Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Serf posted:

One of the best PCs I ever saw was a randomly rolled clockwork who was Size 2... but only had 9 Strength and therefore sucked at using their built-in sword arm. It was a funny combination of big and intimidating and completely inept in action.
lol this is funny from a narrative perspective, he's like the security guard with the unloaded gun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Pharmaskittle posted:

Rolling characters is good when the group has all bought into the idea of being shithead nobodies who will probably die, like in warhammer fantasy roleplay. If you're going for a more heroic or at least less doomed feeling, choosing is fine. SotDL can go either way.
One of my friends is so into the idea of being a shithead nobody that he said he wanted to start at 0 when I said that level 0 characters were basically frail noodlepeople.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea my group does the 'roll with veto power' set up and it's led to fun things. Random stuff can lead to unexpected and fun things but also sometimes you get a result that sucks and it'd be really weird to force someone to play a thing they dislike!

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Yeah. My group ended up vetoing the professions they rolled due to them not really jiving with the personalities they'd rolled. Of note was the orc who'd had a vision from the god of blood and iron, and who's personality was simply "kill", who then rolled an academic profession.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

How the gently caress do you veto Professor Slaughter, PHD?

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

One of the PCs in my group rolled "murderer" as his profession and just went with it because it was funny. It doesn't really affect the campaign, but in between adventures you'd better believe he's committing murder for profit.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Pharmaskittle posted:

One of the PCs in my group rolled "murderer" as his profession and just went with it because it was funny. It doesn't really affect the campaign, but in between adventures you'd better believe he's committing murder for profit.

As opposed to during adventures, which contain absolutely no murder for profit?

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

moths posted:

How the gently caress do you veto Professor Slaughter, PHD?

I mean, I would have run with it, maybe had him be a weapon's engineer or into death magic. It apparently didn't square with what the player had been envisioning with the prior rolls.

edit: Or, maybe the character played against type for a time, becoming a professor even, but after the blood vision drove him mad, he went berserk.

glitchwraith fucked around with this message at 22:02 on May 31, 2018

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

This is rpg of the month on reddit - hopefully schwalb can build his empire on the back of that.

Tensokuu
May 21, 2010

Somehow, the boy just isn't very buoyant.
The way my group has run is everyone made their first character just taking a neat idea they found in the book and playing that. Then when that character dies or gets into a bad roadblock and the player wants to retire them, the new character is completely randomly rolled. It’s led to some amazing second characters.

Glukeose
Jun 6, 2014

http://schwalbentertainment.com/2018/06/04/called-to-serve/

Called to Serve just came out. Got expert paths for priests but honestly some of them are just cool for filing off the god stuff and playing a caster. Chronicler, Crusader, Maleficant, and Justicar are all really neat IMO.

Serf
May 5, 2011

I actually want to do a little review of Called to Serve, the aforementioned priest supplement that just came out.

The Chronicler

It starts with a rundown of the role Priests serve in the world of Rul and how one might find themselves serving a higher power. There is a comprehensive breakdown of all the religions and their associated traditions which I think will get a lot of use. A fun new rule is Heretical Sects, which allow you to swap out one of your traditions for another and then you get to describe how that choice reflects your weird splinter version of the broader faith you serve. Then there's an expanded rundown of the Priest path and some rules clarification for spells which are something that the game definitely needs.

Then the meat of this supplement comes from the Expert paths which I'm gonna summarize below.

Chronicler: Priests who tattoo themselves with the histories of their faith and family. This is intended for dwarves but can be adapted to any religion you like with some work. They deal in the Battle, Life and Rune traditions and their powers revolve around their tattoos, which give them +1 Defense and you can expend castings of spells to get various effects that depend on the spell you expend. Battle spells let you move fast and hit hard, Life spells let you heal efficiently and Rune spells make you harder to hit. It is also super flexible, with an ability that lets you expend castings of one tradition to regain castings from another. Overall this is a versatile and flavorful path.

Crusader: Devotees of the New God who head out to the battlefield to serve their divine master. They focus on Celestial, Life and Theurgy spells and are strong frontline fighters. Casting spells makes them stronger and they're hardy against frightening creatures. They can expend castings to heal themselves and when they're injured the rest of the team gets buffed. They're different enough from the Paladin for me and they have some neat potential as a resilient tank.

Daughter of the Moon: Women who are marked by the Maiden in the Moon as her servants and vessels of her will. They use the Arcana, Celestial and Time traditions and get an ability that is equivalent to the Magician's sense magic spell that can also be augmented and can actually detect the absence of magic too. They can make their spells better by expending another casting at the same time, which even includes the ability to double the duration of utility spells, which I'm sure has some game-breaking potential somewhere. They also get resistance to magic as well, sort of like demons do.

Guardian: These folks are just druids who don't want to admit it and work to stem the rising tide of civilization. They make use of Life, Nature and Primal. A lot of their abilities revolve around the spell animal shape, which they get for free and get buffs to, including extended duration, free healing and a lot of extra castings. If you want to always be in some kind of animal form, then the Guardian is for you.

Holy Matron: These women have already raised children of their own before giving their service to the cult of the World Mother, serving as mothers to all. They deal in Earth, Life, and Nature and a pretty much healing and buffing machines. They can expend castings to drop big heals, remove all kinds of afflictions, even Insanity, and can eventually call up an aura that gives everyone around them damage and Insanity resistance. This path has some weird flavor for my tastes but boy it has potential to be a real life-saver with some strong utility talents.

Horned One: Servants of the Horned King who are strong with the powers of the natural world and have dominion over animals. They get to work with the Primal, Spiritualism and Transformation traditions. Most of their abilities are about sneaking, hitting hard when they cast their spells and dealing with animals. Animals are always friendly to them until they attack the animal, animals they use get buffed and eventually they can just become invisible to animals. This is a real niche path but I can't deny that the flavor of it is really good.

Ice Apostle: These guys work for Old Man Winter and they just really hate the fact that you might not be freezing at all times. They use Battle, Storm and Water spells and they are hella strong. They're not impeded by cold at all and casting spells gives them a +1d3 bonus to Defense for the round. Later on they can summon the power of winter into their weapon, dealing extra cold damage and obscuring themselves with a localized snow flurry and at the top level their hatred for all that is warm is so strong that their attacks against creatures with cold immunity causes them to lose it. This is again a kinda niche path but it has some really strong talents and the traditions is has access to makes it suited to a battle-priest from the Blasted Lands

Justiciar: The Seer employs these priests as basically fantasy Judge Dredds who travel around the world finding the guilty and punishing them for their crimes. They use the Curse, Divination and Telepathy traditions, and even get a talent that eliminates the Corruption cost for using Curse spells. They also basically have Ghost Rider's penance stare and it only gets stronger as you gain levels. When you lay your curse on people you impair them and slow them down and eventually you can expend spells to gently caress them up. This is a really cool path with a strong theme and lots of potential for cool poo poo if you want to get into the arena of being a traveling hand of divine justice.

Maleficant: These folks take the neutral religion of witchcraft and twist it to dark purposes, practicing what peasants call "black magic." They deal in the Curse and Enchantment traditions and get Dark Speech. One of their abilities is that when they die, they go to Hell, but if you're close by when it happens they get to spitefully attack you one last time as their body burns up. They even have a talent called Spite that debuffs enemies, and they earn a free Mark of Darkness. Later on they get access to straight-up voodoo dolls that they can use to gently caress with opponents and eventually you can bind them to your doll and mess with them in all kinds of ways. This lets you see where they are, view them from afar and even cause them to gain Insanity so that you can heal damage. This is a really mean path but drat cool.

Reveler: The Laughing God is a weird one and the Reveler is no different, being sort of a drunken party-adventurer who can use their drunkenness to infect others. They use Enchantment, Fey and Illusion spells and when they're drunk they actually gain bonuses to their abilities instead of penalties. When they go mad, they can reroll and choose which result to use. They learn to get others drunk just by looking at them, causing them to take Insanity but instead of becoming frightened they get drunk, which gives them bonuses too. Eventually they just get to swap afflictions out for the drunken one, ensuring that the party never stops. Again, super good theme but their abilities are of dubious usefulness, since their bonus-imparting drunken contagion comes with some downsides when it ends.

Ruiner: Fanatics devoted to the Dark Gods, the Ruiners just want to break poo poo and kill people and don't care much how they do it or what happens to them along the way. They use the Battle, Destruction and Rune traditions and literally can't wear armor; if they do, their Power drops to 0 and they make all attack and challenge rolls with 1 bane. They focus on expending spells to do massive damage and scaring the poo poo out of enemies. Later on they get a version of the Fray Die from Godbound, just constantly doing damage to anyone in reach and after that they can start casting spells and gaining Insanity, eventually going mad and rushing in for a big hit against a target before succumbing to the madness. This is a strong path and while I'm not sure how PCs could use it, there are plenty of cool abilities here to pluck out for NPC builds.

Solemn One: Priests of Father Death are called out as being weird and solitary sorts, but useful for dealing with the undead. They use Death, Protection and Shadow spells, and have special dispensation to not gain Corruption from using Death spells. They get flexible with Shadow spells and they can use Death spells against undead creatures. They can spread damage around just by casting spells and when they would become incapacitated they can expend a spell to just ignore that. I think there's a lot of potential here, especially if you're facing undead creatures or you just like using a weird mix of spells in an offensive role.

Summer Child: Acolytes of the Summer Queen want nothing more than to spread art and beauty and they have no problem doing so at the tip of a flaming sword. They get the Enchantment, Fey and Fire traditions and their charm spells become way more effective. They also can embody the essence of the Summer Queen by expending a spell, causing their hair to become fire and charming all enemies close by. Those charmed by them get bonuses to damage and eventually being in this form buffs Fire spells. I think this is my favorite path in the book both because of the flavor and because of how strong the Flames of Passion talent is.

Wisdom: The opposite of the Maleficant, the Wisdom takes the practices of witchcraft and turns them into "white magic" that helps and heals. They use Divination and Life magic and can create "simples" which are pretty good potions that they just get for free at the start of each adventure. They have to remain pure, as each point of Corruption penalizes their Health. They can grant buffs to their allies just by being close by and eventually they get the talent Invoke the Lord and Lady, which causes them to glow brightly, frighten enemies, get buffed spellcasting and debuff all enemy attacks. This is another strong support path, as their abilities work in harmony to just make the whole team better.

The Summer Child and Solemn One

Overall I really like this supplement. I've always felt that Priestly paths didn't get enough love but all these options are cool as hell and some of the paths are strong and flavorful. Plus, there's some really nifty new art that I like a lot in here so I think this is my favorite Paths of book.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
How much do people use the game's resource-tracking, distance, and time mechanics in this game? I see stuff like 4-hour durations and individually tracked torches and how many miles you can walk in a day, but it's also got a 4E-style "adventuring day" and explicit advice in the rulebook not to worry about time too much outside of combat.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

How much do people use the game's resource-tracking, distance, and time mechanics in this game? I see stuff like 4-hour durations and individually tracked torches and how many miles you can walk in a day, but it's also got a 4E-style "adventuring day" and explicit advice in the rulebook not to worry about time too much outside of combat.
I think it fits both styles well. It seems designed to skip most of that stuff by default but also includes enough rules to include it if you want to run an old-school style dungeon crawl where that stuff actually matters. I think it's actually a really good fit for the latter style of gameplay despite it not seeming like it was designed for it at all.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug

Serf posted:

Really good stuff...

Thanks for that, these sort of in depth reviews really help with people like me who are wading into the deep end trying to figure out which books are worth getting. Ran my first game last night, it went really well. We've got a Changling that's been absorbed into the Cult of the New God in a quest to find a soul and become a real boy, an alcoholic kleptomaniac Dwarf, and the table favorite an Orc librarian named Mildread.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Serf posted:

Ruiner: Fanatics devoted to the Dark Gods, the Ruiners just want to break poo poo and kill people and don't care much how they do it or what happens to them along the way. They use the Battle, Destruction and Rune traditions and literally can't wear armor; if they do, their Power drops to 0 and they make all attack and challenge rolls with 1 bane. They focus on expending spells to do massive damage and scaring the poo poo out of enemies. Later on they get a version of the Fray Die from Godbound, just constantly doing damage to anyone in reach and after that they can start casting spells and gaining Insanity, eventually going mad and rushing in for a big hit against a target before succumbing to the madness. This is a strong path and while I'm not sure how PCs could use it, there are plenty of cool abilities here to pluck out for NPC builds.

your review mostly seems spot on, but I do think this path is plenty usable for PC's (if a bit niche)- you've basically got an alternate paladin smite (with some differences that I think makes it weaker despite the boon, most notably the use of a triggered action, though the actionless fear-on-demand is solid), a long-lasting damage bonus that your party can potentially take advantage of in addition to yourself (and which applies to both spell and weapon attacks), and a pretty good insanity-based self-buff/big attack

the path's disadvantages are real but can also be worked around without too much difficulty- no armor only really puts you down -1 AC if you go for a dex-based build, the symmetrical nature of the damage buff can be largely negated with positioning, as can the downsides of madness (since you're almost certainly going battle-mad every time)

I think it actually synergizes better with something like Rogue or Spellguard than Priest because you don't have the same burdens on your triggered action that Prayer imposes, but I'm pretty sure you can build a strong and fun DEX/INT battle/rune-based character around this path (and can do things like use the Harness Madness spell to play with the theme)- I don't know that it's actually better for that kind of character than just going Spellbinder or something, but I don't think it's in any way non-viable/difficult for PC's to use effectively

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
I'm just dipping my toe into reading all the SotDL materials I've had lying around for a year and I can't help but wonder - are there any defenses for PCs against the Horrifying characteristic? I realize that you're likely to be able to have a lot of ways to creatively get boons when you face a Horrifying creature, but being 1 bane down no matter what seems a bit steep initially. Is there any way for PCs to *get* the Horrifying trait? Seems unlikely but I suspect some sorts of magic might allow for it.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
Ok, going to pull the trigger on buying a hard copy of this in the next month or so. Should I get the regular hardback or the updated POD release? The earlier hardback is much cheaper, but I'm wondering how crucial the updates are. I have the PDF already.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Memnaelar posted:

I'm just dipping my toe into reading all the SotDL materials I've had lying around for a year and I can't help but wonder - are there any defenses for PCs against the Horrifying characteristic? I realize that you're likely to be able to have a lot of ways to creatively get boons when you face a Horrifying creature, but being 1 bane down no matter what seems a bit steep initially. Is there any way for PCs to *get* the Horrifying trait? Seems unlikely but I suspect some sorts of magic might allow for it.
IME, that inherent Bane is really good for balance and slowing the monster's inevitable steamrolling.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

FishFood posted:

Ok, going to pull the trigger on buying a hard copy of this in the next month or so. Should I get the regular hardback or the updated POD release? The earlier hardback is much cheaper, but I'm wondering how crucial the updates are. I have the PDF already.

What's a POD? I'm trying to get an updated physical copy at some point too and not sure what is and isn't different about them.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Print On Demand

Edit: Slaver's Lash question, has anyone run this? After the breakout from the Orc camp is it really worth it to do the trek afterwards? Seems like a limp finish to the adventure after the big three way fight with the beastmen. I'll probably cut it.

Springfield Fatts fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Jun 13, 2018

Elblanco
May 26, 2008

Azran posted:

My group loved the system but preferred the Iron Kingdoms as a setting, so here I am thinking about an IK hack. This game is so good.

I'm doing something similar. I came up with a sorta steam punk setting years ago before ikrpg came out and I finally decided to go through with making it. Though a normal fantasy hack would work just as well. I love this system, especially the path stuff.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Elblanco posted:

I'm doing something similar. I came up with a sorta steam punk setting years ago before ikrpg came out and I finally decided to go through with making it. Though a normal fantasy hack would work just as well. I love this system, especially the path stuff.

Neat! I'm personally dropping some limitations because I prefer to give my players more options than fewer (Ogrun and Gobbers can use magic, for example) but they're pumped to try it.

Considering Insanity and such isn't really A Thing in a more heroic setting like the Iron Kingdoms, would dropping it affect Will negatively? I'm concerned about that.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Azran posted:

Neat! I'm personally dropping some limitations because I prefer to give my players more options than fewer (Ogrun and Gobbers can use magic, for example) but they're pumped to try it.

Considering Insanity and such isn't really A Thing in a more heroic setting like the Iron Kingdoms, would dropping it affect Will negatively? I'm concerned about that.

Not really, you still have attacks/abilities that target Will, it's used for Cleric spells and you might call it for rolls anyway.

Also yeah, count me as another one using SotDL for a homebrew setting.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
Now that I think about it, would the freeport stuff be a good starting place for a higher tech fantasy setting?

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Jumping into this as a one shot in our 5e campaign, trying to give the DM a break. I'm planning to run our party into deep, spooky jungle and work towards a quasi-dungeon crawl in a hosed up ziggurat.

I'm planning to hand out PCs to people, just to speed up the adaptation. Looking for advice on an appropriate level to start them at that won't be super confusing.

Two of them have played long term DnD 4/5e campaigns, the rest are straight 5th edition.

Relatedly, is there an online character builder of any sort?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Not really, there's an npc generator but it doesn't do equipment or flavor stuff at all. Roll20 might be the best you got and it's pretty rough - it certainly doesn't have dropdown lists of thing to choose from or anything.

There are some sample novice characters here:
http://schwalbentertainment.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/Sample-Novice-Characters.pdf

I'd be willing to toss you some level 1 characters I made in roll20 for this purpose if you want. A goon pool of those might be a nice thing to have honestly - I bet there are a bunch of people here who will end up in your situation, as I was.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Jun 19, 2018

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer

FishFood posted:

Bite the bullet and get the updated version. Otherwise there will be disagreement between pdfs and you'll have to spend time checking between different sources.
I say this as someone with the old hardback. It's not bad, but you might as well drop some cash and save yourself hassle in the long run.

Glukeose
Jun 6, 2014

If you want to start your players off on a good foot coming from DnD start them at level 2 on the expedition toward the ziggurat, then do a second session where they level up to 3 and go inside the ziggurat. SotDL's progression system is one of it's best selling points especially relative to 5e where half your level ups are lame bullshit.

Failing that just start at 3. Level 0 and 1 characters are basically sacks of mulch waiting to be opened.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
I'll suggest doing it over two weeks, see what the interest level is.

The different tiers of stuff is definitely fascinating, I absolutely hate levelling up in DnD and getting an extra swing of my sword. That's such an exciting character choice.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Not really, there's an npc generator but it doesn't do equipment or flavor stuff at all. Roll20 might be the best you got and it's pretty rough - it certainly doesn't have dropdown lists of thing to choose from or anything.

There are some sample novice characters here:
http://schwalbentertainment.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/Sample-Novice-Characters.pdf

I'd be willing to toss you some level 1 characters I made in roll20 for this purpose if you want. A goon pool of those might be a nice thing to have honestly - I bet there are a bunch of people here who will end up in your situation, as I was.

That would be a cool starting point. It's not taking super long to make characters, but anything to make it easier. I just made an assassin in 10 minutes, but less work is less work!

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

Hollandia posted:

Bite the bullet and get the updated version. Otherwise there will be disagreement between pdfs and you'll have to spend time checking between different sources.
I say this as someone with the old hardback. It's not bad, but you might as well drop some cash and save yourself hassle in the long run.

Which one is updated and which is not? Drivethrurpg isn't super clear on this

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Jarvisi posted:

Which one is updated and which is not? Drivethrurpg isn't super clear on this

Those numbers in the file name are dates so the newest one but the one most updated has "compressed" in its name.

Serf
May 5, 2011

The new supplement City of Thieves is out

This one details one of the Nine Cities, specifically Pruul, the city where everything went to poo poo before the rest of the world, a quarter of the people left and now violent gangs and criminal organizations run the show. Its 10 pages of pretty much just fluff, with a single creature statblock for the Autarch, who could be an interesting Expert-level villain for your group. Plus there's a new background table if you want to play a citizen of Pruul. The city itself is actually pretty cool and has lots of adventure hooks, including unexplored old mines, crumbling old mansions abandoned by the city and several huge black pillars that apparently contain some crazy evil poo poo. Overall I'd say if you're interested in Pruul or you just like reading fluff, this is worth the $2. If you're looking for a lot of crunch, then give it a pass.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
e: Nevermind, my question was answered by the rules text and I just wasn't looking close enough.

I have a different question, though, this one more open-ended: what's the best way to build a Defender-like character in this game? I know there's a Master Path (the aptly named Defender) that gets some of the signature 4E Fighter-like abilities, and a scattering of spells that apply the Immobilized status, but I'm not really sure the best way to put them together.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Jun 20, 2018

Serf
May 5, 2011

So Rob did an AMA on Reddit that you can find here: I am Robert Schwalb, creator of Shadow of the Demon Lord, AMA!

I decided to run down the highlights and post them here for y'all to check out if you don't want to read the thread

On the tone of the game and whether or not it can be humorous:

quote:

Well, I think the darkness to allow humor to ridiculous is all fine. After all, I put hateful defecation in the game. For me, it's all about how pissed off I am at the world and life and everything.

On the plans for advancement after level 10:

quote:

The current plan for pushing beyond level 10 is to have an ur-path that captures your exit. Regent, Guild master, high priest, archmage. You'd have agents that get paths and help you realize more of the game in service to your main character.

On the process of building the game and whether he went with feel or statistical analysis:

quote:

I did tons and tons and tons of statistical analysis. And that work is ongoing. I'm still discovering fun poo poo in the engine. But, play testing has shown where I've been wrong :)

When asked if he could rebuild the game, what would he change:

quote:

I'd build zones into the game.

On whether or not he'll ever create an OGL-esque thing for the system:

quote:

Yes. Eventually. I want to get the ideas out of my head first.

When asked about the possibility of an SotDL video game:

quote:

We have some small things in the works. Honestly, I'm game. Anything that helps pay for cat food and beer, I will support.

On how much more we have of the world of Urth and the future of supplements:

quote:

Well, I'm getting close to finishing out the continent. We did Eremea in Beyond the World's Edge. But I have tons of stuff in queueueueueue so we're still a bit off before we hit the end.

Another response to a question about 3rd party content:

quote:

I just opened the door with Disciples of the Demon Lord. We have game content in works with Mists of Akumal and a few other things. At some point, I'm sure I'll start opening up more of the game for 3rd party folks.

On using the SotDL system for other genres:

quote:

You bet! We have a bunch of different genres in the works. I have a sci-fi game in the works, as well as another post-apocalyptic game (PunkApocalyptic)
I have a Doom-style sci-fi game in the works and a full-blow post-apocalyptic game coming.

When asked what the most interesting insight was he got from playtesting the game:

quote:

I think it was the reaction to fast/slow initiative. Early reactions were horror and dismay, but after a round or so, the kids were on board. This built my confidence and confirmed that knee-jerk reactions should be ignored, or, at least, taken with a mountain of salt.

Inspirations for the setting:

quote:

Ever read Gene Wolfe's Books of the New Sun? That's probably too obvious. The Tenant inspired me for its bleakness.

Discussion of future supplements:

quote:

We have a ton of city states coming out. Pruul, Qif, Kem, and Nessus. Balgrendia is in the works, and then Kingdom of Skulls. I'm saving Patchwork for the mass combat system.

When asked about the perceived difficulty of using professions instead of something like skills:

quote:

I do everything on the fly. Adventures focus on the most important moments of the characters lives. So, any instance in which a character has profession that would impact the success or failure of the task in question, go with the yes! Boons boons boons. Give them out all the time. Facilitate play whenever you can!

On the status of upcoming Kickstarters

quote:

Not yet. I won't launch until I have the writing done. Occult Philosophy is about 65% there. PunkApocalyptic is 50%.

On building Rul:

quote:

It depends a great deal on what I am designing. With SotDL, I just threw every fantasy trope at the wall and looked at what stuck. I wanted to make sure all the bases were covered to accommodate a wide range of play styles. If I was building something from scratch, I'd start with a village.

On character fragility and death:

quote:

Sure! Character creation is super fast. So people will die and you have more opportunities to see more of the system. However, once you reach expert, you're pretty safe.

His favorite SotDL adventures to write:

quote:

For SotDL? Necessary Sacrifices. I just had tons of fun building out this town and all the screwed up stuff that happens to them. I also like Dark Deeds, because I gave myself room to show GMs how to run the game.

When asked about Pathfinder 2 using Ancestries instead of Races:

quote:

I think it's hilarious. They better give me special thanks though.

And finally, something he wished he'd thought of first or made more use of:

quote:

The intentional lack of initiative. Drop that poo poo.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
So what are zones?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I think he means stuff like "engaged" "near" and "distant" in terms of abstracting combat.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Elblanco posted:

So what are zones?

Many games, instead of using specific distances to determine how far away things are, instead break up the field into a various zones a character might be occupying.

In some games these might be specific regions on a map you cut up like 'inside the tavern, tavern entrance, tavern stairwell' that are broken up based on whats going on and whats around the area to mess with.

Others might be generic zones that are just about proximity such as 'Short, Medium, Long'.

Either way they allow theatre of the mind play while using specific distances is a giant pain in the rear end to run in theatre of the mind.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Zones are covered extensively in Forbidden Rules and they are essentially the same as Fate's zones. They honestly rule and Rob is right to wish they were core.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Zones are presented in Forbidden Rules. I used them in my last campaign. I'm glad I did but it was an imperfect fit at times. So I agree, I wish they had been the default.