Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I'm sure there are numerous studies that outline how companies barely scrape by. Like some places have departments that are actively undermining each other but still manage to push out production.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Our logistics department vehemently fights against anything to make their job easier because they are convinced they will get fired if it gets automated at all, but stuff still gets where it needs to go. A lot of companies do the absolute minimum to get by.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
I just went over to my previous company to catch up on some projects and found out they hired a new NOC manager who used to be my coworker 12 years ago in a NOC. He was very excited to see my name on an email, he told one of the other engineers he cavnt wait to boss me around. He was then informed I am an independent consultant so besides the PMs no one has authority to give me direction. Goodbye wind in sails

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Kashuno posted:

Our logistics department vehemently fights against anything to make their job easier because they are convinced they will get fired if it gets automated at all, but stuff still gets where it needs to go. A lot of companies do the absolute minimum to get by.

The other end of the spectrum is managers who want things automated to the point where the system does their job for them so they can sit at their desk and drink coffee.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.

Sepist posted:

I just went over to my previous company to catch up on some projects and found out they hired a new NOC manager who used to be my coworker 12 years ago in a NOC. He was very excited to see my name on an email, he told one of the other engineers he cavnt wait to boss me around. He was then informed I am an independent consultant so besides the PMs no one has authority to give me direction. Goodbye wind in sails

maybe the guy was just being cheeky?

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k

Thom and the Heads posted:

maybe the guy was just being cheeky?

Nah he just has power trips. When I was a network engineer at that same company he had become NOC manager and would try to pull clout on me

Also he was there the first time I crimped an rj45. He barged into my process and suggested I cut the ends even (was going to do that anyway) so now, to this day, he tells people he taught me how to crimp a cable. Drives me mad

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

What an incredibly dumb thing to be proud of lol

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Kashuno posted:

Our move to O365 was delayed a year because finance had some reports that ran in 2010 after being built in 2003, and didn’t function in 2016. Eventually they just demanded we give them both Office 2016 and Excel 2010 instead of ever updating the reports (to this day)

Not quite the same, but yeah. People are serious about Excel

Can confirm. We have a similar situation here where a tool that Finance uses for reporting is an old version that only works on 2010, so we have a whole department still using Excel 2010, which we install over Office 2016. That works, surprisingly.

Vargatron posted:

Classified as "business critical" and has no documentation whatsoever.

And hooks into 4 DBF files.

Which nobody knows how are created.

:smithicide:

Because the guy who wrote it all moved on to another company years ago.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Vargatron posted:

The other end of the spectrum is managers who want things automated to the point where the system does their job for them so they can sit at their desk and drink coffee.

That's the loving dream. Give me an office and i'll be set.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Darchangel posted:

Can confirm. We have a similar situation here where a tool that Finance uses for reporting is an old version that only works on 2010, so we have a whole department still using Excel 2010, which we install over Office 2016. That works, surprisingly.
Hahaha, ask me about the Access 97 databases we’re only just now getting around to modernizing.

please don’t ask

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Judge Schnoopy posted:

If i can't push a disgusting abomination with nested ifs and more regex than is humanly readable against a pivot table of a pivot table then what's the loving point

And then there's me trying to explain that if you're actually running out of memory in 32-bit Excel and need the 64-bit version, odds are you're using the wrong loving tool for whatever bullshit you're trying to do.

And then we install it anyway :\

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

George H.W. oval office posted:

What an incredibly dumb thing to be proud of lol

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

With a combination of an add-in and macros, our finance department uses excel as the client interface for our finance software.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Sepist posted:

Nah he just has power trips. When I was a network engineer at that same company he had become NOC manager and would try to pull clout on me

Also he was there the first time I crimped an rj45. He barged into my process and suggested I cut the ends even (was going to do that anyway) so now, to this day, he tells people he taught me how to crimp a cable. Drives me mad

"Since you're bragging, that must be the height of your technical achievements, right?"

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Celigo makes a product that lets you edit records directly in Excel that it pulls from your ERP/CRM

Accounting has such a loving hard-on for this "WE CAN JUST DO EVERYTHING IN EXCEL NOW"

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

You can do that normally if you setup an ODBC connection.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
Anyone have any experience working at Morgan Stanley?

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Bob Morales posted:

Celigo makes a product that lets you edit records directly in Excel that it pulls from your ERP/CRM

Accounting has such a loving hard-on for this "WE CAN JUST DO EVERYTHING IN EXCEL NOW"

THIS IS WHAT I AM SAYING, PEOPLE.

The fact that I haven't had people request dumping their mailboxes into CSVs for Excel import is amazing to me.

Necronomicon
Jan 18, 2004

Does anyone have experience with setting up Freeradius and Kerberos to run together? I've been stuck trying to containerize this for way too long and I wonder if there are any alternatives for the use case (setting up authentication to Unifi network in office).

Necronomicon fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jun 5, 2018

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Bob Morales posted:

oh gently caress the cat's already out of the bag

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Bob Morales posted:

we have custom programs that export tables from SAP as text files that then get imported into SQL and manipulated by Access to allow users to C&P the data into Excel every single day.

Yeah

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Kashuno posted:

we have custom programs that export tables from SAP as text files that then get imported into SQL and manipulated by Access to allow users to C&P the data into Excel every single day.

Yeah

Worse is better

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Y'all are a bunch of monsters.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Internet Explorer posted:

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
This sounds awful but is probably no more brittle than any other ETL pipeline

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Internet Explorer posted:

To be fair we have moved all of our ERP table exports to a whole different server and have told people to rewrite their reports and access poo poo, and that we cannot and will not verify any data from the old way of doing things. There is one guy who really won’t move his poo poo so no one his data

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I'd take an Excel template with areas for people to enter data into that goes off and syncs with something else, over a shithouse Visual Basic monstrosity that connects directly to a database server and vomits all over it whenever there's a network blip.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

We used to have “give the excel file to as/400 guy and he will spend the afternoon hand keying it with a bunch of errors”

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Bob Morales posted:

We used to have “give the excel file to as/400 guy and he will spend the afternoon hand keying it with a bunch of errors”

I know at least two retail locations that do this.

Canadian Tire does this

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
seems to me an as/400 guy would have better things to do with his time.

cheque_some
Dec 6, 2006
The Wizard of Menlo Park
I have seen Excel sheets with live streaming market data in them. Stuff you wouldn't even believe. Spreadsheets with their own scroll bars nested inside Excel sheets.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
:cry:

This is both incredibly terrifying and triggering.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

adorai posted:

Well it made him feel needed and gave validation to his sad sad life

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

cheque_some posted:

I have seen Excel sheets with live streaming market data in them. Stuff you wouldn't even believe. Spreadsheets with their own scroll bars nested inside Excel sheets.

And soon, they will have javascript running in them as well.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

adorai posted:

Not if the software running on the system hasn’t changed in 20 years so all you do is make sure PTFs are applied a couple of times a year and call IBM for service whenever it shits out a DDM or PSU.

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

Aunt Beth posted:

Not if the software running on the system hasn’t changed in 20 years so all you do is make sure PTFs are applied a couple of times a year and call IBM for service whenever it shits out a DDM or PSU.

Yep, our old mainframe guys always tell stories about how little work they actually had to do. (They sure as hell weren't doing manual data entry either)

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

PBS posted:

Yep, our old mainframe guys always tell stories about how little work they actually had to do. (They sure as hell weren't doing manual data entry either)
I’ll bitch about IBM as a company all day long, but their legacy lines of business - mainframes, POWER systems, enterprise disk/tape storage, and most of the associated software - are all stone cold reliable. They’re really wonderful machines.

e: when I say software I mean the base OS, drivers, core stuff. Don’t get me started on Lotus and Tivoli.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

PBS posted:

I joke about this being "the dream" all the time but i'm actually wondering what they did all day. Especially before the golden age of shitposting.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Taking a nap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

I remember the mainframe guy at my first gig played Starcraft all day.