Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Fintilgin posted:

Todd Howard watched Blade Runner one night, and the entire writing team had to frantically work backwards from there.

"Is 'Blade Runner' the one with Wesley Snipes in it?"

"No, that was 'Blade', but you know what gently caress it put Wesley Snipes in the game anyway."

And that's the story behind X6-88.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

"Is 'Blade Runner' the one with Wesley Snipes in it?"

"No, that was 'Blade', but you know what gently caress it put Wesley Snipes in the game anyway."

And that's the story behind X6-88.

Hahahahhaha

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Despite being warmongering fascists, I'd actually say the Brotherhood is the best bet for the Commonwealth. With the Institute destroyed, it makes the need for the Railroad irrelevant, and it ends the problem of synth infiltrators. Plus the Super Mutants in the commonwealth are finite after Virgil shut down the FEV program, so with Synths and Mutants out of the way, the Brotherhood can go about their business while leaving the Minutemen to police the region as a Brotherhood protectorate.
Really, when I played through the Railroad ending, I felt that finishing for the Railroad in charge destroyed the Railroad's need to exist.

The brotherhood has an army. They have unlimited vertibirds. They have laser weaponry that is automatic and not crankshot muskets. They have liberty prime. They lack mortars but they can convince the minutemen to stand down and see reason while the Railroad thinks they can take on hundreds of power armored tanks with a dozen men in a cellar.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Jun 5, 2018

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
The best ending, as always, is to take everything over yourself

No Gods No Masters

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Quick question: does/did the Fallout 3 GOTY release on GOG strip out GFWL? If I'm not mistaken, that cancer is still in the Steam release.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Arcsquad12 posted:

Despite being warmongering fascists, I'd actually say the Brotherhood is the best bet for the Commonwealth. With the Institute destroyed, it makes the need for the Railroad irrelevant, and it ends the problem of synth infiltrators. Plus the Super Mutants in the commonwealth are finite after Virgil shut down the FEV program, so with Synths and Mutants out of the way, the Brotherhood can go about their business while leaving the Minutemen to police the region as a Brotherhood protectorate.
Really, when I played through the Railroad ending, I felt that finishing for the Railroad in charge destroyed the Railroad's need to exist.

The brotherhood has an army. They have unlimited vertibirds. They have laser weaponry that is automatic and not crankshot muskets. They have liberty prime. They lack mortars but they can convince the minutemen to stand down and see reason while the Railroad thinks they can take on hundreds of power armored tanks with a dozen men in a cellar.

That power armour didn’t seem to do much good when I stormed Cambridge Police Station to steal a vertibird, and that army didn’t do much good when I dropped an airship on it, so colour me unimpressed.

I agree there’s not much need for the railroad after the institute is gone, but that strikes me as a plus, not a minus. The railroad ending effectively removes any outside interference in the affairs of the commonwealth and gives people the best chance of reestablishing an independent democratic government.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

chaosapiant posted:

Quick question: does/did the Fallout 3 GOTY release on GOG strip out GFWL? If I'm not mistaken, that cancer is still in the Steam release.

that's why i was asking. the comments on the gog version seem to indicate that gfwl ain't in there.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Reveilled posted:

That power armour didn’t seem to do much good when I stormed Cambridge Police Station to steal a vertibird, and that army didn’t do much good when I dropped an airship on it, so colour me unimpressed.

I agree there’s not much need for the railroad after the institute is gone, but that strikes me as a plus, not a minus. The railroad ending effectively removes any outside interference in the affairs of the commonwealth and gives people the best chance of reestablishing an independent democratic government.

This, but the Minutemen.

The railroad gives no shits about anything except the brave little toaster. Even endgame they only bother sending you after raiders that are mean to synths.

Brotherhood are only better than the raiders in that they demand protection money from the local communities instead of shooting first, and I don't believe for an instant that Proctor Teagan wouldn't murder the farms and install brotherhood people if they said no. They'd also wipe out every ghoul community.

Institute would just spend the next 200 years twirling their mustaches before building a shining future city on the mass grave that was the commonwealth

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Azhais posted:

This, but the Minutemen.

The railroad gives no shits about anything except the brave little toaster. Even endgame they only bother sending you after raiders that are mean to synths.

Brotherhood are only better than the raiders in that they demand protection money from the local communities instead of shooting first, and I don't believe for an instant that Proctor Teagan wouldn't murder the farms and install brotherhood people if they said no. They'd also wipe out every ghoul community.

Institute would just spend the next 200 years twirling their mustaches before building a shining future city on the mass grave that was the commonwealth

It could be argued that without player intervention, the Minutemen are the most inept and toothless of all the factions. At least the other three were accomplishing poo poo before the player came along.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

chaosapiant posted:

It could be argued that without player intervention, the Minutemen are the most inept and toothless of all the factions. At least the other three were accomplishing poo poo before the player came along.

Railroad and the Minutemen were both basically the same. Railroad was doing ok til they got crushed by the institute leaving them undermanned and barely scraping by. Minutemen were doing fine until a Mirelurk Queen leveled their home base and the remnants were betrayed by one of their own.

Brotherhood was the only one that was the opposite, cut off and alone until the player accidentally said "Maxsom" three times into a mirror at fort hagen thus summoning the airship.

TEENAGE WITCH
Jul 20, 2008

NAH LAD

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

:randvince:

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

chaosapiant posted:

We had a thread for several years dedicated to which side is better. Regardless of who you think is better/more justified, the fact that we had a thread about it as long as we did shows that Bethesda did something right.
tbh TES6 will probably involve Azula running a scheme that ends with the Aldmeri Dominion disappearing like the Dwarves did as a joke to amuse herself with, much like the demise of Dagoth Ur. The fact that it helped mortals is merely incidental to her.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I want to know why bethesda decided in fallout 4 to make every gun's receiver a left handed variant, but still held right handed. makes very little sense to shoot hot lead casings into your face.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Arcsquad12 posted:

I want to know why bethesda decided in fallout 4 to make every gun's receiver a left handed variant, but still held right handed. makes very little sense to shoot hot lead casings into your face.

The same reason all the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. games have the guns operated and spray out brass to the left, for the :pcgaming: visuals :pcgaming:

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

tbh TES6 will probably involve Azula running a scheme that ends with the Aldmeri Dominion disappearing like the Dwarves did as a joke to amuse herself with, much like the demise of Dagoth Ur. The fact that it helped mortals is merely incidental to her.

It would be kind of funny if they just skipped over the Dominion and had that get resolved in the background as they move on to something completely different. They nuked Morrowind and had the Empire get owned off screen after 3 and 4, so it wouldn't be unprecedented to just move on. It does seem like it would be a waste though.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

eonwe posted:

fallout 4s combat, fallout 3s environmental asthetic, new vegas' quests and characters in a new engine thats pretty

This is pretty much what every Fallout fan in TYOOL 2018 wants. Though I'd argue that the environmental aesthetic needs to be more green and non-desert postapoc. Less Mad Max, more The Last of Us.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
remind me what fallout 3's environment was besides blasted wasteland and concrete with a novelty aircraft carrier

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Azhais posted:

This, but the Minutemen.

The way I see it, the minutemen are sort of implicit for the most part in the other endings, in that they're not really exclusive of any of the other three. You can do the other factions' endings while being the leader of the minutemen, and if the railroad at least take out the institute it means the destruction of the institute is shrouded in some level of secrecy (I mean, sort of, nobody knows who they are despite their flags all over the place), which I think would be better for the future of democracy in the region if the local militia's reputation isn't too messianic.

Also, like you say, the Railroad send you after raiders which target synths, while the minutemen only send you after raiders which target the outlying human settlements, so if you work for both that's maximum raider destruction, an excellent result for the commonwealth.

Also Desdemona, while insufferable, is at least less insufferable than Preston.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
You work for Desdemona, you could fire Preston :v:

Also destroying the institute is about as subtle as nuking Boston. Oh wait...

Giggle Goose
Oct 18, 2009

dragonshardz posted:

This is pretty much what every Fallout fan in TYOOL 2018 wants. Though I'd argue that the environmental aesthetic needs to be more green and non-desert postapoc. Less Mad Max, more The Last of Us.

I think they could come to a compromise and meet in the middle. I'd love to see huge forests full of mutated monstrosities that were home to some mutated bees or some poo poo. They could set it in New Orleans and turn the bayous into full-on lovecraftian horror shows. The huge rear end hermit crabs were one of my favorite parts of Far Harbor and that whole DLC was really cool.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Azhais posted:

remind me what fallout 3's environment was besides blasted wasteland and concrete with a novelty aircraft carrier

Two rusty scrap metal shacks under a destroyed highway overpass with one person living in each of them. Somehow these living arrangements make sense 200 years after the war.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Azhais posted:

You work for Desdemona, you could fire Preston :v:

Also destroying the institute is about as subtle as nuking Boston. Oh wait...

Makes it all the more galling that I can't fire Preston :v:

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I'm about to play Fallout New Vegas for the first time and was wondering if there are any mods I should download and install before playing?

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Art direction is one of the things Fallout 3 got fairly right, in my opinion. The mix of quasi-Art Deco and neoclassical architecture with incongruous statuary everywhere did a good job separating Fallout 3's ruined city from everyone else's ruined city, the original weapon designs were generally pretty interesting, and mirelurks creeped me out way more than they should have.

Of course, they squandered a lot of this goodwill by reusing the same three interior templates 500,000 times. But they did have some artistic talent behind it.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Azhais posted:

Subway tunnels

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Fallout 3 had some of the best concept art I've ever seen for a game.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

The REAL Goobusters posted:

I'm about to play Fallout New Vegas for the first time and was wondering if there are any mods I should download and install before playing?

Go to https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/ and search for:

FNV4GB
New Vegas Script Extender
New Vegas Stutter Remover
New Vegas Anti-Crash
MCM
CASM
YUP

And anything those mods require(it'll say when you go to download them). That's all you need for a pretty optimised vanilla experience. There's a bunch of mods that do other things like expand the available equipment, enhance the lighting and effects, add back cut content and such as well, check out the modding thread here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3376713

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
They should have had deacon be shaun and have the father thing be a red herring.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

The REAL Goobusters posted:

I'm sure you're going to get a bunch of recommendations, but one of the ones I don't see much is Ultimate Invisible Wall Remover, which is a godsend if you're the sort of person who wants to climb every cliff you see, and is the one mod I 100% would not play New Vegas without.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Clawtopsy posted:

i just hated how retardedly scripted everything is

you must fight kellogg

there is no negotiation between the factions

the minutemen have to take over sanctuary

glory has to die

There's actually a trick to avoiding these scripted events: Play New Vegas instead.

But seriously, even though you're totally correct in what you're saying I still feel like Fallout 4 is a step in the right direction because it DOES manage to be less scripted then Fallout 3. In Fallout 4 you can at least choose a faction, as opposed to Fallout 3 in which you could either side with the brotherhood or go gently caress yourself.

I really do think Bethesda listens to feedback and does try to make improvements in the areas people complain about, with mixed results. Case in point: when the game first came out lots of people were complaining that you couldn't side with the raiders because they seem like they could be an interesting faction. Lo and behold, along come a DLC pack that lets you lead a bunch a raiders. You can't get an ending with them and they don't really integrate into the main plot and the raider settlement system is set up in kind of a dumb way, but it DOES exist! Progress!

At this rate Bethesda should be able to make the perfect Fallout game in a mere 60 years.

Space Cadet Omoly fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Jun 6, 2018

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

At this rate Bethesda should be able to make the perfect Fallout game in a mere 60 years.

It'll release just in time for the bombs to start falling

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

But seriously though, even though you're totally correct in what you're saying I still feel like Fallout 4 is a step in the right direction because it DOES manage to be less scripted then Fallout 3.

Well it did this by having less quests. If you think of the main story every quest is a scripted mess. Oh yea the follow the dog quest is so good.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Yeah I really liked the idea of getting to play as a raider (Powder Gang reputation in New Vegas was cool too), but adding it as an endgame thing where you'd raid the settlements you created and/or saved was too schizophrenic for me to even want to try. Plus I was just pretty burned out by the game when it came out anyway. I do think having factions was an improvement over 3, even if the implementation was a mixed bag.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Part one of the noclip doc on BGS came out and was really good. Definitely give it a watch.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I think Fallout 3 and 4 are both on par with each other. They both do things better and worse than the other game. And both worse than New Vegas by a wide margin.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Sinteres posted:

but adding it as an endgame thing where you'd raid the settlements you created and/or saved was too schizophrenic for me to even want to try.

lmao is that seriously how it works

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Fallout 4 has more than one character I like, so it's a bit of an improvement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Do the minutemen have to take over sanctuary? Can you just leave them in the museum forever?