Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Oxxidation posted:

doing the rayman legends daily challenges is an oddly soothing routine

Ditto. I just got a PS4 a couple weeks ago, loving BB from this thread's recommendations, but super surprised to be getting so much enjoyment from free Rayman. That game is right up my alley.

I could use a friend for that "Beat friends' scores 30 times trophy" so if anyone wants to add Pengwolff I'd be grateful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Its fixed

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

i think I’m going to get Detroit. other than the requisite weird bondage stuff it seems pretty good

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Mandrel posted:

i think I’m going to get Detroit. other than the requisite weird bondage stuff it seems pretty good

I'm trading in God of War to get it :grin:

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Finished Nier.

I will make an effort post once I have composed myself.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

VideoGames posted:

Finished Nier.

:f5:

Broshevik
Mar 25, 2011

No Pain

Penguin Patrol posted:

Ditto. I just got a PS4 a couple weeks ago, loving BB from this thread's recommendations, but super surprised to be getting so much enjoyment from free Rayman. That game is right up my alley.

I could use a friend for that "Beat friends' scores 30 times trophy" so if anyone wants to add Pengwolff I'd be grateful.

Just picked up Rayman too, I'll add ya. I'm Broshevik-

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

VideoGames posted:

Finished Nier.

I hope you made the right choice.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

VideoGames posted:

Finished Nier.

I’m excited! Get me hyped and I might reinstall and finish it :)

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
Oh man, one of the things I forgot about Bloodborne is how you slowly get drenched with blood as you kill more and more things. The graphic effect of just being slick with blood is so great.

Edit: Thinking about making a suicide run for the whirligig saw as soon as the DLC hooks into the main game. I miss that drat thing. :allears:

Oh, and I know everyone here recommends taking the saw cleaver as a starting weapon for beginners but the first time I played the game I took the axe and did just fine. The spin2win is a fantastic crowd control move which can be a huge lifesaver early on since it tends to be a lot harder to pull single enemies from a pack than in the Souls games. The noob trap weapon is the threaded cane which is actually a pretty cool weapon but you really need to have a decent handle on the combat system to use it very effectively.

...! fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jun 5, 2018

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Wow yeah.

The tearblast arrow is one of the most satisfying weapons to use in years

Man, the greatest thing is tearblasting off a ravager's cannon and using it against it.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The greatest thing is tearblasting off a scorcher's minelayer, stunning it, and planting every mine in a small cluster between it and you. Then it wakes up, charges forward, and you get a faceful of harmless flaming robot parts.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
lol so I got Yakuza 0 and 6 as a bundle because it was a super good price but I’ve never played a Yakuza game and from how people talk I feel like skipping anything would be a bad idea for someone who cares as much about story as me so guess I’m locked into buying five other games (depending on what happens with future Kiwamis)

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

haveblue posted:

The greatest thing is tearblasting off a scorcher's minelayer, stunning it, and planting every mine in a small cluster between it and you. Then it wakes up, charges forward, and you get a faceful of harmless flaming robot parts.

I think it's great that in the post-apocalyptic, technoprimitive world of Horizon Zero Dawn, the most lethal thing in the universe is still a pile of logs.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Escobarbarian posted:

lol so I got Yakuza 0 and 6 as a bundle because it was a super good price but I’ve never played a Yakuza game and from how people talk I feel like skipping anything would be a bad idea for someone who cares as much about story as me so guess I’m locked into buying five other games (depending on what happens with future Kiwamis)

They're not doing Kiwami versions of 3-5 but they are porting them to PS4 in 1080p/60fps. They just announced them a couple weeks ago for Japan, no word on a western release yet but I think it's pretty likely

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Escobarbarian posted:

All main series Yakuza games will be released on the PS4.

Kiwami 2, a remake of Yak2, is scheduled for August
Yak3+4+5 HD have been announced, but no Western dates set. Potentially at E3.

I'm sort of where you are and want to play every game in order. I absolutely adore 0.

With Yak0 play the story for the high octane drama, do side stories for high octane laughter

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

VideoGames posted:

Finished Nier.

:3:....:f5:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Ooh thanks for the info that’s very cool. Hopefully it means the remasters don’t take too long to come out either.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Yakuza 3-5 are very playable on PS3 IF you can handle long loading times. That's the biggest issue with them. 3 looks a bit rough but 5 holds up really well.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Escobarbarian posted:

Ooh thanks for the info that’s very cool. Hopefully it means the remasters don’t take too long to come out either.

they'll probably be about a year late in the states if the previous games are anything to go by. I doubt sega's gonna go hard on localizing the hd remakes fast

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Aren't they already localized?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I hope Dead Souls gets a PS4 release if everything else sells well.

Yakuza but with Zombies? Yes please.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmvidZ-zh0Q

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Aren't they already localized?

From what I understand they're relocalizing 3 in order to restore the content that was cut in the West, like the hostess clubs.

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

Is there a Detroit thread? Can't find one with Search.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3857901&perpage=40&pagenumber=7

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
OK. I am going to put this behind spoilers because I want anyone thinking of playing this to be as unaware of things as possible like me.

For those not wanting to be spoiler: I utterly adored every last thing about this game and I am easily placing it at #3 in my top 20 games of all time. I just this second bought the soundtrack also.

Hopefully this will not be too rambling.

For everyone else

Videogames [You're surrounded by enemies][Because of that,][I'm in your corner] [United Kingdom]

When I originally said I never played a game like this, I did not know just how correct I was. This is my first Yoko Taro game. I have heard very good things about him before starting this. It is also the first Platinum game that I have completed (I do own Bayonetta and have played a bit of that, but not to the end.)

Before ending E I had thought the best way to sum up Nier was the word Heartache. Every main character is driven by a kind of heartache and it is how I felt also. They had their individual heartache and I experienced the collection of their own as one.

The biggest heartache for me was having built a slide for Pascals village and pointing to Lady Videogames about how awesome it was watching the bots slide down, teleporting to the resistance base to hear Pascal saying the village was in trouble. I had originally panicked during Route A/B about the village as I had grown to love the place. (Third favourite music track!)

I had been playing the whole game only retaliating to those who attacked me. Any machine that was just wandering about I left totally alone. It seemed fair that way.

Returning to that village and witnessing the full on destruction filled me with the most dread. That dread intensified after Pascal's battle with Engels. When he asked that we check on the children I went cold and the horror I had suspected was real. It crushed me and I took nearly twenty minutes to decide what to do for Pascal.

I had to pause playing there because I had been so enamoured with these little bots that I had lost myself entirely in the game. I did not know how to continue and could not. Lady VG was concerned because I was so quiet for nearly the rest of the day - I could not stop thinking about it. It did not matter that they were just pixels in a game because that was not the point the game had been making. The emotional resonance had just been a resoundingly downbeat one but for good reasons.

This neverending war where both sides were pawns, were the same (more than I knew until the end of C) and their struggles to grasp what it meant to be. They all had some manner of heartache. They all acted 'human' despite what their original purposes were and it made all the difference.

But ending E changed everything for me. Ending E made me realise that I had not gone far enough. The one thing that is able to defeat heartache resounded throughout that amazing sequence.

As Nines and A2 lay there I hoped that was not the end and it clicked.

Hope is what this game truly was about.

When I had to destroy the credits on the off chance I could save their data, I was filled with hope that I could rescue my heroes. I desperately hoped I would be able to do it.

I kept dying to the names and it kept asking me if I wanted to give up and goodness! There was NO way I was going to bow out. I had come this far and done so much not to give up now. I would do it for hours if I had to.

Then that chorus kicked in and I was joined by other players. I started blubbing and I became a wreck. All my hoping had paid off and I had to realise that I was not alone. The weight of the world was not mine to bear alone. It never was.

When Pod 042 asked if I wanted to help another at the expense of my save data it was not even a choice. How could I turn away from someone needing my support. They had been there for me, and I was going to be there for them.

What you saw at the top of this spoiler was the message I left for whoever needed me to be there for them. I will be in their corner, always. That is what being human is about. Hope and the strength of supporting each other.

It was a glorious message wonderfully delivered and I feel richer as a person for having been able to experience it. It has been difficult to write this because I am still all over the place about it. I cannot tell if these are happy tears or sad tears but I am not think that matters.

Thank you, Yoko Taro.

Whew.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I'm tearing up just reading about someone else play through the game :unsmith:

And yeah the song is just perfect (don't listen if you don't know Ending E)

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
You should play Bayonetta to the end.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

VideoGames posted:

OK. I am going to put this behind spoilers because I want anyone thinking of playing this to be as unaware of things as possible like me.

For those not wanting to be spoiler: I utterly adored every last thing about this game and I am easily placing it at #3 in my top 20 games of all time. I just this second bought the soundtrack also.

For everyone else

Videogames [You're surrounded by enemies][Because of that,][I'm in your corner] [United Kingdom]

When I originally said I never played a game like this, I did not know just how correct I was. This is my first Yoko Taro game. I have heard very good things about him before starting this. It is also the first Platinum game that I have completed (I do own Bayonetta and have played a bit of that, but not to the end.)

Before ending E I had thought the best way to sum up Nier was the word Heartache. Every main character is driven by a kind of heartache and it is how I felt also. They had their individual heartache and I experienced the collection of their own as one.

The biggest heartache for me was having built a slide for Pascals village and pointing to Lady Videogames about how awesome it was watching the bots slide down, teleporting to the resistance base to hear Pascal saying the village was in trouble. I had originally panicked during Route A/B about the village as I had grown to love the place. (Third favourite music track!)

I had been playing the whole game only retaliating to those who attacked me. Any machine that was just wandering about I left totally alone. It seemed fair that way.

Returning to that village and witnessing the full on destruction filled me with the most dread. That dread intensified after Pascal's battle with Engels. When he asked that we check on the children I went cold and the horror I had suspected was real. It crushed me and I took nearly twenty minutes to decide what to do for Pascal.

I had to pause playing there because I had been so enamoured with these little bots that I had lost myself entirely in the game. I did not know how to continue and could not. Lady VG was concerned because I was so quiet for nearly the rest of the day - I could not stop thinking about it. It did not matter that they were just pixels in a game because that was not the point the game had been making. The emotional resonance had just been a resoundingly downbeat one but for good reasons.

This neverending war where both sides were pawns, were the same (more than I knew until the end of C) and their struggles to grasp what it meant to be. They all had some manner of heartache. They all acted 'human' despite what their original purposes were and it made all the difference.

But ending E changed everything for me. Ending E made me realise that I had not gone far enough. The one thing that is able to defeat heartache resounded throughout that amazing sequence.

When I had to destroy the credits on the off chance I could save their data, I was filled with hope that I could rescue my heroes. I desperately hoped I would be able to do it.

I kept dying to the names and it kept asking me if I wanted to give up and goodness! There was NO way I was going to bow out. I had come this far and done so much not to give up now. I would do it for hours if I had to.

Then that chorus kicked in and I was joined by other players. I started blubbing and I became a wreck. All my hoping had paid off and I had to realise that I was not alone. The weight of the world was not mine to bear alone. It never was.

When Pod 042 asked if I wanted to help another at the expense of my save data it was not even a choice. How could I turn away from someone needing my support. They had been there for me, and I was going to be there for them.

What you saw at the top of this spoiler was the message I left for whoever needed me to be there for them. I will be in their corner, always. That is what being human is about. Hope and the strength of supporting each other.

It was a glorious message wonderfully delivered and I feel richer as a person for having been able to experience it. It has been difficult to write this because I am still all over the place about it. I cannot tell if these are happy tears or sad tears but I am not think that matters.

Thank you, Yoko Taro.

Whew.

good read and felt the same way when I played it

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Mandrel posted:

It’s got plenty of David Cage hackwork but it’s pretty good and rarely boring.

I’ve been playing it when I’m not quite in the mood for Yak0 or the FFX remaster playthrough I’ve been slowly working through since the new year

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

And yeah the song is just perfect (don't listen if you don't know Ending E)

What makes it even better is that the developers, including Yoko Taro and composer Keiichi Okabe, are singing in the chorus. The developers themselves are supporting you even as you destroy their names, letting you know you don't have to bear the weight of the world on your own :cry:

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Yep, barely keeping my composure. Who knew a goddamn credits sequence could be the most affecting videogame moment of the last decade.

Pablo Nergigante posted:

What makes it even better is that the developers, including Yoko Taro and composer Keiichi Okabe, are singing in the chorus. The developers themselves are supporting you even as you destroy their names, letting you know you don't have to bear the weight of the world on your own :cry:

Oh god, I didn't know that, that just makes it even more incredible. :cry:

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
i should get automata before i get spoiled, so many games to catch up on!

about done with uncharted 1, i caved in and got the remaster and im glad i did, aiming is so much better holy poo poo. also was not expecting demon monster things and nazi bases, they came outta left field but i guess the hints where there now i think about it :stare:

dunno if i should move on to 2 and 3 after this or go yakuza 0/bloodborne. good god my free time.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Uncharted 2 and 3 are quick one and done games and they're still night-and-day better than Uncharted 1 even with the fixed aiming.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

If anyone wants a gold to beat in rayman dailies add SiftRock. I'm running every day until I get my plat and my scores are apparently pretty up there I guess?

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

Vikar Jerome posted:

i should get automata before i get spoiled, so many games to catch up on!

about done with uncharted 1, i caved in and got the remaster and im glad i did, aiming is so much better holy poo poo. also was not expecting demon monster things and nazi bases, they came outta left field but i guess the hints where there now i think about it :stare:

dunno if i should move on to 2 and 3 after this or go yakuza 0/bloodborne. good god my free time.

I’d say play 2, take a break, and then play 3 and 4.

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich

haveblue posted:

Uncharted 2 and 3 are quick one and done games and they're still night-and-day better than Uncharted 1 even with the fixed aiming.

Yeah I blasted through 1 on easy to get to 2 and 3.

4 is pretty great and I really need lost legacy

I’ve got at least 6 games in my backlog :smith:

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Shark Sandwich posted:

Yeah I blasted through 1 on easy to get to 2 and 3.

4 is pretty great and I really need lost legacy

I’ve got at least 6 games in my backlog :smith:

Just 6?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Yakuza 3-5 are very playable on PS3 IF you can handle long loading times.

I don’t have a PS3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

VideoGames posted:

For everyone else

Thank you, Yoko Taro.

Whew.

#blessed