Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Buller
Nov 6, 2010
Monkeu = J. Prince for real.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SBJ
Apr 10, 2009

Apple of My Eye

Laughter in the Sky
Im am insider and here is an exclusive pic of Pusha dancing with Virginia Williams

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Marching Powder posted:

i've listened to it all the way through roughly 30 times. it's truly something else.

Favorite album this year so far

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Shoutout J Cole Prince

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Man I gently caress with this Tyga song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcxQ0SWAUGI

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Vargatron posted:

Shoutout J Cole Prince

No joke I was just coming in here to say it's been awhile since we shoutout j cole

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

shoutout j cole

cardedagain
Aug 28, 2006

There's a new Chris Crack album out. It's pretty good.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

also it's a shame that lofty305 and all the metro zu dudes don't get the acclaim that a lot of these other collectives get since their sound is still next level.

Shovelbearer
Oct 11, 2003
Paragon of Lexicon

alansmithee posted:

also it's a shame that lofty305 and all the metro zu dudes don't get the acclaim that a lot of these other collectives get since their sound is still next level.

What would be the best 3-album crash course for the uninitiated?

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE
Pussy Portal is still a tape I play every now and then

And the one with Mink Rug

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

alansmithee posted:

This is true but essentially none of them release music anymore besides Lofty who is incredibly hit or miss with his solo stuff. I think they were just a bit before there time to really blow up. unfortunately, being a bunch of weirdos matters much less now than it did even a few years ago. Didn’t help matters that Ruben slikk got locked up when he was by far the best rapper in the group.

I like some off loftys newer stuff, this in particular
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-6po2qOvWg

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Shovelbearer posted:

I’d say mink rug, kushpak (1 or 2, 1 has more “”hits”” but I think 2 is a better album) and king Astroslikk (this is a solo album from one of there members). They had a lot of output at the time it’s hard to narrow it down to just 3 though.

Also, this song on repeat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3K9hEc5_rHI

Tolkien minority fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jun 5, 2018

Buller
Nov 6, 2010

Dexo posted:

Man I gently caress with this Tyga song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcxQ0SWAUGI

This is amazing.

conventionalcat
Dec 17, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
fav metro zu is whatever project this is from:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZRL2enPS50

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Shovelbearer posted:

Mink Rug (although it's unlike a lot of their other stuff), Kuspak 1, Shroomtard. Shroomtard is one of my fav albums of theirs and was what got me into their stuff.

Also Lofty305 has a bunch of stuff on bandcamp that's occasionally free/cheap. Dude's still making some good music (although some is extremely meh, of course with like 100 tapes out in the last 5 or so years, that's to be expected). A lot of his stuff tends more towards ambient sounds, kinda like Jet Age of Tomorrow/Pyramid Vritra type stuff only more sparse.

Tolkien minority posted:

This is true but essentially none of them release music anymore besides Lofty who is incredibly hit or miss with his solo stuff. I think they were just a bit before there time to really blow up. unfortunately, being a bunch of weirdos matters much less now than it did even a few years ago. Didn’t help matters that Ruben slikk got locked up when he was by far the best rapper in the group.

I like some off loftys newer stuff, this in particular
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-6po2qOvWg
Lofty keeps it going but yeah they seem like they just missed their window. I'm surprised at least Lofty hasn't hooked up with some other folks since his production is still solid and his sound is basically in line with a lot of stuff that's trending now.

Also, Ski Mask's tape this year was pretty solid too. Like dude be rapping his rear end off, which isn't expected at all for someone whose in with all the soundcloud dudes.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

alansmithee posted:

Also, Ski Mask's tape this year was pretty solid too. Like dude be rapping his rear end off, which isn't expected at all for someone whose in with all the soundcloud dudes.

I been sayin! He's hands down the best technical rapper from the current soundcloud crop. His flows are super diverse and he has a really goofy sense of humor that makes his stuff generally pretty fun to listen to. Like check this out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tU-hDbAMLaU
The Jaws sample on this beat is crazy, I wish this had made it on YouWillRegret but I'm sure no one short of like Jay-Z could clear that sample.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

That AYYY adlib cracks me up every time I hear it.

Robert Analog
Feb 16, 2008

shyah
Echoing the praise for ski mask. I couldn’t get this song out of my head last week
https://youtu.be/EUuPcoZweSo
diamonds pikachuUUuuUu

conventionalcat
Dec 17, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
kanye should get ski mask for the upcoming remix/updated version of All Mine. he'd fit in with the bouncey melodic rappity rap Valee hook on there

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

Blues clues still the best ski mask song

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

monkeu posted:

makes sense. I wouldn’t want to talk about a beef I’d lost so badly that I was reduced to a pathetic gossip pedaling agony aunt either... especially after I had to desperately ask my boss to wave the white flag and beg j prince to intervene on my behalf

better to draw attention to the album I’ve delayed for 4 years now... especially since it barely managed to outsell the debut by a dude called lil baby yyyyyuuuuuuuuuugghhhk
https://twitter.com/ComplexMusic/status/1003745223187533826

SBJ
Apr 10, 2009

Apple of My Eye

Laughter in the Sky
Lmao I legit can’t believe the retards in here who think a coalition of Kanye and Pusha can best Drizzy.

Drizzy actually has flow and rhythm. The best Kanye songs are because of the backing track not created by him and literally every Pusha song is him just talking in a funny voice.

That being said Drizzy should leave Pusha alone because even choir boys could wreck Pusha so it’s not a fair fight

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
:thunk:

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

SBJ posted:

Lmao I legit can’t believe the retards in here who think a coalition of Kanye and Pusha can best Drizzy.

Drizzy actually has flow and rhythm. The best Kanye songs are because of the backing track not created by him and literally every Pusha song is him just talking in a funny voice.

That being said Drizzy should leave Pusha alone because even choir boys could wreck Pusha so it’s not a fair fight

Monkeu trying to single-handedly keep the forums alive one parachute account at a time.

Robert Analog
Feb 16, 2008

shyah

SBJ posted:

Wow what an original gimmick :thumbsup:

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

drat why isn't there a track out called "wheelchair Jimmy"?

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

SBJ posted:

You're a discount monkeu.

40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

if you think this drake diss is real you're dumber than a dummy

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

It's real, and she lives in Canada

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

sales numbers don't lie, adele loving wrecks drake

conventionalcat
Dec 17, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
OVO Reps please PM me with info on how to get in on this paid promotional posting. I'm Canadian so our Interac EMT will be really easy and convenient.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

poop dood posted:

I been sayin! He's hands down the best technical rapper from the current soundcloud crop. His flows are super diverse and he has a really goofy sense of humor that makes his stuff generally pretty fun to listen to. Like check this out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tU-hDbAMLaU
The Jaws sample on this beat is crazy, I wish this had made it on YouWillRegret but I'm sure no one short of like Jay-Z could clear that sample.

yikes realllly not feeling this

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

ovo only slinks toward the lowest of the degenerates

australians, aka genetic criminals

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Shovelbearer posted:

I was just thinking about making a Zu post this last week. Summer weather is reaaaaally hard for me to separate from Metro Zu.

As a collective, MinkRug was my intro. I still use the hook from Joggin’ as my ringtone (I also bought a few TimePeaces, shout out Kidd Lucid). Zuology was the second to last tape that they put out as a group to my knowledge and it’s full of bangers. I also like Heaven, it’s ahead of its time with like 80 tracks but there are some really good ones. Butterflies N Dolphinz, Mountain, DonkRacer.

Their last tape, Z Unit, is p good and has some of my favorite tracks including one that’s a 25 lighters tribute.

But King Astro Slikk the Magnificent is loving amazing. It’s just front to back banging. I’m gonna put it on now.

Like others have said, they were too early. If they had released now what they did in 2010-2013, we would be all singing along to Nigga Bleed Kush. Stuff like this is why I don’t gently caress w streaming. I’ll have these tapes until something catastrophic happens to me, and no one can ever take that away.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
Yup. Still a classic.

Also, I hosed w Propr Boyz which is RubenSikk and Mike Dece who was just 16 at the time. The first two albums and Mike Dece’s albums have some weird poo poo that absolutely bangs.

SBJ
Apr 10, 2009

Apple of My Eye

Laughter in the Sky

MrSargent posted:

Monkeu trying to single-handedly keep the forums alive one parachute account at a time.

You mean like Drizzy trying to single-handedly keep rap alive?

I’m not monkeu physically but maybe in spirit

SBJ
Apr 10, 2009

Apple of My Eye

Laughter in the Sky
Legit feels like everyone in this thread is white except me

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

SBJ posted:

Legit feels like everyone in this thread is white except me

:laffo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

conventionalcat
Dec 17, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
monkeu trying the digital blackface thing now?

e: Drake*