Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

By the way, just fyi, this stuff

is good as gently caress on pulled pork (it’s good as gently caress on a lot of things).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler
Well, thought I'd finally try the whole 3-2-1 thing the internet talks about when I did ribs today. Normally just throw em on, do the bend test, pull 'em, and mow some delicious ribs.

But holy hell did these get overdone with 3-2-1. I even went 3-1.5-1 because of timing with dinner, and they were still completely falling apart trying to cut them. Bones literally falling out with light pressure with the knife between bones (Gitmo take note this could be what you're after). I didn't even put liquid in the foil to avoid an overly braise-y cook, but drat. I knew they were looking overdone out of the foil, and I only went the full last hour because i wanted to recover some bark from the foiling. WSM was between 220-235 for 95% of the cook and they were real meaty ribs.

I'm going back to my normal method. I want a clean bone, but with a tish of bite to get it off. Oh well, the meat was still tasty as hell and I was impressed with how the last hour really barked up what was a pretty soupy looking surface after the foil.

The bones in the image were a result of cutting the meat, not eating them clean.

In retrospect, I probably should have put the ribs 6" over white hot coals to help char em up and hold em together.... :pseudo:

ROJO fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Jun 4, 2018

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

QuarkMartial posted:

Hey, thanks. I finally managed to read this. I've been wanting to make ribs, which my wife doesn't like, so I think I might use it on some ribs.

How necessary is the pestle? I don't have one, and my coffee grinder is a bitch to clean, so I won't use that either.

For what it's worth I do have a food processor

Not necessary at all - use whatever you want. I just buy my spices whole whenever I can, so I crush them because I can and it's easy cleanup - I've used a coffee cup and spoon before as a makeshift pestle.

Finished product after 10 hours at 225f. (~6hours of smoke). Taken up to 185f because I like to slice it into chunks rather than pull it.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Bottom Liner posted:

My dog made better BBQ than Gitmo

24 hour sous vide and 4 hour smoke, used Carolina Cooker dry rub, but can't seem to find it online to link. A+ delicious stuff.

RIP poor doggo...

Please don't smoke your pets people!

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Funny enough, she got a big snack of it because I knocked a plate off the counter :lol:

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Trastion posted:

RIP poor doggo...

Please don't smoke your pets people!

Yeah but the bark so good

bastardInABasket
May 22, 2001
Fun Shoe

ROJO posted:

But holy hell did these get overdone with 3-2-1...

I still haven't tried the 321 method, but I think the times are usually meant for spare ribs. I've read that others do shorter times (2-2-1?) for baby backs.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

RisqueBarber posted:

Made some pulled pork sliders. Don't worry, I smashed them real flat for extra taste.

Mmmmm, now that's good eats.

Picked up a costco salmon slab. Currently resting in a ton of brown sugar salt and red pepper.
Decided to get the smallest filet they had as we always ended up with way too many leftovers.

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jun 5, 2018

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

VERTiG0 posted:

On another note, I'm doing Meathead's Asian pork belly burnt ends banh mi. I've got a 5lb belly cubed, deskinned and in the rub vacuum sealed in the fridge for the night. Yesssss...

Update: incredible recipe. Everyone was rushing back for more, I ran out of everything and I thought I had way too much. Definitely doing this again and again and again.

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

Hell yeah, I love pork belly. Gonna give it a try.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
This is more about grilling than smoking, but since it's still about wood pellet grills and I can't find a barbecue/grilling thread:

How versatile are wood pellet grills like Traeger? I've only ever worked with gas grills, but I just moved to an apartment building where building code forbids any gas tank larger than 1lb. :nallears:

Traeger wood pellet grills seem like they can only get slow cooking action, which is nice, but I was wondering if there's a solution (electric or otherwise building code compliant) that might also let me sear nicely.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

They don’t sear at all. You’re welcome to check mine out anytime (and living somewhere I could only have an electric smoker is why I own it).

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.
Caught up with some buddies for a binge on Saturday. One had one of the tiny traegers and did wings and steaks. Granted we were sloshed, but it was some of the worst most lackluster cook I have had, a step above microwaving the food.

Tonight's smoke, forming pellicle:

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Jun 5, 2018

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
As someone with a Camp Chef pellet smoker who loves the darn thing, please don't grill on it. If you have to, smoke it on a low temp for a little while then pan fry it to finish off if you want a sear.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

Jan posted:

This is more about grilling than smoking, but since it's still about wood pellet grills and I can't find a barbecue/grilling thread:

How versatile are wood pellet grills like Traeger? I've only ever worked with gas grills, but I just moved to an apartment building where building code forbids any gas tank larger than 1lb. :nallears:

Traeger wood pellet grills seem like they can only get slow cooking action, which is nice, but I was wondering if there's a solution (electric or otherwise building code compliant) that might also let me sear nicely.

So, I'm a little unsure about this. Codes prohibits gas grills with tanks larger than 1lb. Do they also prohibit small charcoal grills? Something like this is what I'm talking about.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Usually places that are that strict about propane tanks also have a "no open flames" rule that means you can't use wood or charcoal.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

My area is no bigger than 1lb on balcony or use electric grill/smoker. You can store 20lb tanks on the Lower or by building but must be 10ft away when grilling over open flame. No charcoal because people are retards and don't know when they are actually fully 'off'.

When I was at a less strict place (that doesn't nab coal grills from you or call you and say move it or get fined) I'd grill 10 feet out. Finish and keep in place, close all dampers, keep closed for 3 hours.. pull off top and blow onto the coals and feel for heat then move on to attached patio after also dousing with a watering can just in case. Probably overkill but I didn't want to be the guy that burned down a complex with my charcoal grill.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Hasselblad posted:

One had one of the tiny traegers and did wings and steaks. Granted we were sloshed, but it was some of the worst most lackluster cook I have had, a step above microwaving the food.

Yeah that was a dumb idea.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Chemmy posted:

They don’t sear at all. You’re welcome to check mine out anytime (and living somewhere I could only have an electric smoker is why I own it).

Yeah, that's what I thought. :saddowns:

Going to have to either settle for indirect heat/slow cooking or guerilla grill and hide a 5/10lb tank in a planter or something. :ninja:

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Jan posted:

Yeah, that's what I thought. :saddowns:

Going to have to either settle for indirect heat/slow cooking or guerilla grill and hide a 5/10lb tank in a planter or something. :ninja:

I find smoking easy on my Weber and obviously you can sear with it too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ec-sn5ON7jo&t=126s

I use fire bricks and skipped paying $200 for a slow and sear.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Indolent Bastard posted:

She lives in an apartment and can't have charcoal.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Chemmy posted:

She lives in an apartment and can't have charcoal.

poo poo. I saw the 1lb. propane thing but missed charcoal. Boo :(

E: Can you store your grill on the balcony, but take it to the ground level to grill with? My brother could do this at one place he lived.

E2: Her post says nothing about charcoal, just propane.

Indolent Bastard fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jun 5, 2018

CoolHandMat
Oct 5, 2017
i got an electric Dyna-Glo 30 in. Analog Electric Smoker this christmas, and have sinced used it a half dozen times - pork shoulders and ribs. Everything eventually turned out awesome, but for some reason (probably due to outside temp under 30 F) i wasnt able to get the electric smoker much higher than 200 degrees, so everything took a few extra hours or i finished it off in the oven.

Is this common with electric smokers - heating issues? or should I credit the outside temp?

And lastly, should i be scrubbing out the liquid and woodchip tins? they are getting pretty gummed up.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Indolent Bastard posted:

E2: Her post says nothing about charcoal, just propane.

She can't have a charcoal grill on an apartment balcony which is true of pretty much every apartment balcony.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

CoolHandMat posted:

i got an electric Dyna-Glo 30 in. Analog Electric Smoker this christmas, and have sinced used it a half dozen times - pork shoulders and ribs. Everything eventually turned out awesome, but for some reason (probably due to outside temp under 30 F) i wasnt able to get the electric smoker much higher than 200 degrees, so everything took a few extra hours or i finished it off in the oven.

Is this common with electric smokers - heating issues? or should I credit the outside temp?

And lastly, should i be scrubbing out the liquid and woodchip tins? they are getting pretty gummed up.

Not sure on the dynaglow, but if you get the 40" Masterbulit electric smoker (MES)you get a better electric "burner" with it.
I've not had an issue but haven't used my MES in super cold, you can try and wrap it up a little in an old blanket or something (Just keep a hole open for the vent.) I did this with my crappy old brinkman charcoal smoker when it was middle of winter. (Although there was also enough snow that I actually built a bunker around it. Get a goodwill blanket and insulate.

Yeah I usually try and scrub my liquid one every time.. the wood chip I just dump and rinse quickly.. but the liquid one can have lots of gross fat and crap in it so I try and get her clean.

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Jun 5, 2018

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Chemmy posted:

She can't have a charcoal grill on an apartment balcony which is true of pretty much every apartment balcony.

I was just shocked that a traeger would be OK, but not a Weber.

But I get your point.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Given what's been posted, I'm going to second this:

arisu posted:

As someone with a Camp Chef pellet smoker who loves the darn thing, please don't grill on it. If you have to, smoke it on a low temp for a little while then pan fry it to finish off if you want a sear.

Reverse searing works great.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Indolent Bastard posted:

But I get your point.

Traeger at my place (in the same town) skirted the rules a little. They say no open flame (so no charcoal, propane, etc.) but electric smokers like the masterbuilt are ok. The Traeger works a little differently to those electric smokers but because it plugs into the wall and you can't see fire anywhere from the outside nobody really cared.

My HOA changed their bylaws after I had it for a year and told me "no smokers at all" and I sent them a letter saying I understood but would like to be reimbursed for my smoker and they never contacted me again. Shrug.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Indolent Bastard posted:

But I get your point.

i'd be surprised if it was allowed, depending on location. Most apartment fire code /or complex rules are no charcoal, Wood pellet is just a technicality and they may get pissy since you've still got wood on fire.

edit: Why the gently caress can't you grill in your backyard.. loving HOA's are terrible. What harm are you doing cooking with a gas grill/ charcoal / smoker.. making people hungry.
I understand apartment rules for charcoal / big propane tanks.. having them on a balcony if they leak / catch fire would be devastating to the building. Likewise having a moron who finishes grilling and moves their grill to the patio again and catches the plastic siding on fire because it's still hot. With propane when you turn it off it's not going to smolder for hours.

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jun 5, 2018

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

CoolHandMat posted:

I haven't yet had a problem with my MES 30'' (like the other poster said, has the smaller heating element) and I've done a couple of smokes in sub-freezing temp. I haven't had the need to go too high, but it has definitely done higher than 200 F in those circumstances. I'm sure it's just a function of your specific heating element and the degree to which the smoker is insulated.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

Indolent Bastard posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ec-sn5ON7jo&t=126s

I use fire bricks and skipped paying $200 for a slow and sear.

Did you contour those fire bricks, and what is that silver lining on the bottom of the grill opposite the coals?

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
drat I feel bad for some of y'all. I live in a real dense neighborhood and my landlord couldn't care less that I have a Weber SM on my patio. Hell, our upstairs neighbors have a 22 inch Weber on their balcony facing the street and no one's complained. We're probably only a few years out from Los Angeles banning charcoal tho.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Gorman Thomas posted:

drat I feel bad for some of y'all. I live in a real dense neighborhood and my landlord couldn't care less that I have a Weber SM on my patio. Hell, our upstairs neighbors have a 22 inch Weber on their balcony facing the street and no one's complained. We're probably only a few years out from Los Angeles banning charcoal tho.

are you in a house or a complex.. generally complexes have different fire rules depending on number of units etc.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
My townhome complex has a "no charcoal grills" rule with our HOA. No one has complained about my MES with AMNPS, and all the other owners here are pretty obnoxious.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

VERTiG0 posted:

Did you contour those fire bricks, and what is that silver lining on the bottom of the grill opposite the coals?

That's not actually my picture. I just used image search.

I didn't bother contouring the bricks. Too much hassle and I didn't see it as a big issue to not have it contoured. The silver is to stop air flow (I think) I just use foil. Plus it stops drips from messing up your grill. You can also set a water pan in that space to keep longer cooks moist.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

Indolent Bastard posted:

You can also set a water pan in that space to keep longer cooks moist.

So there's an area of debate. I often see people say that water pans add moisture to the cook, and others that say that a water pan simply acts as a heat sink to stabilize spikes. Heat stabilization I know is true from personal experience, but I've never seen any data to back up the other. On my WSM I used the water pan starting out, then moved to a terra cota saucer, and now I don't use anything in the pan at all. I know my WSM well enough to avoid/roll with the spikes and when to catch it on the way up so it doesn't overshoot the temp I want.

What say you all?

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Canuckistan posted:

So there's an area of debate. I often see people say that water pans add moisture to the cook, and others that say that a water pan simply acts as a heat sink to stabilize spikes. Heat stabilization I know is true from personal experience, but I've never seen any data to back up the other. On my WSM I used the water pan starting out, then moved to a terra cota saucer, and now I don't use anything in the pan at all. I know my WSM well enough to avoid/roll with the spikes and when to catch it on the way up so it doesn't overshoot the temp I want.

What say you all?

Living in a stupidly arid area, I definitely notice a difference when I do long cooks when there is humidity (the rare times a storm may come through) in the air. Stands to reason that a water pan may help keep humidity in the cook. Also may very well cause the smoke to adhere better?

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

Canuckistan posted:

What say you all?

I've never used a water pan, mainly because I haven't had the space on my Weber and my PBC didn't have a rack for one until I modded it. I would also like to see if other posters have noticed a difference with a water pan, specifically on longer cooks like pulled pork or brisket.

I find there's so many variables in each cook, and rarely do I do the same recipe, that it's hard for me to tell if something tasted better because of a, b, or c. I feel like my most successful cooks are ones where I was the most patient.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.

Canuckistan posted:

What say you all?

I don't really use the water pan on my WSM much anymore either. You do have to wrap it in foil though or the grease becomes a huge pain to clean off after burning to the bottom of the bowl. I have heard of a lot of people filling it with sand for heatsink purposes, but you also then don't have to line it with foil as the sand will just absorb the grease.

Maybe if you're cooking ribs (unwrapped) or a brisket flat you'd want the water for moisture, but a full packer or butt have more than enough fat to keep them moist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

in my MES I use my water pan most of the time.. It also is a nice way to catch the drippins and clean instead of the bottom tray which is harder to clean off in my sink.