

MikeSevigny posted:

So... she has to take June and July off?

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

MikeSevigny posted:

so this is an analogue for the election right? except for the part where she loses her license obvsly

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

tekz posted:

I'd say the "harmless centrists" seem to be getting more and more right wing with each year.

I'd agree that all the major parties move further in support of big business every year. Just like the Dems in the USA, more and more they are committed to loving regular people to help out big business. The Libs in Canada haven't gone further right on social issues, but have definitely been more and more about big business above all else. You could even say the NDP under Mulcair was going further right economically then historically they would have.

The only good thing I can really say about Canadian politics on a federal level in the past 5 or 10 years is that by and large, some progressive issues such as gay marriage and abortion aren't even really discussed anymore, they are just now a defacto standard in Canada.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
The libs on social issues are merely do-nothing rather than all out opponents. Gay marriage was almost entirely done in the judicial. The federal trans rights bill came from the NDP.

Their being do-nothings also means they'll back security theater nonsense like C51 (or very slightly less bad C51, take 2) with regularity if they think it will let them get votes from terrified suburbanites. It also means they have no problem shooting and maiming first nations protesters at the pipelines so long as it doesn't look too bad.

Also seriously the main way in which constitutional monarchies are a superior government form is that they can be better at staving off revolution. Not that it saved the July monarchy and it probably won't save the Spanish Bourbons in the long run either because all that means is that they found this one clever trick to save their privileges (republicans and absolute monarchists hate them).

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

tagesschau posted:

The only time it happened was Adenauer in 1957.

What evidence do you have that the AfD is an outlier? They and Die Linke are polling higher than their performance in September.

Polls between elections are mostly meaningless and change trends fairly fast depending on the mood of the country. The AfD is an outlier simply based off the last 70 years of German elections, do you think that FPTP would have given them more or less seats?

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Agnosticnixie posted:

Also seriously the main way in which constitutional monarchies are a superior government form is that they can be better at staving off revolution. Not that it saved the July monarchy and it probably won't save the Spanish Bourbons in the long run either because all that means is that they found this one clever trick to save their privileges (republicans and absolute monarchists hate them).

Canada has a constitutional monarchy

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Typo posted:

So far so good on the revolution front!

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Kevin O'Leary is going to try and get election laws changed because he's a huge loving moron that racked up half a million in debt over a leadership campaign.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/politics/article-kevin-oleary-says-hell-go-to-court-to-challenge-election-laws-over/

quote:

Kevin O’Leary says he is prepared to go to court to fight Canada’s election laws that prevent him from personally paying down debt from his failed federal Conservative leadership bid.

Mr. O’Leary, who has retained veteran securities lawyer Joseph Groia, said he wants to be able to pay back small-business owners who are suffering financially after providing services for the campaign, while the celebrity businessman tries to raise money for his bid, which racked up nearly $530,000 in debt.

“I’m doing this for the basic reason to try and ensure that I’m going to pay these people, because there’s no guarantee my fundraising will be successful,” Mr. O’Leary said in an interview.

After a high-profile fundraiser in Toronto in April sold fewer tickets than expected, Mr. O’Leary estimates he has raised about $130,000. According to the Canada Elections Act, candidates can contribute only $25,000 to their own campaigns, and a failure to repay campaign debts within three years could result in fines and up to three months in jail.

Mr. O’Leary said the fact that he can’t repay small vendors when he has the money himself is “so un-Canadian somebody has to shine a light on it.”

“I realize how unfair this is. I’m going to take it as far as I can take it. If it goes to the Supreme Court I’m okay with that,” he said.

In the meantime, Mr. O’Leary said he is planning more fundraising events in the fall and is launching a website, Wonderfunder.com, to solicit donations that he will match to the Canadian Olympic Foundation.

Jordan Owens, director of communications for Democratic Institutions Minister Karina Gould, said elections laws are based on the idea of a fair and level playing field, and limits on contributions and expenses “reduce the possibility of undue influence in our democracy.”

“Mr. O’Leary is subject to the same rules as all other leadership candidates. While he may be facing difficulty paying off his leadership debt 14 months after dropping out of the Conservative leadership race, he knew what the rules were when he decided to run,” she wrote in an e-mail.

In a letter to the commissioner of Canada Elections and the chief electoral officer sent late last week, Mr. Groia asks the top officials to revisit a previous request to allow Mr. O’Leary’s media company, O’Leary Productions, to loan the campaign $300,000, after attempts to secure bank loans were “unsuccessful.”

Mr. Groia - who successfully defended a man charged in one of Canada’s biggest stock-market frauds - called the current provisions of the law “constitutionally unsound.” He said many past leadership candidates have been unable to pay back a vast majority of campaign expenses, exposing them to potential prosecution and incarceration.

“We believe that this risk, along with the unreasonably low contribution limits allowed in leadership campaigns, are clear violations of candidates’ free speech, liberty, and voting rights under the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms,” he wrote in his letter.

In an interview, Mr. Groia said that even if Mr. O’Leary is granted an exemption for the loan, the more likely remedy “is for the court to say this legislation is so bad it should be struck down.”

A spokeswoman for Commissioner of Canada Elections Yves Côté said the office does not confirm receipt of specific complaints, nor disclose whether it is conducting an investigation.

Meanwhile, a spokesman for Liberal MP Francis Drouin said Mr. Côté’s office has confirmed there will be no investigation into Mr. O’Leary’s fundraising practices. Mr. Drouin had asked the commissioner to investigate whether Mr. O’Leary broke the law when he held a fundraiser with his U.S. TV co-stars and promised to match the $2,000 ticket price with donation to a taxpayer-funded program for athletes.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

DariusLikewise posted:

Polls between elections are mostly meaningless and change trends fairly fast depending on the mood of the country. The AfD is an outlier simply based off the last 70 years of German elections, do you think that FPTP would have given them more or less seats?

I'm going to stave off that answer by saying the outright numbers would look worse in FPTP: AfD won the popular vote in Saxony outright on list seats and would probably have swept most of the state rather than just 3 rural districts. It would also have been in a position to win majorly in states where it got none of the district seats by virtue of winning the popular vote there.

quote:

And one failed revolution in the 19th century that contributed to the broader adoption of constitutionalism and entrenched the royal family.

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

Yeah, I'm really not down with them getting rid of the financing your goddamn campaign laws that keep the super rich from ruling Canada any more than they do.

That said, I love watching Kevin O'Leary flounder, goddamn I hate that guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Typo posted:

it could also be argued that PR reduces the incentive for coalition building and lead to to a much more fractured legislature, and thus things pass alot less.
PR encourages coalition building in parliament, where every party is clearer about what they represent and makes relatively public compromises in the name of their voters. FPTP encourages coalition building within the party, forcing voters to pick from two or three predetermined coalitions and often masking the truth of those compromises and making disagreement over the extent of those compromises much harder to break. It's incredibly rare for coalitions in a FPTP system to break, especially when in power, so those coalitions over time tend to drift towards the views of those in power and the voters have to keep supporting that coalition until well past a natural breaking point. In the long term PR coalitions of opportunity are much healthier, even if occasionally they can look uglier or more frustrating.