Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Better
This poll is closed.
John Zandig 107 75.35%
DJ Hyde 35 24.65%
Total: 142 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
The bad bad boy is going to have a sad sad chest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Joey just faced Walter on Sunday too.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

pco won at spring break

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

apparently EVOLVE uses (or has used in the past) Cooter's license, and this may gently caress over their next NYC show in a couple weeks (and even PROGRESS in August). it's possible they might have their own tho, Bix is doing the investigation things

https://twitter.com/davidbix/status/1002335643664633856

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

lol if you think most wrestling promoters are savvy enough to navigate bureaucracy

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
https://twitter.com/WOLiveOnline/status/1002692553903403010

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

Was waiting for you to post it.

hosed up.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

abraham linksys posted:

apparently EVOLVE uses (or has used in the past) Cooter's license, and this may gently caress over their next NYC show in a couple weeks (and even PROGRESS in August). it's possible they might have their own tho, Bix is doing the investigation things

https://twitter.com/davidbix/status/1002335643664633856

If Gabe doesn't know how to get a license at this point, he should retire.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

weren't a bunch of indies using his promoters license? Sad to hear either way.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

coconono posted:

weren't a bunch of indies using his promoters license? Sad to hear either way.

Back in the Gabe days he was often the Philly promoter for ROH. He often used it to book himself on the show.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
https://twitter.com/davidbix/status/1003097550126272517

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
In more regular news:

https://twitter.com/DavePrazak/status/1003085718200176646

https://twitter.com/MikeQuackenbush/status/1003093187332886528

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Último Dragón looks amazing and moves pretty well considering his age and how long he's been wrestling

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
https://twitter.com/fromAMMO/status/1003073330742784000

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Was PCO selling any merch?

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

So is Quack retiring yet or what? It's kinda amazing that Ultimo is still wrestling when people younger than him have retired.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Jenkem Delivery posted:

Was PCO selling any merch?

not sure but the venue decided not to sell alcohol right before the show started

that went over well

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
Canadian indie stalwart Franky the Mobster is on trial for drug trafficking:

http://www.journaldemontreal.com/2018/06/02/acteur-accuse-de-complot-pour-trafic-de-drogue

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

rovert posted:

http://www.journaldemontreal.com/2018/06/02/acteur-accuse-de-complot-pour-trafic-de-drogue

Welp took long enough for the media to catch on

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
Why would you do this unannounced?

Also: Holy poo poo, is that Sonny Oono?

BaldipISW
Mar 28, 2012

frankenfreak posted:

They’d already sold the show out in full ages ago, so there was really nothing to gain in advertising it in advance. Plus, a rare opportunity to do something this cool for a friend and mentor.

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

rovert posted:

Most disgusting bacne I've ever seen in my life.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

EugeneJ posted:

not sure but the venue decided not to sell alcohol right before the show started

that went over well

Given the show racked up at least three fan injuries, wise decision in retrospect. Crazy show. only made it through the opening round matches and its already chaos.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

rovert posted:

man, I used to boo the everloving poo poo out of this guy at ROH shows like a decade ago.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

TV Zombie posted:

So is Quack retiring yet or what? It's kinda amazing that Ultimo is still wrestling when people younger than him have retired.

My impression is he's more or less retired as a full time worker and just does personal dream matches like this and some school stuff? But I haven't paid a lot of attention to Chikara since their "death and rebirth" so maybe I missed him coming back full time.

Ishin
Dec 31, 2008

~the animatronic spirit of
so many forgotten waves
https://twitter.com/johnblud/status/1003149264279818240

Yeah, I need to watch this

Qoey
Jun 2, 2014

STAC Goat posted:

My impression is he's more or less retired as a full time worker and just does personal dream matches like this and some school stuff? But I haven't paid a lot of attention to Chikara since their "death and rebirth" so maybe I missed him coming back full time.

Buoncing off of that, Chikara's buzz has died as far as I've been able to tell. Is anything worthwhile still happening with them? Last I was paying attention, they tried to give Missile Assault Ant a tragic backstory involving killing a bus full of kids, or something like that? And of of the /r/squaredcircle mods had a chokeslam/backbreaker finish.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Qoey posted:

Buoncing off of that, Chikara's buzz has died as far as I've been able to tell. Is anything worthwhile still happening with them? Last I was paying attention, they tried to give Missile Assault Ant a tragic backstory involving killing a bus full of kids, or something like that? And of of the /r/squaredcircle mods had a chokeslam/backbreaker finish.

They've chilled on the meta-antics and have gotten back to doing really good Sunday Afternoon Wrestling. I'm not a devotee but I saw the show they ran on Powerbomb and it was pretty solid stuff. Unless you hate fun or something, its a good watch.

AmbassadorFriendly
Nov 19, 2008

Don't leave me hangin'

frankenfreak posted:

That was Sonny. He lives in Mason City, Iowa, and will sporadically come to indie events like this that aren't too far away.

Also I was there and the crowd went nuts for this but yeah, we only knew Quackenbush was going to be at the show and it had already sold out, so it didn't really sell any tickets.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Big surprises are really cool, wrestling needs them more often, not less!

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

the finals of the TOS3 are fuckin spectacle of dumb poo poo and I love it. Great show from top to bottom if you dig lacerations and swear words.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

STAC Goat posted:

Quack went a long stretch where he was "retired," but wrestled on the side as El Hijo del Ice Cream, which isn't the most physically demanding. He remained an on-air character as commentator and authority figure, coming back to wrestle for special matches like a series with Johnny Kidd or an angle culminating in Max Smashmaster's retirement match. Recently, he just put over the company's champion.

Qoey posted:

Those last two things are connected. The Squaredcircle mod is Kevin Condron, who appeared to be booking a huge chunk of his own angles, including the whole "Missile Assault Ant blew up a busload of children in Zimbabwe" thing. Then he moved to California, had less to do with the product and had a falling out because he no longer had the same level of creative control. The Missile Assault Man feud just sort of ended, Condron stopped showing up (while openly complaining on Twitter) and later got in a bigger argument with Quack over the rights to the Jervis Cottonbelly gimmick. Even though he was good in the ring, they never really figured out what to do with Missile Assault Man and he left the company last year.

As for what's been going on with the company in the last few years:

- After the whole Ashes storyline and its aftermath angle died down, they did a season-long stable-based double round robin tournament. It led to Kimber Lee's stable winning and she got the opportunity to Money in the Bank herself into being the champ later that night. They made a big deal out of how Kimber Lee and Heidi Lovelace held the two singles titles.

- A hilarious situation at one King of Trios where Fenix loudly screamed "gently caress YOU!" during one spot, which caused Quack to blow a gasket. Cooler heads prevailed the next day and Fenix's team ended up winning the tournament.

- A season-long storyline about much of the roster being mind-controlled into becoming an evil X-Men pastiche with UltraMantis Black as the wheelchair psychic leader.

- An interesting gimmick where they went from Season 16 (2016) to Season 18 (2017). They had filmed an entire 9-show season in secret and gradually released it as part of their streaming service. It explained title changes, heel turns, gimmick changes and allowed Kimber Lee and Lovelace to get some last-minute matches in before heading to WWE.

- Most of 2017 was a slog. Much of the roster had left, what remained was mostly new guys who hadn't found their footing, the angles weren't very interesting and they pushed a midcard heel (Juan Francisco de Coronado) as champion and have been putting him over established faces to the point that it's still happening with no end in sight. Even King of Trios was kind of theresince they went to England and the roster was made up of mostly guest teams. It was also the third KOT in a row to have a guest team vs. guest team final, which says a lot about the Chikara roster quality.

- 2018 has been a big step up in quality. To get more eyes on the streaming service, every Wrestle Factory show is streamed live. Nearly every show is there with exceptions being Infinite Gauntlet (their Royal Rumble) and King of Trios. The negative is that it means zero touring.

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.
Just FYI, the last OTT show had a main of Jordan Devlin and David Starr (as the BFFs, coming out to a joined DS intro, and We Belong by Pat Benatar) against Low Ki and WALTER. It's an incredible match, maybe one of the hottest in a very hot venue. Worth checking that out on the on Demand. The rest of the show was good, but that was spectacular.

Also who exactly is Dan Barry? He came out and said no one knew who he was, then he got like 20 minutes of nuclear Dan based chants. I've never actually heard of him.

Glass Punkbull 141
Jan 9, 2008

This is the face of a winner. This is what winning looks like.

Von Linus posted:

Also who exactly is Dan Barry? He came out and said no one knew who he was, then he got like 20 minutes of nuclear Dan based chants. I've never actually heard of him.

Formerly one half of Team Tremendous with Bill Barr, now leader of The Amityville Project. Mostly wrestles in Beyond.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

sportsgenius86 posted:

Threemendous V card

The Rascalz vs. The Young Bucks for the PWG world tag team titles
WALTER vs. Brody King
Matt Riddle vs. Marty Scurll
Dalton Castle vs. David Starr
Trevor Lee vs. Rey Fenix
Rey Horus vs. Penta 0M
Joey Janela vs. Jeff Cobb

cool to see penta and fenix back since it's been a bit and i'm sure penta/horus will kick rear end, but it feels too soon for king/walter, especially since it's non-title. admittedly i haven't been to a pwg show since brody started getting booked, but he's apparently crazy over already and people were going nuts specifically for the confrontation between him and walter during the ringkampf/violence unlimited match. i get why they'd want to capitalize on that quickly, but to me that's the match you book when it's time to get the title off walter, and keep them separate for a while so brody can get a few singles matches and become a more credible challenger. but i guess they've done the 'guy goes toe to toe with the champ and comes up short but prevails later on' angle a few times in the past.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Between his rising slot in PWG and the crazy hot storyline they just started for him in AAW, I'm confident that Brody King will be the next big thing in the indies.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Jack Anderson posted:

Formerly one half of Team Tremendous with Bill Barr, now leader of The Amityville Project. Mostly wrestles in Beyond.

He's also retiring in September, and he co-hosts a couple Highspots interview shows: one with Chuck Taylor called An officer and a gentleman, and one with Excalibur called A Gentleman and a Scholar. They're fun.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Jack Anderson posted:

Dan Barry also has some actual catch wrestling chops, so he's a solid as hell. Not super flashy outside of the comedy spots tho.

I say this about a lot of streaming services, but particularly of Chikara. if there were bundled as part of another streaming service, I would watch the hell out of Chikara right now. They got a good mix of new faces and seasoned vets. They storylines have chilled out so its wrestling first, paragraphs of backstory 2nd. The wrestling has improved tremendously. Even their greener hands can effectively take down opponents and move around the ring like they're supposed to be there.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

So does Chikara have a solid streaming service? Like is it worthwhile and practical to subscribe for a few months and binge the last few years because some of that sounds kind of fun and interesting.

Similarly, is anyone familiar with the CZW streaming service? I was binging some older CZW a year ago and more or less enjoying it so I've been thinking of doing the same binge subscription thing with them. But I got the impression the CZW service wasn't terrible well stocked or organized.

And are there any other companies who have services with banked years that are worth binging? I know NJPW but I like my english commentary. And ROH but it sounds like they don't have a lot of their stuff. WWN but it doesn't seem like they do much worth watching. There's the FiteApp but that seems like single purchases, not a monthly service fee thing. Anything else?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

STAC Goat posted:

So does Chikara have a solid streaming service? Like is it worthwhile and practical to subscribe for a few months and binge the last few years because some of that sounds kind of fun and interesting.

Similarly, is anyone familiar with the CZW streaming service? I was binging some older CZW a year ago and more or less enjoying it so I've been thinking of doing the same binge subscription thing with them. But I got the impression the CZW service wasn't terrible well stocked or organized.

And are there any other companies who have services with banked years that are worth binging? I know NJPW but I like my english commentary. And ROH but it sounds like they don't have a lot of their stuff. WWN but it doesn't seem like they do much worth watching. There's the FiteApp but that seems like single purchases, not a monthly service fee thing. Anything else?

NJPW has English commentary.

The early years of Progress are really good story wise and the wrestling is great too and everything they've done is up there. Recent stuff is still great in ring but the stories haven't been as engaging. wXw has some quality stuff and some real hidden gems in the archives and English commentary on their newer stuff. On their weekly show, any German promos are subtitled into English and it's about 50/50 between guys speaking English and guys speaking German. Stardom doesn't have commentary at all but all promos are subtitled into English.