Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ossipago
Nov 14, 2012

Muldoon

Schneider Heim posted:

Alternatively I could actually play through KOTOR1 and KOTOR2.

This. Very this. KOTOR2 is even better now with the Steam workshop, you can easily get that one uber restored content patch that restores so much of what was cut.

Radio Free Kobold posted:

If you haven't played KOTOR2, it's good. Like a giant middle finger to Star Wars.

It's like The Last Jedi of Star Wars games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

except TLJ was kinda mediocre and KOTOR 2 is actually good. same idea though, tossing all that stupid Star Wars poo poo that Star Wars likes to jack off over into the garbage where it belongs.
Kreia did nothing wrong.

Turbl
Nov 8, 2007

I played KOTOR2 but I actually enjoyed reading Scorchy's LP of it more than I enjoyed playing it. It's an interesting story but it really felt too much like an unfinished mess of a game. Especially the end part.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Paging Oedzi to tell everyone how great KOTOR2 is

some dillweed
Mar 31, 2007

Yeah. There are obvious unfinished parts in KotOR 2, but it was still a great story. It just could have been even better if Obsidian had actually finished it, or at least finished more of it.

I still haven't tried the restored content or M4-78 mods and this talk reminded me that I should do that. It sounds like some stuff couldn't be added/restored in the end due to lack of files and whatever, but a decent amount still made it. After playing through that game multiple times plain, it'll be interesting to see how those changes affect things.

Mgant
Nov 26, 2005

Best in the West
Resubbed for a bit, havent played since middle of the Kotfe expansion. I hope some are still around in the guild, played mostly my lightning dude Fatgant and the Mgant BH if anyone remember : )

I read that a lot has changed so looking forward to check some stuff out!

DrunkenGarbageCan
Nov 4, 2009

Medullah posted:

I'm torn on the Huttball changes. It makes it so you can't cheese roll to victory with a concealment Operative, but on the other hand I can no longer cheese roll to victory with my Operative

Putting Hinder on the ball carrier would turn it into 1.2 Huttball where you had HO, Force Speed, Force Charge and none of those broke roots/slows. Looks like they're rethinking it...changes need to be made but I think the Hinder idea goes too far.

My idea was to give movement abilities the chance to "fumble" the ball where it gets passed to a random player or the ground. The faster the ability the higher the chance to fumble while the fumble check would happen every GCD so non-Utility HO would have 3-4 small chances to fumble while lolroll would have one high chance. That and add 2 more spawn points for the ball to discourage camping.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Kreia did nothing wrong.
I feel that Kreia becomes a little less likable as a character when you consider she's essentially Space Ayn Rand who's hella upset about Space Christianity (i.e. the Force) and its predestinating ways.

DJDace
Mar 23, 2005
Professional Idiot - When to comes to stupid, we don't fuck around!
<sigh> If I had a PC I would seriously consider returning to this game. I get the itch about every 3 months or so. Just for the single player story experience alone it'd be fun.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Sombrerotron posted:

I feel that Kreia becomes a little less likable as a character when you consider she's essentially Space Ayn Rand who's hella upset about Space Christianity (i.e. the Force) and its predestinating ways.

She's way less likable as a character when you've played a couple of games Chris Avellone has written and realize that she's a crappy Ravel knockoff and he just keeps doing the same plot over and over.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

I hear Consular is pretty bad.

For what it's worth I liked Consular enough for it to be the second storyline I saw through to the end. It's definitely a lot more low-key than any of the other classes, though.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Consular is my favorite force sensitive story. It doesn't work dark side though. It feels like it was written for Jedi Mc Light, and not being that at least to an extent means your story makes no sense. There are some good dark choices, especially early on, where it asks you 'does a jedi give in to save someone now, or emotionlessly choose to sacrifice one person for the good of thousands or millions'.

And you even get to defend these choices with jedi code stuff.

But the main dark side choices aren't that and suck.

FaintlyQuaint
Aug 19, 2011

The king and his men.
Grimey Drawer
I like Sith Warrior story a lot because of how angry Jedi seem to get when you don't act like cartoon villain evil incarnate.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

The best part of being a Sith Warrior is being sassy at Baras.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Sombrerotron posted:

The best part of being a Sith Warrior is being sassy at Baras feeding Jaesa’s insane bloodlust.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

I've only played a LS Warrior so far so I wouldn't know about that.

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]
Bought this at launch and've played a few times after the f2p conversion too.

Man, the f2p stuff is so IN YOUR FACE from the first second you start playing. What a lovely first impression this probably leaves with a lot of people. Should instead be bombarding you with cool 'n' free poo poo at least for a few hours before wanting you to pay up.

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]
Just filled up my one free actionbar at level 10.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Sombrerotron posted:

I've only played a LS Warrior so far so I wouldn't know about that.

She becomes a completely different character if you’re DS at a certain point; I still keep meaning to roll another warrior and see what that’s all about but :effort:

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Zam Wesell posted:

Just filled up my one free actionbar at level 10.
If you bought the game, I think you should have preferred status and would at least have access to a few action bars? You may have to enable them via preferences or the GUI editor though, it's been so long since I've had to toy around with the interface I'm not quite sure how many bars show up by default.

Ainsley McTree posted:

She becomes a completely different character if you’re DS at a certain point; I still keep meaning to roll another warrior and see what that’s all about but :effort:
I knew that much, it's just that I haven't tried it yet so I can't confirm/deny whether it's better than continuously giving Baras lip.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Warrior is 100% best played with a mix of dark and light. Playing total dark side is cartoonishly evil, but if you mix in light side decisions it really drives people crazy. DS Jaessa is better, in my opinion, though she does suffer from the same problem where she has two completely separate personas and both are extreme.

An example of great mixing of choices is in Chapter 1 you find Jaessa's parents. You are given the choice to kill them or spare them. If you take the choice to spare them, your next option can be "Yep, we've spared them and sent them to Dromund Kaas.... where we can have them tortured for information.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

DS Jaesa is far too extreme for me. The fact that one of her first post-gaining conversations involves her Bragging about how she seduced and then murdered a republic officer while having sex, and implies that she got off on the combination of sex + murder... just turned me off her entirely, to the point where I actually restarted my SW and went predominantly light with some dark mixed in, just to get light jaesa.

Both are too extreme and despite being able to 'mix' it, the LS and DS choices are both dumb and extreme in many cases too. LS is constantly Emotion is wrong, lets be jedi, blah blah and Dark side constantly going ONLY THE STRONG DESERVE POWER, MWHAHHA gives mixing it sometimes this... terrible tonal dissonance with itself. The devs really needed to add a third neutral path where you could go 'jee, murdering everyone isn't the best idea, but enjoying life and being free to do it is great!'

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!
If you didn’t lightning blast every rear end in a top hat you came across during the inquisitor story, you played it wrong.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

B-Mac posted:

If you didn’t lightning blast every rear end in a top hat you came across during the inquisitor story, you played it wrong.

DS Jaesa and my DS Sorc would have been a murderous match made in evil sith heaven (normal hell?)

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I was playing a LS Warrior and it was pretty nice to diffuse stuff without actually fighting (as the DS option would have you engage in combat right away).

Wait, so in the Consular story choices, is the "let a few souls suffer for the sake of millions" the actual LS choice?"

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Schneider Heim posted:

Wait, so in the Consular story choices, is the "let a few souls suffer for the sake of millions" the actual LS choice?"

No, it's the dark side choice.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

KittyEmpress posted:

DS Jaesa is far too extreme for me. The fact that one of her first post-gaining conversations involves her Bragging about how she seduced and then murdered a republic officer while having sex, and implies that she got off on the combination of sex + murder... just turned me off her entirely, to the point where I actually restarted my SW and went predominantly light with some dark mixed in, just to get light jaesa.

Both are too extreme and despite being able to 'mix' it, the LS and DS choices are both dumb and extreme in many cases too. LS is constantly Emotion is wrong, lets be jedi, blah blah and Dark side constantly going ONLY THE STRONG DESERVE POWER, MWHAHHA gives mixing it sometimes this... terrible tonal dissonance with itself. The devs really needed to add a third neutral path where you could go 'jee, murdering everyone isn't the best idea, but enjoying life and being free to do it is great!'

The Knight explicitly mentions basically the second part but only in the context of the relationship with Kira. I would say Knight's voice acting is bad (sorry David Hayter) but the writing isn't out--and-out terrible. Warrior has far better writing and voice acting. Consular is bad all around.

The best stories are definitely the ones that allow shades of grey. Agent, Warrior, Smuggler (up to a point, then you're railroaded into being a Republic errand boy), etc.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

Chickenwalker posted:

The Knight explicitly mentions basically the second part but only in the context of the relationship with Kira. I would say Knight's voice acting is bad (sorry David Hayter) but the writing isn't out--and-out terrible. Warrior has far better writing and voice acting. Consular is bad all around.

The best stories are definitely the ones that allow shades of grey. Agent, Warrior, Smuggler (up to a point, then you're railroaded into being a Republic errand boy), etc.

I don't even think the Consular story is that bad, but Consular does have the worst companion set of the lot. gently caress all them bitches.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

XBenedict posted:

I don't even think the Consular story is that bad, but Consular does have the worst companion set of the lot. gently caress all them bitches.

Say what you may about the Consular companions but Theran gets the second best companion customization in the game.

"I'M SORRY I THOUGHT THIS WAS AMERICA"

Best customization is junk backpack Blizz

DrunkenGarbageCan
Nov 4, 2009
Wish they'd introduce a completely customizable companion. Go thru character creator, choose Tech/Force, choose Ranged/Melee, and just choose a voiceset from the existing comps.

Also make a Ranged Force DPS powerset. :argh:

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

DrunkenGarbageCan posted:

Also make a Ranged Force DPS powerset. :argh:

Telekinetic Sage?

DrunkenGarbageCan
Nov 4, 2009

XBenedict posted:

Telekinetic Sage?

Errr...for companions I meant. All DPS Force using companions are melee based.

IncelThreadGasser
Aug 16, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Would be nice to play this game again but the emotional stress is giving me psychogenic seizures.

IncelThreadGasser fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Jun 13, 2018

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

XBenedict posted:

look man I'd concede the point on 4/5 of them but don't diss my boy Qyzen :argh:

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

dmboogie posted:

look man I'd concede the point on 4/5 of them but don't diss my boy Qyzen :argh:

Qyzen is garbage person. He's a remorseless murderer who gets upset when the tables get turned on him and his dumb people, as if their noble savage hunter culture is somehow better than the murder-for-profit game various Wookiees and traitor Trandoshans are engaged in during his story.

I like the Consular story but it really needed opportunities to tell your crew off for their self-centred, creepy and/or horrifying worldviews instead of meekly supporting them all the time. A third act party in the airlock would have been very welcome.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

plus he makes you read subtitles

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I actually liked Nadia, with the caveat that I was playing a lady Consular. I generally like the Consular a lot for being a properly wise, scholarly, diplomatic sort of Jedi and all the fighting is mainly a concession to game mechanics, and Nadia's relationship with the lady Consular felt like a really well done teacher-student relationship, maybe a bit of mom-daughter or big sister-little sister like most close teacher-student relationships tend to have. Sure, she arrives too late in the story to do much and too late for there being much room for her character and her relationship with the Consular to grow, but for a character whose actual personality is pretty bland I thought her relationship with the Consular was executed well.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

The male relationship with Nadia is really creepy... Particularly for me because I made a really old-looking character and accidentally picked what I thought was a neutral "let her down gently" dialogue choice but turned out to be a "now we start making out" dialogue choice, and I was too shocked to escape out of it, so the romance was just locked in at that point... Ugh. The overall master/student creepiness was only compounded by what seemed like a fairly extreme age gap...

Kira Carsen's romance arc with the knight wasn't that bad, by comparison... she seemed like more of an equal storywise, and she also showed up early enough in the story (on the newbie planet!) that it doesn't feel forced, like they actually go through a lot together as a team. Nadia doesn't even show up until chapter 2, and doesn't unlock as a companion until the consular story is almost over. I don't think any other romance characters were dropped on you that late in the game.

And can I bring up one more time my pet peeve that every force user's "apprentice" love interest is a girl? The only male force-user companions are basically monsters, one way or another. Have they added any since Arcann?

In other news, I have not been playing this game much lately but I logged in last night and spent my accumulated hutt bux on those packs of underworld lowlife NPC's, which were a pretty badass addition to my dirty, Mos Eisley-esque stronghold. Weird that the cantina musicians are dead silent, but hey, I put a jukebox next to them so it kinda works. I feel like it would have been better to have one full-band decoration on a little stage that functionally IS a jukebox, like you click it and they start rockin' out.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Nerd Of Prey posted:

I feel like it would have been better to have one full-band decoration on a little stage that functionally IS a jukebox, like you click it and they start rockin' out.

Getting visions of Chuck E Cheese in space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Cythereal posted:

I actually liked Nadia, with the caveat that I was playing a lady Consular. I generally like the Consular a lot for being a properly wise, scholarly, diplomatic sort of Jedi and all the fighting is mainly a concession to game mechanics, and Nadia's relationship with the lady Consular felt like a really well done teacher-student relationship, maybe a bit of mom-daughter or big sister-little sister like most close teacher-student relationships tend to have. Sure, she arrives too late in the story to do much and too late for there being much room for her character and her relationship with the Consular to grow, but for a character whose actual personality is pretty bland I thought her relationship with the Consular was executed well.

As a male consular every conversation with Nadia seemed to be about how her career as some sort of princess back home was going ("should I open an airport?"). Comments about how she should be paying attention to her Jedi training were always brushed off despite evidence that it's going very, very badly (things exploding in the halls). She's a bad student, and naturally powerful enough for that to be extremely dangerous.

Contrast with Jaesa who is a very, very receptive student, and naturally powerful enough for that to have horrifying results.

I never really got the whole "scholarly, diplomatic" thing from the Consular. You play a galactic warlord who strongarms their way towards gathering troops for the Star War. It's more interesting than the one-man-army-defeats-superweapons Knight storyline, but Wise it ain't.