Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

stevewm posted:

I think part of this is that GM seemed to have designed it to be a EV first... instead of a ICE car with a electric motor tacked on as so many other PHEVs seem to be. It is also one of the few where the EV drivetrain is more powerful than the ICE drivetrain and also one the few that doesn’t have any compromises running in one mode or the other. The majority of PHEVs are the other way around, hence the Clarity using the ICE under heavy load, or having worse performance in EV only mode.

I did a lot of research before buying my Volt. I was really surprised that such a great product came from GM. Couldn’t be more happier with my choice.

GM Powertrain is world-class, and the Volt was high priority enough that the bean counters didn’t get too much time to nitpick it to death.

They still sell hardly any of them, because GM doesn’t know how to market literally anything that doesn’t say Silverado on the side. Also worst-in-the-industry dealerships. Service departments are ok, but their sales teams are atrocious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Make the volt a legit 5-seater and we'll talk.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

eyebeem posted:

Make the volt a legit 5-seater and we'll talk.

This is my only concession with the Volt, especially since I have 3 kids. Good news is, the vast majority of the time the kids go with the family truckster (Explorer) and next to never are we traveling with all five of us. My oldest sits shotgun when I take the kids myself around town.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

MrYenko posted:

They still sell hardly any of them, because GM doesn’t know how to market literally anything that doesn’t say Silverado on the side. Also worst-in-the-industry dealerships. Service departments are ok, but their sales teams are atrocious.

They do not want EVs to succeed. PHEVs are a hedge in case they can't stop them.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Ola posted:

The Volt has a lot of clever design features. I don't know for sure, but I think it's the best plugin hybrid out there, and if development continues to get skewed towards all electrics, it will remain so.

The only thing that scares the poo poo out of me about the Volt is the depreciation. I had a Honda Fit that I sold to a dealer for way, way more than I thought it was worth because of the badge, and I have a bad feeling that a GM product won’t age as gracefully.

The Volt’s build quality from a technical and mechanical standpoint is second to none from what I can tell (and what everyone here reiterates), but that doesn’t mean poo poo if the public at large believes that Chevy = poor quality. That’s what I think might be chasing people away from the Bolt, too. It’s a shame because it’s one thing GM seems to do incredibly well yet they’re not seeing a reward for anything aside from selling SUVs and trucks.

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

Ripoff posted:

The only thing that scares the poo poo out of me about the Volt is the depreciation. I had a Honda Fit that I sold to a dealer for way, way more than I thought it was worth because of the badge, and I have a bad feeling that a GM product won’t age as gracefully.

The Volt’s build quality from a technical and mechanical standpoint is second to none from what I can tell (and what everyone here reiterates), but that doesn’t mean poo poo if the public at large believes that Chevy = poor quality. That’s what I think might be chasing people away from the Bolt, too. It’s a shame because it’s one thing GM seems to do incredibly well yet they’re not seeing a reward for anything aside from selling SUVs and trucks.

The depreciation is what caused me to actually buy my Leaf instead of jumping on another lease. Maybe GM won't do the same, but Nissan adjusted the buyout based on how the used market was, which took $6000 off the original buyout.

This really doesn't matter if you don't keep your vehicles though. I've had zero issues with my car and if fits my needs, so I won't be getting rid of it, just like I won't get rid of my 15yo car without issues(Buick).

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
I could see myself upgrading in a few years if we get some big jump in battery tech and then hold on to the Volt for when my son turns 16.

Good car for a kid.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
If you need a good dose of eye-rolling and want to feel stupider by the time you’re done, I can recommend the discussion thread to this piece on EV design: https://arstechnica.com/cars/2018/06/change-like-weve-not-seen-in-decades-high-end-auto-designers-go-electric/

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Suck the head for a little extra cajun flavor
Fallen Rib

drgitlin posted:

If you need a good dose of eye-rolling and want to feel stupider by the time you’re done, I can recommend the discussion thread to this piece on EV design: https://arstechnica.com/cars/2018/06/change-like-weve-not-seen-in-decades-high-end-auto-designers-go-electric/

Who knew the early vision for the Jag i-pace was so "Houston donk" I wonder what type of goofy logo they would put on it, Mars bar?

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

spandexcajun posted:

Who knew the early vision for the Jag i-pace was so "Houston donk" I wonder what type of goofy logo they would put on it, Mars bar?

30" wheels are standard concept art affair. And honestly, that could be any suv/cuv concept. There isn't really a distinct "that a Jaguar" design to it.

Phuzun fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Jun 4, 2018

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
If anyone (else) is interested in Zero Motorcycles, it looks like they updated their branding today. https://rideapart.com/articles/zero-electric-motorcycles-logo-update

Old:

New:

I'm coming from ten years of car-free bicycle life and got a newbie (ICE) motorcycle a few weeks ago. Planning on getting a Zero S later this year or next spring.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Ulf posted:

If anyone (else) is interested in Zero Motorcycles, it looks like they updated their branding today. https://rideapart.com/articles/zero-electric-motorcycles-logo-update

Cool, so when they slap the logo on the bikes people will have even less of an idea on who makes it. :haw:

Seriously though, Zeros are so unknown that the local DMV literally has no idea it's an EV and registers the FXS as a gasoline bike. I have to repeat the name of it like 3-4 times to some folks who keep asking if it's made by Yamaha or some other Japanese brand. I had one guy refuse to believe it was a different company until I showed him the little American flag on the tail.

Also which ICE bike did you get? Ironically I'd say that the FXS is the easiest bike I've ridden and is less prone in Eco mode to get me in trouble than anything I've ridden in the past. It's a hell of a commuter too, where you don't give a drat about getting stuck in traffic in lane-splitting-free states, whereas the old Duc would enter "hot oil freak-out mode" every time I got stuck behind a car. The only thing that sucks is that the range isn't exactly great for the 6.5 kWh bikes and that Zero basically abandoned the ChaDeMo charging port thing a while back in favor of just strapping larger level 2 chargers on the bike. Great for the S-chassis folks who bought their bikes in 2017-2018, but it screwed us with the X-chassis over. I wish they'd retry the DC-charging equipment because I'd love to take this thing up to some twisty roads for general assholery, but I don't feel like sitting around forever with the bullshit 700-something-watt charger slowly putting juice back into it if I take things too far.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Ripoff posted:

The only thing that scares the poo poo out of me about the Volt is the depreciation.

That's why you buy a three year old one for 60% off.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
I actually like the new logo, though it needs a few more design rounds (a little more separation to make the "Z" more apparent, and I'd flatten the bevel a little)

I tried to take the Cycle Asylum advice and just-get-a-ninja-250 but I just couldn't live with the tryhard edgy look or the Kawi green, so I found a low-mileage CBR250R that I've been loving. I thought about starting on the Zero S and just running it in eco mode while I learned, but it was less a question of power and more that I'd worry so much about dinging up such a pricey bike with a newbie mistake.

I plan on getting the charge tank (allows 6.6kW charging via J Plug), it's still <1C charging but it beats the wall plug. There are lots of level 2 chargers in the I-70 corridor so I should be good there.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Ulf posted:

If anyone (else) is interested in Zero Motorcycles, it looks like they updated their branding today.
New:

That looks like a cropped Mazda logo.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

Ulf posted:

Old:

New:
I think this is the first time I've ever seen a logo update that seemed like an improvement.
That's a snazzy new logo, I like how it is both Z for zero and a literal zero in the same space.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

bull3964 posted:

That looks like a cropped Mazda logo.

My first impression too.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Old logo was bad.

New logo is also bad.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Don't give a gently caress, electric motorcycles are so cool they could have a turd as a logo and still be OK in my book.

(New logo ain't bad.)

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

That new Zero logo is insanely bad and looks like something out of the early 2000s.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

The old logo looks like it was built from clipart flotsam, so the new one is an improvement. Hope they are rebranding because they are about to launch a major upgrade.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

That new Zero logo is insanely bad and looks like something out of the early 2000s.

Like one of those chinese brand knockoffs

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
It looks like a knock off of the Honda auto emblem. What do Honda motorcycles have on them now?

Edit, still the wing and a big blocky HONDA.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Almost every new car logo looks silly, then you get used to it and it's normal and fine.

The zero logo is one of the better ones, IMO.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Paywalled article about electric ferries in Norway, but the video is playable for everyone: https://www.tu.no/artikler/dette-er-verdens-forste-helelektriske-fergesamband/438991

Shows the vacuum docking system (so the ferry doesn't have to waste energy staying in contact with the ramp) and the self connecting charge port.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Interesting!

quote:

World’s first liquid air energy storage plant opens in Lancashire

(snip)

LAES works by cooling air to -196°C, transforming it into a liquid that is stored at low pressure in insulated tanks. When power is needed the liquid air is pumped to high pressure and heated. The result is a high-pressure gas that is used to power a turbine and create electricity.

The Pilsworth plant has a capacity of five megawatts and can store 15 megawatt hours (MWh) of electricity — enough to power about 5,000 average-sized homes for around three hours. A commercial-scale plant would have a capacity of 50mw.

Sean McLoughlin, a clean energy analyst at HSBC, said that liquid air energy storage was a more “complex” version of compressed air energy storage but had the advantage of being more space efficient.

​”Cryogenic cooling presents costs challenges and practical issues, which makes it in my view still an early-stage technology​,” he said.

https://www.ft.com/content/fa755eec-67e3-11e8-b6eb-4acfcfb08c11

Might be paywalled, you can go through it if you Google the title and click the search result link.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

MrYenko posted:

GM Powertrain is world-class, and the Volt was high priority enough that the bean counters didn’t get too much time to nitpick it to death.

woah FCA dealerships still exist ok

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

woah FCA dealerships still exist ok

Have you shopped for a Mitsubishi?

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Elephanthead posted:

Have you shopped for a Mitsubishi?

Was at the NY car show last year and off in a distant part of the convention center was Mitsubishi. I was shocked by a) how low their MSRPs were and b) that they were still in the US market.

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001

Agronox posted:

Was at the NY car show last year and off in a distant part of the convention center was Mitsubishi. I was shocked by a) how low their MSRPs were and b) that they were still in the US market.

I also was amazed at how 1990's their "new" outlander looked inside. I had this idea I wanted a PHEV outlander until I actually walked up to one and looked inside.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
I don't think anybody actually goes out intending to buy a Mitsubishi anymore, not since they killed the Evo. People just go out with a class of vehicle and a budget in mind while insisting that they get something brand new, and they end up in one because their budget really should have led them to something 2-3 years old, CPO off a lease.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
Speaking of FCA dealers, don’t ever buy an EV off of their lots. Their F&I guy at the local dealer was trying to sell us on oil change plans for an i3. :stare:

FCA dealers must have a general intelligence test to be a salesperson or manager of sorts, except the higher scores flunk out and the dumber you are the higher you go.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Ripoff posted:

Speaking of FCA dealers, don’t ever buy an EV off of their lots. Their F&I guy at the local dealer was trying to sell us on oil change plans for an i3. :stare:

FCA dealers must have a general intelligence test to be a salesperson or manager of sorts, except the higher scores flunk out and the dumber you are the higher you go.

My experience has been that all dealerships are run by idiots.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Doesn't the I3 have a gas engine generator? (Optional) I did get free oil changes with my leaf but I made them trade them for a car wash book.

LowOnCyan
Feb 29, 2016

None of this matters
My Wife and I've just purchased a 2018 Nissan Leaf SV (Mid Trim) about two weeks ago, I've got to say that it's quite the experience.

We felt that range anxiety until we got the Flo charger installed at the house.
We've just noticed today that we haven't driven our 2nd car in awhile either.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Elephanthead posted:

Doesn't the I3 have a gas engine generator? (Optional)
Yes but the Oil Change / Checkup for the thing is like once a year.
My wife got hers in December and the readout says the next service appointment should be this August.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Ripoff posted:

This is thing where they’re purposefully trying to kill electric cars, right? :smith:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

movax posted:

This is thing where they’re purposefully trying to kill electric cars, right? :smith:

Yes.

Dealerships make bank on service and maintenance, especially when they convince people to ridiculously short service intervals, like 3000 mile oil changes on modern cars.

EVs threaten to seriously slash their profits, so they hate them.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

KozmoNaut posted:

Yes.

Dealerships make bank on service and maintenance, especially when they convince people to ridiculously short service intervals, like 3000 mile oil changes on modern cars.

EVs threaten to seriously slash their profits, so they hate them.

Can't wait for the juju to start (it probably has) about "battery flushes" or other questionable maintenance practices for EVs. I guess tire places won't really care, but mechanics / regular service departments will take a beating as (perhaps if, according to some) the percentage of ICE cars drops. Not sure if there's a straightforward intercept strategy to pivot to supporting EVs; brakes are still important / require service...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Fewer moving parts = maintenance needs generally should decrease significantly.

Of course, there will still be faults and such to be fixed, but that requires a different skillset compared to good old-fashioned ICE repair and maintenance, so you need to be more of an electrician -- or even a computer dude -- than a mechanic. Outside of the basic stuff like brakes and axles and stuff.

It's obviously not going to change overnight, but if you're a young mechanic, definitely learn as much about electric poo poo as you possibly can. Unless you have a good business plan for a garage that keeps people's "obsolete" ICE cars running. You'll be competing with a lot of older ICE expert mechanics who don't want to/can't learn that newfangled electric drivetrain stuff, though.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Jun 6, 2018

• Locked thread