Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Krispy Wafer posted:

Android Honeycomb killed by parents.

id give those parents a gold star for killing honeycomb, jesus h that poo poo sucked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem

Quantum of Phallus posted:

12 beta runs really well.

I want the beta but I'm afraid of it making poo poo wonky. 11 is finally usable. I think I'm still bitter I had to switch over to the beta branch in February just to get Carplay to work reliably.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

MarcusSA posted:

Embarrassing.

Mediocre.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Did apple give any clues as to when to expect the public beta?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Bum the Sad posted:

I want the beta but I'm afraid of it making poo poo wonky. 11 is finally usable. I think I'm still bitter I had to switch over to the beta branch in February just to get Carplay to work reliably.

I wouldn't upgrade it you're relying on it. It basically feels like ios11.3 but with slightly faster animations. Haven't had enough messages to test out the grouped notifications yet.

Camera definitely loads faster.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
11.4 has completely hosed my battery so uh, downgrade to 11.3? Or is there some magical fix for this

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

iOS betas are usually pretty drat stable, but every so often they get a bug that can realy gently caress up your day to day. So if you haven't rode the beta wave before and get irritated easily, best to stay away.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

UNWORTHY

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Does iOS12 let me have the Curb theme play every time I use my phone?

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Did apple give any clues as to when to expect the public beta?

I think usually not until like beta 2 comes out.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

If I get a $29 battery replacement and install 12 final, I might glean a 5th year out of my iPhone 6. Really not too shabby.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

EL BROMANCE posted:

If I get a $29 battery replacement and install 12 final, I might glean a 5th year out of my iPhone 6. Really not too shabby.

But can you handle the embarrassment?

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
Some people don't like cool new features on phone hardware.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Matt Zerella posted:

But can you handle the embarrassment?

I’ll just put it in that leather case everyone loves, and nobody will even know my dirty secret.

Over There posted:

Some people don't like cool new features on phone hardware.

By the time I upgrade I’ll be overwhelmed with new stuff at least. I’m still not quite over the shock of how expensive having a phone in the US is compared to the UK of all places, so anything I can do to keep my bill as low as possible feels good.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

EL BROMANCE posted:

I’ll just put it in that leather case everyone loves, and nobody will even know my dirty secret.

By the time I upgrade I’ll be overwhelmed with new stuff at least. I’m still not quite over the shock of how expensive having a phone in the US is compared to the UK of all places, so anything I can do to keep my bill as low as possible feels good.

understandable im just teasing

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Measure app is cool as gently caress and is going to be super useful.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Oh for sure, but it will be nice jumping such a large gap tho and I’ll probably justify getting whatever the equivalent of the X is then too.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny

Praying for an X+ this September :pray:

Combine the X and + and it's gonna be pronounced

iPhone rear end in a top hat

So it goes.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Holy poo poo, iMessage is WAYYYYYY faster on my 6s+

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I've been doing iOS betas for years and 11's took a bigger hit to my iPhone's battery life than any beta I've ever run before, so I'm not doing betas anymore. Maybe 12 will be way better than 11, but I'm not taking the chance anymore. I'll just wait a couple months until final release

Weedle
May 31, 2006

xzzy posted:

You all realize that iOS 12 is the iOS 11 code with the version number bumped, right?

They forked it off at some point and started hacking in fixes and new features. But it's not gonna be a clean break.

Whoa, are you telling me they don’t rewrite the entire OS from scratch every year? Holy loving poo poo. Mind blown.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Haven't had enough messages to test out the grouped notifications yet.

This is loving embarrassing.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I think they doubled the strength of the vibration on notifications.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Years of innovation have led to this moment 😳😳

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

iOS 12 actually runs really well for a beta 1 but I think I'm going back to 11.4 since there's some apps working a bit wonky and I don't want to deal with issues rn.

Looking forward to 12 for sure though.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Weedle posted:

Whoa, are you telling me they don’t rewrite the entire OS from scratch every year? Holy loving poo poo. Mind blown.

How embarrassing.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
I’ve been on Android for awhile now, but the security and privacy features Apple is bringing in iOS 12 makes me seriously consider returning to an iPhone later this year.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Really looking forward to Group FaceTime being pushed back to 12.1.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Group FaceTime will actually be good for kids because you'll be able to use another device as an "external camera".

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

OhFunny posted:

I’ve been on Android for awhile now, but the security and privacy features Apple is bringing in iOS 12 makes me seriously consider returning to an iPhone later this year.

The grouped notifications thing makes me want to stay on the iPhone now as opposed to getting a Pixel 3 like I almost considered. I'm all about Apple taking stuff from Google at this point.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

OhFunny posted:

Yeah that stuff is great - not having to worry about support is really nice.

On the other hand after a year and a half with my 7 Plus I still think iOS is flat out worse than non-molested Android as a user experience - it's stuff you'd never think of like running into apps which can't run at your phones native res and how auto app updates only work sporadically.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
Oh wow this beta makes everything so much better. *doesnt notice he's on 11.4.1*

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Over There posted:

Oh wow this beta makes everything so much better. *doesnt notice he's on 11.4.1*

This is loving embarrassing.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The only embarrassing thing about iPhone is everyone not using the perfect phone: iPhone X.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The iPhone thread: This is loving embarrassing

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Memoji (more like mememoji am I right? :xd:) trip report: both people I’ve sent one to think they’re creepy. Teens will probably love it.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

The only embarrassing thing about iPhone is everyone not using the perfect phone: iPhone X.
I've had my X for...2 weeks now? and it owns. I love the screen on this thing and I'm already used to all the new gestures that became necessary as a result of having no home button.

My only gripe with it is that I've read that Face ID works in the dark, yet it has consistently not worked in the dark for me. I even tried resetting it and scanning my face again and it still doesn't work.

Also I wear glasses and Face ID won't work if I try unlocking my phone without my glasses on.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Have you tried doing the setup without glasses on? Mine works fine with my regular glasses, but not my sunglasses.

Strange that it doesn't work in the dark for you, though.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

They shoulda put those animoji on all the other iphones. Crazy to limit them to a device for no reason. It doesn't even use the IR camera!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Endless Mike posted:

Have you tried doing the setup without glasses on? Mine works fine with my regular glasses, but not my sunglasses.

Strange that it doesn't work in the dark for you, though.
Yeah, I tried that the other day and I still don't think it scanned properly since it's still not unlocking every time. I'll have to rescan sometime.