Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
Cracker Barrel isn't that great but it is the best breakfast chain*

*Waffle House doesn't count

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caufman
May 7, 2007
I've never been to a Cracker Barrel. We have Shari's in Oregon, and I'd gladly kill any of you to defend their honor or for a free pie.

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004
No love in this thread for Huddle House.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

spit on my clit posted:

A lot of people seem to dislike cracker barrel. i am here to express my joy of cracker barrel. it is fantastic food and any naysayers must be jastiger

The use too much salt in their gravy, otherwise yeah.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

What's Baker's Square called in other places? I know it was called something else when I was in Arizona, but I can't remember what. That place is the best for breakfast because breakfast should always be a slice of French Silk pie and like 4 cups of coffee.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Been reading this thread at work for a while and I finally reached the end. I think it's an unpopular opinion but yeah I eat rear end is the dumbest mother fucker in this thread, even beyond tiggum and others.

Also nirvana sucks rear end and if Kurt had lived they'd be just as forgotten as the rest of grunge is now

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

purple death ray posted:

Been reading this thread at work for a while and I finally reached the end. I think it's an unpopular opinion but yeah I eat rear end is the dumbest mother fucker in this thread, even beyond tiggum and others.

Also nirvana sucks rear end and if Kurt had lived they'd be just as forgotten as the rest of grunge is now

wow, rude

also even I haven't read this thread in its entirety, what's wrong with you?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I hope I’m others

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

at least admit I'm better than mister bibs purple death ray

please, it's incredibly important for my self esteem

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

purple death ray posted:

Nirvana and the rest of grunge are equally “forgotten”

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
I liked Soundgarden. They had a cool sound.

But, like, I was in HS when Nirvana was super popular, and I never got it. Like, maybe instead of having teen angst, you should behave yourself and do what you are told and you won't be a fuckup.

This goes for adults too.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Dross posted:

Nirvana and the rest of grunge are equally “forgotten”

One of my close friends dated Eddie Vedder's ex-wife Beth for a few years. He was really hesitant to bring her around us because, at the time, we were really really big pieces of poo poo and he had managed to hide a lot of what we were doing from her. Well, he eventually told us that he was going to bring her over for a small get together to watch a football or hockey game or something, and told us to absolutely not mention their age difference because she was kind of sensitive about dating a younger guy.

So they come walking in and he introduces us to her and the first words out of my mouth were "Oh! You must be Marty's mom!" He immediately punched me in the face. We all had a good laugh, and she got along with absolutely everyone. They broke up maybe a year later.

That's my "grunge" band story.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

Feminism was co-opted by corporate and government interests as a means of forcing women into the workforce as the economy shifted to a 2-breadwinners-per-family model. This greatly expanded the pool of available workers paying taxes, and increased competition for available jobs resulting in stagnant wages.

No truly revolutionary, movement of oppressor vs. oppressed would be taught in universities, promoted in corporate media, or receive federal funding.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Raising Cane's is terrible.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Canemacar posted:

Feminism was co-opted by corporate and government interests as a means of forcing women into the workforce as the economy shifted to a 2-breadwinners-per-family model. This greatly expanded the pool of available workers paying taxes, and increased competition for available jobs resulting in stagnant wages.

No truly revolutionary, movement of oppressor vs. oppressed would be taught in universities, promoted in corporate media, or receive federal funding.

You really they have put that much thought into it, or exercise that level of control or in particular that level of coordination?

Feminism (with massive wage gaps) is publically popular and it is personally feel-good for most of the people making the decisions. That's it.

There is no organised conspiracy, just the path of least resistance.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

Strategic Tea posted:

You really they have put that much thought into it, or exercise that level of control or in particular that level of coordination?

I don't think it was an astroturf campaign engineered from the very beginning or anything like that. I think the powerful saw a sub-culture and decided to corporatize it for profit. Same thing that happened in the rap and geek sub-cultures.

Strategic Tea posted:

Feminism (with massive wage gaps) is publically popular and it is personally feel-good for most of the people making the decisions. That's it.

The wage gap is a statistical fallacy. It's been illegal on the Federal level to discriminate in pay on the basis of gender since 1963. The gap in earnings is due to how, broadly-speaking, men work more hours; take less time off; and seek higher paying fields.

Strategic Tea posted:

There is no organised conspiracy, just the path of least resistance.

It's been standard COINTELPRO operation for the government to systematically infiltrate any political organizations with "dangerous" ideas since at least Hoover's time.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Guy Goodbody posted:

Raising Cane's is terrible.

Yes. We just got them here and people were talking it up like it was great, so I tried it and it was the greasiest most overwhelming thing I've ever eaten.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Canemacar posted:

Makes me think of an unpopular opinion of my own.

Feminism is flawed. It needs work. It focuses too heavily on the female side of gender issues. I'm not saying that it's wrong just that it can use improvements.

The thing that bothers me the most about that is that you can't criticize feminism at all without being branded an MRA. That's problematic as everything should be questioned all the time. That's how discussion happens and things are improved. More importantly MRAs are disgustingly wrong. Rolling back all of the progress feminism has made is exactly the wrong answer.

Though I think that's kind of indicative of American politics right now; entirely too many people have this attitude of "my opinion is 100% right and if you disagree with any of it you disagree with all of it. That makes you an enemy that must be destroyed." That makes it completely impossible to have any sort of debate and debate is literally part of why democracy works.

Of course another unpopular opinion is that MRAs do have some legitimate grievances and are right about a few things. Doesn't make them any less terrible and they're still jerks but they aren't 100% wrong. Of course given a choice between a hardcore feminist and a hardcore MRA I'll side with the feminist. The feminist is probably not a fascist. The MRA probably is.

I mean really, the entire point of progress is to look at the way things are and say "hmm OK, we're wrong here, here, and here. Let's fix that." Nothing will ever be perfect so you make improvements where you can. It just isn't possible for a set of opinions or policies to be completely flawless so you kind of need to analyze and debate them.

ToxicSlurpee has a new favorite as of 04:42 on Jun 6, 2018

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Today there was no one I consciously pitied more than yeah I eat rear end. Even a war refugee is living for something and has something to struggle for,

By no means am I knowing. It's just that my gut tells me that yeah I eat rear end is the most unenviable person I've encountered today or encounter most days lately.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Of course another unpopular opinion is that MRAs do have some legitimate grievances and are right about a few things.

Without putting you on the spot, can you say what some of these legitimate grievances are?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Canemacar posted:

The wage gap is a statistical fallacy. It's been illegal on the Federal level to discriminate in pay on the basis of gender since 1963. The gap in earnings is due to how, broadly-speaking, men work more hours; take less time off; and seek higher paying fields.

Do you think that there is no wage gap between men and women doing the same job at the same skill and same hours? Or do you think the gap isn't as large as people say? I don't think companies have some grand conspiracy to pay women less, but I do think there are some institutional rot out there that keeps women down, at least a little bit.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Canemacar posted:

The wage gap is a statistical fallacy. It's been illegal on the Federal level to discriminate in pay on the basis of gender since 1963.

That’s not what the 78% figure is. Besides, proving sex discrimination in pay is not that easy given the litany of differences between any two people and the way companies forbid employees to discuss pay (even though that’s questionably legal) and the majority of US workers today are bound by arbitration agreements anyway.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Caufman posted:

Today there was no one I consciously pitied more than yeah I eat rear end. Even a war refugee is living for something and has something to struggle for,

By no means am I knowing. It's just that my gut tells me that yeah I eat rear end is the most unenviable person I've encountered today or encounter most days lately.

lol what? I haven't even posted anything particularly stupid (relatively speaking) recently, what's the deal with you and that other guy? Put your pity inside your rear end so I can eat it.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Caufman posted:

Without putting you on the spot, can you say what some of these legitimate grievances are?
MRAs are not incapable of identifying legitimate issues (eg male rates of suicide or homelessness, underperformance in some areas of education) but their worldview makes then unable to accurately identify the cause.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Canemacar posted:

This is a straw man argument. No one is saying that a man and a woman working in the same job for an hourly wage will be paid differently. That's not the issue. The issue is (among other things) the exact things you pointed out yourself. Why is it that men work more hours, take less time off and work in higher paying fields? Unless you think it's just a massive coincidence, there's got to be a reason for it.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

The thing that bothers me the most about that is that you can't criticize feminism at all without being branded an MRA.
People criticise aspects of feminism without being called MRAs all the time. It's a pretty major part of feminist discourse.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Of course another unpopular opinion is that MRAs do have some legitimate grievances and are right about a few things.
A lot of times they say things that sound like genuine grievances but turn out to just be camouflage for misogyny. Like, they start out talking about male victims of domestic abuse but right where you'd expect someone who actually cared about that issue to start talking about what they want to do about it they veer off into attacks on feminists or women. That's what makes them MRAs. Their claims of being all about focusing on problems afflicting men don't stand up to any kind of scrutiny because what they're actually focused on, to the exclusion of all else, is women.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Doctor Spaceman posted:

MRAs are not incapable of identifying legitimate issues (eg male rates of suicide or homelessness, underperformance in some areas of education) but their worldview makes then unable to accurately identify the cause.

I think anyone legitimately approaching those issues in good faith would probably fine common cause with feminists more often than not.

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich
The mortal kombat and street fighter games were great popcorn movies and are overall great representations of the games.

All the resident evil movies are guff.

Milla Jokovich isn't a particularly attractive women, she's way too skinny and boyish.

I'd bang Melissa Mccarthy and Amy Schumer, hell, I'd pay too.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

I read that MRAs started as a legit method of addressing some issues way back in the day, but then in the 80s those who had their heads on straight were all "oh wait, everything we need to address also falls under feminism" so they reintegrated.

Those who didn't remain so because of their misogyny, not because of their commitment to men's issues.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Shut the gently caress up about this feminism conspiracy or w/e. I said to stop bringing up politics and this isn't gonna fly as a replacement.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Time to dust off my favorite old Chestnut.

Oatmeal Raisin is the best cookie.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Aramek posted:

Nuke it from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Aramek posted:

Any form of raisin cookie, while I don't HATE them, are bad because they always trick me into thinking they will be the superior version from a distance (oatmeal+chocolate chip) and it's always a letdown when you first bite in to one.

e: vvv I got plenty of criticism when I posted dumb poo poo, and for the record I don't hate anyone. also nice meltdown

yeah I eat ass has a new favorite as of 14:38 on Jun 6, 2018

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Might be an unpop op but I hate it when mods jump in like that and expect posters to just go back to bullshitting about cookies with goons who have recently been revealed as extremely hateful garbage people. I get why it's a bad thing for the thread to get submerged in political discussion but all that accomplishes is shielding the truly reprehensible from any criticism or consequences.

I also hate that most posters seem to have no problem ignoring it and going back to bullshitting about cookies with vile shitheads.

Anyway Ill see yall in six, bye

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Aramek posted:

Why put raisin though. I want some oatmeal fig cookies.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

purple death ray posted:

I also hate that most posters seem to have no problem ignoring it and going back to bullshitting about cookies with vile shitheads.
It's really easy when you don't remember who anyone is. Like, there's maybe half a dozen people on these forums who've made enough of an impression on me to actually see their name and bring to mind any single fact about them.

The world's full of terrible people and you can't avoid interacting with all of them, all you can do is try to influence the overall culture in such a way as to marginalise their terrible beliefs. So holding grudges against individuals with whom you have minimal contact is kind of pointless anyway.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

purple death ray posted:

Unless you know who the person behind the account is, there's nothing to be done. Online struggle sessions are ineffective.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

purple death ray posted:

bullshitting about cookies with goons who have recently been revealed as extremely hateful garbage people.

I'm sorry. I don't try to be bad.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

PHUO: Raisins are garbage that degrade whatever they are in, both in texture and flavor.

Also, onions are the vegetable version of raisins.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Try making curry without onions. It tastes like bull poo poo.

Polyseme
Sep 6, 2009

GROUCH DIVISION

Chernabog posted:

PHUO: Raisins are garbage that degrade whatever they are in, both in texture and flavor.

Also, onions are the vegetable version of raisins.

I enjoy onions and raisins in several curry-adjacent recipes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I can't think of many things that have raisins in where dried cranberries wouldn't be like a thousand times better. (Maybe not curry. Although now I want to try that.)