Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Vahakyla posted:

20 years or med board.

My back hurts.

AIRBORNE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
I wonder how working logistics as a civilian is when compared to Army logistics.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Mustang posted:

I wonder how working logistics as a civilian is when compared to Army logistics.

I work for a Company purchesed by UPS. All I can say is HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
I had a dream that I walked into a recruiter office and some soon-to-be-boot told me the army wouldn't let me in because I had a beard.

I don't know why I was there in the first place, because it sure wasn't to rejoin.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Uhh deployed Army is an order of magnitude better than garrison Army.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Naked Bear posted:

Uhh deployed Army is an order of magnitude better than garrison Army.

Last frame pal.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
Well I guess I start ETS leave in a month. I need to figure out how to clear.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
start making any fixes to ERB
Try to schedule your physicals asap
clean your poo poo

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

mods change my name posted:

start making any fixes to ERB
Try to schedule your physicals asap
clean your poo poo

Copy your medical and dental record.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Sooo... OSUT 11b/19x BCT is getting extended from 10 to 22 weeks? Did the Army just kill the split option, and ANY reserve component infantry?

lol

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Sooo... OSUT 11b/19x BCT is getting extended from 10 to 22 weeks? Did the Army just kill the split option, and ANY reserve component infantry?

lol

Look, recruiting and retention are down so we need to make this poo poo even worse.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

lol TRADOC

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

lol

Why would that kill off reserve component infantry? BCT + MI MOS training is frequently 6 months to probably close to 2 years if you include time at DLI, and there are boatloads of RC MI units.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

It's interesting that nearly every HHC commander or 1SG goes through a phase of trying to exert their dominance over the staff sections. It never seems to work.

Trying to strong arm the staff is just going to cause the staff to find ways to either disregard or actively sabotage the HHC commander/1SG, making him or her look like an ineffective leader.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
Now that I think about it, 19D OSUT when I went through was like 17 weeks anyway. Unless you're trying to say that AIT is being extended to 22 weeks?

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.

19D is 16 weeks 19K is 15 weeks, 11B was 11. 11B is now extended to lol, 22 weeks.

Double edit: gently caress edited my old post instead of making a new one. gently caress. Anyway LOL @ new 11b osut.

Valtonen fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Jun 6, 2018

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Mustang posted:

It's interesting that nearly every HHC commander or 1SG goes through a phase of trying to exert their dominance over the staff sections. It never seems to work.

Trying to strong arm the staff is just going to cause the staff to find ways to either disregard or actively sabotage the HHC commander/1SG, making him or her look like an ineffective leader.

The only way to get a good HHC command team is when they've already had their company time and it's a second command.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

the first man takes the rifle, the second man takes the ammunition, then they practice this motion at the armory for 21 weeks. The other week is cleaning.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

McNally posted:

Now that I think about it, 19D OSUT when I went through was like 17 weeks anyway. Unless you're trying to say that AIT is being extended to 22 weeks?

It had dropped to 14 weeks I think

https://www.army.mil/article/203228/army_to_extend_infantry_osut_to_bolster_soldier_lethality

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Where did you get the whole "from 10 to 22 weeks" thing from?

You're so confused that it's confusing me.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I thought it had dropped all the way to 10, because there was a tweet talking about it like it applied to all of BCT (the tweet was incorrect) and that led me to post here and I thought that the first part of OSUT was also 10 weeks.

14 to 22 weeks is still nothing to sneeze at, though.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006

Mustang posted:

It is a pretty stupid gambit to try in the first place since there are two staff officers (XO and S3) that already out rank you and have a better relationship with the BC. As a HHC commander the only time I had to mess with the staff beyond the basic Army poo poo (NCOERs/ranges/pt) was when one was just god awful at his job and I had to fix it. My company doesn’t even have an XO and it is still a pretty sham position. Let the staff do their day to day poo poo, make sure the TOC works, make sure DA requirements are done on time. Anything else is making additional work for yourself.

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

I thought it had dropped all the way to 10, because there was a tweet talking about it like it applied to all of BCT (the tweet was incorrect) and that led me to post here and I thought that the first part of OSUT was also 10 weeks.

14 to 22 weeks is still nothing to sneeze at, though.

Yea 22 weeks of osut is retarded long time to learn how to properly half-right face. Especially since the reasoning is so retarded- If they want to extend the training So that soldiers are ready to instantly join a unit in deployment why train them the TRADOC stuff that no field unit ever does? ”Oh, tradoc and real Army Arent the same? Well lets extend tradoc”

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Valtonen posted:

Yea 22 weeks of osut is retarded long time to learn how to properly half-right face. Especially since the reasoning is so retarded- If they want to extend the training So that soldiers are ready to instantly join a unit in deployment why train them the TRADOC stuff that no field unit ever does? ”Oh, tradoc and real Army Arent the same? Well lets extend tradoc”

I did 20 week OSUT in 2004 as a MP, what the gently caress is the difference?

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

You know, you could improve "soldier lethality" by giving those soldiers some actual range time and a real ammo budget. Perhaps take into consideration that whole "we can't bring this ammo back; nobody goes home until we've expended all of it" followed six months later by "we had to drug deal with the next battalion over; here's some loose ammo in garbage bags" problem. I mean, if somebody's job is to kill people, then maybe you ought to give them training (like range time) so that they can git gud. For every fancy new doodad that DoD wants to throw money at, they could instead buy dump trucks full of ammo. Ammo is cheap... like really loving cheap.

But hey, gently caress 'em, right?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Flikken posted:

That was 14 years ago. The future is now, old man.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

That was 14 years ago. The future is now, old man.

Fuuuuuuuuuuucccccccccccckkkkkkkkk................

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

Naked Bear posted:

You know, you could improve "soldier lethality" by giving those soldiers some actual range time and a real ammo budget. Perhaps take into consideration that whole "we can't bring this ammo back; nobody goes home until we've expended all of it" followed six months later by "we had to drug deal with the next battalion over; here's some loose ammo in garbage bags" problem. I mean, if somebody's job is to kill people, then maybe you ought to give them training (like range time) so that they can git gud. For every fancy new doodad that DoD wants to throw money at, they could instead buy dump trucks full of ammo. Ammo is cheap... like really loving cheap.

But hey, gently caress 'em, right?

I shot more rounds on my own dime than when I was in the army, WHILE I was in the army.

Some straight up bullshit that is.

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Flikken posted:

MPs do OSUT? Not BCT +AIT? Because there is a world of difference.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

Valtonen posted:

MPs do OSUT? Not BCT +AIT? Because there is a world of difference.

Yeppers.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Mustang posted:

Yeah that’s pretty much how it was at the last place I worked. The 1SG thought he was god, even though almost every staff section had an O6 and a SGM. He got promoted to CSM (lol), we had a change of command, and the new commander lets the sections basically run as their own mini-companies. It’s done wonders for morale.

Naked Bear posted:

Perhaps take into consideration that whole "we can't bring this ammo back; nobody goes home until we've expended all of it" followed six months later by "we had to drug deal with the next battalion over; here's some loose ammo in garbage bags" problem.

This I don’t get. We just had a range, and our training NCO took all of our leftover ammo back to the ASP, and they took everything that was still sealed and logged it so we can use it next time. I’m not a logistics guy, is this standard protocol?

Retrowave Joe fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Jun 6, 2018

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Flikken posted:

Yeppers.

Lol.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
Yeah i used to eat lunch at the mp chow halls at Leonard wood. Those dudes do the whole "present fork, commence eating" poo poo it's mental. We didn't do poo poo like that for 19d

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

It is a pretty stupid gambit to try in the first place since there are two staff officers (XO and S3) that already out rank you and have a better relationship with the BC. As a HHC commander the only time I had to mess with the staff beyond the basic Army poo poo (NCOERs/ranges/pt) was when one was just god awful at his job and I had to fix it. My company doesn’t even have an XO and it is still a pretty sham position. Let the staff do their day to day poo poo, make sure the TOC works, make sure DA requirements are done on time. Anything else is making additional work for yourself.

HHC commands in my BDE seem to all go to first time commanders that couldn't get a line command of whatever branch they are.

I'm the only staff primary he outranks and it's noticeable in the way he interacts with me, ie telling me to come to his office because he wants to talk to me so I have to think of a way to tactfully say "no sir, if you have something you want to talk to me about right now YOU can come to MY office." And it's not like I'm always unavailable, there's multiple meetings throughout the week that have both commanders and staff primaries present, plus I go by each company once a week just to see if there's anything I can help them with. The other primaries (other than the S3 obviously) get treated like his peers, which I guess they actually are rankwise.

90% of the time I'm working on something directly for the BC, XO or S3. Eventually he's going to have to realize that there's never going to be a time where I immediately drop what I'm doing to talk to him about whatever the gently caress it is hes wants to see me about.

It's definitely not readiness related, there's only 3 of us and green on everything.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Mustang posted:

Eventually he's going to have to realize that there's never going to be a time where I immediately drop what I'm doing to talk to him about whatever the gently caress it is hes wants to see me about.

You're adorable. :allears:

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Between 1 LTC and 2 MAJs, HHC commander is a very distant 4th

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Retardog posted:

This I don’t get. We just had a range, and our training NCO took all of our leftover ammo back to the ASP, and they took everything that was still sealed and logged it so we can use it next time. I’m not a logistics guy, is this standard protocol?
I believe the exact term is "being loving lazy," but I could be wrong. Combine that with a "use it or lose it" mindset... and here we are.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

They need more time so they can practice on the SNES M16 trainer

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
Dude, we did that poo poo it was so bad, and the old like mechanical pinball table weird rear end ones

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
Like I just remembered that like 1970 poo poo now for the first time since that one day in ~2003~