Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

el B
Jan 30, 2004
holler.
Got my chops in Anarchy Acres. My squad has seen a huge surge of teams there since late Season 3... It's crazy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I like to drop greasy. I don't like lonely drops because it's really annoying to loot for 5-6 minutes and then lose your first fight. Greasy usually has a couple of early skirmishes and good rotate options after. I've been dropping tilted more often though because yeah, hot drops are fun and low pressure. It sucks if you don't get a shotgun quick though.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Squiggles Unite posted:

Excluding my first 20~ games, I have exclusively dropped into Tilted :clint: unless a challenge dictates otherwise. Partly because if you survive the gauntlet you walk away with great loot and partly because I'm still so so new to the game that getting in as many fights as possible has helped me get used to the controls/aiming a lot more quickly. Now I'm starting to run into the problem of getting really familiar with Tilted but being a fish out of water everywhere else on the map :doh: So, outside of Tilted, where is everyone's favorite place to land?

Pretty much anything named excluding tomato, shifty, lake, forest, lonely, junkyard, marsh, and farms. First along the bus path to catch some decent fights.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef

el B posted:

There are a lot of people here who feel that you are playing the game wrong. Can I interest you in a much more safe and rewarding drop zone like Hotel Motel, or the fox outside of Wailing Woods?

I don't recall anyone saying that dropping tilted is bad, just that the addition of tt makes the midgame way less active on average. Very hard to find kills in the midgame.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Finally started getting good with snipers/hunting rifles thanks to the blitz mode, been playing the 20 squad games and getting a scoped/hunting rifle every round has been nice. Also running over groups of people at places like salty, pleasant and retail is fun; had a group of 3 run into a house I was just finishing up looting and absolutely wrecked them with double shotty Pump+auto, one had no gun and the other 2 had a shotgun and rifle so I knocked out the shotgun first then killed the other 2.

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold
Shifty is Good, lots of loot, often skipped by other players. I like Salty a lot - easy to get almost anywhere the circle ends up. I really don't like Retail - the stores have barely any loot, and you often have to go past Dusty, which is just an awful thing to have in the center of the map. The NE part of the map suckkkkkks to the point where I leave the game if 20v5 has me jumping on that side.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
I like pleasent, greasey, lucky, and the race track/gas station.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Haunted, Shifty, and Risky are where almost all my best games/wins have started from

Raposa
Aug 4, 2007

That post went quite well, I think.
As a black knight I am contractually obligated to drop wailing woods every game, terrorize anyone else in the area, and then die in the storm.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Emron posted:

Haunted, Shifty, and Risky are where almost all my best games/wins have started from

Ob haunted is a favorite if there are 5+ squads heading to pleasent. Im not getting stuck with no gun.

Plus those 14ish treasure chest spawn points are good.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
The entire NW corner of the map is definitely my jam. The now-ruined crater north of Snobby and the nearby building, up to Haunted, Junk (and the metal llama), over to the movie studio warehouse, the unlabeled four pack of ruined houses, the crater, and the motel. Lots of different ways to filter through to the rest of the map if the circle is bad and generally low-stress. Junk and the studio next door also have a bunch of wooden pallets, so you always come out of there with plenty of wood to build with.

The sports complex west of Tilted might be the single best drop point in the game, especially now that the hop rock truck from Tilted vacated to there, but it has the downside of being dead center between all of the other common hotspots and I think by now most people know it's a good spot to hit. It's also really easy for interlopers to get the high ground on you.

For the middle of the map, I really like the bridges. All of them tend to have at least one chest and additional loot. Maybe not the best place to start at, but on the south side of the map you have the truck stop and the industrial park to work with too. I've always had questionable luck with Shifty. I feel like more often than not a lot of other people have the same "let's avoid Tilted" instinct and land there, and loot spawns are dicey.

On the east, all of the unlabeled spots are pretty good - the prison, the cargo yard, the trailer park, and the race track and crater. The mansion to a lesser extent. But the real king is Moisty. That place is jam-packed with loot and there's plenty of wood to harvest whether it's trees or pallets from the movie sets. One spot can spawn up to three chests right next to each other, and every hollow stump seems to have something good inside. Since it's both unlikely for anyone to land there and the for the circle to swing that way, it's an insanely good place to gear up and then move on. Also unlike Loot Lake, there's enough land masses to hop between that the water isn't an endless deathtrap to slog through.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Jun 5, 2018

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

John Murdoch posted:

The sports complex west of Tilted might be the single best drop point in the game, especially now that the hop rock truck from Tilted vacated to there,

Oh poo poo, are they still moving the trucks and hop rocks around with the trucks? That's still fuckin nifty.

I love hitting the farthest house south at Snobby, cause even if a wicked number of people go there like, 75% of them miss the 'hidden' basement that usually has 2 chests.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Johnny Truant posted:

Oh poo poo, are they still moving the trucks and hop rocks around with the trucks? That's still fuckin nifty.

Yeah, as of a week or two ago the trucks moved out of Tilted completely and to the sports complex. Risky's crater and I think one of the others started to get filled in and the rocks collected like they did in Tilted. And the crater nearest Omega's fortress got trashed, with the semi truck knocked over and all of the hop rocks just gone. Given the direction the Tilted trucks are going, I suspect part of the meta-plot is Omega collecting all of the hop rocks and meteor pieces for some nefarious purpose.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
when neither chest spawns at the stable at one of the farms, that's some bullshit

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
:(:hf::( bad stable RNG buddy. Me and my squad of randos actually somehow managed to make it out on top of that situation. And then all instantly perished as soon as we approached Divot. :buddy:

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

To the guy who won the last solo: your welcome.

I blew myself and the other guy up.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Ha I did that last week. Owned.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Looks like they are nerfing the Llamas and reducing the explosive ammo that we can get :(.

Also looks like the new booster trap might work with shopping carts? Should be interesting.

https://www.epicgames.com/fortnite/en-US/patch-notes/v4-3-content-update

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

Well it already happened, can't say I blame them.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

That fallloff damage removal sounds fairy juicy.

objectively bad
Nov 11, 2006

ABANDONS HIS FRIENDS
I think the llama should be different between solos/duos/squads. 1500 materials is insane in solos, but not such an amazing advantage in squads. 600 materials in solos is a decent amount, but 600 in squads is just gonna be disappointing.

I like what they're doing regarding rocket/grenade launchers. End game no launcher vs launcher isn't much fun at the moment. Hopefully this cuts down on some of the spam. Between that, the removal of damage fall off, and all the extra small ammo I think silenced pistols are gonna be pretty good to carry for destroying structures

As for landing spots, I'm like dropping outside of busier places, quickly looting & farming enough materials for one fight and rushing in to clean up. The small craters west of pleasant park, fatal fields and the motel. Race track is ok, but it's always too tempting to go loot the gas station/house and broken house before rushing into retail, by which time I've missed the tail end of the fights and whoever won has healed up. I like fighting in moisty, but again I always feel I end up spending too long looting/farming there before going hunting.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Looking forward to playing Fortnite on Switch next week!!!

Get ready for an influx of newbie questions, friends.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
Hell of a Save the World update. Two soldier reskins!

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Llama giving 200 each is hilarious. Oh man, I just saved 20 seconds of farming.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Kiranamos posted:

Llama giving 200 each is hilarious. Oh man, I just saved 20 seconds of farming.

Yeah the llama respurces nerf is mind boggling and dumb.

Edit: i was also furious to find out when i found a llama right next to a 500 vending machine. For the record the machine had a scar, heavy, and rocket launcher.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Shere posted:

Hell of a Save the World update. Two soldier reskins!

People still plat STW?
:cripes:
I still do...

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

I dabbled from time to time to bask in the failed potential and missed opportunities.

it's really jarring how the main gameplay loop very apparently has 6~ years of development put into it and all the supporting systems feel like half-thought/half-finished ideas. Almost morbidly fascinating at this point.

Solanumai fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jun 6, 2018

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!

DarkDobe posted:

People still plat STW?
I still do...

I picked it up again after leaving it alone since about a month after it "launched." It's got a good core, but the F2P elements are like a giant iron chain dragging the whole thing down.

Dial back the "go do X a whole bunch in a level Z+ zone for ONE WHOLE MANUAL" and the XP grind treadmill and you have something pretty chill and fun.

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
I tried STW to get better at aiming/building and holy poo poo what a stupid slog

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

LuciferMorningstar posted:

I picked it up again after leaving it alone since about a month after it "launched." It's got a good core, but the F2P elements are like a giant iron chain dragging the whole thing down.

Dial back the "go do X a whole bunch in a level Z+ zone for ONE WHOLE MANUAL" and the XP grind treadmill and you have something pretty chill and fun.

Definitely this.
I'm slowly grinding my way through Canny right now and it's pretty atrociously slow.

At least -sometimes- the planets align and I can progress my main missions while ALSO grinding for one of the sixteen billion different currencies I need.
The latest thirst for re-perk and perk improvements has been something else.
Of course there's always a need for Rain, too. Admittedly they've alleviated this somewhat by improving difficulty based rewards - was a mission a few days ago that was paying out 50-80 rain per run. You can bet I did that a few times.

I wish they'd just dial back on some of those korean-grinder-mmo decisions they make. We don't need so many different currencies. Consolidate XP types and manuals. Stop with the rarity-tiered materials (perk and flux stuff). And for the love of god stop with the 'collect X but not everything drops it' bullshit.
Hell, let us PICK a reward for the mission we're doing and I will play whatever you want me to without complaint. Says a lot about the game when I'm weighing the mission payout more so than anything else - and when that doesn't align with quest demands, it starts to drag.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!
The problem, as I see it, is the currencies and whatnot are no longer justified by a theoretical F2P model. I have no clue where Epic thinks they can take StW, and I doubt they do either.

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

BR stuff:

https://twitter.com/FortniteGame/status/1004446549152292864

quote:

Shotguns

For a while we felt that Shotguns promoted healthy close quarter gameplay, however with the recent equip time changes, Shotguns are being used more often than we like. It's something we've been keeping an eye on, but broadly speaking we feel Shotguns are a little too strong in their current state. As a result, we’re making these adjustments:

Pump Shotgun
  • Headshot multiplier reduced from 2.5 to 2.0
  • Damage reduced from 90/95 to 80/85
    Tactical Shotgun
  • Headshot multiplier reduced from 2.5 to 2.0
Shotgun consistency across the board is also something we're looking into and aim to improve. We want to make it more apparent when you hit or miss a shot. In addition to that, making sure the accuracy is more consistent and improving other odd behaviors with the weapon is a top priority. We've identified a number of issues that we're currently working on solving in the near future.

Traps

We made a large change to traps a few weeks ago to test decreasing damage from 125 to 75. This was done in an effort to better understand the impact traps have throughout a match. The change sparked a great deal of excellent discussion about traps and we are going to lean more into improving their effectiveness. We want this to add more ways for you to be potent in combat. Here’s the change:

Trap Damage increased from 75 to 150

Jetpack

The Jetpack was introduced as a Limited Time Item. You can learn more on the goals of Limited Time Items as a concept in this post.

We will be vaulting the Jetpack at 8am on Monday, June 11. Get in your last matches before then! We may bring back the Jetpack at a future date with some improvements and new changes.

DarkDobe posted:

People still plat STW?
I still do...

I haven't seen you in-game since I've added you. :v: I haven't played that much since then, but probably close to 3-4k gold worth of games by now.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It'd be typical of the F2P model if you could buy progress, like if they sold perk items for cash or vbucks... But they don't so it mostly just seems to exist to keep you from realizing the game is shallow as gently caress.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

I find funny that about 1/3 of all fortnite players are permantly in their homebases scamming each another.

STW players seems to loving hate these traders.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Shotgun nerfs. :woop:

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

John Murdoch posted:

Shotgun nerfs. :woop:

Traps having a damage buff is good.

Jetpacks should stay forever.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
Jetpacks are dope and nerfing shotgun means my headshots are more relevant with the deagle :getin:

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012
Jet packs are fun but I’m glad they’re gone soon. Mostly just enables people to mass build towers without worrying about fall damage while maintaining decent firing accuracy of any weapons.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Yeah I'm not gonna miss 'em too much. It'd be neat if they came back with tweaks, but as-is they were a little bit too good despite the drawbacks. Maybe since they're really into the anti-gravity stuff they can add a jump pack instead, basically a jetpack that gives you a mini-Thanos leap instead of flight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Fortnite BR players hate fun and picking new skills. Jetpacks did nothing wrong.