Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Professor of Cats
Mar 22, 2009

I have to agree; the story with pascal got me a lot more than i'd like to admit. Hell, even my wife still brings up how it all ended with him. Then, when you see him afterward - his memory is wiped...and what he is holding/selling. Ugh. UGGGH.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

DrNutt posted:

Man I thought this was going to be a Souls successor but then anime and there's so much talking. What is this?

Creators of GE franchise and their new IP. I've never played DS but I'm curious about this game despite being bad at video games.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Monster Hunter World was... all right. I put 50ish hours into it, reached the end of the game, and that was enough for me. I like my grindy loot-based monster clickers to be turbofast and the pace of MHW is just extremely slow, with a lot of tedious UI management around the periphery. It's okay for what it is.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I did not talk about the combat much because the story affected me so deeply.

Now that I have had a chance to reflect a little I will say that I did enjoy the combat. Each of the characters has their own little flair on top of a similar style of play. It was fun to find the different weapons and see how they would change gameplay when upgraded. It was also neat to see what would happen if I put them in different slots. There was a lot of nice touches and extras that you could mix up with the chips and pods too.

Other games by platinum may have done it better but due to my own lack of experience I am unaware of them.

I did love that the game was a third person brawler, a shoot em up, a twin stick shooter,a visual novel and a metroidvania all at different times. Having that variety to explore the themes I experienced enhanced it for me.

I have no issues with people not liking the game I just wish I could give you my own emotions and how I felt about it because it is something I would love others to experience alongside me. :)

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Speaking of MHW, are Freedom Wars and Soul Sacrifice (Delta? I don't know which the definitive version is) worth playing solo on Vita? I tried to play God Eater 2 and Toukiden Kiwami 2 but the combat felt too floaty for me to care about playing more than a handful of missions.

e ^^^: I do thank you for sharing your thoughts and emotions, as I did enjoy reading them. I admit that I backlash a little too hard when it is brought up because the positive things that the game brought to the table were massively overshadowed by the negative things that were brought to the table. The thread collectively enjoys the former while shouting down any criticism of the latter, while I feel that there needs to be some balance in place when presenting the game to future potential players. I am glad that you enjoyed your time with it and that it left you with a positive experience in what sounded like a busy/rough season of your life :)

Shadow225 fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jun 5, 2018

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

DrNutt posted:

Man I thought this was going to be a Souls successor but then anime and there's so much talking. What is this?

It's a Souls successor by the the people that added extra anime and a bunch of talking to Monster Hunter

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Shadow225 posted:

Speaking of MHW, are Freedom Wars and Soul Sacrifice (Delta? I don't know which the definitive version is) worth playing solo on Vita? I tried to play God Eater 2 and Toukiden Kiwami 2 but the combat felt too floaty for me to care about playing more than a handful of missions.

I played both solo and i got bored. Ssd feels great tho. Its just a hell of a grind alone

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
MHW is the first MH-like game I've ever enjoyed. They did a lot to make it more accessible and enjoyable.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

MHW is great. My GOTY, put like 350 hours into it and loved it. All the quality of life stuff is pretty fantastic, have no compunction to ever go back to the older games because of how much more accessible and streamlined it is.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Sakurazuka posted:

It's a Souls successor by the the people that added extra anime and a bunch of talking to Monster Hunter

I'm gonna go ahead and suggest they might not know why people enjoy the Souls games so much.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

VideoGames posted:

I have no issues with people not liking the game

Motherfucker, you're on the internet.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I liked MHW but the second I beat the story I put it down never to return. Too many other good games for me spend my time grinding equipment.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Sakurazuka posted:

I thought it was more of a God Eater successor but with some BloodSouls additions

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

DrNutt posted:

I'm gonna go ahead and suggest they might not know why people enjoy the Souls games so much.

I'd rather they put their own spin on it rather than just repeat the same formula that everyone else has. Not everything has to be ultra lonely minimalist plot.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Not really, there's an actual God Eater 3 still coming out and all the combat and levels shown are just Bloodborne if it were a bargain basement LN.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

God eater is fast flipping out all over the place mashy action. Check out that gameplay video, code vein moves at a souls pace

The god eater successor is god eater 3

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I mean, from the first trailer it looked like that, I hadn't watched the gameplay one that was posted later, my bad.

It's pretty drat slow, really looks like a bargain bin DaS.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
For what it’s worth a bunch of popular Soulsborne streamers(Oroboro, Peeve, Lobosjr., etc.) got invited to play a demo of Code Vein and they all had a positive opinion of it. It was only 1 level and boss though.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Looks pretty janky but I like dark souls and I like anime sooooo

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Sakurazuka posted:

Not really, there's an actual God Eater 3 still coming out and all the combat and levels shown are just Bloodborne if it were a bargain basement LN.

So bloodborne?

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Soul Sacrifice Delta is the tits.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

It's loving criminal that Sony won't port Delta to PS4. Out of all the insane Monhun clones we got during the dark ages it was the BEST

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

My dumb E3 prediction is that Sony is releasing a new SOCOM came with a battle royale mode. What's yours?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Videogames that was a great post

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

NNick posted:

My dumb E3 prediction is that Sony is releasing a new SOCOM came with a battle royale mode. What's yours?

Rez 2 but it'll be one of the games they are announcing over the next few days in the run up to E3.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

VideoGames posted:

OK. I am going to put this behind spoilers because I want anyone thinking of playing this to be as unaware of things as possible like me.

For those not wanting to be spoiler: I utterly adored every last thing about this game and I am easily placing it at #3 in my top 20 games of all time. I just this second bought the soundtrack also.

Hopefully this will not be too rambling.

For everyone else

Videogames [You're surrounded by enemies][Because of that,][I'm in your corner] [United Kingdom]

When I originally said I never played a game like this, I did not know just how correct I was. This is my first Yoko Taro game. I have heard very good things about him before starting this. It is also the first Platinum game that I have completed (I do own Bayonetta and have played a bit of that, but not to the end.)

Before ending E I had thought the best way to sum up Nier was the word Heartache. Every main character is driven by a kind of heartache and it is how I felt also. They had their individual heartache and I experienced the collection of their own as one.

The biggest heartache for me was having built a slide for Pascals village and pointing to Lady Videogames about how awesome it was watching the bots slide down, teleporting to the resistance base to hear Pascal saying the village was in trouble. I had originally panicked during Route A/B about the village as I had grown to love the place. (Third favourite music track!)

I had been playing the whole game only retaliating to those who attacked me. Any machine that was just wandering about I left totally alone. It seemed fair that way.

Returning to that village and witnessing the full on destruction filled me with the most dread. That dread intensified after Pascal's battle with Engels. When he asked that we check on the children I went cold and the horror I had suspected was real. It crushed me and I took nearly twenty minutes to decide what to do for Pascal.

I had to pause playing there because I had been so enamoured with these little bots that I had lost myself entirely in the game. I did not know how to continue and could not. Lady VG was concerned because I was so quiet for nearly the rest of the day - I could not stop thinking about it. It did not matter that they were just pixels in a game because that was not the point the game had been making. The emotional resonance had just been a resoundingly downbeat one but for good reasons.

This neverending war where both sides were pawns, were the same (more than I knew until the end of C) and their struggles to grasp what it meant to be. They all had some manner of heartache. They all acted 'human' despite what their original purposes were and it made all the difference.

But ending E changed everything for me. Ending E made me realise that I had not gone far enough. The one thing that is able to defeat heartache resounded throughout that amazing sequence.

As Nines and A2 lay there I hoped that was not the end and it clicked.

Hope is what this game truly was about.

When I had to destroy the credits on the off chance I could save their data, I was filled with hope that I could rescue my heroes. I desperately hoped I would be able to do it.

I kept dying to the names and it kept asking me if I wanted to give up and goodness! There was NO way I was going to bow out. I had come this far and done so much not to give up now. I would do it for hours if I had to.

Then that chorus kicked in and I was joined by other players. I started blubbing and I became a wreck. All my hoping had paid off and I had to realise that I was not alone. The weight of the world was not mine to bear alone. It never was.

When Pod 042 asked if I wanted to help another at the expense of my save data it was not even a choice. How could I turn away from someone needing my support. They had been there for me, and I was going to be there for them.

What you saw at the top of this spoiler was the message I left for whoever needed me to be there for them. I will be in their corner, always. That is what being human is about. Hope and the strength of supporting each other.

It was a glorious message wonderfully delivered and I feel richer as a person for having been able to experience it. It has been difficult to write this because I am still all over the place about it. I cannot tell if these are happy tears or sad tears but I am not think that matters.

Thank you, Yoko Taro.

Whew.

VG, I'm glad you got something out of it. My big emotional moment in that one came relatively early on (not that there weren't multiple)...but I was wandering around a blown out concrete apartment block in the desert after assassinating a genderless antibot birthed by rusty, poor and peaceful collectivized tribals. The music hit a certain vocal swell as I wandered through the middle of one of the apt blocks with a ruined playground in the middle. I guess at that moment it fully occurred to me that I was a drone delivering surgical death to poor brown people in some desolate bantustan on behalf of a self-perpetuating, all-consuming global system of violence and resource control...all to establish some kind of identity to the empty commodity fetish of my existence while preserving the intangible glory of homo economicus. Silly as it might sound, I haven't had many videogame feelings THAT contradictory in the last 25 years.

I look forward to your new top 20...and I might make a top 20 of my own.

Shadow225 posted:

e ^^^: I do thank you for sharing your thoughts and emotions, as I did enjoy reading them. I admit that I backlash a little too hard when it is brought up because the positive things that the game brought to the table were massively overshadowed by the negative things that were brought to the table. The thread collectively enjoys the former while shouting down any criticism of the latter, while I feel that there needs to be some balance in place when presenting the game to future potential players. I am glad that you enjoyed your time with it and that it left you with a positive experience in what sounded like a busy/rough season of your life :)

I feel your frustration, most recently about God of War, which I liked in spite of its faults. However, I wouldn't really approach my criticism of the game by telling people not to play it, that just seems like a sloppy position. Take it how you will but GoW got so much more critical praise (some of it rather shallow) than most games in the last few years yet people are still defensive as all gently caress about it. The internet do as it do.

Kilometers Davis posted:

I’m excited! Get me hyped and I might reinstall and finish it :)

:lol: KD you're like the epic unfinisher of games

beep by grandpa posted:

I think even I get home I might try to make another aggressively stylin BB vid. I want to correct a lot of mistakes I made in that first run...

I'll watch your loving GAMER.TV :colbert:

Just try and stop me.

Samuringa posted:

...BloodSouls...

You know what's up.

NNick posted:

Considering that SOCOM was the original console BR, I would be into this. I wish there was some way to bring back the walkie talkie style communication. Everything was so tense when 8 people shared a channel but only 1 could talk at a given moment.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
I don't understand people that say 3 is the worst Dark Souls.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

James Woods Fan posted:

They see it as derivative of DS1 rather than an expansion of DS1's themes, or the themes of the whole series.

DS3 is loving great.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

did anyone try to play the surge that got it while it was bugged on the store earlier

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Manatee Cannon posted:

did anyone try to play the surge that got it while it was bugged on the store earlier

I just started downloading it, I will see what happens and report back.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Hand-me-downed the 500gb from my ps4 to my PS3 and while I was reinstalling my games GranTurismo 6 took like 6 hours to install. Has anyone else run into his?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

James Woods Fan posted:

Yeah, 1 is definitely the worst

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Monster hunter world is awesome and a miracle for the series, but it's in a weird place where I put 150 hours into it (a very big number which I'm not complaining about) but if the multiplayer and endgame stuff was designed just slightly differently, I could probably put 450 hours into it instead. Once I finished the last optional quest, my motivation to keep finding stuff to do just stopped, and I did almost no multiplayer, unlike monster hunter tri where I was doing multiplayer every chance I got.

I hope the next monster hunter starts where world does and just tightens those few screws it needs to triple the longevity.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I finally ran out of hard drive space on the Pro and now I’m confused and scared

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

DS3 was good but tbh I’ll probably never really play it again. I could play DS1 a million times though

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Digirat posted:

Monster hunter world is awesome and a miracle for the series, but it's in a weird place where I put 150 hours into it (a very big number which I'm not complaining about) but if the multiplayer and endgame stuff was designed just slightly differently, I could probably put 450 hours into it instead. Once I finished the last optional quest, my motivation to keep finding stuff to do just stopped, and I did almost no multiplayer, unlike monster hunter tri where I was doing multiplayer every chance I got.

I hope the next monster hunter starts where world does and just tightens those few screws it needs to triple the longevity.

Even with all the marketing I'm not sure Capcom expected to sell that many units. It's still put together like a game that's supposed to satisfy a small core contingency of obsessed gamers for an extended period of time, rather than as a platform for continued accrual of players and added content.

Not that I'm complaining because that DLC has been free and cool and good and the devs seem genuinely appreciative of the customer response.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Escobarbarian posted:

I finally ran out of hard drive space on the Pro and now I’m confused and scared

Delete all the lovely games.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Ds3 has less viable build variety

Ds1 is a bit janky. Charmingly so

Ds2 is the real best not named bloodborne

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Ds3 has killer art direction

Ds3 has the best combat

Ds3 has some of the best level design in the series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Delete all the lovely games.

I already got rid of Bloodborne.