Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Comp deathmatch is the most fun game mode. I really dig not having to rely on teammates. Just me and a bunch of pretty equally matched players. Out of ~15 matches no game has been won by more than 2 points. There is also a much smaller difference between 1st and last.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

Agreed. My interest in the base game was waning but comp FFA is a thing of beauty.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I wish every hero was functional in comp. I spend most of my time playing Rein in the proper game but he's a joke in FFA. Not that I don't mind playing Pharah, Winston, or Hog every round!

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I don't think it's possible to balance every hero in such a way that they're viable in both comp and ffa without massive balance problems. where would you even start with mercy?

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
make mercys staff shoot lasers

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Allow Mercy to rez herself after her own death as long as her power is off cooldown.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

Let FFA Mercy heal, damage buff and rez enemy players. Just make the game take longer for everyone.

Edit: Or, do the above, but now Mercy shares full kill credit if anyone she's healing or boosting gets a kill, and when she rez's she also steals a kill credit instead of it just disappearing.

Also let Zyra bubble opponents as well in FFA for that sweet sweet charge.

Whitenoise Poster fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Jun 2, 2018

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

I don't think it's possible to balance every hero in such a way that they're viable in both comp and ffa without massive balance problems. where would you even start with mercy?

Mercy can damage boost enemy players and takes 70% less damage from them while doing so.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I can't tell if you're joking

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
She should get credit for any kills they get.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
The joys of quick play.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I’m so grateful to play on Xbone, where I don’t have to see my useless teammates chat or even listen to them if I don’t want to.

The most anyone can ever complain is spamming Thanks after a loss.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Whitenoise Poster posted:

Also let Zyra bubble opponents as well in FFA for that sweet sweet charge.

This unironically. If they're allowing Ana to get value out of her ult in ffa, they should allow zarya get value out of her kit as well

megane
Jun 20, 2008

What does Ana say when she boosts herself

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!

megane posted:

What does Ana say when she boosts herself

I hope it's just the same "I'm giving you a boost!" and it's up to you to use the "Thanks!" voice line in response

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

https://twitter.com/xQc/status/1003264854231171072

Hasn't been a great past few weeks for xqc. Swatted, his amazon delivery got stolen, and now someone with common sense has gone and hacked his twitter account.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
He wasn't swatted, he was being too noisy and his neighbors called the police on him

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
And then they burst in with guns because he couldn't hear his door so they thought a violent incident was in progress. loving lmao.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
Is there a reason why I'm consistently shot when I'm around a corner? Do the hitboxes lag that badly?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I think the game favors the shooter in those situations. you probably weren't around the corner yet for the guy that shot you

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

When swat busted in he could have thrown a shield down or jumped away to his healer. Kind of lame to just throw like that

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

oh yea no limits is the worst thing imaginable. I'd forgotten

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I played no limits last night and won on Horizon defense with a 2 moira, 2 hanzo, 2 orsia comp lol.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

The only good no limits games I ever had was right after Brig came out and people were playing lots of all Brig matches. That was fun.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
No Limits is good and cool because that’s how the game was originally. I pity anyone who never experienced going full ape and having 6 Winstons leap over the first wall on King’s Row or Anubis.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
i remember when some goons would argue to death that hero limits were bad for the game

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
My headcanon for Mei is still influenced by the days of no hero limits, and I like to imagine that she is from a family with like 6 identical twins.

Yeti Hunt and Snowball Fight still lend legitimacy to this too

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I pity anyone who never experienced going full ape and having 6 Winstons leap over the first wall on King’s Row or Anubis.

Or Volskaya.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAn5AXfLPjc

Veks
May 12, 2012

OOOOOOH MYYY GOOOOOOOOOOOOD

quote:

GENERAL UPDATES

All heroes in the Defense and Offense categories have been merged into a new category: Damage
Developer Comments: Since the line between Offense and Defense heroes has become increasingly blurred, we’ve decided to group all those heroes into a single new “Damage” category. We believe that the term more closely matches the role name used in Overwatch League and across most of our community.

lmaooooo (ptr up, patch notes here, symm rework is up for testing)

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Sym's primary fire is kinda lame since it's literally just like reverse Zarya. Do more damage to do more damage instead of take damage to do more damage. The new turrets are nice though and the teleporter seems interesting.

I think her new ult shouldn't be on a timer though- the barrier has 5000HP, so two and a half Rein shields- just have it last until broken.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
Just finished game number 10 with new Sym and I'm gonna cry. My queen is finally good, holy poo poo :cry: The new turrets are so good. The new tele is insanely useful. I'm gonna have to really practice my tracking for the primary fire, but for everything outside of a 10m radius the orbs are MUCH more usable now.

DeliciousCookie
Mar 4, 2011
Man new teleporter is all kinds of jank. For some reason it breaks constantly upon putting it down. It can't even go in places Reaper normally can go.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
As much fun as new Sym is and as interesting as these changes will make the game, the main takeaway I'm getting after just a few games is that she's much less survivable without the old shield or the old connecting beam. Pharahs and McCrees are going to eat her for breakfast and dance on her bones.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Well, it's not as bad as I thought, but it's still awful. And that actually might be worse than my worst fears, because now I know there won't be enough voices against it to reverse the decision and give me back the one hero I enjoy.

The new M1 is as bad as I feared; it's just Zarya's, no buts about it, with all the vagueness in figuring out range that entails. I could only score kills with it in a bot match, and only by basically using it as a melee weapon.

The M2 is actually worse than I feared; it's not much quicker, can't pack anywhere near the punch that it used to, and calling that 'an AoE' is practically insulting. I think it might explode into the same range a max-charge with Live Symmetra has while in flight.

I can't tell if the teleporter is terrible, or if the teleporter works but sucks.

The new ulti feels useless. That might've been the context where it was being deployed--bot matches, and then No Limits with an overabundance of Syms on each side--but it really just felt like it served no functional purpose. It's an Orisa shield that traded usefulness for theatrics.

And the most important part: The new turret deployment is probably the best change they made, it's very flowing and intuitive; it suits Symmetra a lot more than setting them down like usual, because she needs to be constantly deploying those things. Unfortunately every other change to them is terrible; they don't feel much more impactful when playing as Symmetra, certainly don't feel like they're doing much more damage on either side of the interaction, but the durability change doesn't do much beyond sap my soul when playing against it. They're still weak enough that people Sym's actually scared of blowing apart their turret nest with burst damage are still just as concerning, but now they're just barely durable enough that the people who need a bit of sustain to make that happen are going to take a lot of damage, even if they catch on immediately. They're only more dangerous to a small collection of heroes, typically the ones that used to dread Symmetra because of her M1 like Tracer, it's not actually giving her new utility against people she struggled against.

On the upside, if I'm on PTR during this stretch, I don't feel bad about going Full Attack Moira. 'Cause my team with four Symmetras don't deserve heals, and the opposing team with another four Symmetras deserve to die to what they're cheering the demise of.

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS
It feels way, way too early to call her anything but different.

She hasn't just been tweaked. She's almost completely different, save having turrets and a charged M2. It'd be more fair to make an "I main this hero and here's why these changes are good/bad" post if she'd merely received tweaks like Sombra or Hanzo, but she's almost a new hero entirely.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

nickhimself posted:

It feels way, way too early to call her anything but different.

She hasn't just been tweaked. She's almost completely different, save having turrets and a charged M2. It'd be more fair to make an "I main this hero and here's why these changes are good/bad" post if she'd merely received tweaks like Sombra or Hanzo, but she's almost a new hero entirely.

Yeah, you're right.

And I want the old hero back, more than I want anything else in Overwatch.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Really? I tried all of this out and she feels miles better. The only thing that feels worse for me is the M1 (because you have to aim it) but its far more powerful. The M2 is great because unless you were doing that "charge up at point blank, hit them after" you weren't hitting anyone. The new teleporter has a ridiculous number of uses, i'm genuinely excited to see what people come up with.

The only thing i'm so so about on is the ultimate and that's because its temporary, but it does entirely cut a team off from any ranged support, rather than being a fire and forget thing.

If anything, the death of old Symmetra is a massive blow to people with physical disabilities, but there is a wealth of new characters that have come out recently that kind of addresses that? I have a friend who constantly shakes, but he really loves playing Moira and brig. Sym was also a go-to character for him and he's pretty bummed out about it.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I think the M2 is great as it stands, but the M1 is muy iffy. I'd expected it to work a bit more like Moira's beam, not Zarya's with zero range. It has the perk of being a shieldkiller, but you're not gonna be killing any shields unless you sidle right up to the enemy deathball, and that's basically a death sentence for new Sym. Seriously...approach a Reinhardt? On purpose? In this economy??

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

dogstile posted:

Really? I tried all of this out and she feels miles better. The only thing that feels worse for me is the M1 (because you have to aim it) but its far more powerful. The M2 is great because unless you were doing that "charge up at point blank, hit them after" you weren't hitting anyone. The new teleporter has a ridiculous number of uses, i'm genuinely excited to see what people come up with.

The only thing i'm so so about on is the ultimate and that's because its temporary, but it does entirely cut a team off from any ranged support, rather than being a fire and forget thing.

If anything, the death of old Symmetra is a massive blow to people with physical disabilities, but there is a wealth of new characters that have come out recently that kind of addresses that? I have a friend who constantly shakes, but he really loves playing Moira and brig. Sym was also a go-to character for him and he's pretty bummed out about it.

I don't have an overt physical disability, but I do have problems with fine motor control that stops me from being able to aim efficiently in shooters, among other things. So losing a character who didn't require me to do fine aim means a lot. And it is a problem to take away disability-friendly options like that (and I think it also being one of the only characters in the game who has a known disorder of any kind adds a layer to it), but I think saying that's the only problem is brushing other things under the rug.

I should note though, the other 'disability-friendly characters' don't always square, either. I'd also throw Lucio into that pile--while it helps if he can aim, it's really not the reason you want him--but I'll note that all of those heroes we just listed are support. If you do have a disability that prevents you from playing characters that need fine control, you are either healing, Reinhardt, or Symmetra. Symmetra's the only choice that was actually allowed to focus on the offense, otherwise you're relegated to support and protecting.

I'll stand up for her old M2, though, because I did find some good uses for it. Sym didn't always want to be right in the heat of a fight, but it was a useful way to contribute while staying in the flanks or the back line. That orb goes through barriers, and at max range has quite a radius and does 125 damage with a single tick. It's a great way to either crack or disperse a tight formation, especially ones that are holding behind a Rein or to lesser extent Orisa shield. You play it like a simpler version of Moira's damage orb; you throw it into the action from a distance, and make the enemy team work around it. It's not as persistent or potentially devastating as Moira's orb, but that's why you have a whole lot more of them.

Also, none of this acknowledges or excuses the fact that the now three straight beam attacks in Overwatch (Zarya's M1, Symmetra's M1, and Moira's ulti) are awful at communicating their range. I've never killed a human with a straight beam, and that's because I have no goddamn clue how long they are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
That last point is all entirely you though. The beam length on these heroes isn't nothing, its fairly long, moira's when it came out got lots of backlash because "she can loving take down pharah, man!".

BrianWilly posted:

I think the M2 is great as it stands, but the M1 is muy iffy. I'd expected it to work a bit more like Moira's beam, not Zarya's with zero range. It has the perk of being a shieldkiller, but you're not gonna be killing any shields unless you sidle right up to the enemy deathball, and that's basically a death sentence for new Sym. Seriously...approach a Reinhardt? On purpose? In this economy??

My team has a KR comp that includes running Sym on attack because of how good she is on a point fight, actually. That's a Rein v Rein battle she pushes in his favour.