Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

JethroMcB posted:

Now that they are in the Big Apple, what are the odds that the Ventures will run into some kind of NYC sewer-dwelling misfits of super-science in the upcoming season (Turtles, CHUDs, etc.)

They already did that in what goes up must come down. IM TRAPPED WITH A CONFESSED ARSONIST, BROCK

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

TK-42-1 posted:

They already did that in what goes up must come down. IM TRAPPED WITH A CONFESSED ARSONIST, BROCK

That is easily one of my favorite single Rusty lines.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

RandallODim posted:

That is easily one of my favorite single Rusty lines.

I've pointed it out before as a perfect example of how to do a pop-culture reference in a funny, clever way. In other shows that rely heavily on pop-culture references, they would explicitly spell it out: "I'm trapped down here with a guy who looks like the guy from the Prodigy video for the song Firestarter!" and then some fourth-wall-breaky, self-referential joke about how lazy the writers of the show are.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

I've pointed it out before as a perfect example of how to do a pop-culture reference in a funny, clever way. In other shows that rely heavily on pop-culture references, they would explicitly spell it out: "I'm trapped down here with a guy who looks like the guy from the Prodigy video for the song Firestarter!" and then some fourth-wall-breaky, self-referential joke about how lazy the writers of the show are.

Ehhhh, Venture Bros ain't above that. If it had been Pete White instead of Rusty, that would have been the line.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
They know what characters would be pendantic and which ones would not be. Doc doesn't care about anything but himself so of course he's not going to reference anything. Peter or Billy or 21 would organically reference things perfectly.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
When did Rusty stop following pop culture or any kind of recent fashion anyway? mid eighties?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

SeanBeansShako posted:

When did Rusty stop following pop culture or any kind of recent fashion anyway? mid eighties?

I used to work at a record store in the suburbs, and I met a ton of guys like Doc who basically stopped paying attention as soon as Yes stopped putting out new material.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I wonder if those guys have also developed some....interesting cocktail combinations.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

SeanBeansShako posted:

I wonder if those guys have also developed some....interesting cocktail combinations.

If I remember properly don't a lot of Rusty's cocktails start out with the crew discovering a real weird cocktail that works nonetheless and then they make it gross by changing around how much of certain ingredients are used

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Venture Bros s1-6 boxset is out in Australia and (for today only I think) 20% off at JB Hi Fi so I might get two sets, one for me and one for my brother.

$36 for every Venture Bros episode ever is the best drat deal

https://www.jbhifi.com.au/movies-tv-shows/movies-tv-shows-on-sale/tv-animation/venture-bros-the-box-of-calamitous-content/631685/

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Hedrigall posted:

Venture Bros s1-6 boxset is out in Australia and (for today only I think) 20% off at JB Hi Fi so I might get two sets, one for me and one for my brother.

$36 for every Venture Bros episode ever is the best drat deal

https://www.jbhifi.com.au/movies-tv-shows/movies-tv-shows-on-sale/tv-animation/venture-bros-the-box-of-calamitous-content/631685/

Uh, for once something is cheaper in Australia than it is in the US: https://www.amazon.com/Venture-Bros-Seasons-1-6-DVD/dp/B01M3QFORS

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Uh, for once something is cheaper in Australia than it is in the US: https://www.amazon.com/Venture-Bros-Seasons-1-6-DVD/dp/B01M3QFORS

Wow. Oh but any Americans tempted by this deal should note you'll need a multi region DVD player to play Australian discs. Also I'm guessing it's a pretty barebones clamshell case with all 12 discs inside so it won't have all the individual seasons' packaging and artwork.

The Impaler
Dec 28, 2011

10 Brogies
20 GOTO 10

Hedrigall posted:

...Also I'm guessing it's a pretty barebones clamshell case with all 12 discs inside so it won't have all the individual seasons' packaging and artwork.

Can confirm it is just a barebones case and 12 dvds... which I naturally bought the week before it went on sale.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

twistedmentat posted:

I used to work at a record store in the suburbs, and I met a ton of guys like Doc who basically stopped paying attention as soon as Yes stopped putting out new material.

Sounds right, though he was at least familiar with Angry Birds (though dismissively of how JJ's tech business was so successful), so I figure he pays casual attention to things. And the Monarch at least is into Game of Thrones. (which of course puts the show's timeline into even more weirdness than usual. Just Archer it a little)

Is rather fitting with how many characters basically froze at a certain point in their lives. I think for Rusty it was pretty much when his dad died.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

The Monarch is also familiar with the polar bear from :lost:

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

The Impaler posted:

Can confirm it is just a barebones case and 12 dvds... which I naturally bought the week before it went on sale.

Yup, my copies just arrived and hoo boy I've never seen such a flimsy cheap DVD box before. Still, $6 per season ($3 per disc), cannot complain about that.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

If it ever comes to the EU Amazon I am so keeping my original DVD boxes and tossing that thing.

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all
Say scuba

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Voxx posted:

Say scuba

Scuba.

Yeah, it does sound funny.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
While it's certainly not the same, the new DuckTales is coming off a bit as a more kid-friendly Venture Brothers. Complete with the kids entering an already established adventure dynamic and between Beakley and Donald you have Brock Samson with a beak. And Webby is very Hankesque.

A bit recursive given the original Scrooge McDuck comics are very much of the style of adventure fiction that Venture Bros is based on and lovingly lampoons. (along with Jonny Quest and all)

Speaking of, I think Jonny Quest had a cameo in Incredibles 2.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Agreed. DuckTales is fantastic and I was immediately reminded of Venture Bros. when I watched it. It plays in pretty much all the same sandboxes. Just not, you know, the disgusting ones.

Also, had a friend that loved the first 2 seasons of VB way back when, but dropped off the show because of the schedule. Recently he wanted to sit down and watch a few newer episodes, so I picked some of the bigger/weirder/more bombastic ones of season 4 and 5. His reaction was essentially "this is Venture Bros?". He loved them, but it was really interesting to get some perspective on just how much the show has changed since then. What Color is Your Clean Suit and Operation PROM are pretty darn far away from a Johnny Quest parody.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Anyone who goes "Uh Venture Bros is about Failure" should be drowned in a sidewalk dog water bowl.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

twistedmentat posted:

Anyone who goes "Uh Venture Bros is about Failure" should be drowned in a sidewalk dog water bowl.

Exactly, failure is one of the show's themes, but people miss that it isn't supposed to be just about people failing, it's about how people react to failure and try to move past it whether they succeed at that or not

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Man imagine how depressing the show would by if the show was about just loving up and failing still.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
If the show was about failure the boys would just be dead

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Clearly Hank is not a failure.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Hank is in his element.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Hank is the perfect example of what I meant when I was talking about characters dealing with their failures and growing from the experience, just compare him in Season 1 vs him now

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

boner confessor posted:

venture brothers is the complete inverse of ready player one

Ha, that's perfect.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

drrockso20 posted:

Hank is the perfect example of what I meant when I was talking about characters dealing with their failures and growing from the experience, just compare him in Season 1 vs him now

Yea, I mean, its the kind of simple thing dumb nerds will latch onto that makes them feel like they "got it". Even Doc and Jackson regret saying it so long ago.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

All Hank is missing is a set up to give him a chance to be a hero. Or just play one on TV. Now that'd be interesting, even as a one off throwaway gag.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
What was the episodes season & number where Rusty is in the Boy Adventure support group? I read the book Brown Harvest for a book club and its like a bad edgy version of dealing with group after being a boy detective and I want to show the group the right way to do it.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

S4 E6 Self-Medication

Hank got to be batman in Venture Libre and was super badass at it.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I just think it'd be neat though the obvious joke would be he keeps acting like Batman on set when he's not. Or the Highlander.

Seriously where does he get this stuff.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Not to mention when Hank played detective extremely well, talking the talk, solving mysteries, seducing dames.

...though I think a lot of that was down to Al's help, as well as the fact that the dame he "seduced" was a predatory 30-something woman who wanted him because he reminded her of her favorite cartoon character from when he was a kid based on the father of her secret son...

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Jun 21, 2018

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

And they kill clean: don’t let DAMES get in the way!

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
Where do you pick that stuff up? I never see you read.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe
It's like he channels dead crazy people.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Do you think it's a cry for help?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Do not be too hasty entering that room, I had TACO BELL for lunch!!!