Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.

CelticPredator posted:

Yeah, the fact that they won’t be doing that. There will never be a Solo sequel.

You don't need a Solo sequel to address those things.

You have two other spin-offs in the pipeline that tie into both of those plotlines at near fundamental levels (Obi-Wan/Maul, Fett/Criminal Underworld). They can carry on with Maul/Qi-ra if they want to fairly easily.

I don't believe Rebels said when Obi-Wan saw Maul last. The only real sticking point would be that any new meeting would probably have to happen somewhere other than Tatooine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Teek posted:

You don't need a Solo sequel to address those things.

You have two other spin-offs in the pipeline that tie into both of those plotlines at near fundamental levels (Obi-Wan/Maul, Fett/Criminal Underworld). They can carry on with Mail/Qi-ra if they want to fairly easily.

I don't believe Rebels said when Obi-Wan saw Maul last. The only real sticking point would be that any new meeting would probably have to happen somewhere other than Tatooine.

Obi Wan killed Maul on Tatooine

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I wouldn't be surprised if Maul just never shows back up in any Star Wars movie and they just expect people to go off and watch Clone Wars and Rebels instead. I think that's a bit of a rubbish move. I'm already inclined to watch them but someone like (for instance) my dad, who likes Star Wars movies well enough and always goes to see them in the cinema but isn't into all the extraneous stuff, isn't going to go off and watch something like five seasons of a children's cartoon to find out how Maul got to where he is in Solo and what he did next.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

CelticPredator posted:

Yeah, the fact that they won’t be doing that. There will never be a Solo sequel.

that's why i said "in the obi wan movie" :confused:

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.

Davros1 posted:

Obi Wan killed Maul on Tatooine

Yeah? That's why I said it would probably have to deal with them meeting at another location, since the point of his arc there was looking for him. There's still like 7 years between Solo and that Rebels appearance where the Obi-Wan movie could take place.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Like Jenny Nicholson said in her review, what would be the point of including Qi'ra in the Obi Wan movie? There's nothing to her except for her relationship with Han. There's nothing compelling left to be resolved. Jivjov would be the only person in the entire world excited to see her again.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Teek posted:

Yeah? That's why I said it would probably have to deal with them meeting at another location, since the point of his arc there was looking for him. There's still like 7 years between Solo and that Rebels appearance where the Obi-Wan movie could take place.

Sorry, misread your post

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Kenobi: Chopping Maul: A Star Wars Story

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.

pospysyl posted:

Like Jenny Nicholson said in her review, what would be the point of including Qi'ra in the Obi Wan movie? There's nothing to her except for her relationship with Han. There's nothing compelling left to be resolved. Jivjov would be the only person in the entire world excited to see her again.

We know Crimson Dawn has influence on Tatooine, as Warwick Davis's character was from there. While it isn't the strongest of connections, it works. As to her weight as a character, I agree that the Han piece is the largest tie in. Though there's room to play there with her getting in to deep and the ramifications of how that affects her and the others Dawn targets.

Set the movie up as Crimson Dawn getting into conflict with the Hutts or other local crime organizations, which forces Obi-Wan to come out of hiding and settle things down. I go back to my constant Star Wars Yojimbo refrain when it comes to this potential movie.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Paul Kenobi, Maul Chop

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

pospysyl posted:

oh did she scoop me on that guess too?

god drat it, i guess i should watch that video. i keep putting it off

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Teek posted:

They'd be as well to just ignore Rebels if they wanted to do some kind of Obi-Wan vs Maul showdown. They can both "count". Probably.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Personally I can't wait to see Darth Maul's Party Town on the big screen.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Darth_Maul%27s_Party_Town

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

As a contrast, I haven’t seen any reactionary Elysium or Chappie fans.

Chappie's too much of a subversion of the macho male wish fulfillment trope. There's a guy at my work who was all geeked about the movie up to release and when it came out, he hated how "childish" they made Chappie and how off-putting Die Antwood were.

He was expecting Terminator and got the creation of Adam story instead.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

AndyElusive posted:

A show where the first interracial kiss took place is extremely not progressive.

You read it here first on the Something Awful Forums.

The implied question is: what are the qualities of Star Wars and Star Trek that create toxic, reactionary elements of their fanbases?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Waffles Inc. posted:

The implied question is: what are the qualities of Star Wars and Star Trek that create toxic, reactionary elements of their fanbases?

Well, in the case of Star Wars, it's all about friendship, trust, living on the right side and avoiding the dark side. :v:

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Waffles Inc. posted:

Being popular long-running series that people have childhood attachments to, and thus become weirdly possessive of. Elysium and Chappie are both one-offs.

It's sort of begging the question, the "correct" answer is "these films are properly Marxist and thus cannot be interpreted in reactionary ways" but that's disingenuous at best.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

ruddiger posted:

Chappie's too much of a subversion of the macho male wish fulfillment trope. There's a guy at my work who was all geeked about the movie up to release and when it came out, he hated how "childish" they made Chappie and how off-putting Die Antwood were.

Chappie owns hard

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Maxwell Lord posted:

Being popular long-running series that people have childhood attachments to, and thus become weirdly possessive of. Elysium and Chappie are both one-offs.

It's sort of begging the question, the "correct" answer is "these films are properly Marxist and thus cannot be interpreted in reactionary ways" but that's disingenuous at best.

Is the only reason people are being toxic and evil because they have childhood attachments tho?

Like, it's not a coincidence that, say, Rick and Morty has the worst fanbase on the Internet, or that the prequels are the most vocally disliked and memed by dickbags; content matters

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

Waffles Inc. posted:

My immediate answer is people aren't logical and form attachments to art that directly undermines their own worldview, especially heavily marketed products such as SW and ST that saturate media consciousness. TNG can be explicitly about a post-scarcity communist utopia, or DS9 can be explicitly about resistance to colonialism, but Ted Cruz is still a fan. Ted Cruz. Similarly you still get people who fail moral tests designed for 3-year-olds and think 'hmm maybe the Empire is good and has a point' in SW. Just statistically speaking, because of the number of fans, you're going to get a large contingent who are shitheads, regardless of the messages you endorse in the art itself.

Not to say the question you raise isn't worthwhile of course.

e: I think for the question to be worthwhile you need to show that SW fandom is especially toxic (which I don't disagree with going on a gut feeling!)

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

J_RBG posted:

e: I think for the question to be worthwhile you need to show that SW fandom is especially toxic (which I don't disagree with going on a gut feeling!)

that's totally fair

my guess is that the SW fandom "feels" more toxic than others at the moment due to Rose stuff and that liking or disliking TLJ seems to have developed into a politically partisan issue. my guess is that saying "I didn't like TLJ" would get one associated with right wingers in online spaces now, which is pretty weird

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I wouldn’t think that unless you brought up Rose and how she’s there to appease some market or how ugly she is. Then I’m gonna HMMM real hard atcha.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Waffles Inc. posted:

that's totally fair

my guess is that the SW fandom "feels" more toxic than others at the moment due to Rose stuff and that liking or disliking TLJ seems to have developed into a politically partisan issue. my guess is that saying "I didn't like TLJ" would get one associated with right wingers in online spaces now, which is pretty weird

i mean, it's also kind of a numbers game. there are a lot of star wars fans out there, since y'know, it's one of the biggest pop culture franchises of the past 40 years. it might not be that much more filled with bigoted shitheads percentage-wise than any other fandom

which admittedly isn't much of a comfort for people who get targeted by those dudes

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Waffles Inc. posted:

that's totally fair

By the same token, what's the deal with this "alt-right whacks latching on to DC movies" stereotype?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Wheat Loaf posted:

By the same token, what's the deal with this "alt-right whacks latching on to DC movies" stereotype?

There are a few extremely vocal ones, like the troll on Facebook that takes credit for hurting Disney rotten tomatoes fan scores

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Wheat Loaf posted:

If I had to guess, I'd say this has as much to do with the belief that the Marvel films are progressive and the long time rivalry between the Marvel and DC companies than anything concretely in the films.

Edit: to build on this, it's important to recognize that Star Wars, Star Trek, the Marvel EU, the DCEU, and so on are not films but franchises. If you're interested in their fanbases and their fanbases' behavior, then you can't limit yourself to examining the contents of their films.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Jun 6, 2018

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Schwarzwald posted:

If I had to guess, I'd say this has as much to do with the belief that the Marvel films are progressive and the long time rivalry between the Marvel and DC companies than anything concretely in the films.

And yeah aren't Marvel comics "progressive" because of (great) books like Ms. Marvel and Squirrel Girl?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Its poo poo like this that I just DON'T UNDERSTAND.

The mere existence of an Asian female in Star Wars is apparently some kind of deep agenda

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

jivjov posted:

The mere existence of an Asian female in Star Wars is apparently some kind of deep agenda

The kid who played child Anakin was bullied so hard his parents had to pull him out of school, he turned to drugs to cope, and IIRC is currently incarcerated following a psychotic break.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

jivjov posted:

If the deep agenda is to turn Star Wars from a timeless fairy tale (cf Kersh in the ESB commentary) into a marvel-fied blockbuster then they have succeeded.

I think the racists think this has something to do with diversifying melanin count because they’re unable to articulate in any other way why it’s so different from the OT.

And even that is false. There’s an Asian with lines in ROTJ (Telsij).

They’re mad at the writing, the story telling, and the character development (not just for the newbies but especially re: Luke). They just don’t know how to express it and default to racism for some reason.

No one was saying “Get that darkie off the screen” when Lando first appeared. That’s because he was cool. Rose is not cool.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

jivjov posted:

Star Wars is very white.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
The only film in existence that I don't like talking about is The Last Jedi. The discourse around it is unbearably political.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

ruddiger posted:

Not a big fan of Chappie but I thought Die Antwoord was an inspired choice, they fit in that film really well.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Milky Moor posted:

The only film in existence that I don't like talking about is The Last Jedi. The discourse around it is unbearably political.

It depends on what you’re saying.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Hot off the presses: my dad’s email after seeing Solo

quote:

Saw it. Lots of action, mostly action. Liked how it told the backstory to the '77 movie. Had a hard time seeing this Han as the Harrison Ford Han. Ron Howard's brother got a cameo, of course. Had to get up to pee midway through. Shouldn't have had the icee. Someday I'll have to watch each episode in order.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Canemacar posted:

The kid who played child Anakin was bullied so hard his parents had to pull him out of school, he turned to drugs to cope, and IIRC is currently incarcerated following a psychotic break.

Coulda told George to pick the blonde kid from the tryouts.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

CelticPredator posted:

It depends on what you’re saying.

This is precisely my point. I imply I don't like the film -- but you should be aware of my post history, really, given how much we butted heads about it -- and you immediately leap to 'Well, have you considered not saying racist things about Kelly Marie Tran?'

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

CelticPredator posted:

Star Wars is very white.

Yes.

Is Black Panther very black?

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Canemacar posted:

Yes.

Is Black Panther very black?

Both movies are very green, because they are both cutthroat products of a cynical capitalist culture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Part of the problem is that a lot of people in the Twitter/tumblr/etc. arguments ARE at least mixing in semi-legit points of criticism but are doing so in contexts where it's a little... badgering, like, say, replying to a random tweet by Rian Johnson with "What was the point of Canto Bight". And that's getting bundled into the more overtly "SJW Agenda" crap- like, "the reason the film has these flaws is because they were more concerned with having minority characters and women do things".

Like here, everyone on this thread I can be pretty sure is not part of that poo poo-rear end mindset, whether they like or dislike the movie. You're all okay. In the wild, the shitheads are muddying the waters and simultaneously extending the debate well past the point that anyone else cares. Most of us have said our piece.