Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I think De Leon would actually have a decent shot of toppling Feinstein in the general if he makes it through the primary. His big problem now is that he lacks legitimacy/recognition from the average voter, but if he gets a bigger stage and a few months to really lay into voters that he's the more liberal option to Feinstein, I think he could make it competitive at the very least.

My dream scenario is that Republicans fail to get a candidate to the general for both Governor and Senate, and with no Federal election candidates to pull for it depresses GOP voter turnout enough to swing us into full liberal territory. It's a longshot, but very much in the cards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Dumb Lowtax posted:

For Senator is just says "Not Feinstein" but who is the particular "not Feinstein" that we're all voting for?

DeLeon is good. He was in the mix during the UHC legislation.

Here’s a link to the podcast I was talking about. I’m not going to put any energy into defending Persky but I don’t believe the argument is dishonest.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/aider-and-abettor-podcast/id1198837585?mt=2&i=1000393566090

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

CopperHound posted:

If my ballot just says DE LEON, I don't think they are going to do anything special for him.

It begins!

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Jaxyon posted:

That voter guide also says that there's an argument to going Villarigosa, as he's close to being #2 and it denies Cox a platform. Which is not a bad strategy.

The argument for 72 among people i've talked to is Prop 13 is going to be there forever and any water saving is good.
Villaraigosa is terrible and locking him out of the visibility of that race is good. Villar is basically a Republican so if no one else can topple the Newsomania might as well toss a crazy Republican up there so he can complain about TAXES and EDUCATION and hail Trump.

But I'm probably being idealistic and since this is the Worst Timeline he'll probably win.

Chipping away at 13 is a good thing, and the relative modest impact of raincatchers should be tertiary to reforming water use in the state's agribusiness. At least that's what I've heard.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I was listening to FiveThirtyEight's politics podcast this morning on my way to work and they mentioned Newsom has been propping up Cox on the sly because he'd rather run against a Republican than have to get in the weeds vs another Dem. Not sure how accurate this is but it sounds plausible given what I know about our boy Gavin.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Sydin posted:

I was listening to FiveThirtyEight's politics podcast this morning on my way to work and they mentioned Newsom has been propping up Cox on the sly because he'd rather run against a Republican than have to get in the weeds vs another Dem. Not sure how accurate this is but it sounds plausible given what I know about our boy Gavin.

How can anyone still think that sort of opposition-propping is still a good idea?

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

FilthyImp posted:

Villaraigosa is terrible and locking him out of the visibility of that race is good. Villar is basically a Republican so if no one else can topple the Newsomania might as well toss a crazy Republican up there so he can complain about TAXES and EDUCATION and hail Trump.
I'm afraid he might catch enough of the 'not Gavin Newsome' vote in November to win. The other candidates not so much.

E: ^ and apparently Newsom might have similar thoughts as me.

E2: we probably live in the hosed up timeline where our choice ends up being between Villaraigosa and Cox.

CopperHound fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Jun 5, 2018

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

FilthyImp posted:

But I'm probably being idealistic and since this is the Worst Timeline he'll probably win.

Chipping away at 13 is a good thing, and the relative modest impact of raincatchers should be tertiary to reforming water use in the state's agribusiness. At least that's what I've heard.

Yes, Villa and 13 both suck.

Strategic voting (in Villaraigosa's case) isn't about liking the guy, it's about the least worst option. Their argument is that having 2 Dems on the ticket is better than giving a fascist a platform for the next 6 mos.

I don't agree with the arguments in support of 72 but I'm just saying why people on the left are voting for it.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Kuvo posted:

:negative: Well I guess ill go no on C and yes on D with the hope that G will pass (it funds education).

Looking at the Lt Gov race, someone help convince me between Kounalakis and Bleich. They both have very similar stances on issues, experience, and endorsements. Any skeletons in either of their closets?
Gayle McLaughlin yo

also crosspostin' this from the SD thread

Since local elections can be tougher to get good info on, gonna stan for a few here. In particular, I never know poo poo about all the local judges on the ballot, but this time around a friend of mine in law school who spends a lot of time in court for her internship had some revealing anecdotes about Judge Herbert Exarhos in particular.

quote:

I worked under him in PD office. He once ruled that a security officer (not a police officer) pulling a man's hands out of his pockets, and the man resisting, was robbery because the man used "force" against the security. Then because he had a knife in his pocket it was armed robbery.

Constantly with that poo poo. Officers testified in another case that a man wasn't resisting and wasn't kicking and they didn't get hurt... judge still bound over resisting arrest AND violent resisting.

So vote for Vikki Rothman for Judge office #28.

Also hopefully goons are smart enough to support Genevieve Jones-Wright and Dave Myers for DA and Sheriff, respectively.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

OurRev EastBay is saying in an infographic that they oppose RM3 but I can’t find a single thing online about it except the infographic. Weird.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Also the majority of voters turn out to back high profile (ie: federal) candidates. If there's no Republican choice for Governor or Senator come November, it could easily depress Republican turnout enough that Dems would sweep some local elections they otherwise may not have. There's a reason Trump recently tweeted out that GOP voters need to rally around Cox to prevent him from getting swept up by our primary process.

That said I'm absolutely not voting for Villaraigosa even if it's the best thing to do strategically, but I understand why somebody else might. I'm going to be one of those sad losers who chips in to Eastin's 4% vote total.

mike-
Jul 9, 2004

Phillipians 1:21
I voted for Villaraigosa mostly because he’s Mexican American and Renteria doesn’t have any shot.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

mike- posted:

I voted for Villaraigosa mostly because he’s Mexican American and Renteria doesn’t have any shot.

Lol

:crossarms:

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

If I choose 'write in' without putting down a name, would it count as not voting or as voting against the Contra Costa County sheriff who is unopposed?

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

FilthyImp posted:

Ok, so that's not exactly honest since the issue isn't that the judge didn't pursue strict enough punishment, it's that he literally stepped in and said that the guy's punishment was way out of line with his sports accomplishments and would ruin this Fine Upstanding Young Man's prospects in life and basically slapped him on the wrist DESPITE there being like three witnesses pulling him off of the victim and DNA evidence. It's not an issue of encouraging Touch Crime stances, it's about a guy that has an obvious bias in sexual violence cases.

Even now, that shitsucker is like "I can't believe people are so upset! I can't understand all the hate".

wait is this the stanford rapist's judge? lol

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

mike- posted:

also lmao

Sydin posted:

Also the majority of voters turn out to back high profile (ie: federal) candidates. If there's no Republican choice for Governor or Senator come November, it could easily depress Republican turnout enough that Dems would sweep some local elections they otherwise may not have. There's a reason Trump recently tweeted out that GOP voters need to rally around Cox to prevent him from getting swept up by our primary process.

That said I'm absolutely not voting for Villaraigosa even if it's the best thing to do strategically, but I understand why somebody else might. I'm going to be one of those sad losers who chips in to Eastin's 4% vote total.

tyool 2018 where voting for the best candidate makes you a sad loser

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Shear Modulus posted:

tyool 2018 where voting for the best candidate makes you a sad loser

Welcome to the worst timeline, food and beverages are available in the back of the room.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Trabisnikof posted:

OurRev EastBay is saying in an infographic that they oppose RM3 but I can’t find a single thing online about it except the infographic. Weird.

As a follow up, looks like the local OurRev groups oppose RM3, DSA chapters have no stated opinions, Unions and yimbys are obviously pro, transit groups are pro.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

It looks like RM3 will fund good stuff but increasing tolls is one of the worst ways to pay for transportation investments.

vektuz
Sep 19, 2005
Endangered Species
Well, just got back from voting in the 48th.

It was completely utterly deserted, not a single other voter arrived in the entire time. Just a bank of 12 empty machines and 3-4 election staff thats super happy to see someone, anyone.

As they flipped through the book that contains all the names it was also devoid of checked off names, all blank. I'm hoping there's a night time rush or something but this was at about noon.

or maybe I'm the decider!!!

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Maybe you goons don't see this where you are at but in my Sacramento area location the primary Newsom ad on TV is basically a Cox ad aka "he believes in lower taxes, a strong border and supports President Trump his name is Cox! oh by the way vote for Gavin instead"

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Sydin posted:

but vil is a republican??? Gavin what are you doing

Alst
Aug 9, 2007
s

vektuz posted:

Well, just got back from voting in the 48th.

It was completely utterly deserted, not a single other voter arrived in the entire time. Just a bank of 12 empty machines and 3-4 election staff thats super happy to see someone, anyone.

As they flipped through the book that contains all the names it was also devoid of checked off names, all blank. I'm hoping there's a night time rush or something but this was at about noon.

or maybe I'm the decider!!!

Just vote by mail

Also, It says my ballot hasn't been counted, but the return date is 1/1/1775. I mailed it in last week. I'm guessing its not updated yet?

Alst fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Jun 5, 2018

vektuz
Sep 19, 2005
Endangered Species

Wuet88 posted:

Just vote by mail

Also, It says my ballot hasn't been counted, but the return date is 1/1/1775. I mailed it in last week. I'm guessing its not updated yet?

The reason I brought it up was not to highlight the inconvenience of voting but the emptiness of the place. Previous primaries (and of course generals) have actually been significantly busier at this time.

Alst
Aug 9, 2007
s

vektuz posted:

The reason I brought it up was not to highlight the inconvenience of voting but the emptiness of the place. Previous primaries (and of course generals) have actually been significantly busier at this time.

No one in my office seems to even know there is an election. I feel turn out will be pretty low.

vektuz
Sep 19, 2005
Endangered Species

Wuet88 posted:

No one in my office seems to even know there is an election. I feel turn out will be pretty low.

I've made sure the ones I work with do know, but a lot of them definitely did not, yeah, when I made sure to let them know.

vektuz fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jun 5, 2018

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Sydin posted:

I'm going to be one of those sad losers who chips in to Eastin's 4% vote total.

My mother last year changed her party from Republican to Democrat and I convinced her to vote Eastin this AM. Eastmentum, baby!

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

As an outer stater, how bad is Gavin other than him looking evil as gently caress?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Also not to shill FiveThirtyEight again but they did a fairly comprehensive article on why Feinstein is still doing so well despite California getting more and more liberal. The answer, as you may expect, is fairly complicated but can mostly be distilled down to "white people"

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

buglord posted:

yeah same here, I didnt do my homework either!

e: also this voter guide is a little sensationalist, to put it lightly.

its good lol. i like the visceral wording. it grabs you by the neck. muscular. strong.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Shear Modulus posted:

wait is this the stanford rapist's judge? lol

yea lol

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
The Palo Alto Post was really playing up the fact that it has cost like $3.1 million for the recall.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Panfilo posted:

The Palo Alto Post was really playing up the fact that it has cost like $3.1 million for the recall.

:qq: won't these women think of the poor money!!! metoo has gone too far!

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

hey if you're in CA42 please vote out ken calvert he's a huge piece of poo poo and julia peacock is p sweet

unfortunately this district is R+10 and the last R stronghold in Riverside County so it's not gonna happen :/

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Smythe posted:

its good lol. i like the visceral wording. it grabs you by the neck. muscular. strong.

it just makes me suspicious of it more because everyone here swayed by neck-grabbing wording has been completely absorbed by Fox News.

Although living in Fresno makes voting kinda easier because you can vote the opposite of what everyone says to vote and you'll have a decently liberal ballot.

Its still wild to me that despite the Central Valley's overwhelming hispanic population, its still heavily pro-trump. Though it makes more sense when two Mexico born people I know want closed borders.

buglord fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Jun 5, 2018

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

buglord posted:

it just makes me suspicious of it more because everyone here swayed by neck-grabbing wording has been completely absorbed by Fox News.

Although living in Fresno makes voting kinda easier because you can vote the opposite of what everyone says to vote and you'll have a decently liberal ballot.

Its still wild to me that despite the Central Valley's overwhelming hispanic population, its still heavily pro-trump. Though it makes more sense when two Mexico born people I know want closed borders.

i dont want to derail and post some dumb poo poo but i personally think its good and high time that progressives loving dump the milquetoast middling decorum hogwash and take these vile plutocrat bastards to the top rope and piledrive them until the mat collapses through the ground and takes their infected bodies and brains down to the burning halls of hell. tbh

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Shageletic posted:

As an outer stater, how bad is Gavin other than him looking evil as gently caress?

As far as I can tell, Gavin has been on the fast track to political rise for over a decade now, which turns people off. Same way people viewed Hillary being groomed as an eventual president, and thus were put off by here even though logically she was one of the most thoroughly vetted and experienced candidates for the job in modern history.

He screams white privileged to most people, and American Psycho to others. It doesn't help that I believe most people wouldn't be able to tell him apart from Eric/Don Jr. Trump in a blind line up.

He also talks in word salad, but in a competent under-deliver and under-promise politician way, not in a Trump way. I remember Colbert called him on it like a decade ago on the Colbert Report.

He did vote pro-gay marriage in SF, so just a reminder that like regardless of the above points he will 1000000% be better than any Republican candidate ever.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Smythe posted:

i dont want to derail and post some dumb poo poo but i personally think its good and high time that progressives loving dump the milquetoast middling decorum hogwash and take these vile plutocrat bastards to the top rope and piledrive them until the mat collapses through the ground and takes their infected bodies and brains down to the burning halls of hell. tbh

I guess thats fair enough. I can only dream of that reality.

Also im very happy that the 24/7 political campaigning on TV will come to an end.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
IIRC he didn't just "vote" gay marriage, didn't he like unilaterally implement it when it wasn't strictly legal or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

jeeves posted:

As far as I can tell, Gavin has been on the fast track to political rise for over a decade now, which turns people off. Same way people viewed Hillary being groomed as an eventual president, and thus were put off by here even though logically she was one of the most thoroughly vetted and experienced candidates for the job in modern history.

He screams white privileged to most people, and American Psycho to others. It doesn't help that I believe most people wouldn't be able to tell him apart from Eric/Don Jr. Trump in a blind line up.

He also talks in word salad, but in a competent under-deliver and under-promise politician way, not in a Trump way. I remember Colbert called him on it like a decade ago on the Colbert Report.

He did vote pro-gay marriage in SF, so just a reminder that like regardless of the above points he will 1000000% be better than any Republican candidate ever.

Gavin will be a perfectly fine governor in terms of endorsing liberal things and resisting conservative things. The "problem", as has been articulated so well by others in this thread, is that he's not running because he thinks he's the best person for the job or because he has a grand vision for California, but because the Governorship is the next rung on his political ladder and by golly he is going to climb that ladder to the top. It's nakedly nothing more than a springboard to the presidency for him, which is kind of lovely and a differentiator from other candidates like Eastin or even the current reign of God Emperor MoonbeamTM who have a very clear vested interest in the well being of the state that extends beyond their own political aspirations.