Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Back when I played both during early Legion, WoW felt snappier but I generally enjoyed XIV more. There's definitely some things I prefer WoW for but it's a package deal and XIV is my preferred game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

Continuing with the Swallow's Compass discussion, I have had parties that just straight up die to the first boss just because they refuse to acknowledge the fireballs and just get blasted into oblivion, but then do the rest of the run fine. The trash mobs are super easy to kill (the morbol doesn't even hit that hard, just have to recognize when it's using bad breath so you don't get screwed over) and I love the way you move from area to area, instead of a big long corridor like the other two expert corridors, it feels like it's a lot more well designed as a dungeon.

Carew
Jun 22, 2006
24 mans being demanding or stressful is bizarre to me. Almost every run there are a few people who do nothing but fail mechanics and/or die and nobody ever gives a poo poo because the fights are so easy.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
I've done swallow's twice now, once as tank and once as healer. The only things i remember of that dungeon is a token "hide behind environment object" part, the last boss being Son Goku and surprisingly tough, that on the tank run, me + healer did 60% of the group damage, and as a healer i was top DPS on most trash pulls and barely had to heal except on bosses. Even with groups as inept as those, no one ever died and the only thng you need to actually be awake for is Son Goku.
I don't even remember the first boss, much less anything in between bosses, and only vaguely remember the second one because i get hit by the hand slam every single time.

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug

Control Volume posted:

Maybe its callous of me to say something like this but if you have to sedate yourself after having a panic attack at video game bosses, it seems like a bad idea to play that video game
The guy had to have cleared Steps of Faith at some point. I want to say he'd be fine, unless he skipped to 60 on his first job, but that just means he's got other problems.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
Just anecdotally I've had a handful of friends bumble through to endgame then bounce off immediately upon trying EX or savage content because their performance actually mattering for group success was too stressful. This guy is way past that but I kind of understand the general idea. I know the parser argument is tired and usually pushed to get people to see that they suck, but I wonder if it would help people like this see that they aren't doing as poorly as they think.

In fairness, due to lack of motivation to put myself out there, I haven't taken the time to learn the new EX primal, even though I'm sure the helpful folks of TPT would drag my rear end across the finish line for a clear if I asked.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
I usually avoid EX or Savage stuff because spending a few hours bouncing off the same fight over and over isn't my idea of fun, so I never get the mechanics down enough to feel comfortable running them in general. It's a bad cycle. :v:

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Relax Or DIE posted:

Just anecdotally I've had a handful of friends bumble through to endgame then bounce off immediately upon trying EX or savage content because their performance actually mattering for group success was too stressful.

Oh, definitely. The thing about anxiety is that the only way to minimize its effects (aside from anxiolytics) is to realistically evaluate anxiety-provoking situations and attempt to change your thinking around them. If someone came into Byakko Normal and did nothing but run up to the boss, do their combo, and then die to the mechanics, the most anyone is going to do is shrug to themselves and then complete the fight. The number of people I've run into who get downright pissy over poor performances in non-EX primals could be counted on one hand. This person has built up a wholly unrealistic idea about what doing normal primals entails and what people expect from their fellow party members in them.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Kitfox88 posted:

I usually avoid EX or Savage stuff because spending a few hours bouncing off the same fight over and over isn't my idea of fun, so I never get the mechanics down enough to feel comfortable running them in general. It's a bad cycle. :v:

Same here, I've done a few of the EX primals in the past (usually after they're no longer bleeding edge). But I only get to play for so many hours and I'd rather not spend a large chunk of that time beating my head against the same thing.

Swallows Compass is good fun as a WHM, though watching rando DPS eat every mechanic is annoying, but that's the life of a healer in general.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

Carew posted:

24 mans being demanding or stressful is bizarre to me. Almost every run there are a few people who do nothing but fail mechanics and/or die and nobody ever gives a poo poo because the fights are so easy.

Meanwhile, every run of Ridorana I've done so far has barely limped across the finish line. When two parties are completely dead on Famfrit and he's at 20%, you know you're in for an exciting run.

Kitfox88 posted:

Yep, that's me. Though lately I've been just doing my learning with friends, which helps a ton. I was super nervous that I'd drag the party down going into Moon Bun EX but then it turned out to be really easy and now I don't worry about doing it solo at all.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Kitfox88 posted:

That's basically my way of playing too. I haven't done any EX primals beyond Ravana/Bismark and I've never done any savage raiding beyond farming A1S for light once it was no longer relevant content.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

It's actually possible to solo every ARR ex primal fight. This is how I was able to get all my ponies.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
My introduction to EX fights was a number of people in my FC dragging me along to do Garuda EX. When I had no idea what iLevels were and was a fresh Level 50 not even wearing Ironworks Gear while they were all Level 70.

Needless to say, I would probably have never touched that content with a 60 foot pole were it not for

A) Wondrous Tails
B) Getting lucky on a Xanthos roll and feeling compelled to get the rest

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
lol @ the Doman Enclave increasing to 150% but still only 20k gil.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

At this point, they're actively encouraging me to exploit them with Demimateria.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

I did the math and bought up a bucketload of demimateria the other night, just so I don't have to worry about carting around gear drops to sell for a few hundred gil a piece. Just compressed all that poo poo to two inventory slots. There's only two achievements for Doman Reconstruction though, so I hope they track total contribution instead of just saying "alright 4.4 dropped, all of that overflow from 4.3 doesn't count."

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Rainuwastaken posted:

I did the math and bought up a bucketload of demimateria the other night, just so I don't have to worry about carting around gear drops to sell for a few hundred gil a piece. Just compressed all that poo poo to two inventory slots. There's only two achievements for Doman Reconstruction though, so I hope they track total contribution instead of just saying "alright 4.4 dropped, all of that overflow from 4.3 doesn't count."

It will most certainly be the latter.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Just....just let me dream for now. I know better, really, but still.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Pretty much every achievement tree based off a counter has that counter keep running even after you get the last current achievement.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

At this point, they're actively encouraging me to exploit them with Demimateria.

Empty quote.

I appreciate whomever in TPT that mentioned this at 4.3 release.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I like how they made Ultima Weapon (Ultimate) as a pretense for just making Titan (Ultimate) after all.

Double Landslide. :stonk:

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
What do you mean "double landslide"? Titanex already has five-way landslide, how could it possibly get worse?

-famous last words

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Cabbit posted:

That's just an issue of familiarity. Having played significantly more WoW than XIV, WoW feels extremely snappy and responsive while XIV mostly feels like I'm playing through molasses. Everything is ponderously slow, even with the OGCDs, especially movement.

But that's just because I'm used to a different game. They're different games, they do different things. It's a refreshing change of pace.

Yeah I dunno, I've played a ton more WoW than ffxiv, but I immediately felt ffxiv was a massive improvement when I started playing it. WoW's gameplay felt incredibly weird and slow when I tried it again in legion.

Alakaiser
Jan 3, 2007

And the Lord Josh said, "Blessed are those cast away by Belichick, theirs is the kingdom of Denver." (Tebow 1:25)
As someone who played WoW for years and years (including vanilla raiding because I was/am an idiot) I don't think I could go back if for no other reason than FFXIV's controller support completely changed how I approach these games and I get very upset when it's not there.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Rainuwastaken posted:

I just saved all my Allagan silver pieces from 18-hour ventures. You only need like 25 of them to max out the donations for the week.

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Alakaiser posted:

As someone who played WoW for years and years (including vanilla raiding because I was/am an idiot) I don't think I could go back if for no other reason than FFXIV's controller support completely changed how I approach these games and I get very upset when it's not there.

Yep, I tried playing Guild Wars 2 but the lack of any kind of controller support basically drove me away.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
I never raided in WoW but I have warm memories of clearing dungeons with my friends and FFXIV makes doing that even easier now so it's pretty perfect for me. Looking forward to getting up to about midcore status - ultimates look a little extreme for me but I could probably handle everything up to that.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

DizzyBum posted:

I just saved all my Allagan silver pieces from 18-hour ventures. You only need like 25 of them to max out the donations for the week.

I knew I held onto all those int materia for a reason.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

DizzyBum posted:

I have my two retainers on a permanent rotation of Quick Venture, so sadly I never have any allagan pieces. :shrug:

Meicyn
Aug 22, 2006

Rainuwastaken posted:

I have my two retainers on a permanent rotation of Quick Venture, so sadly I never have any allagan pieces. :shrug:
I just spend poetics for demicrystals from Hismena in Idyllshire. 25 poetics for each, worth 500 gil.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

Meicyn posted:

I just spend poetics for demicrystals from Hismena in Idyllshire. 25 poetics for each, worth 500 gil.

Oh, you sweet summer child. If you absolutely need to convert poetics to gil, buy Unidentifiable Ore and trade it for Grade 3 topsoil, which sells briskly at at least several thousand gil a pop. If you want stuff to give to the Domans, just look for Allagan pieces/clear demimateria/low grade materia on the MB selling for vendor value or below.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

I just open 30 Eureka chests and max out my donation.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

jalapeno_dude posted:

Oh, you sweet summer child. If you absolutely need to convert poetics to gil, buy Unidentifiable Ore and trade it for Grade 3 topsoil, which sells briskly at at least several thousand gil a pop. If you want stuff to give to the Domans, just look for Allagan pieces/clear demimateria/low grade materia on the MB selling for vendor value or below.

Gonna quote this so I remember it later, because I've just hit 500k gil for the first time and I will soon be desperate for money subsequent to buying an apartment somewhere.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015
So possibly because I'm currently connecting to the NA servers from Europe but more likely because I have zero hand-eye coordination, it took me like 4 minutes to complete the Namazu quest Bull's-eye. I couldn't move the mouse fast enough to get to most of the targets and ended up just hovering between a few spots in the center and waiting for a target to randomly spawn in one of those spots. Am I missing something incredibly obvious? Also, out of curiosity, is this easier or is it absolutely impossible with a controller? It seems like it would be one of the two.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Cabbit posted:

Gonna quote this so I remember it later, because I've just hit 500k gil for the first time and I will soon be desperate for money subsequent to buying an apartment somewhere.

My friend, you can do 500k in raw cash in an afternoon just by joining a gazelle leather treasure hunt. That's not counting any possible loot you might be grabbing (which itself will probably sell for 500k each), or all the random materia drops you'll get during it - i'm just counting pure gil rewards.
If you're too lazy for that, you can always just sell your daily DoL map for 30-50k. Sometimes even older maps sell, peisteskin goes for 100k on my server right now.

Even lazier way: Do roulettes as a tank. Well, any adventurer in need role, but it's usually tank. That gil bonus piles up. For all the stuff i sell on the market board, i never actually take the money off the retainer, and i sell even my allagan pieces on the market. Sometimes i spend loadsa money on something on the market and am down to like 120k, and just by getting adventurer bonus, i'll end up breaking a million a few weeks later.

Rainuwastaken posted:

Meanwhile, every run of Ridorana I've done so far has barely limped across the finish line. When two parties are completely dead on Famfrit and he's at 20%, you know you're in for an exciting run.

On my last run of Ridorana, people didn't kill the adds in time. The whole raid got 2 stacks of magic vuln up, and most people dropped after the next cast, at roughly 20% as you said. I was the only survivor of my party, and only like 4 or 5 other people were still standing.
I think a healer was still alive, but no one in my party got rezzed. Nor any/many people from other groups. Eventually, the people started releasing.
We ended up killing him after a very drawn out fight, and i survived to the end despite my whole group being dead and never getting a single heal. He doesn't actually do a lot of damage if you, well, do the mechanics right.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Rainuwastaken posted:

Easy solution: buy then off the MB from dumbs who list them at or below vendor trash price. There's always at least a few.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Is this still accurate

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

It's not the 3 Sen opener so it is dead to me (I am too lazy to memorize two different openers for the same job)

E: this is what I use http://ffxivrotations.com/rm4

Thundarr fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Jun 5, 2018

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
I never learned the 3 sen opener because the single sen one just spoke to me.

So yes, the opener part of that is fine. The rest is just picture vomit of 'use your buttons as they come off CD, don't forget to refresh higanbana or save enough kenki for sword lasers'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Holy gently caress! That swerve with the UwU fight is the most incredible thing.

YoshiP and his team are messengers of Satan.