Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Who's living in the house: you or them? Whose opinion matters: yours or theirs? :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
The correct answer is goons opinions matter :colbert: I'm not going to gently caress with it but I'm curious if other people are on my side or hers.

e: and if she and our other friend can't get their poo poo together in the next month or two they might be living there too :v:

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

How could you. I got 5 minutes in and felt like it'd been 20.

SpartanIvy posted:

The house I just bought has a kind of crows feet wall texture in most of the rooms and I don't think anything of it but one of my friends hates it. Thread, is that texture acceptable or should I go through the tedious process of scrapping it all off like she thinks I should?

E: best picture I have of it
https://imgur.com/Z3cEKN0

I don't like it but I agree with LC that it's your house, your walls. Bearing in mind texture of any kind like that is usually done to hide imperfections in the wall, scraping it off might uncover more work, so make sure you budget for that.

If she's so keen to see it removed get her to do it.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

SpartanIvy posted:

The house I just bought has a kind of crows feet wall texture in most of the rooms and I don't think anything of it but one of my friends hates it. Thread, is that texture acceptable or should I go through the tedious process of scrapping it all off like she thinks I should?

"If you hate it so much, YOU fix it."

In the grand scheme of textured plaster, that's not bad at all. My uncle's house has goddamned inch-long spikes that take skin off. It's like you walk in the front door of a log cabin directly into a Hell dimension. Some low-gloss paint in a darker tone would make it a lot less obvious.

A friend came over and was helping me get some heavy picture frames hung level over about 25 linear feet of wall (I'm acutely sensitive to things being off-kilter, which is another reason I am an idiot for buying an old home). He couldn't stop telling me that he thought we were over-decorating the room. It's six goddamned pictures total in a 22' × 15' room if you include the three cheaper prints. I wanted to respond, "Dude, you have 100,000 Lego in a room half this size, maybe think about that plan a second."

This is the room, plus one monochromatic print over the couch from the same series as the two larger prints. We're not talking the Winchester House of art here.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

SpartanIvy posted:

Tell "one of your friends" that if they want to pay to have it removed, you will hire someone to do it. Otherwise they can get stuffed. People are always willing to tell you how to spend your time and money, but will never back up those opinions if you offer to let them pay/work at it.

My personal peeve is about gardening. Everyone has great ideas on what I should do with my yard. I hate gardening and don't want to do anything in my yard other than grill and hang out. They are shocked I don't want to plant anything and then weed it and keep it up; and every time I tell them they are free to come over and play in the dirt, they decline. Get hosed [name redacted].

Indolent Bastard fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Jun 1, 2018

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I scraped a popcorn ceiling by spraying it with water and scraping the soggy remnants off. It wasn’t too bad.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Indolent Bastard posted:

Tell "one of your friends" that if they want to pay to have it removed, you will hire someone to do it. Otherwise they can get stuffed. People are always willing to tell you how to spend your time and money, but will never back up those opinions if you offer to let them pay/work at it.

My personal peeve is about gardening. Everyone has great ideas on what I should do with my yard. I hate gardening and don't want to do anything in my yard other than grill and hang out. They are shocked I don't want to plant anything and then weed it and keep it up; and every time I tell them they are free to come over and play in the dirt, they decline. Get hosed [name redacted].

Everyone working on my house has told me I should put a deck in and where and how big. None of them offered to do the work, I noticed.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

PRADA SLUT posted:

I scraped a popcorn ceiling by spraying it with water and scraping the soggy remnants off. It wasn’t too bad.

Getting drywall wet is not the best of ideas.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
Getting plaster wet is an even worse idea, for those of you who've never seen a ceiling come down due to a leak above it.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

SpartanIvy posted:

That texture is perfectly acceptable, sure its not 90s/00s knock down texture but it is really not worth sanding the plaster off every surface and redoing it.

I debated doing this when I redid my house and decided it is just is not worth it. I had to texture one wall and some patch work and that was bad enough. Paint and trim makes a much larger impact than the texture (as long as its not flat).

PRADA SLUT posted:

Scraping a popcorn ceiling is nothing compared to sanding a plaster covered wall. The reason people bitch about ceilings is because you are having to do all the work over your head so arms tire quickly.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

There's a huge difference between damping a popcorn ceiling (correct method) and flooding.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

Also it is almost easier to just rip all the drywall out and put new in and texture than take down the texture and not gently caress up the drywall/joint seams.

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!
Another trick with popcorn ceilings--and really only viable if you are replacing lighting fixtures, adding ceiling fans, and/or making large holes--cover the old ceiling with new 1/4" drywall. In addition to painting, you will need to tape and mud the new ceiling. Way less mess than trying to scrape off the old texture or tearing out the old ceiling.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

HycoCam posted:

Another trick with popcorn ceilings--and really only viable if you are replacing lighting fixtures, adding ceiling fans, and/or making large holes--cover the old ceiling with new 1/4" drywall. In addition to painting, you will need to tape and mud the new ceiling. Way less mess than trying to scrape off the old texture or tearing out the old ceiling.

Do this multiple times and get a smaller room! And sealed off places for mold to live!

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

How is it that all these crafty blogger types have the most perfectly manicured nails?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Because if you take videos of your hands with janky nails, guess what all the comments will be about?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

JEEVES420 posted:

Scraping a popcorn ceiling is nothing compared to sanding a plaster covered wall. The reason people bitch about ceilings is because you are having to do all the work over your head so arms tire quickly.

sorry about you’re flaccid noodle arms

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Anyone working on a wall (let alone a ceiling) without a pole is a fool.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Jaded Burnout posted:

Anyone working on a wall (let alone a ceiling) without a pole is a fool.

Hire a couple, they're generally good lads :v:

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

cakesmith handyman posted:

Hire a couple, they're generally good lads :v:

"Is someone going to make a polish joke, maybe, hopefully not"

Glad I can count on you cakesmith ;)

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer

Crimes against guitars and plastic dinosaurs in this “gift” :mad:

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

PRADA SLUT posted:

Post your arms. Show him what a real man is.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

PRADA SLUT posted:

I don't care who you are, scrape/mud/paint a 3000 sq/ft house with vaulted ceilings and your arms will feel like flaccid noodles.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
Anyone have any good resources besides Houzz for redone basements? The prior owners clearly DIYed the finish and I don't love the space. The back office is fine, but I would like to redo the interior basement great room.

Time and finances prevented us from redoing it sooner, but now we've got enough money I'd like to really fix it up.

bEatmstrJ
Jun 30, 2004

Look upon my bathroom joists, ye females, and despair.
Oh hi. Took me just over a year to realize I was the inspiration for an interior design thread. How fun...

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Even a cut beam holds a boob light twice a day.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

bEatmstrJ posted:

Oh hi. Took me just over a year to realize I was the inspiration for an interior design thread. How fun...

How'd your bathroom turn out?

bEatmstrJ
Jun 30, 2004

WrenP-Complete posted:

How'd your bathroom turn out?

If my thread hadn't turned into a complete poo poo-show you'd probably know. But it turned out great, thanks for asking.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

bEatmstrJ posted:

If my thread hadn't turned into a complete poo poo-show you'd probably know. But it turned out great, thanks for asking.

Insurance payout when everything collapsed worked out just fine hey?

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

bEatmstrJ posted:

your bathroom is bad and you should feel bad.

Edit:

look upon my joists, ye mighty
and despair.

Deviant fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jun 5, 2018

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
A Letter From James Joist To His "Dirty Little Inspector" Nora Barnacle

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
https://i.imgur.com/cbfQUrZ.mp4

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

bEatmstrJ posted:

But it turned out great, thanks for asking.

I would probably say this too if I didn't have to prove anything after making a really dumb, really expensive mistake.

bEatmstrJ
Jun 30, 2004

Man I missed you guys.

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007
I'm actually interested, from an engineering perspective, how the floor I beams got fixed. Was it buried in the 62 pages? I never posted in that thread, so y'know, don't be mad at me.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Spent the evening catching up on Mcmansion Hell posts, and found the room Satan has prepared for Prada Slut should they not cease their sinning ways.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

extravadanza posted:

I'm actually interested, from an engineering perspective, how the floor I beams got fixed. Was it buried in the 62 pages? I never posted in that thread, so y'know, don't be mad at me.

Nah, as I recall the OP got salty because goons made fun of him for creating a five digit bill worth of structural problems to try and install a mold factory.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

bEatmstrJ posted:

Man I missed you guys.

Would you like some more calculations done on any freshly cut joists?

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Liquid Communism posted:

Nah, as I recall the OP got salty because goons made fun of him for creating a five digit bill worth of structural problems to try and install a mold factory.

A mold factory he wasn't even going to use, to add resale value to a house he wasn't planning to sell, because :females: love fancy bathrooms and have too much pull as real-estate customers. Or something? I lost track after a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I have a pale green in my studio, with walnut flooring and mahogany desk - fairly early 20th C in style. Unfortunately, the window is only 3' x 3' and never has any direct sunlight, so it's dark as heck most of the time. I'm going to grab a standing lamp for one corner, but I think a rug would protect the floor and look nice. I thought this could look good: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Traditio...k5c9or3Qjt1TL4Q since I don't want to spend a bundle right off the bat. I thought a bright, saturated colour might also work, but literally everything else in the room is shades of green and brown.