Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

forge
Feb 26, 2006
Well we continue to learn stuff. I mean the fact that random ship with 3 dudes rolls up right when you login in the bank ship is just random luck. I also didnt remember I didn't have my ship schem on my main. Generally I don't play alts so..

But fun is fun really. That ship was comedy option and we learned that shotguns really don't pay off even with high range because of the scattered shot. Any PvP with a decent ship setup will yield results. Even the odd ship that was built last night in the next T2 sector, they shot down probably 3? ships after it was built.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

forge posted:

Well we continue to learn stuff. I mean the fact that random ship with 3 dudes rolls up right when you login in the bank ship is just random luck. I also didnt remember I didn't have my ship schem on my main. Generally I don't play alts so..

But fun is fun really. That ship was comedy option and we learned that shotguns really don't pay off even with high range because of the scattered shot. Any PvP with a decent ship setup will yield results. Even the odd ship that was built last night in the next T2 sector, they shot down probably 3? ships after it was built.

Our K/D ratio has been pretty drat good overall.

Given the really high number of new players, does it make sense to do another T4 run to get people some good schematics?

FileNotFound fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Jun 5, 2018

forge
Feb 26, 2006
I am very mixed on T4. Basically I think the best parts of the game at T2-T3. Here is why. Sure there are cool blueprints in T4. However the fact there is no gas and no respawners makes it hard to live there. Next we continually get new players and turn over. It makes the most since we live in T2ish currently and pop into T3-4 with alts. I say alts because anyone who wants to go into T4 should do so with an alt. I have all the schematics really and the only useful ones are the atlas cores. I'm missing just one of those so we can build a giant ship if needed. Grinding gives you the best chance at blueprints so T4 isn't really needed. The chance of getting a T4 engine in loot is rare, the chance it's a good engine is insanely rare. If you want to get better canons and engines grinding the gently caress out of T1-T2-T3 is really the way to go.

I can take people to T4 if they want, but if you die and the chances are high, you'll end up back in T3 without being able to make a good ship. That really hurts because most of the T3 zones are just single zones. Which means you won't get enough knowledge to get a good engine to get out of T3 without beaconing. Everyone can play how they want, but the lions share of pvp will happen in T2-T3 currently. Sure there are some people in T4, but they will all have crews of 3-6 and have shits strictly for PvP most of the time. So you play russian roulette there, which is why I only suggest going into T4 when you know what the outlined goal is, or on an alt to farm schematics to bring out, namely 3 atlas upgrades and glider schem. Because really besides the knowledge in T4, those are the only good schems you will find there.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

forge posted:

glider schem

Yeah - that's a pretty major game changer though and I don't want to beg you for a new one every time it decides to bug out and be uncontrollable...

How do you use the alt to pull the BP out? Fly alt to T2 and crewbeacon main over?

dogsupremacy
Dec 3, 2012
In a week or so the sand wall is going to get much harder so we should just make a purpose built ship to drop everyone off in t4 on an island with wood and then everyone can break off solo or small groups and go to different islands with sailboats until you get all the knowledge and whatever schematics in the zone and then just beacon back to T2 when you get bored.

A jumpstart for people wanting to grind knowledge with some of the dank t4 nodes, A couple more people making gliders, and if we get really lucky a faster/higher overheat cannon would be worth it.

Then I think a goal at some point should be making a higher end PvP exclusive ship and just have people load up alts on it. Even that crappy sail boat I flew the respawner go-kart into had like 10k junkish mats and some titanium on it and its way more fun to get poo poo that way then mining it. But what I think causes the death of alotta botes is the fact that we hang around and do some harvesting, with everyone sorta just hanging out waiting for other people to make decisions and then trying to coordinate and pick up people from various places if everyone had an alt just crew beacon it would save hella time and then just fly that bote 100% focused on sinking other bote it would be very successful.

I don't think there is really all that much to learn as far as an optimal pvp ship. It is the design like the one that sunk us in that 2v1. A reverse pyramid with a 2:1 ratio of front guns to back.
[img] https://imgur.com/a/bQodFep [/img].

A relevant amount of internal engines make your ship an unnecessarily large target. Its very hard to land shots on the underbelly of a ship. Boarders can just be dealt with pulling up a bit and pulsing if you are fast enough. This ship has a fuel tank and you can pulse from near the helm/ontop of the deck. I think you would also hide a secondary fuel tank and maybe engine behind paneling inside the ship in case something weird happened.

The casing for all components and paneling basically everything needs to be made of the same material and everyone needs to carry that material, a glider, shards
and gun/bullets in their belt.

The other advantage to having it as an alt ship would be the fact when the crew size gets small or people want to get resources and do whatever we can just log it off. Think of it like a bank boat but for blowing up men.

dogsupremacy fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jun 5, 2018

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

The alt loaded combat ship doesn't fix the "pick up people" issue. We can load up people on a boat, but once it's lost, the revivers go with it.

We have a lot of people playing now and we don't all log in at the same time so it's inevitable that every time we lose a ship people are going to need to regroup over and over.

It doesn't matter if it's a main or on alt - you got to bind it to the ship somehow which means getting picked up - I am not sure how we can speed up that process.

We also should build stupid fun disposable ships that we are expecting to lose because - hey it's fun - but the ship where everyone is bound to isn't disposable just because of the regrouping effort required. We can move revivers around from ship to ship, but losing them is bad news....

dogsupremacy
Dec 3, 2012
what about everyone getting in a single engine bee with the staircase as a stinger and seeing who can dislodge it in someones ship can you imagine your just working on your ship and all of the sudden 10 lil planes just crash into it

alternatively maybe we can make a giant box but with no bottom and completely engulf someones shipbuilder

Ossipago
Nov 14, 2012

Muldoon
Ok, so when I login to my character for the very first time and don't know what I'm doing...what's the first thing I should do to be able to join the goon action?

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Ossipago posted:

Ok, so when I login to my character for the very first time and don't know what I'm doing...what's the first thing I should do to be able to join the goon action?

Join the Discord.

dogsupremacy
Dec 3, 2012
I made my reviver on a new ship so the big one would dewspawn, I was working on a little single engine/sailboat when I found some old friends.

https://imgur.com/a/1kxQWrh

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
I dont plan on using an alt, I've been playing my main like an alt bitch. I beacon all the time, mats are easy to get, knowledge is the only thing that matters.

The only issue so far is making sure to only log in when others are playing if I have a reviver. If I plan to solo for a bit I'll probably ask someone to remove my spawn unit ahead of time, unless there is a quick way to spawn in and un synch myself and de spawn the ship. I haven't really wanted to risk that. Are the ships parked high and dry?

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Aeka 2.0 posted:

.... a quick way to spawn in and un synch myself and de spawn the ship. I haven't really wanted to risk that. Are the ships parked high and dry?

You can use the random respawn function.

It will unbind you from the ship and leave an empty reviver.

Although worth mentioning that this won't work in t4

FileNotFound fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Jun 6, 2018

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
Right. I knew jack poo poo about t4 until last night. I think they should re think some of the restrictions, unless people find it fine. I was kind of blown away.

Was there anyone to kill in t4 last night?

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Aeka 2.0 posted:

Right. I knew jack poo poo about t4 until last night. I think they should re think some of the restrictions, unless people find it fine. I was kind of blown away.

Was there anyone to kill in t4 last night?

We saw one ship but lost it in the clouds, then I passed out....

forge
Feb 26, 2006
There are just less people the further you move..

Most people are in T2 and T3 is probably equally as populated now as T2. If you want fights go looking there. The T4 we are in is pretty sleepy sometimes. That was why I took us to that location to farm and get knowledge. If you wanted action we can always head to the PvP T4 area.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
I'm down for knowledge hunts or ship hunts. Whatever you dudes are doing.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Hello I was convinced to get this game because I'm gullible

my discord name is UnsubRedun

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
Yo yes I heard you in discord. Once we get a ship back up to fight you will know what it is like to rain terror.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i want to get back into this but im too sad

blow up alillillia for me will ya guys

forge
Feb 26, 2006
Bait ship, I mean Gooby's Glorious Goods is looking to trade. We obviously have what everyone is looking for, why don't you pull up next to us so we can trade. I will be compiling some videos of this turds as we tell a wonderful story about Gooby and his trade emporium to the WA community.

6, 91 Power Peacemakers are disguised on the bottom. They appear as frame rails until you get right up on the ship, by then it's too late.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
Looking good.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Not gonna lie I love how that ship looks

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Songbearer posted:

Not gonna lie I love how that ship looks

It lost the most important piece last night.

The figure head.

But they lost an entire metal ship so I guess in the end it was a good trade.

xanif
Nov 3, 2010

Beer: Who was your first kill, not counting old men?
Eonwe: One of the outlaws in the Brotherhood.
Seraph84: I was there that day. You were only a squire, sixteen years old.
Eonwe: You killed Friendly Tumour with a counter-post. Best move I ever saw.
Oven Wrangler
I like the most recent plan of putting an alt on the pvp ship while you leave your main on your own ship to farm knowledge on your own time. Also having spare (damaged) revivers so that we can pick people up without putting down a shipyard.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

The issue we struggled with was keeping the ship fueled.

Which is a very stupid problem to have with the number of people we had - but I think that was largely the result of us basically all showing up with naked alts and trying to fly a hungry ship.

We need to get the new dudes up to speed on jumping on islands, grabbing stuff, and respawning to the ship with a belt full of trade goodies - and fuel.

I'm going to get my main over to the trade ship as soon as I'm done with the remaining T4 area and build a ton of gliders so the new guys do not crater all the time and uhh I'll build a fuel gauge....

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

xanif posted:

I like the most recent plan of putting an alt on the pvp ship while you leave your main on your own ship to farm knowledge on your own time. Also having spare (damaged) revivers so that we can pick people up without putting down a shipyard.
It's the way to go... don't need xp to man a cannon

forge
Feb 26, 2006
Thanks for trading friend, transaction complete!

Who wants this new ship?

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Ran into a really nice guy - great trade with him. He gave us everything except the ship frame.....

forge
Feb 26, 2006
The ship above was named "Another bad review". Which was aptly fitting. Barkbell & friends then returned to mess with the dude we lifted it from, guess what, building another duplicate ship.

xanif
Nov 3, 2010

Oven Wrangler
We went from "we need to get better at stealing resources from the people we pirate" to "This is our ship now" pretty fast.

Still kind of salty that the ship we destroy 5 engines on managed to get away.

Bait ship is dope though.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
Oh man this game just keeps getting better. All the tradesmen bend over backwards on giving us things. First they toss over their lead when we say hello, and then the rest of us jump over and help him with the more cumbersome parts of their ship. They never ask for anything in return except for some of our lead, which is odd since I dont understand why we would trade lead, its equally worthless.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

The funniest thing last night was someone who I think was trying to pirate our little tradeship and bumped us when coming in to board - we opened fire and they were asking us to stop as they thought we started to shoot because they bumped us - not because we had planned to shoot them all along.

Even when we encounter people who are totally looking for a fight, they still underestimate the ship and end up taking a beating for it before they can even fire a shot.

Those assholes did blow off my favorite shipping crate though. Very rude.

xanif
Nov 3, 2010

Oven Wrangler

FileNotFound posted:

Even when we encounter people who are totally looking for a fight, they still underestimate the ship and end up taking a beating for it before they can even fire a shot.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Q-ship

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

More like QQ-Ship am I rite?

forge
Feb 26, 2006
New patch but not the one we were hoping for. Added sneaking/crouch/rolling and bunch of fixes and vfx.

forge
Feb 26, 2006
The Video is finally done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6qZ7VDrfs0

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Good stuff...

I turned on shadowplay so I can actually record the next Q10 alu ship.

It's pretty sad that that it took a duper ship to actually beat up our meager little harmless and totally unarmed trading ship.

forge
Feb 26, 2006
Our new upgrades are going to put us in roflcopter territory

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/445977350539313163/456837123442737162/2018-06-14_17-06-50.mp4

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Hmm.

We're going to need a lot of cannon balls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
Holy poo poo