Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Craptacular! posted:

So you’re telling me I should have bought that 27” 1080p Gsync Dell that was on sale the other week?

I didn’t realize 1440 hits cards so hard.

FHD (1920x1080) is almost 2.1 MP, QHD (2560x1440) is almost 3.7 MP. The latter resolution approaches double the former, so yeah, all other settings being the same the GPU is going to have to work almost twice as hard when jumping from one resolution to the other! (I'm not saying the load increases linearly with resolution, but it's a reasonable approximation.)

That being said, you can certainly adjust a wide range of settings to get a playable experience in any game, so don't make too much of a fuss about this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
You will be surprised just how well even uber-demanding games can run if you drop them a notch below the max vanity screenshot mode settings

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Craptacular! posted:

So you’re telling me I should have bought that 27” 1080p Gsync Dell that was on sale the other week?

I didn’t realize 1440 hits cards so hard.

70-100 fps at high settings. That's anything but hard.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Palladium posted:

You will be surprised just how well even uber-demanding games can run if you drop them a notch below the max vanity screenshot mode settings

Yeah it varies by the game but in some cases it's almost comical, for example Ghost Recon: Wildlands. You get a massive performance boost going from Ultra to Very High and most people can't even tell the difference at all. I feel like some of the disconnect seen with card recommendations is between the people who max everything out and the people who just run high settings, I'm usually a max out person but with games coming out where maxed out means huge performance drops for basically no difference in visual fidelity I have no problem going down a notch.

MaxxBot fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Jun 5, 2018

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
As a matter of disinterest in settings, I let Geforce Experience set detail levels for me in most games. I assume if I take the Nvidia options and have a Gsync monitor that most games will look impressive for a couple years even if they're not at Dust Particulate 100% mode.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Palladium posted:

I’d rather die

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Craptacular! posted:

As a matter of disinterest in settings, I let Geforce Experience set detail levels for me in most games. I assume if I take the Nvidia options and have a Gsync monitor that most games will look impressive for a couple years even if they're not at Dust Particulate 100% mode.

This, tbh. GFE makes reasonable decisions for the most part. I don't care about the telemetry, in the end it's getting used to fix bugs.

Only thing is GFE always aims for 60 fps by default... It would be nice if it could be set to aim higher by default (for those of us with 100-165 Hz monitors) or even depending on the type of game (eg multiplayer/esports vs single-player RPGs).

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Jun 5, 2018

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

I am a total slave to Nvidia I responded to their non-announcement by buying even more Pascal :negative:

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

MaxxBot posted:

I am a total slave to Nvidia I responded to their non-announcement by buying even more Pascal :negative:

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
gently caress GFE for locking frame-limiting features behind a login.

coke
Jul 12, 2009
Wouldn't they have the incentive to tell you they are not launching anything so you will buy the existing stuff even if they are coming out with something in a few months?

They are probably smart enough to not osborne themselves.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Palladium posted:

What would be cool though is if all games would tell you how much impact on performance vs prettyness each setting has so it's easy to home in on the one setting you need to take down a notch.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Geemer posted:

What would be cool though is if all games would tell you how much impact on performance vs prettyness each setting has so it's easy to home in on the one setting you need to take down a notch.

Some hardware websites test the performance impact of a new popular game's settings occasionally, it would be nice if that was more common for modern games, with a database or something to add to. Maybe someone should start a wiki :v:

What helps is games which come with a built in benchmark, it's not always useful for comparative testing (of eg. video cards) but it should allow you to see if a certain setting has an effect (on both quality and performance) on your computer.

In general, high shadow settings are usually a huge resource hog for a quality increase you can barely see even in static screenshots. Anti-aliasing also plays a role, depending on the options present in a game - FXAA looks like poo poo but it's almost free, other post-processing AA and temporal AA often costs a bunch more, and MSAA is the worst. And then there are options with vendor-specific implementations like HairWorks (you can crush AMD cards and with high settings even Nvidia cards with that) and ambient occlusion. The latter also depends very much on the game - sometimes AO looks good and doesn't cost a lot of performance, but it can make a different game run slow while not being very noticeable (or it even looks wrong in places).

Also, motion blur and depth of field effect are completely stupid so if a game lets me turn those off, that's another small performance gain (:rip: if you absolutely want them on, though).

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

SwissArmyDruid posted:

gently caress GFE for locking frame-limiting features behind a login.

Still works on a per-profile and/or global profile basis through Nvidia Inspector.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

orcane posted:

Also, motion blur and depth of field effect are completely stupid so if a game lets me turn those off, that's another small performance gain (:rip: if you absolutely want them on, though).

Ah yes, the make everything look like poo poo settings that are popular for no good reason, just like Scanline filter for emulators.
I sure love when DoF decides that what I'm looking at should be rendered in ultra blur mode. Just like I love how in real life people and objects turn into blurry messes when they start moving.

Thanks for the write-up though.

Most of the times games nowadays detect your card and try to load a decent profile, but with a 1070 at 1080p60 I just tend to put it all on ultra and hope for the best. I really hate incrementally testing settings until I get good looks/performance ratios.
I just wanna play the games, dammit.

eames
May 9, 2009

Geemer posted:

I really hate incrementally testing settings until I get good looks/performance ratios.
I just wanna play the games, dammit.

That's what Geforce Experience is for, from what I understand they have a dedicated team testing games with various hardware configurations to find the best performance/image quality ratio for their various GPUs. If you don't mind the software/account/telemetry it's a pretty neat idea, though I don't know how well it works.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Heck, I think even for modern FPS games dropping down to medium is barely noticeable from high / ultra.

I know I started playing BF1 at medium over high to keep laptop temps down (limit CPU speed and underclock/volt the GPU), and I only notice it on far off smoke effects.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

eames posted:

That's what Geforce Experience is for, from what I understand they have a dedicated team testing games with various hardware configurations to find the best performance/image quality ratio for their various GPUs. If you don't mind the software/account/telemetry it's a pretty neat idea, though I don't know how well it works.

I do mind the account stuff though. And even then, before you needed an account, the settings it'd set were way lower than what my computer could handle, because it saw my 3rd gen i5 and gave up.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

TweakTown: NVIDIA launching its next-gen GeForce GTX 1180 on July 30

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

the 1080ti will be the first four year flagship gpu in a long time

eames
May 9, 2009

repiv posted:

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

new thread title

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Yeah, until there's some official confirmation on that date, I'm just assuming that guy wants his rumor broadcast across the web for clickbait.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010

quote:

July 30 isn't too far away, and while we were wrong about the GTC 2018 launch, my sources were very clear about July 30. I asked multiple people and more than one confirmed it was less than two months away, with July 30 specifically being mentioned by multiple of my sources.

Sorry for being wrong with our last guess, here's our new one!

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Fun Times! posted:

Sorry for being wrong with our last guess, here's our new one!

People now have the attention span of a ADHD cat so I guess facts don't matter anymore as long as there's news

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
Lol *frantically shifting gears again* sell sell sell sell

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004

Palladium posted:

People now have the attention span of a ADHD cat so I guess facts don't matter anymore as long as there's news

Welcome to GPU Megathread, where the release date's made up and the facts don't matter.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007
The only reasonable explanation is that Jensen Huang dumped the entire inventory of 1180/1170 into the ocean because they weren't good enough for Nvidia's number 1 and beloved market of loyal gamers. The successor, which I'm told will be named 'Boole', will likely be announced at dollar taco night on July 28.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

spasticColon posted:

Is it safe to make a custom 21:9 ultra-wide resolution for my 4K TV via the Nvidia control panel? I ask because when I go to make a custom resolution I get this warning/disclaimer that tells me making custom resolutions could damage the display.

I think you'll be OK, I ran some custom refresh rates on previous monitors without issues. Worst I had happen was NVidia giving an "unsupported" error and dumping me back to previous settings if the custom ones failed.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

Geemer posted:

Ah yes, the make everything look like poo poo settings that are popular for no good reason, just like Scanline filter for emulators.
I sure love when DoF decides that what I'm looking at should be rendered in ultra blur mode. Just like I love how in real life people and objects turn into blurry messes when they start moving.

Do you think that photos and movies should also have neither of these things? They do constantly, intentionally. These effects are both ways to make image quality more like real life, or art. Done correctly both of these features enhance the experience. Whether or not it is worth the performance hit in a given scenario is open to opinion.

Bob Ross Nuke Test
Jul 12, 2016

by Games Forum
Used market prices in Vancouver BC:

780Ti: $275

GTX 970: $300

GTX 980: $400

980Ti: $600

Keep in mind these are all nearly / over half a decade old now. :cripes:

Bob Ross Nuke Test fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jun 5, 2018

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

LRADIKAL posted:

Do you think that photos and movies should also have neither of these things? They do constantly, intentionally. These effects are both ways to make image quality more like real life, or art. Done correctly both of these features enhance the experience. Whether or not it is worth the performance hit in a given scenario is open to opinion.

"If done right" "look like art" etc. leaves a lot of space to gently caress things up.

It also depends on what the intent is. If I'm playing a moody game where the atmosphere and visual aesthetics are a major part of the game, and the visuals basically are intended as art, then sure, DoF and such can be nice. If I'm playing a FPS, on the other hand, gently caress the loving gently caress off with that poo poo, I want everything to be as crisp out to infinity as possible, because that's a competitive advantage: the visuals are no longer art so much as they are the vehicle by which I am interacting with things, and I don't want anything interfering with that needlessly.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

LRADIKAL posted:

It has nothing to do with trying to be "like real life". Movies/photos have motion blur, depth of field and bokeh due to lens and film properties. The human eye is not a camera though, so DoF effects and motion blur are 100% about games trying to be movies. So yeah, art.

But they cost performance and can actually detract from the experience to some people, no matter how "correct" they are. The worst games are those that throw all of them into a single "post processing" setting together with stuff you'd want to have on.

See also blood splatter or water drop effects on the "lens" (ie. in your face obscuring your view).

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

tehinternet posted:

Highly skeptical about whether those are actually selling at that price.

I actually talked to those guys and what you see was what they were asking for. No special "buy a mobo and CPU and we'll sell you a card at MSRP" discounts, either.

Yeah, I'll just file this away in the "bullshit bin" for now.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

orcane posted:

It has nothing to do with trying to be "like real life". Movies/photos have motion blur, depth of field and bokeh due to lens and film properties. The human eye is not a camera though, so DoF effects and motion blur are 100% about games trying to be movies. So yeah, art.

But they cost performance and can actually detract from the experience to some people, no matter how "correct" they are. The worst games are those that throw all of them into a single "post processing" setting together with stuff you'd want to have on.

See also blood splatter or water drop effects on the "lens" (ie. in your face obscuring your view).

Sometimes its' art, sometimes it is realism. Like looking through a sniper scope, or focusing on something up close. These have real DOF effects in real human beings. Try it.

Jack Forge
Sep 27, 2012

Fun Times! posted:

High/Ultra settings above 100fps at 1440p would be worlds better than what my PC does now (1080p ~40fps on high settings). I currently have an R9 280 from 3 years ago. I plan on getting a 1440p monitor with this GPU upgrade so I'd be bummed out if the GPU performance was worse than I anticipate.

I had a r9 280x, so mostly what you had. Witcher 3 was playable but wow frame rate was rough (i5 6500?, 32gb ram, 1440p 60mhz). Got a 1070, significantly smoother with almost everything turned up (except for hairworks, gently caress that thing) and it runs nearly capped off frame wise (60). I'll try to capture my spread later. It has a hitch every so often, been trying to figure out what's up with that. I might have it on the platter drive rather than the ssd which could be doing that (raw loads from disk).

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

orcane posted:

It's me, I'm the guy who can't tell how much I'm getting shot at if I don't have blood, red filters, and vignette all over the screen. There's some actual gameplay value in making it obvious you're about to die instead of just a blinking life bar in the corner, so that specific example isn't purely for aesthetics.

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009
My 290x died and i am now using intel gpu for basic things like web browsing and roguelikes.

i was looking for a replacement for 290x and the cheapest card that is barely better than 290x is 1060 (6 gb version). The absolute cheapest one costs 370$ :negative:

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

orcane posted:

The human eye is not a camera though, so DoF effects and motion blur are 100% about games trying to be movies. So yeah, art.
The specific DoF effect games emulate is specifically a camera aperture, but the human eye definitely is a camera in this sense as well: it has a lens and aperture.

There are good reasons to have motion blur in video that are unrelated to movies: it's arguably less correct to treat each pixel as a point sample in the temporal dimension, and conventional 180 degree shutter angle is a good compromise between sharpness and coverage. Movies have the option to reduce motion blur too, but they don't because less blur looks unnaturally jerky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Llamadeus posted:

Movies have the option to reduce motion blur too, but they don't because less blur looks unnaturally jerky.

More like because everyone is conditioned to how movies at 24fps look, so anything higher "looks wrong" despite the higher rates actually being closer to how the eye would normally perceive and register moving scenes.